PDA

View Full Version : how much do i really need to sleep ?

lemmiwinks89
20-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Hello everybody,

i run my my own company which is very, very busy and demands alot from me at any given hours. No matter, i still find 1 hour to meditate in the morning and 1 mour at night. i started off at 10 minutes morning and 10 mins night. I have succeded in improving my concentration. the only thing is, i am trying to learn french within 3 monts. just basic lingual skills for everyday conversation. this isnt to say wether its possible or not, it is, my friend learnt the language to a good point in 6 months, where he didnt need to mix english words with his french sentences. if i could stay awake for 24 hours i would and i could just do soooooooo much more. i know people like buddha boy can not eat or sleep for months on end and feed off the air. do i really need to have a 7 hour sleep a day. is something like 3 hours or 4 hours enough ? ive read stories about people saying 1 minute less then a 7 hour sleep your body will suffer. i dont want that to happen, but at the same time i want to have as little sleep as i can so i have more time to self develop.

i just want to become the best person i can become, hard work and effort is nothing to me because i dont want but need this and in as much of a short time as possible.

Any help is appreciated,

Thankyou, Lemmiwinks.

moke64916
20-07-2011, 01:34 PM
There are different LEVELS of sleep. It occurs in a 7-8 hour sleep period. So if you get 4 hours of sleep, you will miss a cycle of sleep that was needed. Plus you will feel like ****. The only thing keeping you awake for a 24 hour period is thinking. After 24 hours of sleep loss, your thinking becomes delusional. You might say or write something in your business that may sound crazy, but you are not aware of it. Every three days you can get about 4 hours of sleep and be fine. But I'll tell you, I have been struggling with sleep issues all my life. And if I wake up at 12:30 A.M. By the time 4:00P.M. comes around my thinking could be delusional. I am aware of that though. So on those days I have learned not to trust what I am thinking for that it could be false. I'd stick with the 7 hours of sleep if I were you. There are several stages of sleep we go into throughout the night. If you miss one of those cycles repeatedly, it can cause problems in the long run.

moke64916
20-07-2011, 01:35 PM
And you are more prone to illness. You will feel physically sick without sleep. It's just not fun.

SerpentQueen
20-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Everyone is different. Best way to determine how much sleep you personally need is to go on vacation for a week or two, and do not set your alarm. The first couple of days your body will be adjusting, so ignore those days. The rest of the week -- when do you naturally wake up, without an alarm? Take note, that is how much sleep you need.

Personally, I have discovered I do best with no less than 9 hours of sleep. Yes, I can operate on half that or even no sleep. But 9 hours is optimal. Unfortunately, I'm a night person so it's useless to try to force myself to get to bed anytime before 11 or 12 pm. I have rearranged my work life so I do not need to wake up by an alarm. I hate alarm clocks. There is nothing worse than an alarm clock.

Last night I got a full 9 hours and I woke up with the distinct remembrance that something -- some beings? -- were "working" on me all through the night. They were constructing a pure white dragon within me. This morning I feel different, like something new has been installed.

moke64916
20-07-2011, 02:33 PM
If I don't fall asleep by 3:00A.M. I stay up for the rest of the day, otherwise my sleep schedule will be screwed up. I take lunesta to fall asleep. I fall asleep around 10:30P.M. and wake up every morning without an alarm clock at 6:30A.M. We all may be different, but we all get the same sleep cycles. And if you keep someone awake more than 96 hours they will get delusional. The military says a soldier is inoperable after 96 hours of wake time. They give some soldiers Provigil to stay awake. I used to be prescibed to that. It works on your edrinaline glands. You will feel awake no matter how much sleep you have lost. You can stay up for days and still have the same energy level. I didn't do that, but soldiers and Air Force pilots do. Some, not all.

Internal Queries
20-07-2011, 03:01 PM
i'm lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. i function alright.

Lazarus72
20-07-2011, 03:49 PM
i'm lucky to get 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night. i function alright.

Hey, we'll be the judge of that, lol :wink:

I heard between 6 and 8 hours is best, also that if you have more than 8, there is a higher risk of getting dimensia when your older.

It might just be an urban myth, idk.

Kaere
20-07-2011, 05:16 PM
I need 9 hours please and thank you or Kaere is a grumpy spaced out zombie. I don't get 9 hours very often... might explain why the villagers go running in fear when I head out to the grocery store.

Deusdrum
20-07-2011, 05:36 PM
It varies from person to person and also from old to young. Older people (according to my Pysch. prof at any rate) need less sleep apparently.

My personal good amount all things on balance is at least 5 hours. 4 is not enough, 5 is for me, although 6 or 7 would probably be better. There are times when i get much more, and it should be taken into consideration your overall sleep per week. If you get 3 hours of sleep for monday and tuesday, it would be adviseable to get as much as possible for wednesday.

Enough sleep is very important, maybe the most important thing. If i do not get enough sleep, if i have 2 & a half hours the night before, things start going wrong for me. I make mistakes at work, get angry, am less effective overall and things in my life will tend to fall apart. Sleep is vital. I suggest if you can, find your comfortable range. Fall asleep when your tired, get up when you wake up, and judge for yourself what is an optimal amount of time.

5 hours is sufficient for me. More might be better, but 5 is my bottom line. 4 and i start losing my edge, and notice the detrimental effects. 5 at least for me. It also may depend on my personal energy levels and cycle of what im going through, what is happening, how im feeling at that point in my life.

I believe that what you need really is to get to REM sleep, and that requires a certain amount of time, in order to go through the different stages of sleep. 1 or 2 or even 3 hours i don't think is ever sufficient over any sustained period of time, it will take its toll on you, then again we are all different- however we all need a certain amount of REM sleep to function properly and optimally.

BlueSky
20-07-2011, 05:50 PM
because i dont want but need this

May I ask why?
James

Emmalevine
20-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I need 9 hours ideally due to my ill health but I don't often get this amount.

Silver
20-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Kaere, that sleep lack may explain your delightful snarkiness that draws some in and those other villagers run in fear, lol.

I'm sure, more and more these days that it has a lot more to do than we think with QUALITY of sleep. How deep and for how long, depending on the depth of sleep. I've been able to conk out for relatively brief time and wake up feeling like I've had that "8 hours" experts say is the best amount. I am a lot more sensitive/aware of how deep my sleep is...maybe being aware and the combination of need makes a person more capable of reaching deeper depths. Hope that made any sense.

Spiritlite
20-07-2011, 08:44 PM
I would have to say your body is the judge of that some people need very little sleep others need a lot I personally need a lot else I can't function. Are you safe with that little sleep? Can you drive with that little sleep? Etc.
Spiritlite.

Student4Life1975
21-07-2011, 06:20 AM
i think you should listen to your body, if you need sleep it will tell you. problem is, it takes a few days for your body to realise it, then a few more after you actually do sleep and catch up, so there goes a week of less than productive activity. whereas getting sleep for 7-8 hours a day, may seem like your wasting time in the short term, but overall you would be more productive during your waking hours, compared to being up more but tired and lathergic, not thinking clearly etc. dont sacrifice quality for quantity.

AnuChandra
21-07-2011, 07:17 AM
I love to sleep. A LOT! =) I would be quite useless with only 4 hour sleep. I can do it once every now and then but if it would be a weekly thing I would feel it. Im sure its possible for some people to function with 4 hours sleep, we are all different. But just as long as you are honest with yourself that you actually feel like you've had a good night's sleep when you wake up. Taking care of your precious self is so important, work and improving your brain is important of course but secondary. Listen to your body, listen to your heart and you know the right amount of hours you need.

I am at my best after 9-10 hours of sleep. I see a lot of dreams and I know its not wasted time at all. You said you want to be the best you can be. I get the sense that I often visit various places in the Universe at night, learning, creating with Angels. Besides, sleeping feels just soooo good!=)

SerpentQueen
21-07-2011, 02:18 PM
I got 11 delicious hours last night....

SerpentQueen
21-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Do you know why teenagers sleep so much? It's because their brain is undergoing a massive rewiring, pruning and growing.

BlueSky
21-07-2011, 02:31 PM
Do you know why teenagers sleep so much?

Hangovers?

Time
21-07-2011, 02:53 PM
If i remember -

newborn to puberty, you need 10 hours of solid sleep a night

puberty to mid twenties you need 13 hours of solid sleep.

twenties to 40s, you need 10

And 40s and up, you need 6 - 8.

Solid sleep means a deep, REM sleep. Not a nap here and there or a restless sleep.

Internal Queries
21-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey, we'll be the judge of that, lol :wink:

PFFFFT! :tongue:

Internal Queries
21-07-2011, 03:14 PM
If i remember -

Solid sleep means a deep, REM sleep. Not a nap here and there or a restless sleep.

hmmm. i'm lucky to get 4-5 hours of sleep and it's seldom deep. i'm such a light sleeper that i wear ear plugs b/c the least little noise can startle me awake.

perhaps i'm too in touch with my inner ferel self who never really relaxes, has always got an ear open for the lurking predator. i guess i'm not domesticated.

Firecracker
21-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm 30yrs old and generally get about 6-7 hours sleep each night and am fine with that. I work a full time job and have two young children so need to function well to do my job and keep the kids safe (when driving etc).

Personally I would just listen to your body. You could try dropping an hour for a few days running and see how you feel? Apparently a lot of people sleep more than they really actually need.

mattie
21-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Getting enough sleep is VERY important. Our nonphysical body does allot of work when we are asleep. So does our physical body.

not human
21-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Wow...you sound like you are really pushing yourself. But asking for the minimum amount of sleep in order to cram in more meditation or self development, if you don't mind me saying ......why?
Sometimes bitwe can be like the hamster in the wheel chasing our tail. I understand that you want to be 'bigger stronger better' but does that mean that you think you have a problem with the way you are now? Self acceptance is a foundation of any practice. You may be clear on this, apologies if I am missing the mark but this is what I am picking up. Also I have done exactly the same thing.
What seems to matter most is finding a balance in life in line with what you are drawn to do.
Theres an old zen story about a new student who asks his master how long it would take him to attain enlightenment...' 10 years' said the master. 'What if I really apply myself?' said the student. 'Oh in that case.....20 years' said the master. 'Why did you add on 10 years ?' said the stident. 'In your case....30 years' said the master.
What I have found is it is not either the quantity or the quality it is about heart. Good luck.

Medium_Laura
21-07-2011, 09:27 PM
It has been said that if you can sleep in 3 hour increments, you will get a better sleep. so 6 hours, 9 hours or 12 hours. Try sleeping 6 hours and see if you feel drained. Also going to be earlier can help. Get to bed at 9:30pm and sleep 6 hours.

lemmiwinks89
23-07-2011, 09:18 AM
because i dont want but need this

May I ask why?
James

Hi James, when work is done, everything but meditation and furthering my practices does not attract me anymore. i dont feel the need to pass time anymore, the more and more i meditate i realise time is precious, and nothing interests me more than furthering my practices in meditation. i am aware that i still have a lot of inner demons and fears i am continuing to make peace with but until i have completely destroyed the ego i am continuing to make myself suffer and the people around me by not working on conquering them.

hope this answers whatever other questions you may have, but if you wish to ask me anything else, feel free :)

AnuChandra
23-07-2011, 09:39 AM
If i remember -

Oh!!! this explains why my teenage boys wake up at 4pm!!! School is tough, my son needs to be in high school ready to learn and be sharp at 7.30am. That is just crazy and completely unnatural considering the age! So they take it all back now that is it Summer Break!=)

lemmiwinks89
23-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Thankyou for all the advice everybody, i will try all the methods which have been instructed. i will be going on a holiday soon also so that works out well. i am also now aware of my strange way of thinking and lack of self control when people are around me at that certain time, i will be more prone to negative thoughts and speech. I will make sure i get my rest before i get to that point now on. Not Human, thankyou also for your advice, i am also a little confused and if you could help clarify some questions that would be much appreciated :).

I understand that trying hard is not what will bring out my divine child. i Have watched alot of videos of monks, Sri Ramana Maharshi, Osho and a few gurus and have done alot of reading and self development aside from meditation and i am still a little confused at this point. I am aware from teachings that practicing meditation is something that will take self effort, and without it we may be able to concentrate very well, but will be easily distracted. if i am understanding what you mean is this where balance comes in ? because i am learning that i have not detached myself from the world, i still function and work in a company with employees, and have to keep up with some level of social trends and behaviour in order to also be good at my job. The fact that i am balancing the company with meditation and self development means that there is a limit which i can cross which unbalances all in my life and turns my effort into meditation into trying really hard. do you mean to find a balance between work, meditation, sleep? i am sorry but i feel if i dont ask questions i will remain confused. also what did you mean by give it heart ? i definately will be looking to balance out my life more once i find the right sleeping pattern also.

Thanks again everybody

not human
23-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Hi Lemmiwinks to follow a path with heart is to be drawn to it from your heart more so than your head good luck