PDA

View Full Version : Anglican Church in terminal decline.

norseman
13-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I have often said that Britain always was and is , a pagan country and that christianity was/is only skin deep. Well, now it seems that the Anglican Church agrees with me. The General Synod of the Anglican Community is predicting the end of the church as a functioning organisation in 20 years time. Reasons given are falling numbers in congregation due to "natural wastage" i.e. people dying. Current average is 61 with many congregations being much older. Also, the number of clergy is in the same decline.
The First Church Estates Commissioner calls it a 2020 Time-Bomb and a crisis and says "We dont really see it coming closely enough." National newspaper today.

Odd that ! I saw it quite clearly some years back by studying the National Census figures.

peteyzen
13-07-2011, 03:06 PM
quite sad that... I think they need a slick american marketeer in to `funk` it up a bit.
truth is our religion will always match our society or it will always be marginal.
I dont hate religion like many seem to, I see them equally, all frameworks thriough which we can head up the mountain toward god or whatever we call it.
Without a structure though, people tend to take longer to achieve anything significant in my experience.

norseman
13-07-2011, 03:20 PM
True but, mind, the new Archbishop seems to have some fire in his belly !

Squatchit
13-07-2011, 03:31 PM
My local village church has gone down to one service a month.

The vicar (think young, trendy and not too popular with the old fuddie-duddies) wants to make the church an art/craft building, open for most of the year. Nothing to do with religion. I think monies will predominantly go to whoever is hosting the event...with a contribution to the church for the use of said building. He wants to rip out the pews (they are not original and full of woodworm anyway) so that dance/music events can be held there.

His vision is about not seeing such a beautiful, historical building go to rack and ruin. And getting people into the place even if not to praise god!

I hope his dream comes true. :smile:

Time
13-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I think making any church not about religion is the key here. Its about communities and making people happy.

Squatchit
13-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I think making any church not about religion is the key here. Its about communities and making people happy.

I agree Time. It's funny (strange) because I went to a first meeting with a few villagers about the subject. The folks who run the Village Hall (or Community Hall) were worried that the church would take over all events. They were practically against the idea!

I guess they have a point - if you have a choice of running your event in a charming old Anglican church steeped in history or what pretty much constitutes a large ugly-looking shed...what you gonna choose? :wink:

Lynn
13-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Hello

I was born into the Anglacan Church and I left it at 13. Never have honestly looked back. Where I personally see Church going it to more the EMBRACING of all faiths in one house. Where we can all get on and learn from the other's.

Lynn

sprinter
13-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Their doctrines and decisions have been in contradiction with their supposed beliefs for a long time. Looks like all the comprimising on doctrine and pandering to the whims of (more than equal) minority groups finally caught up with em. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Time
14-07-2011, 01:26 AM
Its only as bad as we made it though