PDA

View Full Version : sylvia browne

victoria
21-06-2011, 04:44 PM
i wonder if anyone has come across this author.

i have read several of her books, one that is most recent to me is "the mystical life of jesus"

i wondered how other readers reacted to this book. i found it to be most intersting and most obviously true - i am so easily influenced tho :D
i even tried to convince the local minister!!

i once'd believed that god, really was an alien..infact, i still do to a degree!!

Gracey
21-06-2011, 04:59 PM
i have read almost all of her books and they helped me with what i needed at the time.

iolite
21-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Sylvia is a well known medium who has just as many followers as detractors. She charges $700 for a reading and has been on tv and famously been proven wrong. One example was Shawn Hornbeck. He was abducted in 2002. In 2003, Sylvia told his parents on live TV that he was dead. Shawn Hornbeck was obviously not dead and was found in 2007 alive. There are many other cases like this as well. If you search on the internet, you will find many of them.

Lunacie
21-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Sylvia is a well known medium who has just as many followers as detractors. She charges $700 for a reading and has been on tv and famously been proven wrong. One example was Shawn Hornbeck. He was abducted in 2002. In 2003, Sylvia told his parents on live TV that he was dead. Shawn Hornbeck was obviously not dead and was found in 2007 alive. There are many other cases like this as well. If you search on the internet, you will find many of them.

Several years ago I had a metaphysical teacher who told me that even Micheal Jordan doesn't sink every basket he shoots. The trouble with being a public psychic is that people are going to pay attention to your misses.

What I don't like about Sylvia Browne is that her beliefs seem to bounce all over the place. It's hard to take spiritual advice from someone who doesn't seem to know quite what she believes.

Spiritlite
21-06-2011, 08:42 PM
I like sylvia browne to a degree, I enjoy her books but don't take them too seriously I think she needs to retire and just enjoy life I think her life as a psychic is over in that psychic energy has changed a lot in the past 15 years and she's not that connected anymore
Spiritlite

LightFilledHeart
21-06-2011, 08:51 PM
i wonder if anyone has come across this author.

i have read several of her books, one that is most recent to me is "the mystical life of jesus"

i wondered how other readers reacted to this book. i found it to be most intersting and most obviously true - i am so easily influenced tho :D
i even tried to convince the local minister!!

i once'd believed that god, really was an alien..infact, i still do to a degree!!

Way back around the early to mid-seventies Sylvia Browne was an occasional attendee at the spiritual New Age church where I took my training. I had occasion to be in her presence and observe her energy several times, and, quite frankly, I was not impressed.

In all honesty, although she did have some smattering of psychic gifts (nothing spectacular, and truthfully substantially less than some of the ministers there!), she was always really all about the money. I predicted that, driven by ambition as she was, she would become very successful and very well known, and indeed she has. Unfortunately, she lost a good deal of what abilities she had in the process, and in my opinion that resulted from missuse of them and from devoting herself primarily to building a name and celebrity status for herself and making a great deal of money. If you read her books, the information in them is never new or original...it's always stuff someone else (or MANY someone elses!) has been saying for years! The general public, uneducated in these matters, snaps them up like hotcakes, lured by her celebrity and (in my opinion un-earned) reputation.

A psychic deserves to be fairly paid.. after all, it's a service, like any other. But your focus can't be to achieve acclaim and fortune! When that happens, the purpose shifts from service of to others to service to self.

I believe the expression is you can serve God or you can serve manna (money), but you cannot serve both. Sylvia charges an exorbitant amount of money for a fifteen minute reading, and if she is wrong (which she often is!) and you dare to say so, she gets mad and lets you have it! I've seen her read on Montel Williams show manys the time and knew and recognized that she was giving incorrect information, but no one ever went back and checked with the people to whom she dispensed her predictions in that flat, matter of fact and unassailable tone to see if they were even CLOSE to accurate...!'

Now her son is also in the "family business", and he too charges a hefty fee. Not as much as momma, but way too much for the average person's budget. Their reputation brings new people in every day, so they don't HAVE to be "right"... all they have to be is available.

nightowl
21-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I have seen this happen with many spiritual teachers. They receive an insight, they share it, they build a reputation on it, they merchandise it, than prostitute it for personal gain and than lose their abilities. I believe there is a lesson in there somewhere...

nightowl

LightFilledHeart
21-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I have seen this happen with many spiritual teachers. They receive an insight, they share it, they build a reputation on it, they merchandise it, than prostitute it for personal gain and than lose their abilities. I believe there is a lesson in there somewhere...

nightowl

Very true, nightowl...!

Spiritlite
21-06-2011, 09:11 PM
LightFilled thankyou for your input, this is what I've felt about her for a very long time.
Spiritlite.

LightFilledHeart
22-06-2011, 02:30 AM
LightFilled thankyou for your input, this is what I've felt about her for a very long time.
Spiritlite.

I had a prior association with her before she got famous, and it was easy to see she was all about the fame and money. I knew her gifts, such as they were, would be compromised, because she was mis-using them.

She has a HUGE "fan"-base... people who hotly defend her as if she were some kind of patron saint or something! I often wonder at the lack of discernment those people display, and it occurs to me that Sylvia Browne serves a purpose in the earth. The lesson of Sylvia Browne is to see clearly and recognize that she is not in spiritual service as she claims to be but instead advancing her own agenda of fame and fortune. She may even believe her own rep at this stage... I've heard that happens! But she serves a purpose in that she gives neophytes the opportunity to test their powers of observation, energy reading, and discernment. Those that see walk away... those that are deluded by the practiced deceit of a flim-flam artist will learn their lesson another day. I believe that is why spirit allows her to continue in her game... because she serves the light by giving others an opportunity to see through her act.

Medium_Laura
22-06-2011, 02:39 AM
I don't care how popular you are $700.00 for a 30 minute phone reading is insane. She needs to recheck her ego. I realize though with that popularity, she charges so astronomically for a reason. It keeps would be "testers" from calling up and it also brings to her those who obviously believe in her abilities as a medium.

I don't agree with it, but I can see her point. Can you imagine her client list if she charged $50.00 for 30 minutes? She'd not have a life at all.

LightFilledHeart
22-06-2011, 02:53 AM
I don't care how popular you are $700.00 for a 30 minute phone reading is insane. She needs to recheck her ego. I realize though with that popularity, she charges so astronomically for a reason. It keeps would be "testers" from calling up and it also brings to her those who obviously believe in her abilities as a medium.

I don't agree with it, but I can see her point. Can you imagine her client list if she charged $50.00 for 30 minutes? She'd not have a life at all.

Her fee was higher than $700 last time I checked, and her readings are more like fifteen to twenty minutes, not thirty!

I don't care how famous she is, if she were in true service she would charge a fair fee and keep a waiting list. It's absurd to say she'd "have no life"... she has someone who books appointments for her, and she can control how many readings she performs in a given week. No one said she has to charge $50, but for the length and quality of the readings she dispenses, she should be charging no more than $150. Personally I wouldn't give her fifty cents...!!

ivy71983
22-06-2011, 02:59 AM
When one lets their ego take over the gifts they arte given are slowly taken away. Ive never trusted to "popular" psychics or mediums because why do you need to be famous or charge ridiculous prices to share your gifts with the world? And to be honest i dont believe any psychic is always right. It would just be too perfect dont you think? It is why i avoid those who say they are 99% accurate - there is always a margin of error (more than 1% lol)

Medium_Laura
22-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Oh I do agree, but I was giving her the benefit of doubt Light! :) I'm in noooo way defending her! ;)

Yes Ivy, I too agree with that. No one is 100%, heck no one is 90%! and how do you put a % on a reading?? that's daft!

Her books however are written very well and I've read a few. Sad to see she got sucked into the fame and fortune end of it.

victoria
22-06-2011, 01:27 PM
i completely agree with most of the comments regarding sylvia...

however, i wondered in particular about her book "mystical life of jesus"

it seems to me that id found the answer when i read this book. how jesus wasn't killed on the cross and it was all a conspiracy....i do love a guid conspiracy theory :D

having read most of brownes books, and they are lovely...marble staircases and council meetings....all very nice, whether true is a matter of opinion or faith. i find it hard to lay all my faith on a book that one woman has written but she does have some nice ideas.

i believe that there are other books which agree or complement her belief about jesus. i never did buy the whole "jesus was resurrected" theory.

it is more likely that jesus was married to mary magdalene, that he didn't die on the cross and lived to a grand old age in france....

Tricia
22-06-2011, 02:31 PM

nightowl

Well said Nightowl, my thoughts exactly. Some start out with all good intentions, however greed sets in and what should have been on a spiritual wave length, gets pushed aside. There are no end of people like SB, as I said, many start out well, but the material takes over and it's all about fame and money. Gradually any genuine abilities these people had are taken away from them and in my mind they don't deserve them.

LightFilledHeart
22-06-2011, 03:16 PM
Oh I do agree, but I was giving her the benefit of doubt Light! :) I'm in noooo way defending her! ;)

Yes Ivy, I too agree with that. No one is 100%, heck no one is 90%! and how do you put a % on a reading?? that's daft!

Her books however are written very well and I've read a few. Sad to see she got sucked into the fame and fortune end of it.

Hi Laura!

Her books are indeed well-written and presented in a very commercial and appealing format, but as I said in my original post about her, there is nothing original or new in any of them. Everything she presents has been presented by someone (or MANY someones!) else, and is simply re-packaged. I have yet to find a single original thought presented by her. Now granted, much of what we accept as spiriutal knowledge IS ancient and eternal and the expression there is nothing new under the sun is a somewhat of a trueism on that score! But Sylvia packages this stuff up and presents it as her own, and that's just not true. Her followers hang on every word and she rakes in beaucoup bucks each year in book sales.

I agree with you that it's sad when someone becomes over-taken by ego to the detriment of their gifts in spirit. I don't think it happens to all those who achieve celebrity status, but it definitely is a challenge. That's why they say the two greatest lessons of the soul are abject poverty and great wealth, with great wealth being the more difficult of the two...!

And I think too that people in those positions serve the rest of us by showing us what NOT to be and teaching us how to not be fooled by packaging but rather to use our God-given discernment to determine what is real and true and what is hype.

Just my thoughts on the matter! :smile:

iolite
22-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Her fee was higher than $700 last time I checked, and her readings are more like fifteen to twenty minutes, not thirty!

I don't care how famous she is, if she were in true service she would charge a fair fee and keep a waiting list. It's absurd to say she'd "have no life"... she has someone who books appointments for her, and she can control how many readings she performs in a given week. No one said she has to charge $50, but for the length and quality of the readings she dispenses, she should be charging no more than $150. Personally I wouldn't give her fifty cents...!!

LFH...

You have voiced my feelings quite succinctly!! :wink:

Spiritlite
23-06-2011, 02:19 AM
LFH yeah I've read all her books and everytime I'm thinking as I'm reading her book "wait someone else has said this" I think she is very good at just taking things she has researched from other very gifted psychis/intuitives and twisted it to her own way. By the way didn't she just have a heart attack? Does anyone know how she is doing? Even though I don't like what she does, I still don't wish that on anyone.
Spiritlit.e

Miss Hepburn
23-06-2011, 02:27 AM
PS Her best book is "The Other Side and Back", wow ---purple with gold on the cover.
I mean, imo.
:smile:

Spiritlite
23-06-2011, 02:30 AM
(((((((((((((Miss Hepburn))))))))))))

Miss Hepburn
23-06-2011, 12:03 PM
(((((((((((((Miss Hepburn))))))))))))

What'd I do now!:tongue:

I don't give a hoot about anything that she does or charges or marries or how she spends her money or
how unhealthy she looks --- That was her best book by far, though. :glasses2:

Gracey
23-06-2011, 12:15 PM
i liked her book of dreams and book of angels.

Spiritlite
24-06-2011, 12:22 AM
I agree I enjoyed her books too........I don't enjoy how she is and what she does to make money....but her books are not that bad....but...like I said before I still believe that books she wrote had content that was borrowed from other spiritualists...it's not that hard.
Spiritlite.

Gracey
24-06-2011, 01:12 AM
:brave:yeah, for me whoever the "outside" source of information is, is not what is important, it is the information itself. and i am grateful to all those, including Sylvia who has helped me along the way on the path of self actualization.

Spiritlite
24-06-2011, 01:30 AM
True Gracey she has done that for many people.
Spiritlite.

primrose
01-07-2011, 08:29 PM
I had also read her books, and was facinated. Two years ago she came here, it was a sold out show, I went and was not impressed. Everything she said seemed to be so general nothing specific. Towards the end she had people in the audience form a line on either side of the theatre and they could ask one question, she gave a yes or no, I was'nt one of them so I don't know how accurate she was.

LightFilledHeart
01-07-2011, 11:59 PM
What'd I do now!:tongue:

I don't give a hoot about anything that she does or charges or marries or how she spends her money or
how unhealthy she looks --- That was her best book by far, though. :glasses2:

Well ya coulda gotten the information years before from any number of excellent authors :wink: I'm just sayin...

Spiritlite
02-07-2011, 03:40 PM
True Light filled
Spiritlite.

Windflower
06-11-2011, 09:39 PM
I was at one time a huge fan. The series of 3 books that came in a set. I think it was "Journey of the Soul" or something to that effect. They really helped me get over this mental block at the time of feeling like a freak for my beliefs, abilities, and inner knowings. It made me feel ok about myself. It was so freeing not to feel alone in the world. There were certain things in the one book that I had a hard time swallowing but most of it made sense. After, seeing her enoungh times on Motel and and listening to her radio show, I just stopped caring for her methods. She seemed nothing like what she was putting forth in her books. She almost seemed irritated and abrupt with the very people who were her fan base and keeping her livelihood going. I became disheartened by what I saw. However, reading her books opened up doors to so many other great and talented authors and intuitives. So for that I am thankful.

Miss Hepburn
07-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Great people are often irritated and abrupt with people ---Jesus, Mother Theresa, St. Theresa of Avila, me....

Sarian
08-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I've never been very impressed with her. My mom used to watch her on Montel Williams. I would view out of curiousity on occasion and then found a couple of her books in the cheap sale bins. I read one, it was interesting for a bit, but then seemed to get more outlandish as though she watched a Jetson (cartoon) marathon and got her ideas from that.

LuvChild
02-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I've enjoyed many of the books I've read by her, some were too boring to finish though, but the ones that I did really helped me look at my life a lot differently. However, after reading through the many comments here that are not exactly pro-Sylvia Browne, I don't feel this is the right place for me to discuss her now.

Miss Hepburn
03-03-2012, 01:51 AM
I've enjoyed many of the books I've read by her, some were too boring to finish though, but the ones that I did really helped me look at my life a lot differently. However, after reading through the many comments here that are not exactly pro-Sylvia Browne, I don't feel this is the right place for me to discuss her now.
Well, I'm pro- Sylvia. Learning to ignore others is an art.
Esp, when you are the appreciative one.

Deusdrum
03-03-2012, 08:49 AM
I have not read any of her books, though i have heard of her before. The one time i heard her was on Coast to Coast, it was George Noory and he was talking about some mining disaster. George asked her if the 13th miner was alive or dead (the other 12 had died) and she said he had died.

Then later after a break George got breaking news that the 13th miner had survived and was alive. So ok, no big deal, psychic's aren't always right, to be sure.

The thing that really got me and threw me off though was when George asked her again about it, and she completely denied that she said what she did, even George Noory was kind of taken aback by this. Just the way that whole exchange and situation played out gave me a weird sense, didn't get the greatest vibe from her, maybe that is not being fair, but i listen closely to all coast to coast guests and consider myself to have a decent intuition and judgment of character, of course i am probably not perfect, and that's just my opinion. I know that is a small sample size from which to judge a person, but i have no further use for her after that. Not to say she might not have her positives, but there are too many other authors, people out there for me to be bothered much further with her than that.

I don't mean to upset any of her supporters or anything, haven't read any of her books as mentioned so i am not qualified in that sense to comment, but i always remember that Coast to Coast show with her. Wonder if someone could dig up that interview from the archives somewhere. It was a few years ago now. Think the mining disaster was in the U.S. also if memory serves correctly.

coolchic101
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
I have never invested in a reading with Sylvia Browne because it is not within my budget range. However, I did read many of her books and I found them to be insightful. I think many people give up their power to psychics and then they get disappointed when they hear what they do not want to hear or if the psychic was "off" or "wrong". Then they disparage the psychic giving them a bad name. Readings should only be for entertainment purposes. Even the best psychics in the world can be wrong because they are only human. Before I read others, I will tell them that it's for entertainment only, I do not guarantee my accuracy and readings should not take the place of going to a health care professional, counselor, or therapist.

primrose
13-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I was fortunate enough to meet a true psychic. he only charged $10. this was a few years age. I took all my friends to see him, all were amazed. He used tarot cards but said they were only a tool. He had no particular time limit and as two of us at a time were there he would actually give us both information.I've gone off topic since this is about Sylvia Browne, all I can say is she does'nt come close.

spiritualized
13-06-2012, 09:04 AM
I don't like her - read one of her books & thought it was awful. A lot of fear mongering as well.