PDA

View Full Version : God Spirit/ Movement/Physics/Energy

nightowl
21-06-2011, 08:06 PM
As I have read many interesting threads here on SF I have enjoyed reading all the different experiences and encounters that many of the members have shared. In my readings I have read about visions, dreams, spirits, angels, physic abilities of all types, spiritual journeying or astral projection and many other spiritual encounters. It would seem that even though many of these experiences are similar in content that they are called different things by different people. It sounds to me that most of these encounters and experiences seem to originate from the same source? Am I wrong in my observation? So what do you all think?

I wanted to share this story from the New Testament and see how you all would explain or evaluate what is being describe. It occurs in the eighth chapter of Acts. Phillip is sharing with a eunuch to the queen of Ethiopia about the Book of Isaiah in which the eunuch had been reading. At the end of the conversation the eunuch decides to be baptized. After the eunuch comes up out of the water Phillip who was with him in the water immediately disappears. Here are the verses;

Acts 8:39-40
New King James Version (NKJV)

39 Now when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught Philip away, so that the eunuch saw him no more; and he went on his way rejoicing.

40 But Philip was found at Azotus. And passing through, he preached in all the cities till he came to Caesarea.

What in your opinion, in a spiritual sense do you think occurred here? Does this experience sound anything like things you have encountered yourself or have read here on SF or elsewhere?

All comments welcome :smile:

nightowl

Bluegreen
23-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Nightowl, perhaps if you post your own opinions first, it might start a discussion. There is no context in which to place your quotes--(I am not a student of the Bible.)

nightowl
23-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Nightowl, perhaps if you post your own opinions first, it might start a discussion. There is no context in which to place your quotes--(I am not a student of the Bible.)

It seems to me that in the verses I shared that Phillip is being transported in spirit away from one place to another. It sounds a lot like astral projection. There are many supernatural occurrences in the Bible that sound like many of the spiritual experiences I have read about on SF. I suppose I see more similarities between the the supernatural phenomenon in the Bible, like prophetic dreams, visions, angels, discernment and so on are basically the same for those who don't follow the Bible. All these things sound as though they are coming from the same source the only difference is the name we give to the phenomenon. I hope that helps to clarify what I am seeing, sometimes words and I don't get along...heheeee :wink:

nightowl

Lady of the Mountain
24-06-2011, 03:24 AM
It seems to me that in the verses I shared that Phillip is being transported in spirit away from one place to another. It sounds a lot like astral projection. There are many supernatural occurrences in the Bible that sound like many of the spiritual experiences I have read about on SF. I suppose I see more similarities between the the supernatural phenomenon in the Bible, like prophetic dreams, visions, angels, discernment and so on are basically the same for those who don't follow the Bible. All these things sound as though they are coming from the same source the only difference is the name we give to the phenomenon. I hope that helps to clarify what I am seeing, sometimes words and I don't get along...heheeee :wink:

nightowl
I agree, somewhat, with what you're saying nightowl. I do believe that the source of all spiritual gifts is God, But the bible doesn't believe that. In fact, it says that to use these gifts, or to even acknowledge them, is evil and of satan. Even though Jesus himself was a healer, a seer, a prophet. :hug2:

nightowl
24-06-2011, 03:32 AM
I agree, somewhat, with what you're saying nightowl. I do believe that the source of all spiritual gifts is God, But the bible doesn't believe that. In fact, it says that to use these gifts, or to even acknowledge them, is evil and of satan. Even though Jesus himself was a healer, a seer, a prophet. :hug2:

Thanks for your response LOTM, but can you explain a little further how it is the the Bible says using these gifts are evil or are from satan? I am pretty certain that not all denominations teach this...:smile:

nightowl

theophilus
24-06-2011, 03:20 PM
There are two possible explantions. One is that the Spirit acted in some way to take Philip away. The second is that the Spirit spoke to Philip telling him to go somewhere else and he immediately obeyed and left. It seems to me that the second is more likely because God usually works through natural means. Miracles make up only a very small part of the events recorded in the Bible.

Lady of the Mountain
25-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I am pretty certain that not all denominations teach this...:smile:

So true, forgive me. :hug2:

nightowl
25-06-2011, 10:30 PM
So true, forgive me. :hug2:

Hey no problem LOTM, were you taught that they were evil?

Thanks theophilus for your input on this thread.

I remember a great deal of supernatural activity by God in the Bible??? :smile:

nightowl