PDA

View Full Version : "KAPRE?"

jamesart7
26-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Kapre
(also known as Agta in the Visayan dialect (Cebu)) is a Philippine mythical creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention. The term kapre comes from the Arabic "kaffir" meaning a non-believer in Islam. The early Arabs and the Moors used it to refer to the non-Muslim Dravidians who were dark-skinned. The term was later brought to the Philippines by the Spanish who had previous contact with the Moors. Some historians speculate that the legend was propagated by the Spanish to prevent Filipinos from assisting any escaped African slaves.

Natural habitat and attire
Kapres are said to dwell in big trees like acacias, mangoes, bamboo and banyan (known in the Philippines as balete). It is also mostly seen sitting under those trees. The Kapre is said to wear the indigenous Northern Philippine loincloth known as bahag, and according to some, often wears a belt which gives the kapre the ability to be invisible to humans. In some versions, the kapre is supposed to hold a magical white stone, a little smaller in size than a quail egg. Should any person happen to obtain this stone, the kapre could grant wishes.

Behavior
Kapres are not necessarily considered to be evil, unlike the manananggal. Kapres may make contact with people to offer friendship, or if it is attracted to a woman. If a kapre befriends any human, especially because of love, the kapre will consistently follow its "love interest" throughout life. Kapres are also said to play pranks on people, frequently making travelers become disoriented and lose their way in the mountains or in the woods. It is also believe to have the ability to confuse people even at their own familiar surroundings; for instance, someone who forgets that they are in their own garden or home are said to be have been tricked by a kapre. Reports of experiencing kapre enchantment include that of witnessing rustling tree branches even if the wind is not strong. Another example would be hearing loud laughter or voice coming from an unseen being; witnessing lots of smoke from the top of a tree; seeing big fiery eyes during night time from a tree; as well as actually seeing a kapre walking by in forested areas. It is also believed that abundant fireflies in woody areas are the embers from the kapre's lit tobacco.

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/kapre.jpg

Time
26-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Dude! That is an awsome legend!

jamesart7
27-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Dude! That is an awsome legend!

Dude, its just a legend!! :cool:

Gracey
27-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Another example would be hearing loud laughter or voice coming from an unseen being; witnessing lots of smoke from the top of a tree; seeing big fiery eyes during night time from a tree;

Dude, that was an experience for me....thanks for posting, i have not heard of this information before.

jamesart7
27-07-2011, 03:32 AM
Another example would be hearing loud laughter or voice coming from an unseen being; witnessing lots of smoke from the top of a tree; seeing big fiery eyes during night time from a tree;

Dude, that was an experience for me....thanks for posting, i have not heard of this information before.

Dude, it was just a story to scare the little kids from playing outside at night.. Your not a kid right? :cool:

Gracey
27-07-2011, 02:26 PM
yeah i am a kid at heart and it scared the beegeezers out of me dude.

seahorse
27-07-2011, 02:45 PM
This world suffers from people who grew up too much...http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l569/seehorse/silly%20smilies/jumping0001.gif

Time
27-07-2011, 03:31 PM
I jsut realized how similar this story is to native american/canadian stories of sasquatch

Trieah
27-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Dude, I think Seahorse is right on the money with that one.

jamesart7
28-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Hey, the cool jesus dude, its not a sasquatch! And sasquatch don't smoke!

Silver
28-07-2011, 05:41 AM
Well not that we've seen sasquatch smoke or not, plus the dimensions are all off, 7-9 foot tall is much shorter than that creature in the picture. Cool story, though.

jamesart7
28-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Well dude, its just a representation of the creature...

Silver
28-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Are females dudes to you too? Everyone's a dude!

jamesart7
28-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Sorry about that... I thought you were a dude... So what do you think about the thread?

Silver
28-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Your thread's allright ~ *

jamesart7
28-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Your thread's allright ~ *

What if you encounter the being face to face.... hmmm? What would then be your comment about the thread?

Time
28-07-2011, 01:56 PM
No LOL, but the same sort of story for sure. Hiding in the woods, trickster, is almsot supernatural in nature... same deal, cept the smoking!!!

jamesart7
29-07-2011, 03:41 AM
If that sasquatch thing smoke, well, i think it would be in the high stage and it would not be able to move...

Silver
29-07-2011, 04:07 AM
What if you encounter the being face to face.... hmmm? What would then be your comment about the thread?

What would be the worry? If I got the stone, I could get my wishes granted.

jamesart7
29-07-2011, 06:28 AM
What would be the worry? If I got the stone, I could get my wishes granted.

The stone? Umm... Ill trade it for a chocolate bar.. Deal????

Silver
29-07-2011, 06:29 AM
Whatever your pleasure, sir!

jamesart7
29-07-2011, 06:47 AM
YEY!!! Mwahahahaha!!! now i have the powaaa!!

