PDA

View Full Version : Hereafter

earth2bella
20-07-2011, 11:01 PM
I must say I'm very surprised nobody has listed this yet!? Did anyone see this movie?

Anyway, this was a great film..inspiring and thought provoking. Except I have a serious problem with the ending. Spoiler alert ahead! Just when you think that Matt Damon, the psychic in the film, and the French woman were going to meet up and discuss whatever was written in the letter, the credits start to roll. I understand how sometimes films leave parts out in the end for the audience to wonder about, but I was left dumbfounded, because I can't understand what that meant. Was this an indication of soul mates or twin flames? Past life? Did they know each other?

The movie was pretty fantastic until the last minute. Hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

"A drama centered on three people -- a blue-collar American, a French journalist and a London school boy -- who are touched by death in different ways." -IMDB

Internal Queries
21-07-2011, 12:22 PM
i found the movie slow. i didn't even watch the whole thing.

however, Matt Damon's "The Adjustment Bureau" was cool.

ellespirit
21-07-2011, 12:24 PM
I found it very slow also and a ****** ending

earth2bella
22-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Ok so...so far we all can agree that the movie had a ****** ending. And yes, it was slow. But what did the ending mean, is what I would like to know. Doesnt anybody have an interpretation of what they think it meant?

Enlightener
24-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Wow, I'm surprised, I really liked the ending, it was very open-ended, not something you see much these days, especially with movies that hit the cinemas.

The ending didn't really have to mean anything, they met up, that was it, it was just a view into two people's worlds, and how they came to be together.

:dontknow:

LightFilledHeart
26-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Wow, I'm surprised, I really liked the ending, it was very open-ended, not something you see much these days, especially with movies that hit the cinemas.

The ending didn't really have to mean anything, they met up, that was it, it was just a view into two people's worlds, and how they came to be together.

:dontknow:

Yep! I thought the writers showed great restraint in keeping it "real" and not going off into Hollywood trumped up endings, but rather simply chronicalling the events in the lives of these folks connected by a common thread, all of whom were lifted in some capacity by their shared experience. The movie played to adults, not adolescents as so many of today's films do. It said, "Here's what happened to a group of folks. Make of it what you will." In show-casing "supernatural" events that the viewer is then allowed to interpret as he/she sees fit, the writers are honoring everyone's right to do exactly that :D

I agree the movie was a bit slow-moving (and the French dialog and English sub-titles were distracting), but overall I liked it. An adult piece written to appeal to grown-ups that poses the question, "What does it all mean?" and allows each viewer to answer for themself.

Enlightener
26-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Yep! I thought the writers showed great restraint in keeping it "real" and not going off into Hollywood trumped up endings, but rather simply chronicalling the events in the lives of these folks connected by a common thread, all of whom were lifted in some capacity by their shared experience. The movie played to adults, not adolescents as so many of today's films do. It said, "Here's what happened to a group of folks. Make of it what you will." In show-casing "supernatural" events that the viewer is then allowed to interpret as he/she sees fit, the writers are honoring everyone's right to do exactly that :D

I agree the movie was a bit slow-moving (and the French dialog and English sub-titles were distracting), but overall I liked it. An adult piece written to appeal to grown-ups that poses the question, "What does it all mean?" and allows each viewer to answer for themself.

Thankyou! :)

hawkmoth65
08-01-2012, 04:12 PM
I rather enjoyed this gentle exploration of life after death.To me,the ending was kind of abrupt but the implication was there that Matt Damon's character had at last found someone to share his life with,without his psychic abilities complicating matters.The French girl's NDE tying in nicely with his role as a medium :smile:

Mountain-Goat
09-01-2012, 11:33 AM
i found the movie slow. i didn't even watch the whole thing.

however, Matt Damon's "The Adjustment Bureau" was cool.
Don't you mean Emily Blunt's, The adjustment Bureau...she is soooo pretty.