PDA

View Full Version : Mind Bashing

not human
18-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi. Considering all the attention the ego / self has been receiving of late I thought it might be appropriate to let the mind step up to bat & take one for the team. I'll start.

Is it just me or do any others find their own minds lacking & at times just plain embarrassing & most always completely unpredictable. I mean I've wasted years trying to rehabilitate that puppy & sure some basic patterns have been disabled but the core stupidity of it stands untouched, not only untouched but defiant & grinning like a lunatic.

Years of meditation & it's still plugging away trying to hijack you at any given time to think about something bright & shiny that just flew by. At times it will convince me that I have the understanding of a Buddha only to leave me looking like sponge bob squarepants.

I've tried not to resist it because even I know what a wasted effort that would be.

I've only been posting for a couple of weeks but already I've seen a lot of evidence of some really top shelf minds. I mean I've got to take my hat off to some people, they've managed to cultivate these intensely logical, articulate & downright impressive minds & I say that in all sincerity.
I've always felt that winning an argument against me was like shooting fish in a barrell. I say that not from low self esteem ( even though I'm sure thats there ) but at a point of self honesty. Probably my one saving grace.

As a result having a mind that "don't work good " I've always tried to venture not so much beyond it, but I just tried not to overly identify with it as it seemed flawed & a trueism that has remained with me all my life is along the lines of if you can't apply it universally then look outside of it. That might not make sense to some but it does to me.

I've read teachers like Khristnamurti & more recently Tolle who have basically reduced it down to one thing : you are either living conciously or unconciously everything else is just padding.

In a lot of ways it would serve a purpose to think that the mind was created by the egoic self at least then you'd have someone to pin it on. Trouble is the mind appears to be wired into the grid of mass thought & it starts to get real messy.

Anyway if you've got some thoughts on this OR you want to swap I'd be happy to hear. Thank you.

mattie
18-07-2011, 05:08 AM
You may be underestimating your self. I just checked your other threads & they were written quite well. Not the product of a mind that one needs to be embarrassed about.

One of the least productive things we can do is compare our self to others. ALL have their strengths & weaknesses.

Topology
18-07-2011, 05:13 AM
Hi. Considering all the attention the ego / self has been receiving of late I thought it might be appropriate to let the mind step up to bat & take one for the team. I'll start.

Is it just me or do any others find their own minds lacking & at times just plain embarrassing & most always completely unpredictable. I mean I've wasted years trying to rehabilitate that puppy & sure some basic patterns have been disabled but the core stupidity of it stands untouched, not only untouched but defiant & grinning like a lunatic.

Years of meditation & it's still plugging away trying to hijack you at any given time to think about something bright & shiny that just flew by. At times it will convince me that I have the understanding of a Buddha only to leave me looking like sponge bob squarepants.

I've tried not to resist it because even I know what a wasted effort that would be.

I've only been posting for a couple of weeks but already I've seen a lot of evidence of some really top shelf minds. I mean I've got to take my hat off to some people, they've managed to cultivate these intensely logical, articulate & downright impressive minds & I say that in all sincerity.
I've always felt that winning an argument against me was like shooting fish in a barrell. I say that not from low self esteem ( even though I'm sure thats there ) but at a point of self honesty. Probably my one saving grace.

As a result having a mind that "don't work good " I've always tried to venture not so much beyond it, but I just tried not to overly identify with it as it seemed flawed & a trueism that has remained with me all my life is along the lines of if you can't apply it universally then look outside of it. That might not make sense to some but it does to me.

I've read teachers like Khristnamurti & more recently Tolle who have basically reduced it down to one thing : you are either living conciously or unconciously everything else is just padding.

In a lot of ways it would serve a purpose to think that the mind was created by the egoic self at least then you'd have someone to pin it on. Trouble is the mind appears to be wired into the grid of mass thought & it starts to get real messy.

