PDA

View Full Version : Woman killed by cows !

norseman
03-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Two years ago, in South Wales, a woman was trampled by cows while walking her dog. The cows had calves and the dog was off it's leash.

Well, it's happened again in the same area under the same circumstances. Cows with calves and an excited dog running around, barking. Woman trampled by cows trying to protect their calves from a "wolf". There were warning signs posted concerning dogs to be kept on a leash.
Really, some dog owners are as brainless as their pets !

A few years back, when the Right to Roam Act came in, I was on warden duty in the National Park advising people about what they could and could not do. By and large, the public [especially the serious walkers] were perfectly sensible EXCEPT [you guessed it] dog owners. Many were very abusive about their Right to allow their dogs to run wild on nesting sites for grouse and the like. And don't get me started on the "Right" to foul the streets wherever and whenever !

Silver
03-09-2011, 08:10 AM
It's hard to believe in a country where horses and hounds have been so much a part of life, they train the horses but the heck with the dogs. Dogs can be trained to behave on or offf a leash. Simply amazing & sad.

norseman
03-09-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi SG. Half the problem is that we never allow dogs to "grow up", they are kept permanently in the puppy state by their owners. Perhaps it is too easy to become a dog owner - they are the one's who need training :D

Squatchit
03-09-2011, 09:05 AM
My window cleaner was headbutted by a cow - knocked him unconscious. Same reason - she was protecting her young. No dog involved in this story - he simply trespassed into her 'space'.

They're massive creatures when you get up close and personal, aren't they?

norseman
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
AND so tasty ! :D

seahorse
03-09-2011, 10:46 AM
"we never allow dogs to "grow up", they are kept permanently in the puppy state by their owners"
Now i know the reason i had to go to school all those years....
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky084.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Kaere
03-09-2011, 01:12 PM
They're massive creatures when you get up close and personal, aren't they?

Massive, indeed! A full grown cow looks down on me :icon_eek: alarming...

Silver
03-09-2011, 02:56 PM
This is turning into a very funny thread! omg

Silver
03-09-2011, 05:57 PM
Massive, indeed! A full grown cow looks down on me :icon_eek: alarming...

~giggle~ either you have very large cows or you're really short, Kaere:D

Squatchit
03-09-2011, 06:33 PM
http://www.agsci.unimelb.edu.au/Images/cow_face.jpg

Kaere
03-09-2011, 06:58 PM
~giggle~ either you have very large cows or you're really short, Kaere:D

Both! The cows are big here (cattle) and... yes, I am short (5'2).

Kaere
03-09-2011, 06:59 PM
http://www.agsci.unimelb.edu.au/Images/cow_face.jpg

Hahaha!

Drive by the fields here and imagine thirty of these ladies all staring at the car as it goes by, their heads moving in unison. They really are such funny critters.

Silver
03-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Both! The cows are big here (cattle) and... yes, I am short (5'2).

I had to ask...as a teen, I visited a cow factory, lol been a city slicker so long...forgot what they're called oh yeah, a farm, dairy farm, what-ever, lol. I'm 5'9" my mom was 5'2" also.

Native spirit
03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
:smile: I live in a very rural area to see cows is common place, i used to walk my dogs over fields where there were cows, they were always under control, but never when the cows had calves would i walk them that way,
i have spoken to farmers whos cows sheep etc, have been mauled to death by dogs, one even stood by the gate with a shot gun in his hand, ready to shoot any stray dog.
you couldnt blame him he was protecting his animals, from the thick owners and there out of control dogs.

Namaste

norseman
03-09-2011, 08:57 PM
That's as maybe but on the moors we have carnivorous sheep. Thugs dressed in wool ! :D

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/oddsends/Scotch_blackface.jpg

Squatchit
03-09-2011, 09:52 PM
HAHAHAHA

I remember when I was climbing some hills in Derbyshire (back in the good old days when I could climb). I'd just come to a brow and was practically on my hands and knees, I was so knackered.

My head popped up above the brow, and there was a sheep looking down at me. I don't know who was more surprised. The expression on its face was, "what the heck are you doing here?"

