PDA

View Full Version : If we didn't eat.....

ces
29-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I am a little curious. I have gained some weight recently - about 1/2 a stone, being probably 1/2 a stone heavier before that happened then what I would like to be.

The usual signs start to appear. Clothes were getting tight, feel heavier, tired, sluggish, lack of energy etc.

I buy the food in my house and so am 100% responsible for the state I am finding myself in. If I didn't buy the sweet stuff I wouldn't eat it and then wouldn't be putting on weight.

I also stopped going to the gym. I actually cancelled the membership this week. I went at least 3 times a week but found that although I was starting to tone up, couldn't shift any weight and actually didn't feel any healthier for it. I gave it probably 11 months, with attendance for probably about 7 months in total.

I have increased my water intake in recent weeks to try and stay hydrated as I was constantly getting headaches and feeling thristy. So that has improved.

I am wondering - if I didn't eat, how long could I continue for - doing my usual activities - would my body say "oh no food today - will start on some of the fat that's stored" or would it just stop and say "oh no food today - not going to do anything just not work".

I realise that this isn't a healthy way to loose weight and I'm not thinking of doing that. I am considering a diet (I hate that word) of a "meal in shake" type thing - specific amount of calories in a drink or controlled format. My thinking is that if I did the whole diet type thing - would that help me to break my unhealthy habbits? Or will it leave me piling the pounds back on straight after.

How do you change the habits of your adult life without seriously harming your body. I have used the diet before and managed to get the weight off but because I didn't change my relationship with food or understand what my body needs better i went straight back to doing what I did before.

Anyone? :icon_frown:

Silver
29-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Seven years before I got pregnant with my son, back in 1980, I discovered the diet shakes. I lost 70 pounds which I kept off those 7 yrs. before pregnancy. To do it, I was pretty faithful with hard boiled eggs, tuna and rabbit food during the diet and exercised like crazy which I enjoyed. It only took 3-4 months to lose it. Afterwards, I almost lived on steamed veggies mostly broccoli, cauliflower and carrots along with real butter, lemon pepper and a few crackers maybe, for dinner. I highly recommend among the exercises you do, walking and yoga and for me, dancing was very important to keep my spirits up. Also, knowing what I know now, I would have most definitely taken CoQ10 everyday to protect my heart and give energy. Just a few tips there from my personal experiences~* Best wishes.

Time
29-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I have to ask, how much is half a stone? LOL

first, when do you weight yourself? You should only weight yourself once a week, right after go to the bathroom int he morning for the most accurate weight, other wise water and food will make you seem heavier.

Second, not eating, will actualy make you gain weight. Your tricking your body into thinking that food is scarce, and that your body should hold onto every once of fat. Eatng one day, and not the next is not how to loose weight, its actualy how to gain it!!

Any diet asking you to remove any good foods ( grains, meat, milk, fruits or veggies), isnt a good diet. Yes, a reduction in certain foods is great, especialy red meat, grains and milk, but removing theses from our diet can be detrimental.

The biggest thing any of us can do, is not drink any pop ( soda) at all. The diet stuff is even worse.

Next is getting rid of all processed foods, and fried foods in vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is unhealthy in large quantities. This goes for canola as well. <ost preservatives are empty calories, while vegetable fats are harder to digest, and have a higher saturated fat content, and lower healthy fat content.

The real trick to loosing weight is portion control, in relation to activity. Why would you need 300% of the recommended daily inmtake of protien if you arent an athlete r body builder? Why would you eat 5000 calories a day if you arent going to burn it? The thing with 905 of all diets, is that they lower the calorie intake to almost below starvation. Thats why ouy loose weight, you starve yoruself. If you are averagely active, you dont need lots of food at all.

A good trick is HOW we eat, Most of our habits are, quick brakfast, bigger lunch, and a huge supper. Well, digestion take sa good 8 hours, so how can we digest that 12oz steak before sleeping? The proper way to eat is a huge breakfast a moderate lunch anda small supper, supplimented with snacks inbetween.

