PDA

View Full Version : Spirituality and Capital Punishment

spiritmonk
08-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Hello all,

I have a philosophical question that I would like to explore. Yesterday evening a Mexican national on death row in Texas was put to death, and it really started to raise questions in my mind.

As a spiritual individual I believe that acts of aggression hurts everyone physically and spiritually and this includes the recipient of the aggression, as well as the aggressor. As such, aggression is something that should be of last resort; however, I am at a cross roads when it comes to capital punishment.

What do you feel? Is capital punishment (death penalty) a just punishment for an individual that took the soul of another? If yes, why? If no, why not AND what would the better option be?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

psychoslice
08-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Spiritually no one ever dies anyway, if we have a case of a dog killing someone we then put that dog down, the dog is as much an animal as we are, so if we can put a dog down, then why not a human ?.

Stellar_Steve
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
"We kill the people who kill the people who we tell not to kill people"

psychoslice
08-07-2011, 09:42 PM
"We kill the people who kill the people who we tell not to kill people"
Then we shouldn't be black and white about it, we need to have those grey ares for such things as capital punishment.

Stellar_Steve
08-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Then we shouldn't be black and white about it, we need to have those grey ares for such things as capital punishment.

Yes, perhaps. I'm against it, myself but I can certainly see the argument for it and respect it. I just think it will be one of those polarizing issues that people will never agree upon.

spiritmonk
08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, perhaps. I'm against it, myself but I can certainly see the argument for it and respect it. I just think it will be one of those polarizing issues that people will never agree upon.

And here is where my conflict comes out - I understand that the killing of a life, any life, will have a karmic impact; however, I also understand the concept of just punishment.

I'm do not think it is the "right" thing, per se, but my spiritual understanding of life doesn't conflict with the executing an individual who found to be guilty and there is no question of that guilt.

Stellar_Steve, as you are against it, what alternatives do you see? Life in prison?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

spiritmonk
08-07-2011, 10:25 PM
Spiritually no one ever dies anyway, if we have a case of a dog killing someone we then put that dog down, the dog is as much an animal as we are, so if we can put a dog down, then why not a human ?.

I would ask the question a bit, psychoslice: why do we feel the need to take any life, human or dog?

I guess what I'm struggling with is the impact to the soul of the person on death row and the potential impact to the soul of the person "flipping the switch".

With Love,
Spirit Monk

Stellar_Steve
08-07-2011, 10:29 PM
And here is where my conflict comes out - I understand that the killing of a life, any life, will have a karmic impact; however, I also understand the concept of just punishment.

I'm do not think it is the "right" thing, per se, but my spiritual understanding of life doesn't conflict with the executing an individual who found to be guilty and there is no question of that guilt.

Stellar_Steve, as you are against it, what alternatives do you see? Life in prison?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

Life in prison makes more sense to me, yes. Death seems like giving a way out, especially since it is done in such a humane way nowadays. I would want someone who had committed a terrible crime to be put in a cell with no hope of ever being free. I would also wish for them some kind of redemption before they die. I may sound naive but I don't believe anyone to be too far gone for redemption no matter what they have done.

spiritmonk
08-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Life in prison makes more sense to me, yes. Death seems like giving a way out, especially since it is done in such a humane way nowadays. I would want someone who had committed a terrible crime to be put in a cell with no hope of ever being free. I would also wish for them some kind of redemption before they die. I may sound naive but I don't believe anyone to be too far gone for redemption no matter what they have done.

I'm starting to think that life in prison is the "better" option in terms as well. I also agree, the option for redemption is something that would be available to all if they so chose.

psychoslice
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
I would ask the question a bit, psychoslice: why do we feel the need to take any life, human or dog?

I guess what I'm struggling with is the impact to the soul of the person on death row and the potential impact to the soul of the person "flipping the switch".

With Love,
Spirit Monk
Well I don't think there is a soul, and the one who flips the switch should of course be someone who can do the job without guilt, but either way it doesn't bother me, as i said before, no one dies.

