PDA

View Full Version : Herbal Medicines in the UK.

norseman
09-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Basically, the industry is under attack. Medical authorities are insisting that all products be "licensed" with all packaging carrying Health Warnings. Unlicensed products may only be sold by registered herbal practitioners [ another grey area ! ] Existing stocks may be sold off.
Now this brings up a major problem for the industry. Back in the 70's I was a Quality Controller in a major pharmaceutical company and we had the same thing happen. The Medicines Commission was formed and all manufacturers were required to be licensed in their manufacture and each product required a product licence [ look on your meds pack, you will see a PL number ]. I was involved for two years in submitting facilities and product submissions. I cannot give a cost figure but, today, it is estimated to be between £80000 and £215000 per product. Herbal Medicines have a bigger problem however. In many cases involving natural extracts/whole herbs, it is extremely difficult to standardise the potency which means no licence.

NightSpirit
09-08-2011, 10:13 AM
hmmm...it had to come to that! I really don't understand the greed in this world. I guess Oz will probably follow then. :(