PDA

View Full Version : Tarot cards

bebelee
13-06-2011, 07:11 AM
I once heard that i shouldn't buy tarot cards for myself. Someone else should give them to me. Is this true?

Medium_Laura
13-06-2011, 11:48 AM
I buy them but I'll tell you that my gift decks read better. It's personal choice.

Neth Rana
21-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Interesting...I've never heard that. But now that I think about it, the deck my boyfriend bought for me reads better than the one I bought for myself.. Interesting!

bebelee
22-06-2011, 06:59 AM
hmm i wonder if i were to give someone the money to get them for me... I wonder if that would still work better than buying them myself.
I really would like some and want to get the best benefits out of them and that is the whole reason i don't own any.
I should just get some myself though, i feel bad for asking someone to go out and get them for me. Ohhh i don't know lol.

norseman
22-06-2011, 07:05 AM
I started reading with a Rider-Waite deck that I bought. Never really took to it. Then my daughter bought me the Sacred Circle as a birthday present and the connection was immediate. Coincidence ???? :wink:

psychoslice
22-06-2011, 07:11 AM
well i brought myself a pack of Tarots once, that night i thought that I would pick one card to see what sort of week i was going to have, the card that I picked was the card of death or change, as it is also read. the night after i was shot by some random shooter along the highway just out of town, well what a big change that was to the rest of my life. I ended up burning the cards when i recovered, so that's a little story for you to think about.

bebelee
22-06-2011, 07:26 AM
I just googled it :) My mother told me when i was younger and of recent that it is bad luck to buy your own and that they must be a gift.
I have been really scared to buy my own. I feel silly i didn't google this earlier lol. I'm going to buy myself some tomorrow now that the fear has just been swooshed away :)

Thanks for your input, one day i may get them as a gift and it would be interesting to see how they read different but as for now i'm quite excited i can finally own some :) yay!

bebelee
22-06-2011, 08:15 AM
well i brought myself a pack of Tarots once, that night i thought that I would pick one card to see what sort of week i was going to have, the card that I picked was the card of death or change, as it is also read. the night after i was shot by some random shooter along the highway just out of town, well what a big change that was to the rest of my life. I ended up burning the cards when i recovered, so that's a little story for you to think about.

Oh my goodness! :icon_eek: That definitely gives me something to think about!!

psychoslice
22-06-2011, 08:54 AM
Oh my goodness! :icon_eek: That definitely gives me something to think about!!
But I also have to add, in those days i was pretty well ignorant about a lot of things such as Tarots, now that i have realized that there is no power than what i already have, I have no fear in buying my own deck, I have since the shooting brought about three decks with no problems at all, just realize that nothing can hurt you if you don't allow it.

bebelee
22-06-2011, 10:38 AM
My mum came up to my sister & i when we were 7 and 9 years old telling us that her tarot cards told her she was going to die that day. No wonder i have been so fearful! Back then i just knew 'something' but reality has shaped me, im just finding my way (i have a strong as intuition that i never really listened to, just starting now). Sorry i probably make no sense, i guess im trying to think out loud.
I will be buying a deck :)

psychoslice - thanks for adding that last post. It makes perfect sense to me

Medium_Laura
22-06-2011, 12:39 PM
He's right! :) Things only have the power we give them :)

bebelee
22-06-2011, 01:58 PM
So very true :)

Neth Rana
22-06-2011, 10:59 PM
Which deck are you gonna get bebelee??? :D

daisy
22-06-2011, 11:34 PM
I once heard that i shouldn't buy tarot cards for myself. Someone else should give them to me. Is this true?

I think if you choose to believe that, it will make it true.

I've known people throw cards in the bin because they were told it was unlucky to keep them in the house:icon_eek: what a waste, wish they'd told me before they threw them out!

Also about second hand cards, some people believe you should be the only person to ever handle your decks from new so second hand ones are a no no, well most of mine are second hand and cards i've bought myself and i've had no problems.:smile:

bebelee
25-06-2011, 08:20 AM
I think if you choose to believe that, it will make it true.

That's what i have been thinking :)

Neth Rana, i have no idea what cards to get :confused: so if you or anyone else has any suggestions that would be fantastic.