Anyway if you've got some thoughts on this OR you want to swap I'd be happy to hear. Thank you.

You've got more humor than I do. Can I do a partial swap? :)

You should hear the things that go through my mind that don't make it past the internal filter.

For those that appear to have cultivated "logical minds", I guess you really can polish a turd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorodango)

Your comment is pretty insightful, is that not coming from your mind?

Yours Truly,

One Glistening Turd,
Topology

nightowl
18-07-2011, 05:18 AM
I like the way your mind works, its wiring helps others see things from another thought form or perspective. :smile: love the Buddha Spongebob thing...oh I think their are many that can relate to that...:wink: I know I can.

nightowl

not human
18-07-2011, 05:21 AM
You may be underestimating your self. I just checked your other threads & they were written quite well. Not the product of a mind that one needs to be embarrassed about.

One of the least productive things we can do is compare our self to others. ALL have their strengths & weaknesses.
Thanks Mattie not really trying to compare just looking at my own can of worms;;;

psychoslice
18-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Your mind is just a tool, like your computer, it has so much stored, and it can perform many wonderful task, your mind is no different, its when we believe that we are the mind itself, imagine if you started to believe that you were your computer, when it doesn't perform to your expectation you take it out on yourself, as many actually do lol. You are not your mind, be the watcher of the mind, use it wisely and don't get too involved with it.

Sentientno1
18-07-2011, 05:33 AM
not human, this does not refer to you, you brought the subject up and provided the opportunity for something i've noticed.... the articulate are the ones that make a splash in the pool. They may or may not be educated or particulairly intellegent but they know how to express thier thoughts in a way that draws attention to them..is it a knack, a formaly learned thing or simply practice? All three? Dunno, but i take the time to read the less well expressed because there may be a gem or two there also.

not human
18-07-2011, 05:35 AM
You've got more humor than I do. Can I do a partial swap? :)

You should hear the things that go through my mind that don't make it past the internal filter.

For those that appear to have cultivated "logical minds", I guess you really can polish a turd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorodango)

Your comment is pretty insightful, is that not coming from your mind?

Yours Truly,

One Glistening Turd,
Topology

Sure Tops you've got one of those minds I just sit there gasping at & you back it up with a real humanity. As for me if I had to rely on my mind for insight ....well then .....I just wouldn't have a good analogy right now.....

Sentientno1
18-07-2011, 05:43 AM
By the way, this mind mutters too, everything from nightingales to shoeleather and are we goeing to run out of toilet paper? It's background chatter, like a radio left on, superficial, tickertape, none of it sticks.

NightSpirit
18-07-2011, 06:17 AM
nh...the mind can also self-sabotage...the amazing thing it is! ...and articulation is only as good as the next person who views it as so. So however you see yourself or others is only processes of thought that can be changed at any time. When we notice the ole computer becoming slow and sluggish, we'll tell it to defrag. Our brains are no different. They can become bogged down with too much useless information and its operator hasn't taken the time to rectify it and perhaps re-program new information into it.

While reading your post, the first thing that come to mind was, the incredible mechanics of the brain. It keeps us breathing, our hearts pumping, instigates immediate stimuli to muscles to animate us in a fraction of a second, it formulates sight and can re-wire through a life-time....and this is done automatically while we're busy getting on with more important stuff...and that's only part of it! On top of all this, there's this other side, which is processing thought and right now its enabling me to put that thought down here. Amazing!

I reckon we tend to shoot on ourselves a lot....not noticing our worth, our humour, and our blessed ability to be able to formulate and communicate in such a way that you have just done. That is no mean feat nh. It takes ability to process your thoughts and be able to express them so delightfully in the way that you have here. How bad are we to stomp on ourselves so easily!

I often read brilliant thoughts in this forum and majority are coming from people like you and me....just 'everyday' folks...no rocket scientists! Each here has a unique way of expressing in word....because word is all we have here apart from the occasional emoticon. I thrive on all...the simple, the funny, the loving, the painful, the articulate and even the angry ones.

