PDA

View Full Version : Are there any PRAYERS for agnostics....?

Lost_TeddyBear
19-01-2007, 07:59 AM
I myself have to admit that I am going through some tough times right now. I have thought about PRAYING but since I am very confused spiritually about whether there's a God, how he manifests himself, whether or not Christ is the son of God etc.... I feel kinda funny praying.

After all, how can someone who is agnostic and confused expect a God who you basically are saying "well, if you're there, I hope you hear my prayers" to be there for you?

This whole thing is driving me nuts. I mean, I spend most of my waking hours in a state of confusion over issues like this. Sure... I'm probably suffering from depression and maybe a little SAD (seasonal affective disorder) because of the short winter days but believe me, I have had these issues for a long time and am reaching out for help.

Is it OK for an agnostic to pray to God even if he's not sure he's there? Would it be wrong for me to even try unless I just wake up one day, and through blind faith say... "OK, I guess I'll believe" ... and then start praying?

In closing... I am looking to find if there's a God and try and develop some kind of relationship with him and just wanted to know if there are any prayers for people in the same boat as myself.

Thank You

DAVID

dreamer
19-01-2007, 08:27 AM
hey David check this out www.thesecret.tv it has lots of useful tips. Maybe even some clues that might point towards who God is if you are interested to find out? I found the best prayer is to do what makes you truly happy and trust that in doing you are starting a chain of events that will bring happiness to you. Also learn to ask for what you want, trust and receive with thanks its that simple.

Moonflower
19-01-2007, 02:02 PM
:angel8: Greetings David

I am a healer but not personally religious as in the need to give any names ie: God, Buddha, Allah etc but I do believe that their is an Absolute Infinite, the Divine, Master of the Universe & whether we pray or not really does not make a difference what matters is the intention, positive affirmations opening up your heart to give love which in turn will positively come back to you in all ways.

You can ask that the Highest of Spirits, Archeangels , Angels & your spirit guide to help you on your path they are waiting & will never refuse to help but you need to invite them give them permission, welcome them into your being, your aura but before you ask them ensure that you ground & protect yourself.

Love & Light Moonflower x

cweiters
19-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Hello Teddybear I believe God is comforting you right now weather you believe or not. Its okay not to believe in God, this all apart of the design. We have the power of choice IMHO that once we excersice this power with love in our hearts we will relize that the choices are all the same.....

Funny; the more I change my prospective spiritually the more simularities I see.
Thank you teddybear for having the courage to say you are having a tough time right now

IMHO this is a prayer, you have just prayed to God, you have not directly asked for clarity but the wonderful thing about God is "God knows the heart of every man"

I myself have to admit that I am going through some tough times right now. I have thought about PRAYING but since I am very confused spiritually about whether there's a God, how he manifests himself, whether or not Christ is the son of God etc.... I feel kinda funny praying.

I like to think that every beat of my heart is reporting to the Almight, constantly and the same for everything that has breath, all of nature All answers to GOD imho. Why not since all this is God's creations?

After all, how can someone who is agnostic and confused expect a God who you basically are saying "well, if you're there, I hope you hear my prayers" to be there for you?

I feel so simple sometime but there is one thing about me that I am proud to say:
I am a Mother so I am love.

May this day and all the days to follow be filled with peace, love, and prosperity as you grow stronger spiritually.

I Love you teddybear

Love to all
cw

traveller
20-01-2007, 02:14 AM
The only agnostic prayer I'm aware of goes something like this:

God (if indeed there is a God; I'm not certain) save (if "save" is indeed the right word; I'm not sure) my soul (if I have a soul, that is).

earth2bella
20-01-2007, 02:41 AM
I state this simply as my own personal beliefs and not with the intention to swing you in any particular direction: Agnostic or not, He is still listening to your prayers. You don't need a religion (I sure don't) or even to believe in God (I didn't used to) to be accepted by Him. Prayer does feel funny at first but there is no particular way to do it; begin however you feel comfortable (or even if you don't yet). Just do it and at least you can say you've made a start. If you're looking for answers and spiritual enlightenment, you've come to the right place. I hope you find what you are looking for. :)

tiltjlp
20-01-2007, 04:58 AM
I'm the most non-religious person there is, but I pray a lot, but think of them more as Good Vibes. I don't think it's important what or how you beileve, but that you're making an effort to understand your place in the whole scheme of things, and want to imrove yourself personally and spiritually.

John

dark_veil
27-01-2007, 04:57 PM
again I have been where you are, a dear friend of mine said one day pray what have you got to loose, I didnt even know how to pray to be honest, so I did start praying and I saw results endless results, mainly I prayed for others, friends who were sick, some with grade 3 cancers, I got my replies they are now all recovered

so I would say pray what have you got to loose, give it a try see if you see results

huggs
dark veil

zozja
30-01-2007, 06:01 AM
David,

I think I understand what you are going through. Honestly I don't think we can know anything 100%. People say they believe in God and such -- and I am absolutely not saying that there is not a God -- but what does that mean to you? It all comes down to ourselves really.

But if we can fully embrace that sense of not knowing, and accept this truth, then I think our world becomes much greater. I have found most of my beliefs to limit my actual experience of life.

I have also found that when I am suffering (and I investigate into what I am actually feeling) I find a belief at the core of that suffering- that stress, depression, etc. For example I believe that I need to know if there is a God. And yet, I don't have the answer. That immediately equals stress and anxiety in my life... a pressure to figure it out, and confusion because I don't know how.

Instead of trying to figure it out, I look at the actual belief and question it. Then I see if it is true. And if it is not, then where is my suffering?

