PDA

View Full Version : Which comes first?

jackie-b
19-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Does the fearful thought precede the physical manifestation or is it the other way around? Or a mixture of the two?

Every time I get a cold or a cough, my anxiety levels rocket. A part of me says, well it is only a cough/cold etc. so why are you feeling so anxious? But the emotional (?) part always goes into panic mode and the symptoms of this are horrific...flight or fight etc. I fear I may choke or stop breathing or experience some other disastrous outcome. And this fear escalates.
Over the years I've panicked over other minor physical ailments...it's as if the fearful part of me attaches to any ailmen, and catastrophises.

I know that journalling would help me...years ago it took me to a very beautiful place within. But I can't seem to apply myself any more, which is ridiculous if it's helpful to me! I'm wondering if, subconsciously, I'm blocking my own way?

Anyway, back to my opening theme. I would love some input. Thank you.

Prokopton
19-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Your panic is clearly not simply the result of having a cold! A part of the subconscious seizes on the symptoms as a way to deal with other issues that are not being addressed.

If you found a way to address inner issues, then yes, it certainly would seem that you're "blocking your own way" by not using it. A part of you is plainly scared but you need some way to address that part rather than simply ignoring it. As well as journaling you could try other things... but yes, when you have a strong emotion of this kind signalling that something needs your attention, it is wise to heed the signal. :)

moke64916
19-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Fear does manifest. Any thought given emotion will manifest in my opinion. What I believe you are doing is fighting, or resisting. Try to practice the "flight" or surrender to what is. It will change it into peace. If you stay peaceful long enough, you'll eventually feel joyful, then after joy, pure love.

Rivendoah
19-06-2011, 02:37 PM
The physical is always made manifest by thought...

jackie-b
22-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Thank you for your really helpful posts.

It sometimes seems strange how various strands come together when you ask a question. I rarely watch films on television but I recorded The Secret Window at the weekend. I've been watching it in stages after work (it's a Stephen King and I really didn't want to watch it just before going to bed!) and I watched the last of it yesterday.

Its final twist was very relevant to my question...the main character, a writer, had created the antagonist in his mind, he was just a thought but we were led to believe throughout the film that he was real. And well, it got me thinking about the anxiety/panic that has "haunted" me for a number of years...I must have created this part of me in my mind. This was backed up by a random quote I found yesterday in Nisagadatta's I Am That.

Granted, I haven't yet restarted my journalling, I am merely noticing the answers, but, goodness, it's a revelation.

seeker2011
22-06-2011, 08:07 PM
It's a side effect of the other 'you/s' living in higher dimensions becoming aware of you. I have been feeling emotion and thought as tangible for a long time now, and it's difficult...but getting better as time goes on. I especially feel an almost undescribable 'something' in my upper left chest when I eat in the car! The car being my dream symbol of my body.