Others never see you the same way you see yourself nh, so from one aussie to another i know i can say to you "so go build a bridge mate" and know that you'll take it as inoffensive and as a mates pat on the back with a belly laugh.

Cheers :smile:

NightSpirit
18-07-2011, 06:25 AM
oh...and ps nh...did you know your even in the 'Hall of SF Fame'? dang right! It's like show-n-tell because others have found wisdom in someone else's words and wish to display them so all can share in it. Your there mate and you thought you had nothing to offer. :D

not human
18-07-2011, 06:43 AM
nh...the mind can also self-sabotage...the amazing thing it is! ...and articulation is only as good as the next person who views it as so. So however you see yourself or others is only processes of thought that can be changed at any time. When we notice the ole computer becoming slow and sluggish, we'll tell it to defrag. Our brains are no different. They can become bogged down with too much useless information and its operator hasn't taken the time to rectify it and perhaps re-program new information into it.

While reading your post, the first thing that come to mind was, the incredible mechanics of the brain. It keeps us breathing, our hearts pumping, instigates immediate stimuli to muscles to animate us in a fraction of a second, it formulates sight and can re-wire through a life-time....and that's only part of it! On top of all this, there's this other side, which is processing thought and right now its enabling me in putting that thought down here. Amazing!

I reckon we tend to shoot on ourselves a lot....not noticing our worth, our humour, and our blessed ability to be able to formulate and communicate in such a way that you have just done. That is no mean feat nh. It takes ability to process your thoughts and be able to express them so delightfully in the way that you have here. How bad are we to stomp on ourselves so easily!

I often read brilliant thoughts in this forum and majority are coming from people like you and me....just 'everyday' folks...no rocket scientists! Each here has a unique way of expressing in word....because word is all we have here apart from the occasional emoticon. I thrive on all...the simple, the funny, the loving, the painful, the articulate and even the angry ones.

Others never see you the same way you see yourself nh, so from one aussie to another i know i can say to you "so go build a bridge mate" and know that you'll take it as inoffensive and as a mates pat on the back with a belly laugh.

Cheers :smile:

Thats right NS. I think one thing, as a culture aussies are good at is the ability to laugh at themselves if we didn't have that we all probably would have capped ourselves

not human
18-07-2011, 06:50 AM
oh...and ps nh...did you know your even in the 'Hall of SF Fame'? dang right! It's like show-n-tell because others have found wisdom in someone else's words and wish to display them so all can share in it. Your there mate and you thought you had nothing to offer. :D

Hi NS cool I know I tend to get by & do so with a reasonable quality of life, but I still have to be honest & am curious if others find the same things when looking at their mind & if they find similar instances of insanity then I guess if gives us a foundation eh

not human
18-07-2011, 06:53 AM
By the way, this mind mutters too, everything from nightingales to shoeleather and are we goeing to run out of toilet paper? It's background chatter, like a radio left on, superficial, tickertape, none of it sticks.

Ditto Sen so can you really put it on a pedestal the its like a naughty puppy at the best of times

Topology
18-07-2011, 06:53 AM
not human, this does not refer to you, you brought the subject up and provided the opportunity for something i've noticed.... the articulate are the ones that make a splash in the pool. They may or may not be educated or particulairly intellegent but they know how to express thier thoughts in a way that draws attention to them..is it a knack, a formaly learned thing or simply practice? All three? Dunno, but i take the time to read the less well expressed because there may be a gem or two there also.

I am willing to admit there is a streak in me that enjoys the attention. And a streak in me that likes to hear itself talk. There's a streak in me that wants to help, and a streak in me that wants to say what hasn't been said yet.