For me personaly, I have to eat all day, so i try to work around it. Why would i eat a massive supper, when I know no matter what ill eat an hour or 2 after? I eat a decent breakfast, and dont stop eating all day, but streatched out.

The biggest, and most improtiant thing about loosing weight is exsersise. Its too bad you quit the gym. You must not have been working out effectivly. We are all different, and we all buld muscle differntly, so what works for me, wont work for you. Some people dont build muscle at all, some build it fast, others painfuly slow. The main point is that your doing it to be healthy, not to look good.

Silver
29-07-2011, 08:50 PM
The most important thing is to not listen so much without trying out and see what really WORKS for you, the individual. And listening to our instincts. It is important to get the junk food/processed foods out as completely as you can, to include sugar (most of it), any boxed stuff, sigh, I don't think I could 'survive' without Cheetos now and then, but just think about the people before cheetos came into existence. You didn't hear them saying such things. There are too many temptations in the modern diet. We have to learn to avoid them and psyche ourselves to not feel so 'needy' of them...once you get used to having them, and remember, it's been said there are additives in there that make you want more. So take the focus off of them, experiment with good foods, learn what you like, how you like them. Learn how to 'eat' when you go out to restaurants, too.

Time
29-07-2011, 09:41 PM
HEy id never say NOT to indulge once in a while, were only human... so its ok SG, grab that bag of cheetos, just be prepared for the hour walk afterwords!

Adrienne
29-07-2011, 09:43 PM
I am wondering - if I didn't eat, how long could I continue for - doing my usual activities - would my body say "oh no food today - will start on some of the fat that's stored" or would it just stop and say "oh no food today - not going to do anything just not work".

hi Ces,

I wouldn't recommend the not eating idea, unfortunately the body doesn't just use the fat that is stored, it just sends out these " I am still hungry signals " which if not listened to can cause headaches, fatigue, and a sick to your stomach feeling. And if one doesn't eat, they are also losing out on certain vitamins that are needed.

Maybe keep track of what you are eating, get rid of the snacks and junk food and eat healthy in small portions ?

Dream Angel xx

Silver
29-07-2011, 09:46 PM
I used to be so enamored of ice cream, now it doesn't hardly phase me, Idk how that happened but it's a good thing. But there's something about Cheetos. ~slaps self! Yeah, but you have to go with me on that walk!

ces
30-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Seven years before I got pregnant with my son, back in 1980, I discovered the diet shakes. I lost 70 pounds which I kept off those 7 yrs. before pregnancy. To do it, I was pretty faithful with hard boiled eggs, tuna and rabbit food during the diet and exercised like crazy which I enjoyed. It only took 3-4 months to lose it. Afterwards, I almost lived on steamed veggies mostly broccoli, cauliflower and carrots along with real butter, lemon pepper and a few crackers maybe, for dinner. I highly recommend among the exercises you do, walking and yoga and for me, dancing was very important to keep my spirits up. Also, knowing what I know now, I would have most definitely taken CoQ10 everyday to protect my heart and give energy. Just a few tips there from my personal experiences~* Best wishes.

Sounds like it helped you Silvergirl. Has the weight crept back on or have you been able to maintain the new weight over the years. Has your food intake changed dramatically since then?

Thanks for your thoughts. :hug2:

ces
30-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Half a stone is what has crept on in the last couple of months. I was already half a stone (at least) over weight. I am only 4.9 tall, which is why I am starting to feel more concerned. I weight myself in the morning, as you say after bathroom, before breakfast and probably not as often as once a week.

Thank you for your words on not eating. As i said originally I'm not planning to not eat (I don't have the willpower) but was wondering what my body would do if it didn't get food on a daily basis.

I don't eat meat, (showing my ignorance here but am not sure what you mean by grains (rice, bread, pasta etc) (in which case I don't eat much of these foods). I probably get through about 3/4 of a small loaf of bread in a week - and that's with it going stale before I finish it. I rarely eat rice, although will have some pasta some times in a week (maybe once a week). I don't eat fried food, don't drink soda. I have no clue as to what canola is - will need to google it to find out.

