PDA

View Full Version : No Self Readings

Tara
11-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I can't seem to do readings for myself. Only for others. Anyone else the same way?

(I think I'm just too critical for myself)

norseman
11-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Reading for yourself, you will tend to be either worse possible case scenario or best possible case. It's inevitable :D

glpoisson
11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I have found that with Tarot I get different information than with intuitive reading. I have very limited practice with Tarot and not knowing the meanings of the cards other than looking them up helps me to have perspective and distance on the reading which increases the accuracy when I read for myself. I have a whole lot of practice with readings of the intuitive variety and find it hard to sort the truth out from the usual daily mind chatter when reading for myself. With others it is much easier, for some reason, to drop the background mind chatter and give the information they need.

Grant

NiteOwl
11-08-2011, 07:07 PM
It's hard to stay neutral. Set an intention before you lay your cards to answer your question, and try reading it as if your friend is asking the question. When you take a step back, the meaning is easier to see.

Good luck and have fun!

Medium_Laura
11-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Reading for yourself, you will tend to be either worse possible case scenario or best possible case. It's inevitable :D

What Norseman said. :) I never do readings for myself.

abikisses
11-08-2011, 07:16 PM
I personally believe that the whole point of having any spiritual 'gifts' is to use them to aid others. When you give you will receive. It is most common not to be able to read for the self. However when you are in a position to 'know thyself' you will not be requiring any readings. I'm working on it lol.

Blessings
Abi _/\_

Neville
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
It is notoriously difficult to remain objective when reading for one self, we try to make the reading fit us instinctively.

Docha
11-08-2011, 08:00 PM
When reding for myself, I ask as I always do for everyone, what do I need to hear?

Then I read the book as if I had a reader in front of me. I don't need someone else to ask the right questions to get me thinking. If my question involves another I read as if I am reading for that other person.

It is difficult to be objective but its no different than reading someone else.

By helping yourself, you become better at helping others. :)

Medium_Laura
11-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Docha you will still make the book meanings fit you. It's human nature.

Docha
11-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Well yes, but you do the same for others...

No reading is purely objectional, intuition is personal.

Medium_Laura
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I don't know the person so I can't make the reading fit them. For me, I know what I want to happen so I can easily make the cards reflect it.

OceanWaves19161
11-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I can read for myself but not when issues are of extreme importance to me or I'm caught up in them.... I lack the detachment. I also find it it easier to differentiate between others energy flows rather than my own...they seem alot clearer fo some reason.

Heptasteros
12-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I do readings for myself sometimes, or for friends or those I trust - mine very rarely have problems with accuracy, and when they do I find it is because of misinterpretation - those moments of realization when it's like "Argh! I thought the card meant this but it meant this, it's so painfully obvious - I should've seen that!" The cards themselves are always really accurate - and blunt in their delivery of the truth, I must say, most likely because they have my rather blunt energy all through them haha.

Self readings can be tough mostly when you try to fit the cards' meanings into your own understanding - when the telling of future events especially is often hard to frame in such a way, since of course these are things that have not yet happened often including new people or new situations which are tough to understand even when you're told of them ahead of time. But when those things come to pass I always sort of laugh about it, the cards are accurate even if at the time I had a hard time making sense of them precisely. It's kind of funny how it goes...

whitelotus
12-08-2011, 04:32 AM
I will also agree with norseman.......

green
12-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I can't seem to do readings for myself. Only for others. Anyone else the same way?

(I think I'm just too critical for myself)

some card readers can't do reading for themselves, others do, it takes lots of practice, getting to know yourself and missing the spot from time to time. but it is possible.

i don't remember whom i'm citing at the moment but i found this to be a very helpful exercise:
spread the cards for yourself, but you will have to do 3 readings, one after the other, using the same spread and the same cards.
the first reading you give yourself the most horrible, worst scenario possible. let all your fears surface and present themselves. go as black and dark as you can there, and write it down, just to make sure.

next reading, using the same spread and cards, give yourself the most optimistic reading, let your heart and wishes talk, make it as pink and nice as possible, a fairy tale come true. go to the most positive extremes you can think of. write it down.