There are a few tricks:
1) Nobody get's offended by someone who is self-deprecating (unless it gets foul and raunchy)
2) A large part of it is practice: I re-read everything I post 1-2 times for what I would tweak. (I've been polishing my Turd on the internet for 15 years)
3) I listen to what is being said by others and I try to tailor what I say so it is more compatible with/for them than saying something that is stock output from this personality. (There are others on the board that can speak to the situation and the soul and spirit better than I can)
4) I restrict my speech from opinion and speculation as much as possible and try to stick to the fundamentals and essentials. Nobody cares about what I 'think' when they're seeking to know something deeper for themselves.

It is with the less well expressed where the real growth is occurring. If it was just refined interacting with refined, then nobody would get anywhere.

Sure Tops you've got one of those minds I just sit there gasping at & you back it up with a real humanity. As for me if I had to rely on my mind for insight ....well then .....I just wouldn't have a good analogy right now.....

Before there can be expression, there first must be recognition. When you begin to see intelligence in the organization of "mindless" ants and appreciate the man that is willing to clean out your septic tank, no matter how many teeth he's missing, then all you have to do then is comment on what you see and feel to those that miss the little things. All of a sudden you sound profound and insightful...

I'd say the real forging of the mind comes when you begin to obsess about the path and start working with others and helping them along their own path.

And that my friends is the recipe for polishing the turd. Is it important to do? not really. The only person that really appreciates a highly polished turd is the polished turd collector. :)

Aches and pains, sexual desires and fantasies, getting older, fatter and lazier, insecurities, stress and fear. All those thoughts are there. I've just become less judgmental towards having them.

not human
18-07-2011, 06:59 AM
Your mind is just a tool, like your computer, it has so much stored, and it can perform many wonderful task, your mind is no different, its when we believe that we are the mind itself, imagine if you started to believe that you were your computer, when it doesn't perform to your expectation you take it out on yourself, as many actually do lol. You are not your mind, be the watcher of the mind, use it wisely and don't get too involved with it.

Thanks Psychoslice ....something about not avoiding the storm but dancing in the rain comes to mind .......I kind of have drifted into accepting my humaness as a way of coexisting with it, like every time it wigs out not to Q & A with it ...just allow it's dalliances & try & control the fall out having said that theres every chance that this technique is a total cop out :)

NightSpirit
18-07-2011, 07:07 AM
Oh so its nuts & bolts your after nh. Okay then...some days I'm firing on all cylinders, some days I can't even remember where I was going or what I wanted to do. Some days I fret, others I am on a natural high. I can fire at the drop of a hat, curse everyone out and in the next breathe, stroke someone's pained ego out of their melancoly.

Fast, slow, wrinkles, can't be bothered, too hard, too easy, jump in the deep end or think I've just had a profound thought and be excited by it. That's life!! Ain't no getting away from it. So forget about sitting with the Marharaja sipping chai, or tripping over your own foot in a crowded footy stadium....these things don't matter, only you do in each moment and however that is, is for the love of it and gaining only that knowledge. All else is a 'get out of jail free' card.

not human
18-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Oh so its nuts & bolts your after nh. Okay then...some days I'm firing on all cylinders, some days I can't even remember where I was going or what I wanted to do. Some days I fret, others I am on a natural high. I can fire at the drop of a hat, curse everyone out and in the next breathe, stroke someone's pained ego out of their melancoly.

Fast, slow, wrinkles, can't be bothered, too hard, too easy, jump in the deep end or think I've just had a profound thought and be excited by it. That's life!! Ain't no getting away from it. So forget about sitting with the Marharaja sipping chai, or tripping over your own foot in a crowded footy stadium....these things don't matter, only you do in each moment and however that is, is for the love of it and gaining only that knowledge. All else is a 'get out of jail free' card.

Thats it NS my mind will create a picture of how it should be & the reality is miles away from that. You can try & reprogram it for sure & good luck with that you end up with dog eared counter creations where the old program still in place but being superimposed with the new improved idea. Give me a break I'm done with it we need to escape from the age of mind & venture boldly to the age of awareness...

