PDA

View Full Version : Jiddu Krishnamurti

tragblack
09-06-2011, 08:55 PM
I have been reading a lot of his work and it really gets my mind going. Is anybody else familiar with him?

Something he said has really radicalized my mind in a simple way: act on the fact. You must dig right down into your core to the very bottom of every thought to see the fact behind it, and then act on that. Cause and effect. Don't act on your preconceived notions, tradition, judgement, the past, religion, positive, negative-- just act on whatever is the truth of the matter, and avoid conflict-- because you are the world/ universe and the world/ universe is you. He was all about being able to avoid every inch of conflict in life, relationship, and self. Sometimes, I find him very hard to follow, but lately it is really sticking.

jackie-b
09-06-2011, 09:31 PM
I have been reading a lot of his work and it really gets my mind going. Is anybody else familiar with him?

Something he said has really radicalized my mind in a simple way: act on the fact. You must dig right down into your core to the very bottom of every thought to see the fact behind it, and then act on that. Cause and effect. Don't act on your preconceived notions, tradition, judgement, the past, religion, positive, negative-- just act on whatever is the truth of the matter, and avoid conflict-- because you are the world/ universe and the world/ universe is you. He was all about being able to avoid every inch of conflict in life, relationship, and self. Sometimes, I find him very hard to follow, but lately it is really sticking.

I'm familiar with his writing, tragblack...I've read a couple of his books over the years. In fact it was a short booklet, On Love, that was one of the pointers to the path I'm on, back in my 30s.

It may seem strange but I have to be in a certain frame of mind to read him now...if I'm really struggling, I usually avoid his writing. This may be because when I'm going through difficult times and clinging on to what I know, I can't cope with what I ultimately feel to be the truth of what he says.

Gem
10-06-2011, 06:20 AM

He's good. A very clever ****.

TzuJanLi
10-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Greetings..

If i could find a way to explain what it is that i understand from experiencing Life, it would sound as if J Krishnamurti and Alan Watts were merged into a single understanding.. JK peels away the layers of misunderstanding, conditioning, belief, and prejudice.. leaving you bare and exposed to the Cosmos.. Alan Watts picks up there and describes ways the Life can be experienced while still, bare, and exposed.. between them, JK and AW, is a beautifully expressed understanding of the potential we have as 'parts of a greater whole'.. they do not tell us how to live, they share their understandings that we might explore that "pathless land" with a clear vision and a gusto for the exploration, not concerned with what we find along the way..

Two excellent authors that strip away the cultural baggage and reveal the understandings Life as a beautiful mystery, and we as curious explorers.. the offer understandings as tools for the exploration, but leave the exploring up to us.. as i understand the 'it', the exploration looks for nothing and finds everything, the 'exploration' is the goal, the Pure Experience of living..

Be well..

Kismet
12-06-2011, 08:21 AM
A bit too cold for my taste... I have had nearly enough of Jed McKenna, Krishnamurti and the Buddhists...

Much prefer the love of the Vedanta currently.

psychoslice
12-06-2011, 09:02 AM
A bit too cold for my taste... I have had nearly enough of Jed McKenna, Krishnamurti and the Buddhists...

Krishnamurti takes everything away from you, leaving you with only Love, the Love is just there, as he say's, "does a flower need to let you know of its perfume".

supernova
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM

He is my all time favorite and I never got tired of him and always found him as a fountain of inspiration. What distinguished him from the rest of other authors is he is not infected with all kinds of religious or mythological trashes. He throughout all his famous discourses from 1929 through his famous speech Truth is a Pathless Land and through this speech he dissolved the Order of the Star and freed himself from the shackles of organization. He always spoke against organized religions. He claimed enlightenment can be achieved instantly once one is free of all thoughts and memories and live in the present.

He has a great impact on my thinking and I consider him the one and only spiritualist who can salvage humanity from the fetters of religious tyrannies. He is a matchless person

psychoslice
12-06-2011, 09:19 AM
Yes he is all that, but more than that he is just a simple man, he would tell you that himself.

supernova
12-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Yes he is all that, but more than that he is just a simple man, he would tell you that himself.

Yes my slice, he is simple of the simplest and that is why I always return to him when a tsunami of doubts blow away my hopes and rocks my belief in myself. I am really excited about the fact that many people, and you one of my co-readers got inspired by this liberated human.

Gem
12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Greetings..