Silver
29-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Aaahhh, but you're forgetting a little something ~ I had it first, and I made some wishes of my own ~ before I passed it on to you. And I'm not telling what they were~* You don't know if it will affect YOUR wishes, do you! Bwahaha yourself!

jamesart7
29-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Aaahhh, but you're forgetting a little something ~ I had it first, and I made some wishes of my own ~ before I passed it on to you. And I'm not telling what they were~* You don't know if it will affect YOUR wishes, do you! Bwahaha yourself!

Tsk...tsk...tsk... Ill post another legend... Lets see if your Kapre can handle this legend...

Silver
29-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Tsk...tsk...tsk... Ill post another legend... Lets see if your Kapre can handle this legend...

Hahaha~he's MY Kapre now? Splendid!

jamesart7
29-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Hahaha~he's MY Kapre now? Splendid!

No!! hes not your Kapre!! and my post was deleted because it was too violent...

Trieah
29-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Hey! How come Silvergirl gets to have a Kapre and I don't? Aren't I cute enough to have a Kapre fall in love with me? :tongue:

Silver
29-07-2011, 07:44 PM
Hey! How come Silvergirl gets to have a Kapre and I don't? Aren't I cute enough to have a Kapre fall in love with me? :tongue:

Hahaha! That's funny, Trieah! You just have to see them to find them. If you're interested, they'll be interested, lol! Just look him in the eye. (Looks isn't the issue...I don't think, anyway...).
:D

Silver
29-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Hahaha! That's funny, Trieah! You just have to see them to find them. If you're interested, they'll be interested, lol! Just look him in the eye. (Looks isn't the issue...I don't think, anyway...).
:D

Ooh~ooh, I think there's a lesson in there somewhere...:cool:

Trieah
29-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Ah Ha! Now I know that I just need to start carrying around a ladder with me when ever I go out into the woods, just so I can look a Kapre in the eye :wink: And hey, my name is pronounced Tree-ah, so maybe I really do stand a chance, LOL

But ya know, I'm not all that crazy about smoking. Do you think if I bat my eyes, get all cutesy-coy, and purr softly in his ear, he'd quite smoking if I asked him to :D

Or would that be considered, me not being able to accept him for who he is?

Silver
29-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Ha! If your as shapely as your avatar, I think the cigarette will fall right out of his mouth when he sees ya! I doubt he'll be thinking about cigarettes for long~*

Trieah
29-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Guess I'll have to go find me a Kapre to put that theory to the test.

Woohoo!!!!

Silver
29-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Oh, happy hunting!

jamesart7
30-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Why you all interested on the Kapre and not on me....

Silver
30-07-2011, 04:26 AM
If I were your age, I'd find it much more enticing to see your face, not some soiled garment wrapped around the lower portion of your face...

jamesart7
30-07-2011, 04:38 AM
here i am..... thats my ugly face....

Silver
30-07-2011, 04:50 AM
What's so bad about your face? Can't we see both halves at the same time? You can't be that shy, with all your interesting threads about this and that monster/legend etc.

Trieah
30-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Why you all interested on the Kapre and not on me....

Well you do have a cute face. I'm just not so much into the whole cougar thing :wink: Sorry.

I hope you were only joking about being ugly though, cause you do look quite handsome in that picture.

jamesart7
30-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the complements dude... About the Kapre thing, what if you should meet one. And what if I show you what the stone of the Kapre looks like....

Trieah
31-07-2011, 03:24 AM
Well I think that would be pretty neat to meet a Kapre. I'm somewhat of a fantasy fiction writer and have spent the last 11 years developing a world which takes place in an enchanted forest full of mythical creatures. So yeah, I'd love to meet one.

What does this stone of theirs look like?

jamesart7
31-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Well I think that would be pretty neat to meet a Kapre. I'm somewhat of a fantasy fiction writer and have spent the last 11 years developing a world which takes place in an enchanted forest full of mythical creatures. So yeah, I'd love to meet one.

What does this stone of theirs look like?

So you like mythical creatures... You should meet a Tikbalang...

Trieah
01-08-2011, 02:25 AM
So you like mythical creatures... You should meet a Tikbalang...

Sounds quite interesting. What are they like?

I still need to know what this stone of the Kapre looks like though. Is it something to look out for in nature, because it means a Kapre is near by?

Are these creatures supposed to be spirit beings or physical beings with the ability to hide very well? Believe it or not, but I've actually met quite a few dragon spirits. Might have even met a few fairies as well, but not sure.

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 03:40 AM
The stone of a Kapre is kinda oval in shape ad is very smooth. If you find one near a tree, a Kapre might have dropped it... I don't know what they are... They are spirit beings but can show themselves as a physical being...

About that dragon spirit... How sure are you that you saw one? Those dragon spirits are very rare here in our place... How did you saw the dragon spirit? Was it aware that you were looking at it? Or did it appear on front of you... If it did, it should leave a mark on you...