I do already have a smaller plate. Its kinda the inbetween size of a side plate and dinner plate. So in theory my portions are smaller. I would say my issue is that I don't know what food is good for me, which will help me to be healthier and not gain weight. I have been shopping this week and have brought not sweet, chocolate, cake or treats of any kind. I have plenty of fruit in and no spare cash in my wallet which will encourage me to not stop at the shops when out during the day. I hate to break a note :smile: .

Quitting the gym. I use to go to a gym before I moved location. I would attend every weekday before work. When I moved I didn't find one initially as I wasn't sure where I was going to be living. Then 1 year ago I came across a gym for females. I say gym because it has gym in the description - but it was nothing like what I had been doing before. Resistance equipment which is used for short bursts and then onto a rest board for cardio before moving to the next bit of equipment. Initially great - but didn't feel like it was doing much. I have been to look at the local council gym this past week and am thinking about joining one of these as it is what I would call a traditional gym enviornment. Same cost, same flexibility in use and therefore a bit of a no-brainer for me in terms of ditching the previous place to replace with the new solution in about 4 weeks time. So exercise should improve and I hope will start to help.

My motivation is to be able to fit in the clothes I have - I refuse to buy a bigger size and to be able to walk up the stairs to the properties I visit without needing oxygen at the top. Being fitter and happier with my body is about me. My OH loves me just the way I am and is only concerned about my health and where my head is at.

Thanks Time for your comments - lots to think about. :hug2:
I have to ask, how much is half a stone? LOL

first, when do you weight yourself? You should only weight yourself once a week, right after go to the bathroom int he morning for the most accurate weight, other wise water and food will make you seem heavier.

Second, not eating, will actualy make you gain weight. Your tricking your body into thinking that food is scarce, and that your body should hold onto every once of fat. Eatng one day, and not the next is not how to loose weight, its actualy how to gain it!!

Any diet asking you to remove any good foods ( grains, meat, milk, fruits or veggies), isnt a good diet. Yes, a reduction in certain foods is great, especialy red meat, grains and milk, but removing theses from our diet can be detrimental.

The biggest thing any of us can do, is not drink any pop ( soda) at all. The diet stuff is even worse.

Next is getting rid of all processed foods, and fried foods in vegetable oil. Vegetable oil is unhealthy in large quantities. This goes for canola as well. <ost preservatives are empty calories, while vegetable fats are harder to digest, and have a higher saturated fat content, and lower healthy fat content.

The real trick to loosing weight is portion control, in relation to activity. Why would you need 300% of the recommended daily inmtake of protien if you arent an athlete r body builder? Why would you eat 5000 calories a day if you arent going to burn it? The thing with 905 of all diets, is that they lower the calorie intake to almost below starvation. Thats why ouy loose weight, you starve yoruself. If you are averagely active, you dont need lots of food at all.

A good trick is HOW we eat, Most of our habits are, quick brakfast, bigger lunch, and a huge supper. Well, digestion take sa good 8 hours, so how can we digest that 12oz steak before sleeping? The proper way to eat is a huge breakfast a moderate lunch anda small supper, supplimented with snacks inbetween.

For me personaly, I have to eat all day, so i try to work around it. Why would i eat a massive supper, when I know no matter what ill eat an hour or 2 after? I eat a decent breakfast, and dont stop eating all day, but streatched out.

The biggest, and most improtiant thing about loosing weight is exsersise. Its too bad you quit the gym. You must not have been working out effectivly. We are all different, and we all buld muscle differntly, so what works for me, wont work for you. Some people dont build muscle at all, some build it fast, others painfuly slow. The main point is that your doing it to be healthy, not to look good.

ces
30-07-2011, 12:05 PM
The most important thing is to not listen so much without trying out and see what really WORKS for you, the individual. And listening to our instincts. It is important to get the junk food/processed foods out as completely as you can, to include sugar (most of it), any boxed stuff, sigh, I don't think I could 'survive' without Cheetos now and then, but just think about the people before cheetos came into existence. You didn't hear them saying such things. There are too many temptations in the modern diet. We have to learn to avoid them and psyche ourselves to not feel so 'needy' of them...once you get used to having them, and remember, it's been said there are additives in there that make you want more. So take the focus off of them, experiment with good foods, learn what you like, how you like them. Learn how to 'eat' when you go out to restaurants, too.