Neville
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
John Malkovich presented a compelling argument to the effect that in the absence of a death penalty, the only arbiter over life and death(presumably exepting war time) is a going to be a criminal.

It's far too complex a subject for me personally as up to press i have not seen as my own right to decide on death for another life, aside from those three ant's nests and that wasp's nest. Oh Ok I have commited genocide, but they were all over my kitchen !

spiritmonk
09-07-2011, 04:41 AM
Well I don't think there is a soul, and the one who flips the switch should of course be someone who can do the job without guilt, but either way it doesn't bother me, as i said before, no one dies.

Howdy,

Help me understand your concept of spiritually no one dying. Isn't that the spirit, essentially, the soul living on?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

spiritmonk
09-07-2011, 04:44 AM
John Malkovich presented a compelling argument to the effect that in the absence of a death penalty, the only arbiter over life and death(presumably exepting war time) is a going to be a criminal.

It's far too complex a subject for me personally as up to press i have not seen as my own right to decide on death for another life, aside from those three ant's nests and that wasp's nest. Oh Ok I have commited genocide, but they were all over my kitchen !

I agree, Neville, it's a very complex topic and one I raised to hear what others had to say, so that I may foster some person exploration.

With love,
Spirit Monk

psychoslice
09-07-2011, 08:52 AM
Howdy,

Help me understand your concept of spiritually no one dying. Isn't that the spirit, essentially, the soul living on?

With Love,
Spirit Monk
Yes we are One in Consciousnesses, nothing goes anywhere, sentient beings appear and disappear into Consciousness, life just continues, but without you, that is who you believe you are.

Sungirl
09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
I have 2 angles on capital punishment.

Firstly, I am a big believer in karma and in reincarnation. As such, the death penalty takes away the opportunity for karma to be metered out in the same life as the crime, meaning there is less chance for the soul to learn quickly.

Also, the death penalty allows the criminal to "get away with it" as they get a new life rather than one where there is a chance to feel guilt or remorse. Yes they will get the karma still but because it is not seen to be connected to anything in this life they will probably get help from the state to deal with the terrible life they have been dealt.

Then there is the flip side... if you execute someone they can no longer suffer!!

We don't have the death penalty here in the UK but if we did I guess it would be for murder. Now, please understand I am not diminishing the effects a murder has on the family of the victim, but, I think rape and child abuse are actually worse and cause more damage to more people. So we are punishing the wrong people with the death penalty.

Imho rapists and paedophiles should be used for testing cosmetics and medication. Stop torturing innocent animals and use these scum instead!!

I also don't think we have the capability as human beings to make the right decisions, only Spirit can see all the cards.

I will state that this is just my opinion and there is no intention to hurt anyone that has suffered at the hands of a murderer.

spiritmonk
09-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Yes we are One in Consciousnesses, nothing goes anywhere, sentient beings appear and disappear into Consciousness, life just continues, but without you, that is who you believe you are.

As the beings appear and disappear into consciousness, do think memories/lessons/what have you can remain with the consciouness?

With love,
Spirit Monk

spiritmonk
09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
I have 2 angles on capital punishment.

Firstly, I am a big believer in karma and in reincarnation. As such, the death penalty takes away the opportunity for karma to be metered out in the same life as the crime, meaning there is less chance for the soul to learn quickly.

Also, the death penalty allows the criminal to "get away with it" as they get a new life rather than one where there is a chance to feel guilt or remorse. Yes they will get the karma still but because it is not seen to be connected to anything in this life they will probably get help from the state to deal with the terrible life they have been dealt.

Then there is the flip side... if you execute someone they can no longer suffer!!

We don't have the death penalty here in the UK but if we did I guess it would be for murder. Now, please understand I am not diminishing the effects a murder has on the family of the victim, but, I think rape and child abuse are actually worse and cause more damage to more people. So we are punishing the wrong people with the death penalty.

Imho rapists and paedophiles should be used for testing cosmetics and medication. Stop torturing innocent animals and use these scum instead!!

