PDA

View Full Version : TV SciFi series

norseman
05-07-2011, 01:41 PM
OK, I am a Sci-Fi nerd. Recently bought ALL of Babylon 5 but last week I bought ALL of Farscape including the 3+hour end movie. Now I cannot remember it as an adult prog when it was on TV but it is quite violent and medium raunchy. Series 1,3,4 are 15-rated but Series 2 is 18-rated.
It is very good, so is Bab5.
Good boxset deals on Amazon atm :D and in HMV sell-up sale

Internal Queries
05-07-2011, 01:45 PM
if you get a chance to see "Lost Room" watch it . it's a pretty cool series, so cool we bought the DVDs.

iolite
05-07-2011, 01:49 PM
What 'bout Earth2? We never saw all episodes, many were pre-empted and never rebroadcasted. Too bad it only lasted one season. I LOVE Tim Curry.. I'll see just about any film or TV show he's in. He makes a wonderful villan.

Internal Queries
05-07-2011, 02:05 PM
What 'bout Earth2? We never saw all episodes, many were pre-empted and never rebroadcasted. Too bad it only lasted one season. I LOVE Tim Curry.. I'll see just about any film or TV show he's in. He makes a wonderful villan.

Tim Curry performed the best Devil EVER in "Legend".

"Mother Night! Fold your dark arms about me. Protect me in your black embrace. I sit alone, an impotent exile, whilst this form, this presence, returns to torment me!"

ooooooooo!

iolite
05-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Speaking of Tim Curry.... I absolutely LOVE him in Rocky Horror -- I know it's not a sci fi series. I've got the tape, need to get it on dvd. He sure can sing too.

Aquarian
06-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Also sci-fi addict.

Didn't like Farscape.

Earth 2 is amazing. Almost as good as new Battlestar Galactica (1st series won non-scifi awards). All the episodes are available but the last goes between episodes 8 and 9 or something like that.

Game of Thrones is as good as the hype. Bloodthirsty though.

Defying Gravity was wonderful after slow start.

Doctor Who with David Tennent was great. Some like Matt Smith too.

Babylon 5 is epic. Acting is awful in first series, FX are very dated and they screwed up Season 4 but still epic.

Does The Prisoner count as Sci-Fi?

Nothing else springs to mind.

norseman
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
"Babylon 5 is epic. Acting is awful in first series"

Know what you mean. Sinclair acted like a wooden dummy :D

norseman
06-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Speaking of Tim Curry.... I absolutely LOVE him in Rocky Horror -- I know it's not a sci fi series. I've got the tape, need to get it on dvd. He sure can sing too.

I sometimes imagine a remake with Freddie Mercury taking the Tim Curry role :smile:

Silver
06-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Does The Prisoner count as Sci-Fi?

Is this w/Patrick McGoohan? Old/new?
I've truly been in a cave w/no tv for a couple of years, but I loved him in Secret Agent Man and The Prisoner (Or am I thinking of something else?)

norseman
06-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Is this w/Patrick McGoohan? Old/new?
I've truly been in a cave w/no tv for a couple of years, but I loved him in Secret Agent Man and The Prisoner (Or am I thinking of something else?)

No, McGoohan was THE man ! There was an American remake I recall and it was absolute garbage !

Silver
06-07-2011, 08:28 PM
No, McGoohan was THE man ! There was an American remake I recall and it was absolute garbage !

I guess I'm lucky then, I never recalled an American remake, oddly enough. What year was that?

Aquarian
06-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Yeah the 60s one. Class.

And yes I was thinking of Sinclair too. Shame, he totally looked the part. Wonder if that's anything to do with why Sheridan came in? (tries to avoid spoiler).

Time
06-07-2011, 08:33 PM
wow, some one else remembers earth 2 :O

norseman
07-07-2011, 11:49 AM
I guess I'm lucky then, I never recalled an American remake, oddly enough. What year was that?
Sorry, SG. It was instantly forgettable :D 90's maybe

dadevi
12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Sci-fi geek here!

Here are a few sci-fi shows that are kind of underground:

Fear Itself
Persons Unknown

Neville
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Battle Star Galactica and Star Trek Deep Space Nine Have held my interest.

sesheta
13-02-2012, 06:48 PM
I absolutely LOVED Babylon 5 - one of my favorite TV shows ever :) I own the whole thing on DVD! However, it is one of those shows that, to really appreciate the full scope of it, you need to watch it all in order, every episode, or you won't understand a lot of the story arcs....
Don't know if anyone would count it as sci-fi, but one of my other faves was "Highlander" - another great series, I thought!

Humm
13-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Absolutely - Big B5 fan here, also own the whole series!

That said, it is a shame they had threat of cancellation mid-way, and he had to wrap up most of the original story arcs at the end of the third season. They were brilliant, and the last two seasons more or less degenerated into simple space opera - though were still pretty good.

Also love all the Star Trek series'! :smile:

Mountain-Goat
21-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Dr. Who - but only the seasons with Tom Baker
Star Trek
Voyager
Deep Space nine
Next Generation - but only after season 3.

Lost in Space - always for a good laugh.
Space 1999 - first 2 seasons only.
Red Dwarf.
UFO.
X-Files - there were seasons where it was mostly about aliens.

Hey, is Farscape that aussie production, with humans and aliens on a planet with intrigue type things happening?

Humm
21-02-2012, 06:18 PM
UFO was AWESOME for it's time - am looking into getting the whole series on DVD.

last time I looked SPACE:1999 was outrageously priced.

hawkmoth65
21-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Torchwood....love it and feared it had been s*******

Dr Who....the post 2005 material mainly but some good Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker stuff

The Outer Limits....1995 to 2002 mainly

All the original Star Treks plus Star Trek TNG

Yes and UFO I remember as a kid....the series with the 'Interceptors' based on the moon right?

Mountain-Goat
21-02-2012, 11:14 PM
UFO was AWESOME for it's time - am looking into getting the whole series on DVD.

Shiny silver miniskirts and purple french bob cuts...Scrumdiddliumscious!!!
Oh and there were ufos and aliens too.

Mountain-Goat
21-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Torchwood....love it and feared it had been s*******

Dr Who....the post 2005 material mainly but some good Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker stuff

The Outer Limits....1995 to 2002 mainly

All the original Star Treks plus Star Trek TNG

Yes and UFO I remember as a kid....the series with the 'Interceptors' based on the moon right?
Yep, that's the one hawk.

Gerry and Silvia Anderson's brilliant transition into live action, from the Thundebirds and Captain Scarlet.
Actually, UFO borrows heavily from Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons(sp?)

hawkmoth65
21-02-2012, 11:42 PM
A friend of mine has just reminded me of 'Blake's 7'.How could I have forgotten it??

Yes AC now I come to think of it,UFO did remind me of Captain Scarlet.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

Planet of the Apes

The Tomorrow People

Time Tunnel

The Man from Atlantis

V

sesheta
23-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Yep - I grew up watching the original Star Trek series - my dad was a huge fan, so I became one, as well! It's one of the first things I can ever remember seeing on TV...I think my dad made sure I could do the Vulcan greeting with my hands before I could walk, lol!!
However, I was never a fan of any of the other Star Trek series...just can't beat an original, I guess :)

Humm
23-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I own the full Star Trek TOS on Blu-Ray - So cool! For my B-day last year my daughter bought me a vintage record album - 'The Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy', with such classic hits as 'Spock Thoughts', 'Highly Illogical', and 'The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins' (youtube that last one if you want a big laugh!).

I don't own any of the others series', but I plan to eventually. :smile:

Enya
23-02-2012, 11:21 PM
I've seen a recording of Nimoy singing clear a room of star trek fans - I kid you not. Fastest exits I've ever seen...

Right now, we're big fans of 'Fringe'. Brilliant series!

Mountain-Goat
24-02-2012, 12:22 AM
One of my efforts that i regard as worthy of a plug, in case you missed it.
The Leonard Nimoy Principle. (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D28699)

Now with three times the number of vid links for your cerebral pleasure.

The Tomorrow People.
Production values and style similar to earlier Dr.Whos.
I only saw a few episodes, it was an unusual show.

Do not recall ever seeing an Outer Limits episode, though i remember a few Twilight Zone ones.

StarTrek TOS. Cheap tv stations back in brisban that they never played all the episodes from the 3 seasons is it?

And hoy boy, they still want like $60 per season here.

Hey yeah, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Voyage to the bottom of the sea.

Henri77
21-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Just joined... and reviewing X Files at Netflix......
I quit watching TV entirely when Mulder left the series....and still love the great writing on this show.......Am rewatching select episodes that aren't full of mutants- murders

Discovered and watched Heroes first few dozen episodes,,,,, but it devolved into a horror series and I don't dig horror.....
anyway Hi y'all

Henri77
23-03-2012, 07:57 PM
God but I love X Files
How they mixed intelligent wit with drama ...or even parody & drama is enchanting. Probably why it lasted 7-8yrs.

Wonderful, subtle storytelling- story evolution ......not revealing more than needed to keep the mystery....

Heroes lacked any humor , except the slapstick of Hiro .... otherwise it was dead serious drama-horror ... a pity as the concept-characters were great

I can't think of ANY tv sci-fi with the intelligent subtle wit-sarcasm of X Files. Or such lovable-complex-imperfect lead characters.

And the poetic epilogue was unique for it's time (something Heros mimicked successfully)

Henri77
24-05-2012, 01:53 PM
There's something about Roswell I really like, and I've watched about 1/2 or the series so far. Neither the stories nor production values are above average for TV, but it has a certain innocent quality I find appealing...and basing it in a small town adds a charm not usually found in hi tech sci fi. The restrained performance by Max is also unusual and appealing.
Acting seems quite good though.

I started watching new Outer Limits and acting is spotty, from excellent to poor though the stories seem quite thought out.

Emmalevine
06-06-2012, 05:42 PM
I was literally obsessed with the X Files for years- no words can express how much I loved that show and cared for the characters. I sobbed when Scully was looking for Mulder - gosh how much emotion it brought out in me.

I also loved Blake's 7 and was pretty obsessed with that as a youngster. Who can forget Avon!

Anyone remember Sapphire and Steel? Am currently re-watching it. It's more a ghost story really although it's classified sci-fi. It's about a couple of people from another dimension who are sent here to re-establish order when Time (seen as a evil force) basically goes wrong and threatens humanity. There are six different stories in total and they are all as creepy as anything. One in particular still scares me - its about a guy who has no face and lives inside every photograph ever taken, basically taking the form of whoever he wants. He imprisons someone inside a photo and then burns it. Terrifying. Brilliantly done and with no special effects at all which makes it seem all the more real.

I love Planet of the Apes and some old generation Star Trek too.

Henri77
09-06-2012, 09:51 PM
I was literally obsessed with the X Files for years- no words can express how much I loved that show and cared for the characters. I sobbed when Scully was looking for Mulder - gosh how much emotion it brought out in me.

I love Planet of the Apes and some old generation Star Trek too.

SAME here, have been rewatching the non horror, X Files episodes recently.

I vowed to give up TV when X Files ended, and actually quit when Mulder left the show..,,, as it was the only TV show I never missed.

SUPERB writing, brilliant storytelling, cool dialogue.
Wonderfully, imperfect, complex lead characters,
Rare intelligent wit & subtle humor
An ability to parody itself on occasion, and even use near slapstick humor for variety.
And superb cinematography.

I oughta rewatch the feature films again.

The only character I really miss from Star Trek is Deanna Troy, as an empath was a rare characterization for the time, and she was strong yet vulnerable-imperfect..... a great character, and a very lovely one.

Far more interesting to me than Spock ... though when funny, or introspective he was memorable too.

Don't know if any of the followup Trek series had a similar character...anybody know?? an intuitive counsellor?

mickeyesbeck
02-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I love V: Visitors (Originals)
All Star Trek (not the remakes)
Battle Star Galactica (Originals)
Lost in Space
Farscape
Doctor Who (until moff took over with matt smith and messed up the timeline with the doctors. Not very nice or respectful)
Torchwood
The Outer Limits (The newer ones. Need to see the original ones)
Twilight Zone (original and 80s version)
X-Files
Millennium
Nightmare Cafe (Great show with Robert Englund)

norseman
02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Game of Thrones !
I never saw it on TV, so when HMV were selling it off in the box set fire sale, I jumped at it - great series 1 and 2. Series 3 due around Easter-time.
HOWEVER, I was window-shopping in Amazon and they had the box set of all 7 books in the "A song of ice and fire" series [ G o T is just the title of book 1]. I digress ! The book box set at Amazon was half-price. I was bought it by my daughter as a chrissie-prez.
OK. Critique : the DVD's were excellent but the books are on a higher plane still - remind me of my first reading of LoTR. Grab them while hot !

rainmaker
22-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I like sci-fi and fantasy or a mix of the two. I see there are a few X-Files fans, I used to love that series. I was also into Sliders, Star Trek (TNG, Voyager, some DS9), First Wave and some other ones from that era. When LOST came out I was a huge fan, even though it wasn't exactly sci-fi.

Arcturus
23-02-2014, 06:51 PM
Lexx was a great series.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDOMaTOSGE

many episodes on youtube. the older ones are better

DoctorStrange
26-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Haven't seen Babylon 5 yet, but i hear it was a groundbreaking series.
Farscape was fantastic.

Battlestar Galactica was just out of this world, it was so good.
Other series i thorougly enjoy(ed) is:

Dollhouse
Haven
Continuum
Almost Human
Stargate series

Heroes (it's returning :smile: cannot wait)

lonelybird82
26-02-2014, 01:13 PM
My favourite sci-fi shows that I would recommend to anyone, are:
Roswell (to me it's the best sci-fi show ever made)
Star Trek: The Original Series & The Next Generation
Torchwood
Doctor Who (only the Russell T Davies era, I consider him a genius).

Stormborn
04-03-2014, 05:10 PM
My favorites were:
X Files
Millennium
Hated when both ended
Recently have become interest in Helix.
Anxiously awaiting the return of Ophan Black and Game of Thrones.

yumi14
23-05-2014, 03:45 AM
Fringe
The 4400
The 100
Firefly