I went to the place i was going to originally get them from the other day but because they are closing down most of their stock was gone including all of their tarot cards.
I'll be getting them online now i think but i have been a bit puzzled as to which ones i will get. There are so many!!

Medium_Laura
25-06-2011, 01:21 PM
It really depends on what imagery speaks to you. Go to google and put in
say The 4 of cups - click on IMAGES in the upper tab. and then start looking.

Find one that just jumps out and tells a story. Then when it does you can post it (if you can't find the name of the deck) and someone here will probably know it :)

bebelee
25-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you Laura. I will do just that

LightFilledHeart
25-06-2011, 03:00 PM
There are many beautiful decks, and I admire their artistry, but I find the Ryder/Waite deck (the original Tarot deck with the full color images) to be the most pure and archtypal in its symbolism and thus the most succinct and powerful to read.

norseman
25-06-2011, 03:31 PM
bebelee, look in www.aeclectictarot.com
Zillions of decks to look at :D

norseman
25-06-2011, 03:36 PM
There are many beautiful decks, and I admire their artistry, but I find the Ryder/Waite deck (the original Tarot deck with the full color images) to be the most pure and archtypal in its symbolism and thus the most succinct and powerful to read.
Let me show you my "pin-up" from Sacred Circle. So much symbolism is this, far in excess of Rider-Waite. :D
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk267/norseman_photo/Tarot%20cards/fa9ab3c1.jpg (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fi282.photobucket.com%2 Falbums%2Fkk267%2Fnorseman_photo%2FTarot%2520cards %2Ffa9ab3c1.jpg)
So much to see and understand. Glastonbury, Arthurian legend, etc.

She is the Grail Maiden and carries the Chalice of Enlightenment.

bebelee
27-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Thank you all very much for the links & idea's on how to find a great deck.

After a good look the ones that stood out most were White Cats & Gilded.

I am leaning more towards Gilded. The depth and color appeal to me, just beautiful.

Medium_Laura
27-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Thank you all very much for the links & idea's on how to find a great deck.

After a good look the ones that stood out most were White Cats & Gilded.

I am leaning more towards Gilded. The depth and color appeal to me, just beautiful.

I own Gilded and it's an amazing deck :) The cats one, I don't know much about. I tend to steer away from "theme" decks.

yinepu
27-06-2011, 03:25 PM
ive had waite rider for years and they were not bought for me, but instead a woman at a holistic shop said i should buy tarots and pointed out the pack.

Loved em, but many moons ago i bought the druid deck, anyhoo ive never been able to read them , they are big bulky and not my cup of tea.... infact i thought they were dark and horrible.... but i just had my cards read by a proffesional , and his cards reminded me of another pack i lost years ago..... so i pulled out the druids and weirdly im loving them , they are offerering me loads of insight.

Enjoy your journey , dont try to hard , just close your eyes , deep breathes and see what comes to you, look forward to hearing about your journey.

Bev
29-06-2011, 07:56 AM
ummmmm sorry i will not be ruled by what others say......i read the tarot and i am the proud owner of many packs as i collect them as well.The one i work with i chose and purchased.I believe there is that many cards out there that to be drawn to a particular one is the best way to go.I know if i sent my friends out to buy one for me i would end up with something i didnt like.BUT thats just me........do what feels right not what someone tells ya....good luck with your search:cool:

AngelicOrin
29-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I think everyone is different.

I have to be drawn to the deck for me to buy them. :)

bebelee
29-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Looking at how many there are, there are quite a few that don't appeal to me and some are kind of scary looking to me too so buying ones own deck seems to be a good idea.

I've been thinking i'd much rather buy them in a shop rather than online. Does anyone think it makes a difference, like maybe you would get better drawn to ones in a store?

eyalec
29-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I bought them myself, and it works fantastically.

Medium_Laura
29-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Most shops only have the box (plastic wrapped) so you can't "handle" the deck before you buy them. I think you'll get a better look at cards online. As far as where to buy them, your choice. I always find that online is better unless I want them immediately. Amazon sells tons of decks and quick shipping. :)