PDA

View Full Version : Is This Empathy?

LotusBlossom
11-08-2011, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. But, every once in awhile life gets so, busy and stressful and I become so, scattered in it that I disconnect from whatever "abilities" or "gifts" or whatever term is appropriate that I have.

I can go day to day and notice things but, just not read into them or let myself go there. I've noticed that when I do this for a long enough period of time.. eventually, I just pick things up more and more often. And they gnaw at me until I have to stop and pay attention.

This probably isn't making any sense. All I know is that a friend of mine told me that she thinks I'm an empath. I don't know. I know that I can feel emotions coming off of people. Sometimes ..in waves. Usually, the emotion that I pick up on the most ..is sadness. Sometimes it's excitement or happiness when someone else is really looking forward to something.

I'm going through a huge transition in my life right now. I just moved. My kids are going through their own transitions too. My daughter's transitions and the moves she's making are making her very sad. She's at my sister's house now. But, will be here tomorrow.

What I'm noticing is that I'll be online playing a game.. or watching tv. Usually, the feeling will come in when everything is quiet and I'm not focused intently on something.

But, I'll all of a sudden get an overwhelming sadness. Enough that it calls me from whatever it is that I'm doing. I'll think of my daughter. I'll check my phone for text messages and see none. And then within 2-3 minutes I'll get a text from her. Sometimes the text is a sad one when she's feeling down.

Tonight is one of the most challenging nights for her. And tonight I'm walking around over 1,000 miles away from her feeling depressed. I seem to be more upset than she. I've been quiet. And feeling down. And tears are at the very edges of my eyes.

I sat down with my laptop to write this.. and my stones.. like amethyst etc came to mind. All of a sudden I realized that I haven't been looking at the empathy. And that might be why I feel as down as I do. Maybe I'm picking up my daughter's sadness. I thought of how to balance myself out. And my first thought.. was of my amethyst stones.

I don't know if this is something "normal" for an empath. Or if I'm just.. super sensitive. If anyone could offer any insights I would really appreciate it.

SunMist
11-08-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi LotusBlossom, it could indeed be psychic empathy. One thing that can be a pretty good test is to get focused and ask your higher power whoever that may be outloud to take from you whatever you have absorbed from someone else and to help them with it if appropriate - this comes from Rosetree. I find that if what I'm feeling is not mine I'll immediately feel it lift off of me. Now the trick is of course to remember to do this often enough!

SunMist
11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Oh and as far as what stones help I think that is a bit individual. The only stone I've used that I find truly helpful in empath shielding is labradorite. But the proof is in the pudding, if amethyst helps you go for it.

LotusBlossom
13-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Thank you SunMist. I tried something. When the emotions would come to me I'd pray for my daughter. And by the time I was finished with the prayer the feeling had subsided. Now I don't know if that means just the act of me praying made me feel better or not.

Since then she's come to the state that I'm in. And I haven't been getting the feelings nearly as often. Once or twice maybe. She seems to be doing as good as can be expected. But, she hasn't seemed overwhelmingly sad. Just sad. And sometimes more than others. But, she's also, smiled and laughed and one day even got excited about something.

I don't know if it was an empathic thing or if it was just me being hyper sensitive. I'm curious about the next time this kind of thing happens. I'm going to pray again and see if I have the same effects. Usually, instead what I've done ..is try to do some deep breathing and make myself feel better. This time I focused on the other person feeling better. Thank you again for your input. I really appreciated it :smile:.

Medium_Laura
13-08-2011, 09:58 PM
This is an article I wrote for a magazine. It may help you to deal with your empathy

http://www.silentvoices.org.uk/#/laura-evans-depression-anger/4547614329

dragon charms
14-08-2011, 03:05 PM
:) I believe we are all connected in the web of life. And I think it's the invisable threads we have to each other, and the emotions, focused thoughts that run through these connecting threads. Hence those moments of thinking of someone, (for me anyway) means, they are thinking of me and that energy just passed through the thread and I picked it up. Or vica versa.

I think we all do this. For some it's more intense. It could be empathy, it could be hyper sensitivity. For me it doesn't matter really the labels. It's just the threads and how they work. Seems the more you focus on it or pay attention to the emotion or thought, the more refined or intense the sensation. And the energy moves both ways through the connecting thread too. :) You can send love and comfort back through.

It's okay :) Part and parcel of being a human and divine.

Wishing you peace and your family members too. :)

SunMist
15-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Lotus Blossom, I'm glad it helped! My two books so far that have helped me the most are Rosetree's books particular Becoming the Most Important Person in the Room and Sanaya Roman's Personal Power through Awareness which addresses long distance empathy as a form of telepathy.

Also awesome article Medium_Laura, those exercises are great! Which make me think of a question that's plagued me about empathy. The times this gift really kicks my *** are when I don't even think that the feeling or sensation isn't mine - I believe it's mine and just suffer with it. It's hard to be on alert 24 hours a day for this stuff and I've found shields work but don't stay strong enough. Stones work but again aren't enough without frequent charging. I wish I had a way to "set it and forget it" but I've never found that. Like Lotus_blossom my strongest empathic connection is with my mom. Any tips?

mattie
15-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes, this sounds like you’re picking up on her feelings empathetically. Now that you’re aware of this being a dynamic, you can work on (if you choose to do so) maintaining a productive distance while still appreciating her issues. Being empathetic isn’t to actually live their feelings if they are in a lower frequency place in a way that lowers your actual frequency, but to appreciate where she is.

When we maintain productive distance, empathizing, but not to the extent that it puts us in the same sad or depressed state we are much better equipped to help them move out of it (if they are ready to & want to).

Distanced Observer- http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=176685#post176685