Agree - different things work for different people. My head says break the habit of the sugar stuff. No chocolate, no snacking on cereal, no cake, no mini icecreams on a daily basis (an occassional gift to myself maybe but not in bulk). That's the think in a way - if i open a bar of chocolate I have to eat it all - can't have one peice and then leave the rest. :redface:

Its learning about the good foods, what they are and how to prepare them.

What do you mean Silvergirl about learning how to eat when at restuarants? Not that it happens very often but is another area where education is needed.

ces
30-07-2011, 12:07 PM
hi Ces,

I wouldn't recommend the not eating idea, unfortunately the body doesn't just use the fat that is stored, it just sends out these " I am still hungry signals " which if not listened to can cause headaches, fatigue, and a sick to your stomach feeling. And if one doesn't eat, they are also losing out on certain vitamins that are needed.

Maybe keep track of what you are eating, get rid of the snacks and junk food and eat healthy in small portions ?

Dream Angel xx

Thanks Dreamie - yes your right and as I have said above I'm not going to not eat. I have issues with tiredness and headaches at times allready so don't want to be making it worse. A note of what I eat is a good idea - I wonder how small a small portion really is though?

cesxx

Adrienne
30-07-2011, 01:00 PM
hi Ces,

sometimes they say a small portion is the size of your fist, not sure if they were talking meat, main dish or what. I have heard of people who take their normal meal and just eat 1/2 of it, use a smaller dish than you usually use.

Dreamie xx

Tiss
30-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Dear Ces,

I am reading quickly and I don't know if I missed anything from the previous posts, but I would start with a health check, not too impressive but to the point, for example a simple laboratory to see how substances in your body are processing food.

If you feel very very thirsty maybe you have got an imbalance that you need to fix first.

Discarded it, to lose weight should be a consequence of a healthy life rather than first hand objective. There is no magic on it. The mind and (body) try to compensate our inner shortages by wishing certain attractive foods and by eating more than we need. I agree with the idea of reducing portions, but not with the formulas.

Bottom line, try to balance yourself, and you will lose your extra weight. Also,
replace the gym with frequent long walks. And ask your guides for help.

Love and light,
TISS :hug:

astralsuzy
31-07-2011, 03:43 AM
I want to lose weight so I am eating healthy food. I do not eat biscuits, cake, fries or any junk food. If I am hungry I have some fruit, for afternoon tea I might have cheese and biscuits. I find eating junk food you crave more junk food and you want to eat more and more. It keeps going on and on and the weight piles on. Eating healthy food does not mean you have to go hungry. I am never hungry. Also eating healthy food you feel a lot better. You have more energy and you feel a lot better. After a while you do not want junk food anymore.
I do not believe in diets, quick fix things or starving yourself. I think diets make you fatter probably because you are depriving yourself of certain food.

astralsuzy
31-07-2011, 04:29 AM
I wish you luck.

ces
31-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Thank you Tiss and Astralsuzy :D

Weighed myself this morning and will see how I get on with the removal of junk food, choc, cake. I think that it will be a good place to start.

Adrienne
31-07-2011, 12:06 PM
best wishes & sucess to you Ces !

Time
31-07-2011, 01:41 PM
ITs not problem Ces. I have sort of a similar problem.

Let me take a stab at a general "proper" eating habit style. You said you dont eat meat, but Im going to use it im my description, because its easier for me to describe. Ill try to show a few replacements, but a vegetarian might have some more advice for meat replacements.

Breakfast -

Large breakfast containing all the main food groups. I would try for an ommlette. Quicker to cook, and you can cram everything into one dish. For instance ( this is for me, im 210 pounds and 6 foot 2, so the portion is a bit bigger)

4 eggs
1/2 cup of cheese
half an onion
5 green onions
half a green, red and yellow bell pepper
8 strips of bacon ( is probably replace this with mushrooms to your personal ammount)
1/4 cup of milk.

2 pieces of whole wheat toast.

an orange, and a class of what ever floats your boat, preferably juice.

Lunch

Chicken breast sandwitch, on whole wheat bread, with lettuce, tomato, pickles, a bit of mayo ( if you liek it), and cheese.

fruit ( try for variation, grapes one day, an orange or 2 the next, grapes the one after)

A type of snack. If your going to sneak in some chocolate, id do it now so you can burn it off all day, just only buy the very small halloween style chocolate bars, and only bring one or 2. Cant eat them if they arent there!!

Most pepole suggest nuts, especialy almonds. THey have a chemical that can make you feel much more full. Not to mention chalk full of healthy fats which you absolutly NEED since you dont eat meat.

Supper. A small piece of fish, or lean meat. You can have a salad, or some type of rice meal (stirfies are great here becasue they are majorily veggies). A simple homeade stirfry sauce is a bit of soy sauce, a slpash of water, and half a cup of stock ( chicken, beef, or veggie). Sift a bout 2 table spoons of sifted flour in, mix extremely well so the flour is mixed ( you might have to microwave the sauce), then add it to the cooked veggies ************* I wing my recipies all the time, so these are guesses, and guildelines.

Snack if you must through out the day, just try to eat rice cakes, fruits and veggies. Usualy at the end of the week i just eat what ever i feel like, and it doesnt seem to step me back to far (were all different though).

One thing, that i may suggest is that you try, at least once a week to encorperate some actual meat into your diet, whether thats chicken, or fish, or what ever. There SOME studies that show that some people who dont eat meat ( therefore ususaly dont get the proper fats), so their bodies tend to hold any amount of fat. Basicaly, your body thinks it needs to hold the fat because you are "starving" in a sence ( some people can get away with no meat some can).

Id go to the dr, and get some vitamin and mineral tests, to see where your at. SOme deficiantcies can cause your body to hold onto fat, rather then burn it off.

The main things to remember when buying food are..

If you cant prononounce the ingredients, then you probably shouldt eat it.

Stuff yourself full of organic fruits and veggies. They are full of cellulose ( which our body turns into fiber), with a lesser focus on grains ( yes thats rice, wheat, breads, cereals, they can actualy cause you to gain weight in access ammounts), and slightly lesser, meats and animal products liek eggs. Milk is a personal choice. Generaly speaking ( evolutionary wise) we arent supposed to drink milk past the age of 4, hence why so many of us are lacto intolerant. BUt there is a continuing trend of people adapting to milk products. As of now, milk, next to meat is THE best source of absorbable protiens, vitamins and minerals ( im talkin balanced here, not one or two), and since its really the way 90% of western society is brought up, its hard to eliminate milk products, concidering almost every baking product has it ( good and bad).

One more thing id suggest is growing all your own food, as much as you cant at least. It is very, very fulfilling, its great excersise. Its also healthier for sure. Any small yard,even a balcony can supply us with a greeat amount of food. I suggest a book called "gaias garden". ITs about sustainable, homescale food production, with MINIMU<M work, and MAXIMUM yeilds.

I hope i didnt confuse you LOL

ces
05-08-2011, 05:49 AM
Thank you for your suggestions Time. I read them earlier in the week and have been trying to think differently.

I have been shopping this week and have brought no choc or cake and haven't picked any up during the week either. So thats all good.

Have maybe one more serving of my original cereal for breakfast left and have replaced it with porridge this week. I tend to eat porridge more often in the colder months, but figured it would be a better choice regardless of the time of year and so will start that next week or on the weekend.

When i have had lunch it has been a sandwich with some fruit after and I have had rice or soup for dinner with fruit and custard.

Just pleased I have avoid cake, choc, crisps etc all week. :D

ces
07-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Its been a whole week now where none of the bad things I purchase on a regular basis have passed through my environment. I have walked past the sweet things and stuck to what i have purchased in terms of fruit, etc.

