PDA

View Full Version : UK Bans Airbrushed Ads

mattie
27-07-2011, 07:44 PM
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/loreal-ads-of-julia-roberts-and-christy-turlington-banned-for-airbrushing-2516498/

It's great that the UK has taken a stand w/ cosmetics companies w/ banning ads that are unrealistically airbrushed.

I'm less concerned about these airbrushed ads infering that the product does unreasistic things than in how it affects women's self images. While some may realize that an older actress has had all their wrinkles airbrushed out, many don't. This can lead to unrealistic self images just as it does when ads trim a models waistline or thighs to be unrealistically thin.

HallowsEve
01-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Oh wow, wasn't aware of this. I'm from the UK and yes, I think the amount of airbrushed adverts is absolutely ridiculous. I don't understand how they can portray a product in such a false way, while getting away with it, and that's okay? You wouldn't be allowed to do that with many other products, so why cosmetics? It's so wrong!

Lightspirit
01-08-2011, 11:45 AM
I was only just thinking about photoshop just before I wrote this and ho easy it is to distort or improve reality. its your best friend when you get past 40. I often make things up as an answer on forums its quite a handy thing to use.

I think hiding imperfections on every person takes something away. The imperfections are cool things sometimes.

norseman
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Pity they don't extend the ban to include "singers" who "airbrush" their voices to hide their awful musical flaws.

Silver
02-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Can't help but chuckle at that one norseman.

Just think how 'normal' we'd all start feeling if it it weren't for all the models masquerading as freaks.

Native spirit
02-08-2011, 06:30 PM
:smile: I know of young girls who are paranoid they have descovered a spot on their face when i tell them its ok they say well the models dont have them. so i think the airbrushing should be banned, teenagers are always worried about their apperance spots etc, so i think they should see models in their true form,
maybe then the kids wont get so uptight about their faces etc,
by the way norseman i agree with you :laughing9:

Namaste