I also don't think we have the capability as human beings to make the right decisions, only Spirit can see all the cards.

I will state that this is just my opinion and there is no intention to hurt anyone that has suffered at the hands of a murderer.

Very interesting take, Tilia. Thanks for sharing.

With love,
Spirit Monk

WmBuzz71
09-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I think we have no right to take another one's life, especially one that is all ready under control of the legal system.

We have the right to defend ourselves in action against life or death, as we defend our soul or souls of others, for the purpose of good vs evil.

By executing him, he is not given a chance to become what he suppose to become. For who know he could've have grown spiritually, and become some sort of inspiration, people could have learned off him. Just saying!

When the situation is already controlled, then I say let the man do his life term behind bars and let the God deal with him.

There is now a power struggle for his soul, in the spirit world.

psychoslice
09-07-2011, 09:03 PM
As the beings appear and disappear into consciousness, do think memories/lessons/what have you can remain with the consciouness?

With love,
Spirit Monk
just like radio frequencies can travel out in space forever, so to can thoughts and memories, I think these thoughts and memories can be received by some if that person is tuned to that thought pattern, this may happen in the case of a child that plays the piano as if he has played for years, and without the child even having lessons, but the one who receives these thoughts are not the same one who transmitted them.

spiritmonk
10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
I think we have no right to take another one's life, especially one that is all ready under control of the legal system.

We have the right to defend ourselves in action against life or death, as we defend our soul or souls of others, for the purpose of good vs evil.

By executing him, he is not given a chance to become what he suppose to become. For who know he could've have grown spiritually, and become some sort of inspiration, people could have learned off him. Just saying!

When the situation is already controlled, then I say let the man do his life term behind bars and let the God deal with him.

There is now a power struggle for his soul, in the spirit world.

Hi WmBuzz71,

Why did you say that humanity doesn't have the right to take a soul "especially" one that is under the legal system? Is it because that soul's purpose was limited, or was it because of something specific to the legal system?

The limiting of the potential of the soul is a huge issue, one that I agree with.

With Love,
Spirit Monk

spiritmonk
10-07-2011, 05:54 AM
just like radio frequencies can travel out in space forever, so to can thoughts and memories, I think these thoughts and memories can be received by some if that person is tuned to that thought pattern, this may happen in the case of a child that plays the piano as if he has played for years, and without the child even having lessons, but the one who receives these thoughts are not the same one who transmitted them.

Great perspective with this, Psychoslice! It almost sounds as if the one receiving the thought is picking up a psychic echo.

With Love,
Spirit Monk

mattie
10-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Most advanced countries have done away w/ the death penalty, opting for lifetime imprisonment for these most serious of felonies.

It has been shown that it is more costly to process an inmate for a death row execution than maintaining them in prison for a life sentence as it is typical that the state has to pay for their defense, so cost effectiveness isn’t a valid argument for the death penalty. This leaves the question of appropriate retribution & how we act as a society.

It is most unfortunate & will likely have far reaching consequences that Texas, my neighboring state, chose to process the Mexican national mentioned in the original post w/o contacting his Mexican embassy as is required by an international treaty that the US signed. Many international lawyers, including one from the former GWBush administration begged Texas to not violate our own treaty. The US Supreme court refused to intervene in this to the dismay of many, voting along the expected partisan line. In the future this voluntary violation of the US of their OWN TREATY will give others governments who arrest US nationals a precedent to not allow US citizens access to their embassy. This setting a precedent is the main reason this mishandling is soooooo significant.

Allowing the foreign national wouldn’t have impaired the right for Texas to process this individual for what the felonies & punish him in accordance w/ state law, so it is puzzling why they chose to voilate our international treaty about this. It is even more puzzling that Texas chose this decision as many Texans are regularly in Mexico & S. America. The former GWBush administration lawyer pointed out that Texans' international rights will also be compromised when they are out of the country by the violation of this international treaty.

