PDA

View Full Version : the difference between "Who I Am" & "What I Am".

Honza
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I AM seems to describe existence as a "what" rather than a "who". Existence is described as pure "awareness". Awareness is a "thing", it is not a person.

Pure consciousness is a "thing" too. There is no-body there. Just the consciousness. You can have pure consciousness and no person, or personality.

God on the other hand is "somebody". He is a "who". An entity. A PERSON! That is one reason why I believe in God. Because He has character. He has person like characteristics. Whereas I AM does not.

Squatchit
12-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Hiya Jan :hug3:

Your thread title caught my eye.

Only last night I decided to ask a dream guide "who am I". Then I thought maybe it should be "what am I". I mused for a while and thought "what am I" would be more interesting. Then I thought how selfish to ask all about me! :smile:

As it happened, I didn't get to meet the guide. Instead I found myself in Italy drinking coffee/water and eating croissants. :rolleyes:

However, it is top of my list next time I meet him.

Sarah

Honza
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi Sarah,

Yup its a funny difference between the two. What Am I? is subtly different to Who Am I?

Like I said, God seems to be a WHO, while I AM seems to be a WHAT.

psychoslice
12-06-2011, 09:08 PM
God is not a description of any sorts, you cannot say that God is a thing or a who, by saying that you are separating what IS and reducing it to nothing more than a human concept, you may as well give up on trying to find what God is or isn't, all you can do is surrender to what IS, and carry on living but now without the silly questions that have only kept you in its prison.

surrendertotheflow
12-06-2011, 09:53 PM
God is the ultimate consciousness though, and you said that consciousness is what, not who. WHO is God or WHAT is God? God is everything. He is who, what, when, where, why, and how.

Xan
12-06-2011, 09:54 PM
In my view God is both What and Who... entirely abstract and intimately present... and so are we.

Xan