Internal Queries
18-07-2011, 11:35 AM
i like my mind. it's interesting, especially since it's linked to "other" interesting minds. just like the concept of depreciating selfhood i don't quite understand the denigration of the mind. i can understand the desire to rest from the work it does but to want to be shed of it completely is outside my ken. what a wondrous tool to want to throw away in a fit of petulent frustration. seems like a shame to me.

NightSpirit
18-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Thats it NS my mind will create a picture of how it should be & the reality is miles away from that. You can try & reprogram it for sure & good luck with that you end up with dog eared counter creations where the old program still in place but being superimposed with the new improved idea. Give me a break I'm done with it we need to escape from the age of mind & venture boldly to the age of awareness...

Welllll...i'm sorta erring on the side of IQ here. I am bewildered by the issues you state..meaning that I'm not in your shoes, so I cannot know exactly where you're coming from nh.

I'm not sure what you're trying to shoot for, but it sounds as though its not working for you. What is it you're wishing to change...if anything?

Sentientno1
18-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Ditto Sen so can you really put it on a pedestal the its like a naughty puppy at the best of times

i think psychoslice said it prettty well NH, just watch it do it's thing in times it seems to be running amok....just the non judgement observation seems to take the impetus out of the mischief.

i like your use of the word 'puppy' to describe it, a sense of humor is way helpful, kinda gives it perspective yes? It's also a very apt analogy, takes a lot of focused repetition with a puppy.

Sorry i don't know what you mean about putting it on a pedestal. If you think it's important would you clarify?

Sentientno1
18-07-2011, 02:23 PM
hey top,

thanks for the formula. Language, written or spoken, is man's gift to man.

moke64916
18-07-2011, 05:36 PM

To detach from mind, observe it rather than being a part of it. Start observing.

not human
18-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Welllll...i'm sorta erring on the side of IQ here. I am bewildered by the issues you state..meaning that I'm not in your shoes, so I cannot know exactly where you're coming from nh.

I'm not sure what you're trying to shoot for, but it sounds as though its not working for you. What is it you're wishing to change...if anything?
To be honest NS I don't have any clear goals as there has been a lot of inquiry into self I thought I'd put mind in the spotlight. As I can't speak for anyone else I can only express what I percieve with mine. Not trying for self indulgence but an inquiry. Everyone will have a different take on this & at the end of the day we may find we are more than mind & self.

Internal Queries
18-07-2011, 08:53 PM
We may be more than self and mind but whatever that more is it will be the self experiencing it and the mind noticing the experience.

Topology
18-07-2011, 08:55 PM
*sigh* Not at you, NH. It's just that at the core we're all looking for the same thing. We dress it up in different words. We wrap it in different knots. We all know we're looking for the same thing, but somehow we keep getting stuck of different usage of words. Perhaps that is to be forever the problem in a forum like this where all we have are words. I'd like to know if there's a way we can get past the words and the differences, some way of interacting beyond language, opinions and points of view.

not human
18-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I've experienced a similar frustration & I've only been around for a couple of weeks. Looks like a great opportunity on the surface but you can get bogged down with specifics & mind posturing & this is what I'm guilty of. But having said that words can resonate & apart from all the sticking points inherent with this type of venue an inquiry does stimulate at some level. I know I've been either forced into either shutting off or opening up to the viewpoints of others in this forum & I've done both at times. But even when you shut off your mind will double back & sneak a peak at what has been negated.

geminilite
18-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Not Human :)

LOOOL sorry but you and me both :D .. i had just had a conversation with my boyfriend about this very subject, i love the humour you have injected into this and if it helps i feel exactly the same at times, esp the understanding of a buddha bit and spongebob :P

blessings
x x x

not human
18-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Not Human :)

