PDA

View Full Version : Contraception

Flowers1992
02-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I have been curious on this subject for awhile. So as directly as possible.

What are the views of contraception and abortion between the different traditions in Wicca? Does any tradition condone either of the above?

Finnster
02-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I got this from Yahoo answers and it just about sums this question up..

Wicca doesn't have doctrine relating to those things. Wicca is a not a religion with a list of do's and do not's nor do we have high up clergy that tell us how to think or act on such issues.

However, Wicca does have the Wiccan Rede which states; An it harm none, do as you will, and Wicca is a religion that places heavy emphasis on personal responsibility. We have other ethical guidelines as well. Each Wiccan must make decisions about things like abortion on their own.

So, the thing is for you to act in a responsible manner ... for instance, if you're 16 and still living at home with your parents, just say no would be the best policy. Think before you act and usually the best course of action will reveal itself.

Just my $.02....

Flowers1992
02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Fair enough.

I thought that may be the case, but I am also curious on the different traditions within wicca. Like for example, does the alexandrian tradition have different views on the matter compared to the celtic tradition? Are there any traditions that disagree with it?

Finnster
02-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Nope... at least in my search. Wicca itself has no say on the matter. It's all a matter of personal choice.

Flowers1992
02-09-2011, 02:30 PM
fair enough :)

Sungirl
02-09-2011, 03:44 PM
pagan not wiccan here but thought I would throw my 2p in.

Firstly, I often cringe at the sight of the word abortion on forums... it's often a touch paper for much anger and argument... hopefully you have got away with it here.

I am pro-choice. Not because I am pagan, because I am pro-choice in many things in life.

The paganism I follow does not comment on this at all. There is no "sin" so you cannot do anything wrong. But, there is a higher power imho that hands out karma... so we have to take responsibility for the consequences of our choices.

Lostgirl
02-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Trad witch here, and as far as im aware there are no rules as such about anything like that. We usually go with taking responsibility for your actions. Very much like tilia said taking responsibility for your own actions. Im not a huge believer in the threefold, i dont follow the rede as it is wiccan, but i am very much a believer in taking responsibility for your actions, and then accepting the consequences for the actions you have taken.