In the US individual states have the right to decide if the death penalty is used. A recent news report aired that said that it is becoming increasingly difficult for the US states that still use the death penalty to get the lethal injection drugs. They aren’t made in the US anymore & some countries have banned their being made to prevent their countries being used to provide the US states that do this w/ the needed chemicals. Good for them. Some of the states switched to using the chemicals that are used to kill animals. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe they will go back to public hangings!

US states w/ & w/o the death penalty:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/states-and-without-death-penalty

Amount of exectutions by state:

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/death/dpusa.htm

Shimei
10-07-2011, 06:34 AM
Most advanced countries have done away w/ the death penalty, opting for lifetime imprisonment for these most serious of felonies.

It has been shown that it is more costly to process an inmate for a death row execution than maintaining them in prison for a life sentence as it is typical that the state has to pay for their defense, so cost effectiveness isn’t a valid argument for the death penalty. This leaves the question of appropriate retribution & how we act as a society.

It is most unfortunate & will likely have far reaching consequences that Texas, my neighboring state, chose to process the Mexican national mentioned in the original post w/o contacting his Mexican embassy as is required by an international treaty that the US signed. Many international lawyers, including one from the former GWBush administration begged Texas to not violate our own treaty. The US Supreme court refused to intervene in this to the dismay of many, voting along the expected partisan line. In the future this voluntary violation of the US of their OWN TREATY will give others governments who arrest US nationals a precedent to not allow US citizens access to their embassy. This setting a precedent is the main reason this mishandling is soooooo significant.

Allowing the foreign national wouldn’t have impaired the right for Texas to process this individual for what the felonies & punish him in accordance w/ state law, so it is puzzling why they chose to voilate our international treaty about this.

In the US individual states have the right to decide if the death penalty is used. A recent news report aired that said that it is becoming increasingly difficult for the US states that still use the death penalty to get the lethal injection drugs. They aren’t made in the US anymore & some countries have banned their being made to prevent their countries being used to provide the US states that do this w/ the needed chemicals. Some of the states switched to using the chemicals that are used to kill animals. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe they will go back to public hangings!

The price for a bullet is under a dollar. A room with a hole in the wall on each of the four will suffice. When the day comes and there's no reason to make undue suffering saying when; a barrel inserted into the hole will accomplish the objective. This is just some of the methods used in other countries, and should be used in reconsidering our treatment of prisoners on death row. Cheap and effective......

spiritmonk
10-07-2011, 06:37 AM

Allowing the foreign national wouldn’t have impaired the right for Texas to process this individual for what the felonies & punish him in accordance w/ state law, so it is puzzling why they chose to voilate our international treaty about this. It is even more puzzling that Texas chose this decision as many Texans are regularly in Mexico & S. America. The former GWBush administration lawyer pointed out that Texans' international rights will also be compromised when they are out of the country by the violation of this international treaty.

In the US individual states have the right to decide if the death penalty is used. A recent news report aired that said that it is becoming increasingly difficult for the US states that still use the death penalty to get the lethal injection drugs. They aren’t made in the US anymore & some countries have banned their being made to prevent their countries being used to provide the US states that do this w/ the needed chemicals. Good for them. Some of the states switched to using the chemicals that are used to kill animals. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Maybe they will go back to public hangings!

Hi Mattie,

When asking the question I wasn't looking at this from a political/legal perspective, but from a philosophical perspective. Is it acceptable for a spiritual individual (or culture) to enact the death penalty for any reason?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

mattie
10-07-2011, 06:40 AM
The price for a bullet is under a dollar. ... This is just some of the methods used in other countries, and should be used in reconsidering our treatment of prisoners on death row. Cheap and effective......

Because of the cost of providing death row prisoners counsel the cost of executing them EXCEEDS the cost of keeping them in prison for life. Of course, we could opt to behave like brutal dictatorships where one is hooded, dragged off & never heard from again, presumably executed, but I doubt that many in the US would consider this a wise direction to take.

mattie
10-07-2011, 06:44 AM
...When asking the question I wasn't looking at this from a political/legal perspective, but from a philosophical perspective. Is it acceptable for a spiritual individual (or culture) to enact the death penalty for any reason?

i know that my reply provided additional information, but I considered it relevant as it goes to show the rogue behavior that the state of Texas chose to take about this case, completely disregarding our long-standing international treaty despite many, including the federal government begging them to honor it. The second link I provided shows how much more Texas is using the death penalty than other US states. For those outside of the US or US residents who don't keep up w/ these types of news events this might provide additional context about this case to consider. It is also interesting given that the violation of international treaty takes this out of the category of being a run of the mill death sentence case.

Personally I think the death penalty is overused & would side w/ the wisdom of those countries that have banned it & refused to allow the drugs for US lethal injection to be manufactured in their countries. Many would consider that this issue is a basic issue of what type of society we want to be. Declining to use the death penalty isn't about giving those who committed horrid felonies a pass or even giving them compassion, but in declining to be just as brutal as they were. With the death penalty it is easy to justify it for the most horrific & brutal of cases, but it is hard to draw the line where this crosses over to being overused & just an ugly type of retribution that isn’t too far from the mob hysteria of a public execution.

When does execution cross over to being overused. Again, check out the second link & consider just what is going on for one US state to be using the death penalty far in excess of the other states. In the US w/ the states' rights issues it is difficult for the federal government to tell states what they can use the death penalty for. Banning it nationally would probably be the only option to curtail overuse.

Shimei
10-07-2011, 06:49 AM
Because of the cost of providing death row prisoners counsel the cost of executing them EXCEEDS the cost of keeping them in prison for life. Of course, we could opt to behave like brutal dictatorships where one is hooded, dragged off & never heard from again, presumably executed, but I doubt that many in the US would consider this a wise direction to take.

Show me one democracy in a countries' history that has not resulted in hard dictatorship that has followed economic collapse within a few hundred years.

spiritmonk
10-07-2011, 07:02 AM
i know that my reply provided additional information, but I considered it relevant as it goes to show the rogue behavior that the state of Texas chose to take about this case, completely disregarding our long-standing international treaty despite many, including the federal government begging them to honor it. The second link I provided shows how much more Texas is using the death penalty than other US states. For those outside of the US or US residents who don't keep up w/ these types of news events this might provide additional context about this case to consider.

Personally I think the death penalty is overused & would side w/ the wisdom of those countries that have banned it & refused to allow the drugs for US lethal injection to be manufactured in their countries. Many would consider that this issue is a basic issue of what type of society we want to be. Declining to use the death penalty isn't about giving those who committed horrid felonies a pass or even giving them compassion, but in declining to be just as brutal as they were. With the death penalty it is easy to justify it for the most horrific & brutal of cases, but it is hard to draw the line where this crosses over to being overused & just an ugly type of retribution that isn’t too far from the mob hysteria of a public execution.

When does execution cross over to being overused. Again, check out the second link & consider just what is going on for one US state to be using the death penalty far in excess of the other states. In the US w/ the states' rights issues it is difficult for the federal government to tell states what they can use the death penalty for. Banning it nationally would probably be the only option to curtail overuse.

Thanks, Mattie.

mattie
10-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Show me one democracy in a countries' history that has not resulted in hard dictatorship that has followed economic collapse within a few hundred years.

I’m hard pressed to see where this historical reference you mentioned factors in to how we choose to deal w/ penalties & deciding what felonies merit the execution of convicted felons.

Should we behave like brutal dictatorships that drag off people not giving them any rights or legal processing because our country might have a future potentiality of following a perceived historical pattern?????

As I’m not a historian, if you could provide references to the historical equivalency you mentioned this could be useful in considering the issue.

mattie
10-07-2011, 07:05 AM
Thanks, Mattie.

You're quite welcome.

The argument against the death penalty is, essentially, the same one that a US general voiced about troops executing prisoners of war in the field. The REAL issue isn’t whether they are guilty, but what it does to the HUMANITY of the soldiers when they are in the position of being judge, jury, & executioner all rolled into one. Don’t recall which general this was, but it was about 2-3 years ago that he made this public statement. To get past it affecting one's psyche (& soul should one believe in this) one has to excessively compartmentalize regularly executing people to the point of being, effectively sociopathic, not having any feelings about this, regarding those they are executing as just things, less than human. This, of course, has very long lasting effects. The general recognized that we can't just switch human beings ON & OFF as killing machines w/o long lasting effects to them.

Shimei
10-07-2011, 07:23 AM
I’m hard pressed to see where this historical reference you mentioned factors in to how we choose to deal w/ penalties & deciding what felonies merit the execution of convicted felons.

Should we behave like brutal dictatorships that drag off people not giving them any rights or legal processing because our country might have a future potentiality of following a perceived historical pattern?????

As I’m not a historian, if you could provide references to the historical equivalency you mentioned this could be useful in considering the issue.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." -- Alexander Fraser Tytler

deb
11-07-2011, 01:36 AM
wow....strange read here... I believe that capital punishment is one thing I would never want to be part of. I have had terrible things happen to me and to loved ones and at no point would I ever want to be responsible for making such a decision...especially when it takes years to actually execute. As a mom, I will go to whatever means to protect a child and if in that moment I am responsible for taking a life; so be it. I do recognize life as precious (that WE DO DIE and then this experience is over) and that playing God and taking a life is not cool. I've seen karma in action. I wouldn't mes with it!

WmBuzz71
11-07-2011, 02:02 AM
Hi WmBuzz71,

Why did you say that humanity doesn't have the right to take a soul "especially" one that is under the legal system? Is it because that soul's purpose was limited, or was it because of something specific to the legal system?

The limiting of the potential of the soul is a huge issue, one that I agree with.

With Love,
Spirit Monk

He pretty much didn't have a chance to heal his soul. So I take it, his energy is up for grabs. I believe there's a war happening in the spirit world and we need to save as much souls possible, no good in feeding the negative energy.

spiritmonk
11-07-2011, 03:51 AM
wow....strange read here... I believe that capital punishment is one thing I would never want to be part of. I have had terrible things happen to me and to loved ones and at no point would I ever want to be responsible for making such a decision...especially when it takes years to actually execute. As a mom, I will go to whatever means to protect a child and if in that moment I am responsible for taking a life; so be it. I do recognize life as precious (that WE DO DIE and then this experience is over) and that playing God and taking a life is not cool. I've seen karma in action. I wouldn't mes with it!

You just offered perspective that I had failed to look at previously - those taking the lives are playing god. Very interesting way to look at it.

With Love,
Spirit Monk

spiritmonk
11-07-2011, 03:52 AM
He pretty much didn't have a chance to heal his soul. So I take it, his energy is up for grabs. I believe there's a war happening in the spirit world and we need to save as much souls possible, no good in feeding the negative energy.

Thanks, WmBuzz71. :smile:

Lynn
11-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Hello

Comes down to what the government that be and that be the majority of the people feel on punishements delt out. What I have found cruel is the TIME that one sits on that place of Death Row never knowing what the next day might well bring.

I had a teacher in school that before he was a teacher did executions and he talked to me once about it saying it was simply his job and that he put Light around their Soul to be kept safe and to be healed . That he knew they would live on.

I worked with a Spirit once that was a mass murderer and he was put to death....but he did not move over to the Light feared not being worthy of the God that he found in the end at the time of his death. When he went over there was only peace, and he has been back once to visit and while he did very negative things he too had a Soul a beating heart in his body. He was like me human.

Lynn

Guard
11-07-2011, 09:50 AM
Love doesn't kill...Period. When one executes someone, it only intensifies the negative vibrations. And then go and read the comments people put up about that and the Casey Anthony verdict on yahoo. Mainly a bunch self righteous fools that want to create more agony in the world and not love.

spiritmonk
11-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Love doesn't kill...Period. When one executes someone, it only intensifies the negative vibrations. And then go and read the comments people put up about that and the Casey Anthony verdict on yahoo. Mainly a bunch self righteous fools that want to create more agony in the world and not love.

Hi Guard,

Do you think that the intensity of the negative vibrations is dependent on the type of killing? So, if I take a life in the protection of my family, are the negative vibrations less than that of one who executed an individual on death row? Or is a death a death and the intent behind the death has no impact on energy?

With Love,
Spirit Monk

Rivendoah
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Has anyone on this site lost someone they knew to murder? Has anyone here lost more than one person they knew and cared about to murder? Has anyone here lost three people they knew? Has anyone here lost 4 people they knew and cared about to murder? Has anyone on this site know a child that was murdered?

Our fiends and neighbors were murdered... the entire family of four... a beautiful family of four... their two young daughters were only 9 and 4 years old... they were killed in the basement on a bright sunny sunday morning... while we went about our usual morning rituals... coffee... reading the paper... making breakfast... they were being tortured and killed... the 7 year old, Stella was over at our home all the time... to play and have sleep overs with our granddaughters who were close to her in age...

Two men came into their house to rob them... when it was done they set the house on fire... that was how we found out... we saw their front door was open and smoke was coming out... we called 911... I can't begin to explain how this has changed us forever...

But I do know this... killing another human being with out need is wrong... under any circumstances...

I don't care if our spirit lives for eternity... taking the life of another creates a soul darkness within... I can't explain it in any other way... and it is not just the ones who kills... or the ones killed... it affects all the people who knew and loved them... it is like a drop of water in a deep pond... the ripple effect of terror... horror... fear... anger... vengeance.... and hatred... bitterness... and finally the end of empathy... sympathy... it can eat you up like a cancer if you don't struggle against it...

I don't have any answers... but I know deep in my gut... and in my soul that killing is wrong... taking the life of another is wrong... and no one who has not stood in my shoes and seen what remains can tell me any differently... it's just words...

Sungirl
12-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Has anyone on this site lost someone they knew to murder? Has anyone here lost more than one person they knew and cared about to murder? Has anyone here lost three people they knew? Has anyone here lost 4 people they knew and cared about to murder? Has anyone on this site know a child that was murdered?

Our fiends and neighbors were murdered... the entire family of four... a beautiful family of four... their two young daughters were only 9 and 4 years old... they were killed in the basement on a bright sunny sunday morning... while we went about our usual morning rituals... coffee... reading the paper... making breakfast... they were being tortured and killed... the 7 year old, Stella was over at our home all the time... to play and have sleep overs with our granddaughters who were close to her in age...

Two men came into their house to rob them... when it was done they set the house on fire... that was how we found out... we saw their front door was open and smoke was coming out... we called 911... I can't begin to explain how this has changed us forever...

But I do know this... killing another human being with out need is wrong... under any circumstances...

I don't care if our spirit lives for eternity... taking the life of another creates a soul darkness within... I can't explain it in any other way... and it is not just the ones who kills... or the ones killed... it affects all the people who knew and loved them... it is like a drop of water in a deep pond... the ripple effect of terror... horror... fear... anger... vengeance.... and hatred... bitterness... and finally the end of empathy... sympathy... it can eat you up like a cancer if you don't struggle against it...

I don't have any answers... but I know deep in my gut... and in my soul that killing is wrong... taking the life of another is wrong... and no one who has not stood in my shoes and seen what remains can tell me any differently... it's just words...

Rivendoah, I am so sorry to hear about this, such a sad story.

I lost a very good freind to a drink driver last year. Some may say that's not murder but I think every time a drunk gets in a car they are committing attempted murder.

When she was given her prison sentence many said it wasn't long enough for the harm she did. Personally I would rather her walk free and be wracked with guilt than be locked away for life, or even executed.

I guess her crime was not intentional, she didn't plan to kill someone, so she is not as bad as someone that did, but I still don't believe that capital punishment is the answer.