after doing these two, look at the cards again, and give yourself a reading, a balanced one, not too sweet no too dark, but now you will know when you start letting your wishes take over the reading or when your fears starting to take over the reading. keep balance and keep either away from taking control over the reading.
it takes practice, and it takes time, but it is possible.

also it is good that you know yourself, what moods you are into at the moment of the reading, what you wish for, what you fear from, and so on. use the cards as a mirror to your present situation, don't try to predict what will happen, but ask what you can do to make your wishes happen, this way you will get advice on your path and be able to do something and not just sit and wait for things to happen or not in your life.

hope this helps

G

Eelco
13-08-2011, 05:20 AM
I don't know the person so I can't make the reading fit them. For me, I know what I want to happen so I can easily make the cards reflect it.

Hi Medium Laura,

You make this sound as a bad thing. Why?
We as humans create our world don't we.. So our reading can be used to set the intention stronger I would say. Either by creating the worst or best scenario. The cards may just help manifest it by empowering our beliefs around the question involved. I would say that that would be a magical trait of the cards.

With Love
Eelco

Docha
13-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Good point Green!

I never read for myself seriously when in a lot of termoil. Those are one card reads, to get my thoughts to quit looping. A different focus.

I am very intune to my moods etc. I also try not to read for others if I'm not able to clear my focus.

green
13-08-2011, 07:25 AM
yes Docha, i know what you mean, i also use a lot of one card's reading for myself, it is a good direction pointer. and once in a while i do a deep one as well, i find that when you are open to the messages and not expecting anything such reading can really help you to get to know yourself better and get more connected with yourself.

Catsquat: i think what Laura means is that it is not helpful if you read into the cards what you want to hear and not what you need to hear. i agree with you that we can use the cards to help us fulfill our wishes or help us fight our fears, but when you look at the cards and see only what you want to see and hear what you want to hear and you DO NOT acknowledge the fact that it is only a reflection of your wishes or fear and not the actually message, then you are missing the real message. and very often you can really mislead yourself.

G

Medium_Laura
13-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi Medium Laura,

You make this sound as a bad thing. Why?
We as humans create our world don't we.. So our reading can be used to set the intention stronger I would say. Either by creating the worst or best scenario. The cards may just help manifest it by empowering our beliefs around the question involved. I would say that that would be a magical trait of the cards.

With Love
Eelco

I guess I want a more objective view. The way I was taught was a 3 card "focus" for the day. I never have done a full Celtic Cross for myself. Old habits die hard as they say. The gypsy woman that taught me said to never do a reading for yourself. :)

norseman
13-08-2011, 02:22 PM
There is a thing you could try - I taught this as part of Management Decision Making. You set up three options Best, Worst, and Most Likely. Then modify Most Likely with a little bit of Best and a little bit of Worst.
[ Some people actually still believe Business Management is a science :D:D]

Docha
13-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I admit I am a spiritual rebel...lol

Someone says you can't ...

I say well why the heck not?

Rarely does it end up having ill effects, lol so I have no fears trying anything once...it all boils down to comfort and openness.

green
13-08-2011, 06:23 PM
keep this spirit Docha, this is the best way ever:hug2:

g

Docha
13-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Green!:hug2:

I don't think I can lose it, but I do like to share it! :D

marganda
26-08-2011, 07:02 PM
i ask angels help although when im mad i dont read myself. I feel im just crazy so dont open.

Likes2Read
01-09-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't recommend reading for oneself, largely because the vast majority of us find it difficult to step back from the situation and view our lives with a neutral eye. Ideally, getting a trusted person to read for us is probably going to be more helpful. But even then, we need to try and turn off our own "reader" tendencies for a while and really listen to what our trusted person is telling us -- even if what they're saying is something we'd prefer not to hear.

Likes2Read
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I admit I am a spiritual rebel...lol

Someone says you can't ...

I say well why the heck not?

Rarely does it end up having ill effects, lol so I have no fears trying anything once...it all boils down to comfort and openness.
I don't see any metaphysical reasons why we shouldn't read for ourselves. It's just that sometimes, when we're strongly emotionally attached to a situation, we're not going to see clearly enough to do the reading for ourselves. It's an aspect of human nature that we all share, and it's a really challenging one to overcome.

So it saves time, effort, and grief to just have a reliable, trustworthy person do the reading for us, when it's a topic that's close to our heart.