LOOOL sorry but you and me both :D .. i had just had a conversation with my boyfriend about this very subject, i love the humour you have injected into this and if it helps i feel exactly the same at times, esp the understanding of a buddha bit and spongebob :P

blessings
x x x
Thanks G I was covertly hoping that this is an issue for others as well, It's comforting to know that for all our chest beating we are all human & as a result get to do & think dumb stuff as we go along our serious little spiritual path :)

geminilite
18-07-2011, 11:04 PM
you put my mind to rest, i was so worried about my posts on here sounding very spongebob squarepants compared to all the other great communicators, reading this thread put me at ease and allowed me to chuckle at the humour in all of our human traits including my habit of fingers typing faster than brain can keep up and my inability to proof read properly ( being an indigo and a gemini, proof reading is far too tedious :S )

not human
18-07-2011, 11:31 PM
you put my mind to rest, i was so worried about my posts on here sounding very spongebob squarepants compared to all the other great communicators, reading this thread put me at ease and allowed me to chuckle at the humour in all of our human traits including my habit of fingers typing faster than brain can keep up and my inability to proof read properly ( being an indigo and a gemini, proof reading is far too tedious :S )

G we are way too hard on ourselves which may sound ironic considering the name of the thread. Being human means we can mess up. Our minds tend to either want us to believe that we are either gods or devils, & we constantly fall short.
Throw away that spell checker G & bask in your unique fallability:) Is that how you spell fallability?

not human
19-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Having said that I've probably now allienated myself from a large percentage of people in this forum. That would make me a misfit among misfits:)

Sentientno1
19-07-2011, 01:02 AM
sentient's dictionary: misfit....( A) one who has an appointment with a fit and misses it. (B) shorts too short or too tight ( c) a buff young lady

psychoslice
19-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks Psychoslice ....something about not avoiding the storm but dancing in the rain comes to mind .......I kind of have drifted into accepting my humaness as a way of coexisting with it, like every time it wigs out not to Q & A with it ...just allow it's dalliances & try & control the fall out having said that theres every chance that this technique is a total cop out :)
Yes if you make it a technique it is a cop out, but if you just see it for what it is and just be, then there is no technique, there is just being you.

not human
19-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Yes if you make it a technique it is a cop out, but if you just see it for what it is and just be, then there is no technique, there is just being you.
Most times for me it comes back to fake it til you make it......

mattie
19-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Thanks Mattie not really trying to compare just looking at my own can of worms;;;

I wasn't sure if you wrote the article as humor.

If not you are doing some really heavy duty comparison of your mind to others who you see as superior.

not human
19-07-2011, 06:17 AM
No Mattie I'm not confused between acknowledging & comparison & if I do acknowledge that you, for example might have a more articulate or blah blah blah different mind than me it is only for purposes of classification. I personaaly, and I mean this sincerely am really happy to have what I would call a mind that I'm not entriely in agreement with because it is that area of dissatifaction that never lets me get to comfortable with where I am at...if that makes sense. I don't see others in terms of superior or inferior. I see others, if at all as having different experiences & viewpoints. Yes I do use humour but I do have a purpose for that.
So thank you for your concern but I guess I do have a bit of distance between it & me these days insofar that I don't totally identify with it which is why I can hang it out like this.

BlueSky
19-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Is it just me or do any others find their own minds lacking & at times just plain embarrassing & most always completely unpredictable. I mean I've wasted years trying to rehabilitate that puppy & sure some basic patterns have been disabled but the core stupidity of it stands untouched, not only untouched but defiant & grinning like a lunatic. NH

My theory is this:
I feel that I am Mind. Whatever it is that gives life to my mind, which I'll call Mind, is what I am. It is watching itself,...it is not something I observe. It is me.
Thoughts are a product of Mind...........they come from everywhere though as there is really only Mind.....so in a sense they are not yours or they are yours to do with what you want. Mind seems to be unfathomable and incomprehensible.
James

Sentientno1
19-07-2011, 03:42 PM
uh, NH, who is it that knows about your mind?