If i could find a way to explain what it is that i understand from experiencing Life, it would sound as if J Krishnamurti and Alan Watts were merged into a single understanding.. JK peels away the layers of misunderstanding, conditioning, belief, and prejudice.. leaving you bare and exposed to the Cosmos.. Alan Watts picks up there and describes ways the Life can be experienced while still, bare, and exposed.. between them, JK and AW, is a beautifully expressed understanding of the potential we have as 'parts of a greater whole'.. they do not tell us how to live, they share their understandings that we might explore that "pathless land" with a clear vision and a gusto for the exploration, not concerned with what we find along the way..

Two excellent authors that strip away the cultural baggage and reveal the understandings Life as a beautiful mystery, and we as curious explorers.. the offer understandings as tools for the exploration, but leave the exploring up to us.. as i understand the 'it', the exploration looks for nothing and finds everything, the 'exploration' is the goal, the Pure Experience of living..

Be well..

As you know, I don't like spiritual writings, but Krishnamurti is not only a spiritual writer, he's great literature, and although I haven't read any Alan Watts I have watched him on u tube, and he's brilliantly articulate.

'The Truth is a Pathless Land' is a masterpiece, and you know such things have a lot of moving power... and we have to face it, that speech tears everything down and moves the Earth.

Yes, cold, the truth is not there to coddle the sentiments.

A Great thing I read very recently.

ON SILENCE ~ Aldous Huxley.

The twentieth century is, among other things, the Age of Noise. Physical noise, mental noise and noise of desire -- we hold history's record for all of them. And no wonder; for all the resources of our almost miraculous technology have been thrown into the current assault against silence. That most popular and influential of all recent inventions, the radio is nothing but a conduit through which pre-fabricated din can flow into our homes. And this din goes far deeper, of course, than the eardrums. It penetrates the mind, filling it with a babel of distractions, blasts of corybantic or sentimental music, continually repeated doses of drama that bring no catharsis, but usually create a craving for daily or even hourly emotional enemas. And where, as in most countries, the broadcasting stations support themselves by selling time to advertisers, the noise is carried from the ear, through the realms of phantasy, knowledge and feeling to the ego's core of wish and desire. Spoken or printed, broadcast over the ether or on wood-pulp, all advertising copy has but one purpose -- to prevent the will from ever achieving silence. Desirelessness is the condition of deliverance and illumination. The condition of an expanding and technologically progressive system of mass production is universal craving. Advertising is the organized effort to extend and intensify the workings of that force, which (as all the saints and teachers of all the higher religions have always taught) is the principal cause of suffering and wrong-doing and the greatest obstacle between the human soul and its Divine Ground. — from Silence, Liberty, and Peace (1946)

tragblack
13-06-2011, 07:28 PM
...[On Love]... was one of the pointers to the path I'm on...

I'll have to read it. Most of his stuff is online.

It may seem strange but I have to be in a certain frame of mind to read him now...if I'm really struggling, I usually avoid his writing. This may be because when I'm going through difficult times and clinging on to what I know, I can't cope with what I ultimately feel to be the truth of what he says.

That doesn't sound strange at all, I feel exactly the same way, sometimes. He comes across as cold in these times, but then I return to him when more I am more relaxed and realize that my beliefs are what I cling to to make me less afraid, and he was right.

He's good. A very clever ****.

Great way to describe him.

I was thinking this exactly while taking a shower yesterday. When I read or listen to Watts, Krishnamurti is also going to be pondered alongside. It's a bit like bread and butter.

I've gone in reverse-- I moved from a more Indian-style to Buddhist. But I am always moving.

Krishnamurti takes everything away from you, leaving you with only Love, the Love is just there, as he say's, "does a flower need to let you know of its perfume".

This is very true. Whatever coldness is perceived from Krishnamurti, it is really just a belief breaking down, barking from inside at you. At least, this is what I've started seeing in myself as I read him.

SerpentQueen
25-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I discovered UG Krishnamurti before Jiddu Krishnamurti. UG is best absorbed by watching him on video. He's like a knife that will cut away everything.

Around the same time, I also discovered Anthony De Mello. His work appeals to me because I come from a primarily Christian background. Even if I haven't been a practicing Christian for years and years, it still has deep influences. De Mello was a priest who spent lots of time with the Buddhists. He did a great job reinterpreting the words of Jesus in that light - reconciling East with West.