PDA

View Full Version : Wicca and Catholicism

Psychotheosophy
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
What are the similarities between Wicca and Catholicism?

Kaldorei
02-09-2011, 03:13 AM
I am reading this book by Emma Wilby, Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic and she talks about how "the "old faith" was riddled with magic and superstition, much of it promoted and supported by the Church itself".

Some of the similarities in the book that are talked about, reciting prayers/spells or charms over and over and objects like communion bread or holy water were used as sacraments or in magic they were used as poweful tools to cure or promote goodness to oneself. In this book, the author also goes on to talk about how William Tyndale "denounced the Catholics" and compared them to people who practiced witchcraft.

Not sure if this really answered your question but when I read your post I thought of this book. So far it is a very interesting read. Im sure others in here will have better answers for you.

nightowl
02-09-2011, 03:35 AM
I am neither, but I would say rituals and mystic beliefs. Many of the sacraments and rituals of the Catholic Church have roots in paganism.

nightowl

Finnster
02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Catholicism and Christianity have pulled form the pagan traditions extensively. From using incense and the altar to the holidays through out the year. I even read once about the similarities between Jesus and Hercules as well as Buddha.

If you Google the question itself, you will find some interesting links.

Animus27
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
What are the similarities between Wicca and Catholicism?
http://www.angelfire.com/biz5/Contrasts/

The above is not the best, but it's a decent start so long as you keep in mind "Wiccans believe ____" & "Christians think ___" is not the full truth. Because there's a large diversity of opinions within the two religions on various matters. So keep that in mind.

I hope that helps :wink: