PDA

View Full Version : Ibn al-Arabi

wayfaring
11-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Anyone here familiar with Ibn al-Arabi?

A truly awesome sufi mystic and a good antidote to present anti Islamic thinking and sentiments.

ljepotica
12-01-2007, 01:33 AM
Hey wayfaring.

The name sounds familiar but am not sure if I've heard of him.

I really like sufism and so should check him out:)

Thanks for the post:)

Take care,

xxx

bassitalii
12-01-2007, 01:23 PM
in my early years i read (rather tried to read) his book futuhaat makkiyya.
i found him too early to be read. after that i found some better (to me) saints and could not read him. at that time i felt as if he was very much a philosopher than to be pracising saint. the most practical and practising of all saints is of course Abdul Qadir Jailani. i am very much fond of his thinking.

dreamer
12-01-2007, 01:40 PM
We are all practicing Saints, sometimes we forget to pratice thats true, but never the less thats what we are by nature. Allow anyone to fully express themselves by loving and accepting them and they will speak truth.

wayfaring
12-01-2007, 02:40 PM
in my early years i read (rather tried to read) his book futuhaat makkiyya.
Indeed, he is quite hard to read and very much presents a philosophic approach. I found William Chittick's books helpful as he digests and organises Arabi in a structured way. 'The Self Disclosures of God' and 'Sufi path of Knowledge' by Chittick are both good.
Thanks for the reference to Abdul Qadir Jailani - I will follow that up.

bassitalii
13-01-2007, 12:34 PM
i ve heard this tale from someone (probably my late father)
once a man came to Abdul Qadir and asked him to bless him with a child. the man was childless. Abdul Qadir saw with his spiritual knowledge that the man was fated to be childless. He told that man that there was no child in his fate, and that to bless him with a child was not the wish of God. the man got perplexed at first but then asked Abdul Qadir that he had come to take the child from him (Abdul Qadir) not from God.
At this Abdul Qadir asked him to sit with his back opposite to his. the man did what he was asked to do. for some moments the man and Abdul Qadir remained there sitting back to back. then Abdul Qadir asked that man to go to his home and have intercourse with his wife. he told that man that sitting back to back he had transferred a son from his progeny to that man's and that the very intercourse with his wife would transfer it to her womb.
it is said that the man came after an year or so and handed over a child to Abdul Qadir. he told him (Abdul Qadir) that the child was the same he had transferred from his progeny to his.
Abdul Qadir took the child in his arms and named him after his own epithet Muhayyuddin. it is said that the same child named Muhayyuddin afterwards came to be known as Ibnu l Arabi.

can you tell me something about the authenticity of this tale.

wayfaring
15-01-2007, 11:56 AM
This is a new tale to me. I have a very good biography of Arabi, (The quest for the red sulphur' by Claude Addas) but I am not aware of this story in that book.