PDA

View Full Version : altars

mel
08-08-2011, 11:49 PM
More of a curiosity, but what all goes into, more so onto an altar?

Kaldorei
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Well, on my altar I put things that have a special meaning to me. Example, my journal, candles and incense, pictures of close friends, tarot cards, etc. Everyone is different but I imagine that whatever you feel is right to put on an altar goes there. :icon_sunny:

mel
09-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Thank you for the advice. Basically what I feel I need on my altar, there's no wrong way.

EbonyDoe
09-08-2011, 04:18 AM
Exactly. Personally I have a jewelry box that is similar to my main altar for my ritual jewelry, my chalice, a couple bowls, incense burner, oil burner, candles and images of my Matorn&Patron

nightowl
09-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Yeah it is pretty much your sacred space. It is good to keep any spiritual tools that you use on it as well. I have candles, incense, oracle cards, statues, incense pot, and any spiritual jewelry I wear.

nightowl

mel
09-08-2011, 05:30 AM
Thank you guys for the help :)

Spiritlite
09-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Anything I find spiritual. Crystals. Feathers. A birds nest. A goddess statue. A buhdha figure and my salt lamp

norseman
09-08-2011, 08:20 AM
My "altar" is a flat rock beside a waterfall in a small ravine where I first dedicated myself to Gaia. I generally put things on it that I pick up as I wander - pine cones, acorns, berries, interesting pebbles, stuff like that. Below the waterfall is a deep pool where I bathe. In the summer, I sometimes sleep out there.
On the left of the stream :smile:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/northeast/800px-Kisdon_Force-1.jpg

mattie
09-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Alters can be quite creative & fun. One can mix traditional religious artifacts w/ non-religious objects that just have personal meaning to make fun artistic creations. Use what feels right for you. A piece of beautiful fabric affixed to the wall above a dresser or shelf can help set the mood you want. Add to this & edit as you want. Pictures that suit you can be collaged into a background or incorporated however you want.

As Iím in Louisiana, one might find Mardi Gras beads draped on traditional religious statues! Toss in an old wrought iron fence finial & a weathered piece of driftwood or some favorite shells found on a beach. Get creative w/ a glue gun!!! Jewelry, even nice pieces can be added in.

This isnít a formal alter, but is a similar vibe. On top of a bookcase Iíve centered an old looking classical metal urn w/ a nice patina (inexpensive home decor store item). Itís flanked by 2 sets of weathered deer antlers (great find that someone tossed out) & 2 shiny brass candlesticks w/ red candles. A 9í piece of red plaid, gold faced crimped wired ribbon (gift ribbon) is draped across the top of the front of the bookcase & hangs down the 2 front sides. A gold framed Buddha statue w/ a open lotus flower (magazine photo I liked) is on the wall beside the bookcase. The picture has a Buddha quote, ĎHappiness never decreases by being shared.Ď

Norseman adds a useful reminder that alters can be outside as well.

Animus27
09-08-2011, 09:12 PM
More of a curiosity, but what all goes into, more so onto an altar?
Since this is in the Wicca sub-forum; I'll assume you're working from a Wiccanesque path. Traditionally, a Wiccan altar will have the necessary ceremonial tools you use in rites (chalice, knife, etc.), and many people feel that it's appropriate to have a silver and golden colored candle representing the Goddess & God, respectively. And like others have said, there's various personal artifacts and other things that go on it. There's no hard and fast rules unless you're working from a particular framework that explicitly says you can't have something, or have to have a particular thing, and so on.

nightowl
09-08-2011, 09:26 PM
My "altar" is a flat rock beside a waterfall in a small ravine where I first dedicated myself to Gaia. I generally put things on it that I pick up as I wander - pine cones, acorns, berries, interesting pebbles, stuff like that. Below the waterfall is a deep pool where I bathe. In the summer, I sometimes sleep out there.
On the left of the stream :smile:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/northeast/800px-Kisdon_Force-1.jpg

norseman,

sure rub it in...lol :D it looks absolutely breath taking. It is true some of the best altars can be nature itself!

nightowl

mel
10-08-2011, 01:31 AM
Thank you all for your input. Norseman, your scared space if beautiful!!

norseman
10-08-2011, 06:54 AM
"Since this is in the Wicca sub-forum; I'll assume you're working from a Wiccanesque path."

I think this thread has to cover more than just strict wicca, it should also cover Craft. Personally, I regard the "pomp and ceremony" of wicca as a bit Roman Catholic - Gardner's influence. Besides which, most Brit. wiccans are solitaries.

Finnster
20-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I am still working on my altar but I have to agree with the statement that it's yours and works better when you put your energies into it instead of copying something else. I put my final design together after looking at suggestions from Cunningham, Ravenwolf, Buckland and Gardner. I go for the more simplistic setup and less "pomp and ceremony" to quote norseman.

FindingMyself
21-08-2011, 01:06 AM
I'm not Wiccan, but personally I have two altars - one main one for daily prayers, and one seasonal altar for, well, the changing of the seasons and the holidays. I've gotten really lax in both areas lately, though, so I need to get back into it.

MoonWillow
21-08-2011, 06:13 AM
I don't have an alter of my own creation, I've never felt the need to make one ( no disrespect to those who have ), my alter is that of nature, a most beautiful place where I feel at peace and can do anything I wish completely in tune with things.

MW.