Internal Queries
19-07-2011, 03:46 PM
The Mind is on a continuous adventure of self/Self exploration.

not human
19-07-2011, 11:16 PM
uh, NH, who is it that knows about your mind?

That belongs in another thread Sen :) but short answer ..the flying spaghetti monster

not human
19-07-2011, 11:20 PM
The Mind is on a continuous adventure of self/Self exploration.

I can't dissagree with that IQ, my inquiry questions the stability of the OS as a tool is it Win 95 or Linux :)

not human
19-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Is it just me or do any others find their own minds lacking & at times just plain embarrassing & most always completely unpredictable. I mean I've wasted years trying to rehabilitate that puppy & sure some basic patterns have been disabled but the core stupidity of it stands untouched, not only untouched but defiant & grinning like a lunatic. NH

My theory is this:
I feel that I am Mind. Whatever it is that gives life to my mind, which I'll call Mind, is what I am. It is watching itself,...it is not something I observe. It is me.
Thoughts are a product of Mind...........they come from everywhere though as there is really only Mind.....so in a sense they are not yours or they are yours to do with what you want. Mind seems to be unfathomable and incomprehensible.
James

Right on James my path has been to create space between observing & the observed. This has been born out of necessity mainly due to copping everything on the chest & requiring me to do some work in this area to basically become survival.
In doing so distance has been created & as a result I don't see myself as a mind but I try not to resist it either. That doen't necessarilly mean that I have some great understanding, far from it I have spent years trying to undo the understanding I have that was very limiting. I don't see my path as accumulating data but mainly to do with experience.

Unfortunately in a forum like this & using the limitations of a keystroke, one can attempt to communicate their experience or understanding or their path & this can be viewed as almost hierachy by someone on a different path as they may feel that it is not a requirement for them on thier journey.

It's good though in pushing to embrace anothers viewpoint we expand our own reality. I like that ...I think its a keeper :) take care mate

moke64916
20-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I've experienced a similar frustration & I've only been around for a couple of weeks. Looks like a great opportunity on the surface but you can get bogged down with specifics & mind posturing & this is what I'm guilty of. But having said that words can resonate & apart from all the sticking points inherent with this type of venue an inquiry does stimulate at some level. I know I've been either forced into either shutting off or opening up to the viewpoints of others in this forum & I've done both at times. But even when you shut off your mind will double back & sneak a peak at what has been negated.
Again I say observe your thoughts, and your thoughts hold no power over you. Also being Present in the moment your thoughts hold no power over you. If you observe your thoughts you will get down to the fundamental core issues of your thought process. Awareness is key. Be conscious of your unconscious behavior by observing your thoughts. Plus you will unveil a level of intelligence you might not never knew you had. I speak on behalf of personal experience. Peace.

Saggi
20-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi Not Human,

I take up my bat and hit back at you what you have professed to be the inners of your mind and tell you I understand!

If I take up the bat and hit you with an answer that goes out of your comprehension, have I won? Or have I wasted energy?

In a hierachy sense and in the rules of playing a game, I have won!

To me this isn't what it's about!

I use my mind to decipher your message and give you in return something I perceive you would understand!

This is turn creates a volley of thoughts going back and forth creating a whole new picture!

If I get it wrong, you don't leave the game, you ask, therefore creating a whole new volley and picture!

And if I don't understand I do the same, then in effect creating another whole new volley and picture

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

moke64916
20-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I think if one thinks of his mind as the enemy more issues will surface. All negative emotions are caused by resistance. What you resist persists. When you surrender to what is is when you will feel peace.

not human
20-07-2011, 09:09 PM
I think if one thinks of his mind as the enemy more issues will surface. All negative emotions are caused by resistance. What you resist persists. When you surrender to what is is when you will feel peace.