Trieah
01-08-2011, 04:49 AM
About that dragon spirit... How sure are you that you saw one? Those dragon spirits are very rare here in our place... How did you saw the dragon spirit? Was it aware that you were looking at it? Or did it appear on front of you... If it did, it should leave a mark on you...

Well, my ex boyfriend and I were quite into dragonlore, including dragon magic, and found all kinds of research material on the subject. We even set our home up as a neutral ground for dragons to come and hang out at. We've had all kinds of dragon spirits over here, still do. And from what I've been told, they've even been using our home as a spawning ground because of all the dragon's blood incense we burn. That stuff is like catnip for them. They go nuts over it :wink: Once in a great while, I'll get to see them with my third eye. And twice, I've seen them as very quick dark shadows darting about. I've even had other people comment on mentally seeing a big dragon on our roof. He's always here guarding my house. Oh, heh, and they like to mess with my cat too :wink: Even the dog we just got a few weeks ago sensed them when my friend and I were communicating with one of them. All of a sudden, the dog jumped off the bed, ran to the closed door and started growling at one of the younger dragons.

But I haven't only seen them at my house. I've seen them in this county park which used to be Native Indian land. Actually, I've seen lots of spirits at that park. One time when I was there and walking around picking up trash back in the overgrowth part of the park where there are these cascading pools of water, a water dragon popped its head and long neck out of the water so fast, to get a good look at me, that I almost fell on my a$$ from being so startled by him, LOL. The spirits there, like the fact that I used to come and pick up trash from there home, so they would some times show themselves to me. It's such an incredible place, full of enchantment. One of these days, I still want to take some dowsing rods there and try to find all the lay lines this place has.

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Wow... Thats kinda hard to believe... Dragon spirits cannot be tamed... Be careful dude, they might be using you for something else... I never trust in those kind of spirits... They are always up to no good...

Trieah
01-08-2011, 06:17 AM
Um. . . , dragons aren't evil creatures any more then animals are evil. They've just gotten a bad wrap by people who fear the unknown.

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 06:23 AM
Ok.. How can you prove it to me that you really have dragon spirits in your house?

Trieah
01-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Wow, that's a loaded gun of a question. If you're that sceptic, no amount of proof I could ever provide would ever be good enough, because you haven't personally experienced it yourself. Sure, I could fill your ear with all kinds of stuff from my vast collection of incidents with a wide variety of spirit world encounters, but I can't make you believe any of it.

And besides, my very best evidence of spirit world encounters revolve more around my escapades in helping lost souls cross over into the Light :wink: But even then, how could I prove any of it to you, when you weren't here when any of it happened to know for sure that it did.

Silver
01-08-2011, 06:38 AM
Has anyone heard of this Kapre before? We have no idea if it exists and yet were willing to suspend our disbelief and skepticism.

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 07:07 AM
Wow, that's a loaded gun of a question. If you're that sceptic, no amount of proof I could ever provide would ever be good enough, because you haven't personally experienced it yourself. Sure, I could fill your ear with all kinds of stuff from my vast collection of incidents with a wide variety of spirit world encounters, but I can't make you believe any of it.

And besides, my very best evidence of spirit world encounters revolve more around my escapades in helping lost souls cross over into the Light :wink: But even then, how could I prove any of it to you, when you weren't here when any of it happened to know for sure that it did.

Send one of your dragon spirits here....

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Has anyone heard of this Kapre before? We have no idea if it exists and yet were willing to suspend our disbelief and skepticism.

Well, I am saying that you should believe... I'm just saying that you should understand??? :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Trieah and silver dude, can i see your photos? I want to see your faces...

Silver
01-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Maybe if you take your sunglasses off...nah, my pic is there, just click on my name, then profile. It's funny how lots of people don't think to look there, but a lot of people have their pics and other interesting info there.

jamesart7
01-08-2011, 07:18 AM
The sunglasses are not coming off!! NEVER!! Mwahahah!!

Silver
01-08-2011, 07:22 AM
The sunglasses are not coming off!! NEVER!! Mwahahah!!

Well tough, we've already seen your eyes before you decided to take that thing off your mug, lol. You have very intense eyes (a good thing). I bet the girls really do like you.

Trieah
01-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Send one of your dragon spirits here....

I can try, but I need to wait for my friend to get back here. His spirit guide is actually a dragon and he has a much better established connection with his spirit guide then I do with mine. When he gets back here, we'll do a session and see about sending one of them there.

Trieah
01-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Trieah and silver dude, can i see your photos? I want to see your faces...

Oh good gosh, I've never really been into the whole picture taking thing. I don't think I've had a picture taken of myself in years.

stoic
07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
this is awesome, i wanna meet a kapre!

LadyVirgoxoxo
09-08-2011, 03:40 AM
Haha the kapre is cute, why is it called a demon?