Goodnight,
Rebecca

Post editied to remove commercial link. Forum Staff

aikoterashima
05-04-2007, 01:29 AM
hi. my names ryuu(nickname). i have the same poblem that was mentioned above, but it seems to sway back and forth between what was mentioned and nothing short of an atheistic depression. for the last 2 years i have not believed in any religion. although this brought many questions and such, i just believed i was too analytical for my own good. sometimes i get really scared that what scientists say is true and everything can be explained on the physical level. please dont think ill of me. ive looked into buddhism, wicca and others but cant find anything to bring comfort to me for a very long time. the comfort only lasted a couple weeks. i used to think that if pweople from the old days had ideas so similar, chances are it was real and true. ive never had a spiritual encounter, like what you guys mention in some posts, and i dont think i can blindly follow with faith. what i am really afraid of is death, dissapearing forever. this has become even worse over the last bit of time on account of two electrical shocks ive recieved in the past month:icon_frown: i have no funds to buy these books on spiirtuality like what has been offered on several posts. once i completely rejected science completly. i kind of still do. please dont regard me to be an atheist or wierd like a lot of people have when i told them about this. also have you ever felt a sort of discoection from your body, like you are there but not really there, like your watching a movie?

i pray in my own way asking god to forgive me if he really is there, but when i came and found this forum, it made me think someone on here could offer a bit of guidence. my niece and i still practice wicca and such so i understand a lot of terms on that by the way.

please reply.:redface:

kundalini
05-04-2007, 01:34 AM
Hi aikoterashima,

I really believe that the solution to your problem is really very simple - Meditation. You are not weird or strange and no-one here will think ill of you for that; only they will admire your honesty.

My advice to you is to meditate every day with the intent of searching your Self for the aspect of God that is within you - your Divinity.

Pounamu
05-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Hello aikoterashima,

It came to me that to explore Neale Donald Walsch's books called "Conversations with God" might be interesting to you... Walsch, like you, didn't believe that God could really answer a prayer or speak to him, until one day he addressed God in a state of pure frustration at how his life was going, and got a major surprise when a voice in his mind answered back!

This went on for some months, I think, all the while Walsch took notes and eventually wrote down the answers word for word... He found the conversations so useful in expanding his understanding of his life processes and why he was having the life he was experiencing; eventually, to his great surprise, it was suggested that he publish a series of books, thus to help others like himself who were puzzled and confused by what was happening in their lives. He has made it his life's work to publish these things and has a website with free downloadable books, podcasts, etc. The website address is:
http://www.nealedonaldwalsch.com/actionteam.cfm

I have read two of his initial books and found them very easy to understand and very explanatory of how we are creators of our own lives (mostly unconsciously, since these philosophies are not widely taught to children while they are growing up). I think you might enjoy this author.

Blessings towards your goal!

Pounamu

aikoterashima
05-04-2007, 11:53 AM
thanks you guys. ill look into that site and see if his book is at my local library. maybe ill finally be ale to sit and have a peaceful mind for once.:smile: like i said ive studied a bit of wicca and zen, so maybe ill finally find out my own truth.

by the way, i have this theory about some reliions ill post it on another thread in a different ssection. thank you again.

Moonflower
05-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Hi Aikoterashima

Welcome first & foremost to SF I hope you find some answers to your questions there are lots of helpful people here to guide & assist you unconditionally & without judgement if you wish..

I think that you just need to drop the thought that you are doing anything wrong many people do not practice any faith as in religion but this does not make them a lesser person. You are perfect just the way you are!!

I personally do not practice any religion it creates too much negativity when it is supposed to create positivity, goodness & understanding but instead of bringing people together in some cases it causes disaggreement/disharmony between people killing, maiming & torturing for their beliefs.

The spiritual way is the only way for me, it works very well for me personally.

Love light & blessings Moonflower xx

TzuJanLi
05-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Greetings..

"Prayer" is a label that can cause some difficulties.. talk to the Universe, have a conversation with the Cosmic Consciousness.. no formalities needed, just a clear intent that you speak your truth, then.. just listen.. the Universe speaks clearly, IF we listen without preconceived notions of HOW it should speak..

Be well..

GoldChord
05-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Howdy,

What an interesting discussion. It is fascinating to read everyone's interpretation. I think it is really important to not unproblematically conflate God and religion. I see these as two very different concepts. I believe in God, but not in religion. Not to offend anyone who does practice a religion, but I find religious doctrine to be very limiting in its scope for what counts as faith and worship. But I do understand the comfort that religious practice can offer.

I was an atheist for many years precisely because of my religious phobia. But since I have learnt to let go of religion being the only framework for understanding the divine, I have come to believe very strongly in God, Buddah, Allah, Yaweh, or whatever you would like to call a higher power/concsiousness from which we (on this physical plane) are part of, derived from and will return to. This forum is part of that project for me.

Importantly, Jesus did exist. Whether you believe he was the son of God or not, he certainly rocked at the 'law of attraction'.

It's OK to not 'believe' in God. The fact that you are thinking about this question is really important. It means you will find your own way to spirit from the uniqueness that is you. There is nothing more divine than that.

Take care.

Muddler
08-04-2007, 06:31 PM
Hi David. Why Lost TeddyBear? As someone who has done a few yards on depression & SAD, I can understand where you're at. My take on where you're at is that you are at the 'budding' stage of your spiritual journey. Don't be hard on yourself now. Life will unfold & Gold will reveal him/herself in the right time. Imagine the frustration of a rose bud (for example):"I think there's light out there but I'm not sure. I just can't see it & it's not doing anything for me right now..."

Be patient, buddy. You can't force yourself to believe. It will unfold in time.

But your attitude is great.