I don't always eat 3 times a day but have been trying to be careful to avoid late eating at night as it was a habit to have extra after my dinner.

I was reading on another thread about it taking 30 days to break or form a habit - 23 days to go to hopefully have the sweet tooth under control.

innerlight
07-08-2011, 06:24 PM

If you stopped eating your body would go into starvation mode and would hold onto it's reserves of fat so it would have something to use as fuel and energy for the body and to sustain itself. Your body would also start to feed off of the muscle that is in you to get what it needs.

To lose the weight you need to have your metabolism active to help you lose weight and keep losing weight during the day. It is recommended that one eats 6 small meals throughout the day. Be it an apple, or a think of yogurt.

Cutting out sugars and the fattening carbohydrates such as white bread and potatoes.

Without the proper amount of fuel in your body doing day to day activities will exhaust you and you will slowly start to become weak and lethargic and probably have a hard time getting out of the bed in the morning.

ces
07-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks Inner for your comments. I guess its knowing whats ok!y and whats not in terms of good and bad food that i need to start learning about.

DebbyM
11-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Another thing that might be a good idea for you is to find out if your thyroid is on the 'fritz'. An underactive thyroid can make it almost impossible to lose weight. It can also be the cause of numerous other major problems. I have read that 8 out of 10 women in North America have thyroid issues, diagnosed as well as undiagnosed. So it could be worth your while to check it out with your doctor.

SilverDragonfly
11-08-2011, 10:49 AM
(((ces))) You've gotten some wonderful advice here and appear to be well on your way to a healthier you! Congratulations!

I'm in a similar situation, in that I need to get healthier and revamp my eating habits. A health issue has me looking at everything I'm eating, so a food journal is a huge help! Try making a list of your favorite fruits and veggies and looking up new recipes for creating dishes that are not only healthy, but pleasing!

Another thing I've been doing is walking(which I love to do), not only for the exercise, but for the time to sort things in my mind, just look at nature around me and de-stress. What is your favorite activity/sport? You're more apt to stay active by doing the things you love to do. Find ways to fit those activities into your day.

I'd also like to thank everyone else who has offered advice and ideas here. I'm making notes! :D

NightSpirit
11-08-2011, 11:04 AM
regular dietary habits are the go ces :smile: 3xhealthy meals a day

norseman
11-08-2011, 11:56 AM
A benefit of diabetes [ the only one ! ] is that it enforces discipline over having regular eating habits and healthy diet.

ces
11-08-2011, 01:06 PM
Thank you all for your comments and words of advice. I am quite pleased to say, still none of the ccc have been purchased. I haven't quite managed to sort out the exercise but will get to that. I have increased fruit portion during the day and can say I am only having 3 meals a day. Water is being drunk and I am continuing to have porridge everyday for breakfast. I take my time to make it and eat it just before I leave in the morning for work. Trying to reduce the desire to snack at 9.30am. :D

The food journal is a good idea - I will try this I think as well as the list of food I like and ways to make it differently.

I have also lost 2lbs. Careless I know but good none the less :tongue:

SilverDragonfly
11-08-2011, 10:18 PM
Remember one pound of body weight=3500 calories. To take off a pound a week, which is a safe & sensible rate, you need to reduce your intake and increase your expended calories a combined total of 500 calories a day. That's not too hard to acheive!

And, Congratulations on the 2 lbs! :D

ces
18-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Thanks Silverdragonfly.

I have been a little naughty these last couple of days. Not excessively but enough to be having a word with myself.

Still relatively happy with myself.

de.spin
18-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Hallo Ces

why don't you consider becoming vegan? It is not only very healthy, but and above all very compassionate towards all the animals.

10 years ago I turned vegetarian (no meat, no fish).

3 years ago I stopped eating eggs, milk and cheese.

My health is wonderful, and I have no weight problems anymore!

And if you (or anybody else here) need advice on how to turn vegetarian and vegan, I will be more than happy to help.

Eating is a wonderful thing. We don't need to kill or exploit animals to do that!