Thanks. I appreciate the general concern that I am taking a destructive approach to my mind in contemplating it. I assure you I am reasonably sane & operative. I am inquiring in my own way, some will relate to it & some wont.
I am the sort of person that if I am driving & the car starts to **** out then I'll floor it to bring it on. If I am holding negativety than I will do my best to find it. Everyone has their own approach to evolvement & mine is not so much to take it from a text book but to rip up the text book & try it for myself.
As I said thats just me but please no need for concern I'm simply looking in my own way.

not human
20-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Having said that I try 8 look with reality at not only the mind but at most things. I do see my mind as being nuts at times but I should have said not all the time. I run a business & employ people & am supporting a family & can make money & stuff like that so obviously I am not a total whack job. However my spiritual inquiry can be singular in its view hence why for the purpose of inquiry I am focusing on the limitations of identifying with the mind.

NightSpirit
21-07-2011, 02:46 AM
nh...from the many posts ive read of yours, i gather that you have a strong enquiring mind. You just backed that up for me by saying you are a business man. So I'm going to toss a weird bone at you and observe how you gnore on it. Its not a test, or a game. Simply a twist for the mind to kick in and work with. You never know, it could spark a whole new chain-of-thought. Or you could see it as a load of nonsense...either way...here goes.

The Gestalt theory suggests that the retina, when focused on a still object, will in fact not be motionless. Given that the retina will slowly move and then snap back to re-focus on the object. Research run with this observation and applied it in other theories.

Where I'm leading with this is....If we were to apply this idea to our minds, then what we class as 'stillness of the mind', could never really be stillness. The mind is always in motion and ever-changing its thought patterns. I really don't think we can identify to the mind. Any thoughts?

not human
21-07-2011, 05:43 AM
I'll buy that NS as I see a lot of truth in it. I also buy into Slice & Mokes interaction viewpoints. The ironic thing is the mind likes to think it can control itself like a dog chasing its tail. I have no goal other than to inquire, where that leads can be interesting.
I really like your example of the retina, by the way I'm short sighted. I love the Zen parables as their intention is to tie up the mind in knots so as a understanding can be percieved outside of it. Thanks NS

Saggi
21-07-2011, 05:43 AM
nh...from the many posts ive read of yours, i gather that you have a strong enquiring mind. You just backed that up for me by saying you are a business man. So I'm going to toss a weird bone at you and observe how you gnore on it. Its not a test, or a game. Simply a twist for the mind to kick in and work with. You never know, it could spark a whole new chain-of-thought. Or you could see it as a load of nonsense...either way...here goes.

The Gestalt theory suggests that the retina, when focused on a still object, will in fact not be motionless. Given that the retina will slowly move and then snap back to re-focus on the object. Research run with this observation and applied it in other theories.

Where I'm leading with this is....If we were to apply this idea to our minds, then what we class as 'stillness of the mind', could never really be stillness. The mind is always in motion and ever-changing its thought patterns. I really don't think we can identify to the mind. Any thoughts?

Only that I undersatnd and agree with this!

And although we, ourselves may not be able to identify with it, we know it's there because others identify with it.

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

not human
21-07-2011, 05:56 AM
I will say that I have always sought to explore with reality. Meaning not to view with a tainted lens to colour the outcome. We can be a bit awe struck & tentative with areas like the mind as you don't want to **** it off or it will act against us. Thats why we mess around trying to reprogram it rather than digging to discover. We will do that too but normally only when it gets completely out of hand.
Case in point I have not found affirmations work consistantly for me, they work at times & not at others. On exploration I have found in myself that normally you are pasting an affirmation over another concept, normally the thing you are trying to get away from. Without addressing the underlying concept can limit the result of an affirmation. Thats why I have taken a different approach. These are my findings & maybe not yours & thats OK.

Internal Queries
21-07-2011, 11:40 AM

i guess this phenom may be why i've never experienced the "stillness" folks talk about. i mean, even when there's no mental blah blah going on i can still feel "something" moving/flowing. it's out of this movement that occasionally visions arise of their accord.