PDA

View Full Version : Weakening family bonds-what solutions?

supernova
15-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Today marriage rates are falling; and family bonds are weaning; divorce rates are unprecedentedly getting a high record. It seems all are suffering owing in part to the economic downturn and in some measure to the deteriorating value system. What could be the remedial measure? Is it thanks to un-spirituality?

Greenslade
15-06-2011, 08:27 AM
I think the remedial action would be to stop subscribing to a system that doesn't work any more. If my wife decided she was going to pack her bags and leave, I would wish her well. That isn't to say I want her to go, but if she believes she would be happier somewhere else or she would be unhappy staying then she'd have my blessings. Yes, we both signed that bit of paper and made the promise, but if two people are unhappy together when they could be happy apart? That bit of paper doesn't make sense any more. Shouldn't we be re-thinking what we put our values in? The same goes for family. Some families are happier apart and the bonds stronger, it's just the way it is. If they feel they have to stay together because it's the 'done thing' and what families do while any sense of family is being eroded doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If the value system doesn't work any more then isn't it time to re-evaluate it?

in progress
15-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Why not redefine what family means?