PDA

View Full Version : History of Religion and Spirituality recommendations

Natasha
26-08-2011, 08:02 PM
Can anyone recommend a book exploring religion and spirituality?

I read a New Earth and it certainly touches on the spiritual core of all religions at the start but Im interested in really exploring that and trying to understand the 'division' today. I know a few people who were brought up strict Christian and have now turned conscious/spiritual and have serious difficulties with their families etc accepting this. I'm interested to understand why this happens and maybe find something that can help them and also trace back the history of religion and spirituality.

Thanks! xx

indiesongwriter
29-08-2011, 04:00 AM
I didn't agree with everything in it, but Ken Wilbur's "A Brief History of Everything" has a nice dissemination of history, religion, philosophy, psychology, sociology, and science that maintains and agnostic/buddhist perspective. He has a way of categorizing and recognizing patterns throughout history that can be ingenious and/or presumptuous and oversimplifying. But he's coming from a genuine place and stumbles upon some great revelations. Can be a bit dense and heady to read at times, though...

flyingunicorn
06-09-2011, 08:30 PM
try "the hero with a thousand faces"..explores similiar myths in every different culture in the world and can direct you towards unity in everything and religion as most of these myths come from there.