:D

Silver
03-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Cute, cute story, squatch!

norseman
04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
HAHAHAHA

I remember when I was climbing some hills in Derbyshire (back in the good old days when I could climb). I'd just come to a brow and was practically on my hands and knees, I was so knackered.

My head popped up above the brow, and there was a sheep looking down at me. I don't know who was more surprised. The expression on its face was, "what the heck are you doing here?"

:D

Softy sheep in Derbyshire. Yorkshire sheep would mug you for your sandwiches ! :D

Racer X
05-09-2011, 04:03 AM
Woman killed by cows !

That is just poor Media coverage......

It should say "Idiot woman killed by her own stupidity"

The cows were not to blame, but our EGOS sure do not like accepting responsibility.

Sangress
05-09-2011, 04:47 AM
This womans death has hopefully brought new awareness among other dog owners. It was a misfortunate accident and a mistake on her part, she payed the ultimate price.

I think rather than joking and focusing on judgements about how idiotic people can be....we could perhaps be a little more honourable and respectfull of the sacrefice this living breathing person made for the sake of allowing her dog to run free.

I might seem harsh, but I'd prefer to treat others with equal respect in death as in life regardless of how or why they died.

norseman
05-09-2011, 07:33 AM
Hold on there, Sangress. What do you imagine would have happened if the farmer had been there with a shotgun ? Have you any idea how many farm animals are killed every year by dogs running loose ? However, don't blame the dogs, they are just showing their origins and the total lack of control by their owners. There seems to be an attitude of divine rights on the part of some dog owners. Only today another young child savaged by a so-called "pet" ! With pet ownership comes responsibilities !

Sangress
05-09-2011, 07:52 AM
Hold on there, Sangress. What do you imagine would have happened if the farmer had been there with a shotgun ? Have you any idea how many farm animals are killed every year by dogs running loose ? However, don't blame the dogs, they are just showing their origins and the total lack of control by their owners. There seems to be an attitude of divine rights on the part of some dog owners. Only today another young child savaged by a so-called "pet" ! With pet ownership comes responsibilities !
I'm not saying what that person was doing or allowing that dog to do was acceptable or correct, nor am I disagreeing with anything anyone has said.

My initial response was that a persons life has been lost for an unfortunate reason and that is a shame. My second thought was that if the person had been more carefull and had they not been in that moment at that time, they would still be alive.

I wont judge the person herself for her actions, nor the dog, nor the cow, nor anyone who has lost their life in the same way. It happened the way it happened and it will again if anyone is ever in that situation.

My point in being so blunt and forthright was to say that everyone deserves some form of respect no matter how they have died. The negative judgements and joking manner connected to this topic didn't seem to mesh well with the serious subject itself, so I thought I would mention it for the sake of my own peace of mind.

It's nothing personal, just saying it as I see it.

Silver
05-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Right. Nothing wrong with anyone's jokes or comments here. I think you do have a valid point, though, I myself think it's wrong not hideous or horrible to go tsk tsk and go overboard with the bearing down with the guilt because that won't change people, sad to say. It sure would be nice to find a way to get through to dog owners that training IS available and highly advisable. Maybe some sort of ad campaign some how.

Sangress
05-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Free outdoor mobile dog training classes would be beneficial for people who don't have the cash or the motivation to organise, learn or practice training their dog on their own. Door to door services would be good as well to get people involved.

These days anyone can buy a pet, so a short question sheet before buying a dog to know that the owner is responsable would be another good thing (dog shelters do this to some extent, but pet shops and private sellers and breeders dont.)

More notices and issues of the fines applying to certain misconduct of pets would be good too.

A lot of these things are handled by the local council in my area, who do absolutely nothing about the subject because pet owners are easily on the bottom of their to do list.

I think charities could raise funds for the suggestion I put up the top, but getting people together and aware of the multitude of issues would be difficult. Figuring out where to put the funds would be even harder.

Thats about all I've got in the ways of helping dog owners to sort their kanine companions out.

norseman
05-09-2011, 08:10 AM
I admit that dogs are a "thing" with me. Even as I posted this morning, I read in my paper that attacks by dogs on Guide Dogs for the Blind had doubled in a single year in the UK.
As a Park Volunteer Warden, I took a lot of abuse from dog owners over telling them to keep their dogs on a leash during nesting season on open moors. Some owners lack any sense of responsibility.

norseman
05-09-2011, 08:14 AM
p.s. Compulsory micro-chipping of all dogs and a paid-for dog licence would help as would neutering. Put simply, there are just too many dogs in the UK.

Silver
05-09-2011, 08:15 AM
Sure seems like your area could use a few dog whisperers. Maybe demonstrations by trainers how it's useful and they can 'show off' with their dogs and in the process teach them control and make it something to be proud of instead of fighting that bad attitude they have.

norseman
05-09-2011, 08:19 AM
In the UK, 7.2 million dogs and 7.3 million cats. Those stats should horrify everyone.

Silver
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
In the UK, 7.2 million dogs and 7.3 million cats. Those stats should horrify everyone.

That is pretty amazing, why aren't they ashamed of not doing something about it?

Sangress
05-09-2011, 08:22 AM
I've had dogs and other animals at my side all my life so I have quite a complex emotional understanding and attachment to animals in general. My opinion of the dog depends on the dog in question.

I actually never trained my dogs in any traditional sense, rather I simply let them know when they had overstepped those rules with a glare and a growly voice, and they remembered what I showed them. All of my dogs did whatever I told them to do by the time they were 6 months old without me consciously teaching them.

I suppose people who haven't had that kind of close contact with animals don't have the advantage of just "knowing" how to communicate with their dogs properly.

But, as they say, you can always teach an old dog new tricks, so thats no excuse for anyone to skip disiplening and introducing their canines to society's expectations.

norseman
05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
SG - USA 49.3 m cats/dogs. Seems like you have the same issues.

Silver
05-09-2011, 08:26 AM
Right Sangress, some people treat their dogs like spoiled brats. Then they act like it. It seems so strange that anyone would want to live with an animal that doesn't have any manners and can be potentially dangerous/deadly.

Silver
05-09-2011, 08:28 AM
SG - USA 49.3 m cats/dogs. Seems like you have the same issues.

Didn't know the stats, but I know that there's plenty of media coverage encouraging people to do the right thing. Not really surprising and have naturally heard the horror stories, pitbulls mauling and killing kids or old people or whomever.

It just makes me wish people would get smart.

shandy61
05-09-2011, 03:57 PM
It's not really the dogs fault, they should be kept under control by a responsible owner. people should have to pass a test to own an animal as most do not have a clue on what being a responsible owner entails.
It saddens me that so called 'devil dogs' are maligned in the press when really it's the owners who want a 'status' dog to enhance their image ..... or so they think !
This subject makes me very 'ranty' ......... as you will now realise !!
S
x

Silver
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Good points shandy. If the aspca is willing to give free spay/neuters to pets adopted, why not free training vouchers or something when the dogs are the right age.

shandy61
06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
That would be an excellent idea Silvergirl, but the only problem with that is the mentality of certain owners, who are the ones where the main problems arise. They simply wouldn't take their dog for the training as they appear to enjoy having a dog that other people fear.
Responsible owners generally have well behaved animals, it's the bad owners that need to be tackled. Thou I have no idea how that could be done practically.
S
x

Sangress
06-09-2011, 08:59 AM
it's the bad owners that need to be tackled. Thou I have no idea how that could be done practically.
Simple, fine the owners, give their dogs a new home. Ban them from getting another dog until they pass a test then monitor how they care for their new dog until the lesson is well and truly learned.

Anyone who has the capacity to be responsible will have a dog after that point, the majority of the nit wits who want a dog for some superficial purpose will not even bother with it again.

Silver
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I think that's a great idea, S.

Sangress
06-09-2011, 08:55 PM
*Looks up at my previous comment* Wow, for once being irritaited actually helped me write a logical and viable response. Maybe I should get in that mood more often....

Silver
06-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Thumbs up from me, Sangress! well done~*