PDA

View Full Version : God/Goddess of Animals/Wildlife?

passionatesoul
29-08-2011, 03:49 AM
Hi all. I'm super new to Wicca and am doing lot's of reading and researching. One thing I have been having some trouble finding is if there is a God and/or Goddess of animals and/or wildlife. I run an animal rescue group and have adopted many pets and work in an animal related job and I would like to find a diety that is a part of that. I've been looking through lists but haven't been able to find anything. Any help would be appreciated. :)

Silvergirl
29-08-2011, 04:34 AM
St. Francis of Assissi (it's Christian) is the closest thing to a 'god' that loves and cares for animals. I wish I could be more help.

Animus27
29-08-2011, 04:45 AM
Artemis/Diana is the protector of wildlife and wild-places. And Dionysos is connected with various exotic animals (to ancient Greece at least), such as bears, lions and tigers.

There's also some ideas that Cernunnos, as represented on the Gundenstrup cauldron is connected with wildlife, but as I understand it, he's more theorized as deity of the underworld.

That's all that pops into my mind right now, but I can probably dig up more if you'd like.

passionatesoul
29-08-2011, 06:32 AM
Thanks Silvergirl and Animus! St. Francis of Assissi I know of as I was raised Christian and therefore I would rather avoid anything from that religion. :P

Artemis/Diana I will have to look into since that might be the closest I can get but I'd really prefer one who is specifically for animals. I appreciate Dionysos being about various exotic animals since I rescue ferrets and they're considered "exotic" but I have a feeling that's not what they meant. :P

If you are able to dig up more, Animus, I would REALLY appreciate that!!

Silvergirl
29-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Gosh, even if it's a good part of the religion? That's a shame ~ just teasing a little. But really, what's wrong with adopting something positive from ANY religion? Poor Francis!

passionatesoul
29-08-2011, 06:42 AM
Haha, no, I know what you mean. He's a Saint, though, and I really don't think I could view him as a Diety, especially when he believes all the things that I was trying to believe until I was 19 and accepted that while it works for others it had only ever been theory to me. I don't see much point in trying to commune with someone who would certainly not agree with what I'm currently doing and believing. :P

Silvergirl
29-08-2011, 06:44 AM
I have to joke with you, you know that. People change! (I would think especially saints, lol.) Carry on, I wish I had more on that for you.

passionatesoul
29-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Haha, good point! Maybe after St. Francis passed he changed his mind about his beliefs and decided to go the wiccan route instead. ;) it's possible but I kinda doubt it. You do never know, though! Thanks for your thoughts, Silvergirl, I do appreciate them. He was definitely a good one to consider and I may look more into him in the future. :)

norseman
29-08-2011, 07:42 AM
Lord of the Animals, an ancient pagan god, is Cernunnos, the masculine force of Nature, the archetypal Horned God. Also referred to as The Lord. His female equivalent is The Lady.

Finnster
29-08-2011, 12:35 PM
Pan - Greek god of the wild and flocks and other aspects of nature and music as well.

norseman
29-08-2011, 03:07 PM
passionatesoul, for a broad look - www.pantheon.org

LadyMoondancer
29-08-2011, 10:01 PM
In the Egyptian pantheon, there are many gods and godesses for animals, including Hathor, the cow goddess, Selket, goddess of the scorpion, there's even an hippopatomus goddess, which my brains can't recall her name (for shame). But for an animal shelter, probably for cats and dogs, there is Bast and Sekhmet for cats, and Anubis for dogs.

passionatesoul
30-08-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks everyone. I've checked out all your recommendations and the best I could find was the Lord and Lady who don't even really cover what I want. I guess I have this image of a goddess with animals and nature doing healing, caring for the creatures, and simply exuding love and compassion. I guess the closest to that would be the Lady?

passionatesoul
30-08-2011, 04:14 AM
What about "Flidais (the Christmas Fairy & Goddess of the Woodlands)"? I've read multiple websites talking about her and they're always different minus the fact that she is ruler of the beasts, however in some stories she loves and cares for them and in others she sounds like a bit of a b*tch. :P why can't there be one specific place that has the exact truth? It'd be so much easier! :P

norseman
30-08-2011, 07:31 AM
passionatesoul - Lady does go by other names. One of which is Mother Earth or Gaia.

Lostgirl
30-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I thought the God and the Goddess represented all things nature .......

norseman
30-08-2011, 02:43 PM
This is the way of it in Celtic legend. Lord is the masculine principle of Nature and Lady the feminine principle of Nature. Really, passionatesoul, it is whoever you decide it is. :smile: Both Lord and Lady have more than one aspect. Example - the Lord = Cernunnos = Lord of the Animals = Kerne = Herne.
Pan was mentioned earlier. Pan = Green Man = Wild Spirit of Nature [as in growing things, not animals particularly].

Lostgirl
30-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I alwyas thought Pan was seen as like the devil...but thats a christian dooo dad so im baffled!

Animus27
30-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I alwyas thought Pan was seen as like the devil...but thats a christian dooo dad so im baffled!
Pan was seen as the rustic country god by the Greeks. If I recall correctly: his major cults of worship were in Arcadia, which was seen as kind of 'country bumpkin' by the Polis Greeks such as Athens. But there's was no evilness about Pan. Except for the idea that sudden fear people experience in wild locations was caused by him (PANic!).

Here's a really good site for all aspects of Hellenic myth: http://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/Pan.html

EDIT: I was right about Arcadia! I just looked over the page. :tongue:

Lostgirl
30-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Thank you Animus21 thats fabulous :D x

Animus27
31-08-2011, 02:58 AM
No problem! :smile: