PDA

View Full Version : Celebrating the soltice

Sungirl
20-06-2011, 03:16 PM
I am fully aware that this is more than likely my intollerance... but i wonder, why do people who are not pagan any other time of the year celebrate the summer solstice?

My FB page is full of people saying "who's celebrating tonight?".. but i bet none of them even know what or when Imbolg is, let alone celebrate it....

I know, probably me being grumpy... so I'll grump off...... :icon_frown:

norseman
20-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Tilia, you only have to look at the majority of people who gather each year at Stonehenge to realise that most of them do not know the significance of the date.
p.s. Also look at the amount of litter they leave behind !
Most REAL pagans avoid Stonehenge like the plague.

Sungirl
20-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I was going to post about that but thought it would be too grumpy.

I was at a winter solstice led by Emma Restall Orr and we couldn't use the henge because the "revellers" made too much of a mess. Says something when an organised Druid event can't use the stones because of the drunks and stoners!!!

Spiritlite
20-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I am kind of pagan and do celebrate the solstice can you educate us more about the pagan significance of summer soltice, I have a pretty good idea of it, but can you tell us more?
Spiritlite.

norseman
20-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Spiritlite, the significance is almost nothing to do with being a pagan. It is to do with the Wheel of the Year. The Sun passes through the Wheel in a fixed cycle, and the Wheel represents the ebb and flow reflecting the passage of the seasons. The Craft year reflects this Tide of Nature which was well known to the neolithic farmers and their shaman. The four solar festivals are seen as aligned to the four cardinal points of the circle, and the four fire festivals with the cross-quarter points. So, man follows where Nature leads, as it always was and, hopefully, always will be.
The summer solstice, Coamhain, associated with the zenith of the sun's strength, with things beginning to ripen, and with maturity and the prime of life. Almost every ancient culture recognised this solstice [and the winter solstice]. Worth noting that the date is given as ABOUT June 21st - Nature does not work to a strict timetable, all farmers are well aware of this fact.
And I am starting to rabbit on about the wonder of Mother Nature so I will shut up :D
[Tilia, Stonehenge is not the ONLY henge:wink: - we have a secret in the North :D]

Sungirl
20-06-2011, 05:47 PM
rabbit away Norsey

For me it is the fight between the oak king and the holly king with the holly king killing the oak king representing the triumph of dark over light as we are entering the dark half of the year.

As a sun worshiper this is not something for me to celebrate as it's downhill now until Yule... now Yule? That IS something to celebrate!!!!!

I see the cycle of the seasons connected to the ebb and flow of nature too. It is about the growing season and how people lived with the land. All the mythology for me is a metaphor to explain those cycles.

norseman
20-06-2011, 05:55 PM
" not something for me to celebrate as it's downhill now until Yule."

What about [my favourite !] Samhain ?

Sungirl
20-06-2011, 06:13 PM
that's a time to bed down with chocolate and my SAD lamp and wait out yule and imbolg!!!

i really struggle with the dark half :(

norseman
20-06-2011, 06:15 PM
tut, tut ! Best time to walk the hedge :smile:

Sungirl
20-06-2011, 06:24 PM
since changing jobs I have lost my giant window that I used to sit next to so I don't get enough sunlight, so suffer from SAD.

Last winter was better than the one before as I am adding stuff that I can do to get through it. Bought my SAD lamp last winter and increased my Vit D intake.. but most of the time it is enough to get through to April. Yule and Imbolg are markers to tell me I am getting there... but I really don't have the motivation to get outside much.

This winter I am planning to add a half hour walk at lunch time during the week which will help a little more I think.

Until I get it sussed I will continue to worship the Sun King and his enlivening rays!!!!

norseman
20-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Sounds a good plan, Tilia. :smile:

Animus27
20-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I am fully aware that this is more than likely my intollerance... but i wonder, why do people who are not pagan any other time of the year celebrate the summer solstice?

My FB page is full of people saying "who's celebrating tonight?".. but i bet none of them even know what or when Imbolg is, let alone celebrate it....

I know, probably me being grumpy... so I'll grump off...... :icon_frown:
Most of those people are posers. Not to act like pagans have a monopoly on celestial based holidays, because they surely do not. But most people who flock to Stone Henge are more of a "tourist" than a person who really knows the various meanings behind the event - or would even celebrate it outside of Stone Henge.

And yeah, I agree, many such people wouldn't know Oimelc if it bit them in the face lol.

tragblack
20-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Solstice means a few things to many cultures all over the world. It is not a solely Pagan thing.

Spiritlite
21-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Thankyou everyone for educating me more on this :)
xox
Spiritlite.

LightFilledHeart
21-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't call myself a wiccan or a pagan or any other "an" or "ist". I've studied the religions of the world and arrived at my own spiritual path which is individual and suited specifically to me. I'm very comfortable taking what resonates with me from any and all mind-sets and applying it in my personal life. I've never been much of a "joiner", nor do I need the approval of others to feel comfortable in my beliefs.

I'll be doing ritual that feels right and appropriate to the occasion in the privacy of my back yard tonight, and whatever anyone else does or doesn't do is fine with me :smile:

Saggi
21-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't call myself a wiccan or a pagan or any other "an" or "ist".
I've studied the religions of the world and arrived at my own spiritual path which is individual and suited specifically to me.
I'm very comfortable taking what resonates with me from any and all mind-sets and applying it in my personal life.
I've never been much of a "joiner", nor do I need the approval of others to feel comfortable in my beliefs.
I'll be doing ritual that feels right and appropriate to the occasion in the privacy of my back yard tonight, and whatever anyone else does or doesn't do is fine with me :smile:

Well said!

I go to Stonehenge because it's the place I'm drawn to and have been for years.

Life commitments meant I had to wait and with my first experience I'm glad I did!

I've just got back from my 3rd Summer Solstice there and I don't go because I'm pagan or otherwise, just because I'm drawn there.

I'm neither a drunk nor a stoner. I smoke ciggies and bring my ends away with me and I see others who do the same!

I can't speak for those who do differently, that's their choice.

It means what it means to me, regardless of what it may have once meant, still means, doesn't mean anymore.

Happy Solstice to you all regardless of your beliefs :hug:

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

LightFilledHeart
21-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Well said!

I go to Stonehenge because it's the place I'm drawn to and have been for years.

Life commitments meant I had to wait and with my first experience I'm glad I did!

I've just got back from my 3rd Summer Solstice there and I don't go because I'm pagan or otherwise, just because I'm drawn there.

I'm neither a drunk nor a stoner. I smoke ciggies and bring my ends away with me and I see others who do the same!

I can't speak for those who do differently, that's their choice.

It means what it means to me, regardless of what it may have once meant, still means, doesn't mean anymore.

Happy Solstice to you all regardless of your beliefs :hug:

Love and hugs

Jo

XxXx

(((((((((((((Jo))))))))))))))))))))) I've been to Stonehenge too.. what a magnificent experience that was! Most all my spiritual leanings/knowing is based on experiential events, not on what I read in books or what another has experienced. I find the path to God to be an inward one, and very, very individual :smile:

LightFilledHeart
21-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Solstice means a few things to many cultures all over the world. It is not a solely Pagan thing.

Correct :smile: