PDA

View Full Version : Understanding "the now"

Sungirl
04-06-2011, 05:32 PM
I confess, I started to read The Power of Now and really struggled with the writing style... but I read enough to understand a basic concept of what he was trying to get across... that if we experience the now based only on past experience and future worries then we will often find the now is hard to handle. If we can shed those and just be in the now we will find it is actually ok.

But...... at the moment I am exhausted and a little emotionally battered from something that happened yesterday.

Because of memories of the past I know that in time I will get over this. I can look to the future and have hope and faith that I will be fine.

So how does this fit in with the now... now I feel like poo, not because of memories of yesterday, just because it took a lot out of me. So if I stayed in the now I would believe that I will continue to feel like poo.

Can someone explain?

Emmalevine
04-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi Tilia

Being in the Now means literally that - Now. While you're walking the dog, washing the dishes, eating your dinner, meditating, reading...or even just sitting, problems don't come into it.

If you are feeling like poo it means you are still caught up in the past. If you bring your mind totally into the present the memories will have no relevance and all you will feel is inner peace.

Focus entirely on your present moment experience...even if it is changing the bed linen. Notice what you're doing...totally experience it. That is the Now. How do you feel? If you feel awful, you're not focussing.

I realise it is much easier in theory but once it is understood and experienced it actually becomes a very simple practice. Few of us can master this day in and day out but gradually, bit by bit, we can draw our minds to living in the moment.

Sungirl
04-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Hi Starbuck, thank you for answering, it is something to think about...

but...

does being in the now stop me feeling exhausted? Honestly, I am completely drained. I can sit here, concentrate totally on typing this but I can feel my arms are tired, my head is hurting, my eyes are sore. I feel numb in my spirit. If I take away the connection from the past, I still have the physical sensations that my body is experiencing.

Without the knowledge that it will pass I could believe that every now will be like this. I guess staying in the now would mean I would not care whether this passes or not.... yes? no?

Emmalevine
04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I think the Now is about experiencing what Is...

If you're exhausted it's about being with that experience. It doesn't take it away by any means, but you sort of develop a distance from it because you accept it as part of what is happening for you. I have a chronic illness which throws a variety of symptoms at me, but in the now it's just as it is, and I try and accept the pain (easier said than done). When my muscles hurt, I stay with that experience. I try not to think about it or give it a 'story' like "This is the fifth day my legs have hurt" or "My life is awful" I just accept the pain, as it is, today.

I hope that makes some sort of sense. Yes I do think being in the Now is about accepting what is right now and not worrying about the future. I try to do this because who knows the future. Really, the Now is all there is.

Emmalevine
04-06-2011, 08:29 PM
P.S When grief is emerging it is important to work with that and sometimes that involves looking at past memories etc. I've had to do it. But the most productive way to heal is to bring attention back to what your body mind and soul are experiencing right now and bring it all back to the present... It's not always possible to find inner peace when there are emotions clambering to be worked through.

aser's homie
04-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Living in the now is an attitude sorting out..

Sometimes people work with others in a need for refresher in the way they express to others, that is common cause people keep their archives of condolesences they think are hits to the lifetime a hold. Sometimes people give each other emotional thumb tacks in where they step on and keep remembering and that affects the rough way all the way to the IQ to all the way down to the way people feel and that can be challenging...

To live in the now, the here and now oneself must be an evolved trainee of the self and to applacate 'egos/rough-bemusings' and get a sense that oneself has a feel that there is a connection between the self and the higher power and that nothing here in this life or anywhere else can disallow that.

Ok?

Sungirl
04-06-2011, 09:32 PM
hi

thanks for the responses.. something to ponder..... hmmmm

psychoslice
04-06-2011, 10:06 PM
In truth there isn't even the now, to say that there is a now is to say that there is an after, drop both and just be, there you see now i have created a be, or is that a not to be, that is the question lol.

zipzip
04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
my understanding of the "Now" is just seeing what you have around you right now and not thinking of the past or future.

zipzip

Prokopton
04-06-2011, 11:10 PM
does being in the now stop me feeling exhausted?

No it doesn't. This is why I recommend doing energy work, something Tolle doesn't know very much about. It can keep you on an even keel, even out such difficulties. It can also increase perception of spiritual realities of course, but you don't need to take it that far in order to get some benefit from it. I think various forms of Taoist energy work do an excellent job.

Lisa
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM
"THE ETERNAL PRESENT IS THE SPACE WITHIN WHICH YOUR WHOLE LIFE UNFOLDS. IT IS THE ONE FACTOR THAT REMAINS CONSTANT. LIFE IS NOW.

THERE WAS NEVER A TIME WHEN YOU LIFE WAS NOT NOW. NOR WILL THERE EVER BE.

SECONDLY THE NOW IS THE ONLY POINT THAT CAN TAKE YOU BEYOND THE LIMITED CONFINES OF THE MIND.

IT IS YOUR ONLY POINT OF ACCESS INTO THE TIMELESS AND FORMLESS REALM OF BEING.

Nothing Exists Outside The Now

THE MIND CANNOT UNDERSTAND THIS.

ONLY YOU CAN.

PLEASE JUST LISTEN.

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED, DONE, THOUGHT OR FELT ABOUT ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE NOW?

DO YOU THINK YOU EVER WILL?

IS IT POSSIBLE FOR ANYTHING TO HAPPEN OR BE OUTSIDE THE NOW?

THE ANSWER IS OBVIOUS, IS IT NOT?

NOTHING EVER HAPPENED IN THE PAST. IT HAPPENED IN THE NOW.

NOTHING WILL EVER HAPPEN IN THE FUTURE. IT WILL HAPPEN IN THE NOW.

WHAT YOU THINK OF AS THE PAST IS A MEMORY TRACE, STORED IN THE MIND OF A FORMER NOW. WHEN YOU REMEMBER THE PAST YOU REACITVATE A MEMORY TRACE- AND YOU DO SO NOW.

THE FUTURE IS AN IMAGED NOW, A PROJECTION OF THE MIND. WHEN THE FUTURE COMES IT COMES AS THE NOW. WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE, YOU DO IT NOW.

PAST AND FUTURE OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO REALITY OF THEIR OWN.

JUST AS THE MOON HAS NO LIGHT OF ITS OWN, BUT CAN ONLY REFLECT THE LIGHT OF THE SUN, SO OUR PAST AND FUTURE ONLY PALE REFLECTIONS OF THE LIGHT, POWER AND REALITY OF HE ETERNAL PRESENT. THEIR REALITY IS BORROWED FROM THE NOW.

THE ESSENCE OF WHAT I AM SAYING HERE CANNOT BE UNDERSTOOD BY THE MIND. THE MOMENT YOU GRASP IT THERE IS A SHIFT IN CONSCOUSNESSS FROM MIND TO BEING, FROM TIME TO PRESENSE. SUDDENLY EVERYTHING FEELS ALIVE, RADIATES ENERGY, EMANATES BEING." Tolle.

Flora
05-06-2011, 04:37 PM
So how does this fit in with the now... now I feel like poo, not because of memories of yesterday, just because it took a lot out of me. So if I stayed in the now I would believe that I will continue to feel like poo.

When you really feel what there is to feel, the feeling gets free, it will be expressed and will not burden you anymore.

A thing I learned: try to feel your emotional pain without thinking of the persons involved in it. Always when I do this, the pain just disappears. It's gone, because you feel the pain as it is, without the people involved i.e. you don't dissolve it, you just feel it.

Another thing you can do to stay in "the now" is to let love flow into it. Whatever you feel or where ever you are, just think about letting love flow there. You don't need to know how to do this exactly, just decide to do it.
Let love flow in every situation and in every emotion, no matter how it feels.

cheers,
Flora

Xan
06-06-2011, 04:03 AM
tilia... Here's a simple version of Tolle's teaching about being present:

When we resist what we're experiencing, trying Not to feel what we feel, things get worse, more intense and conflicted. We're wanting to go back to an earlier time or a future one when we don't feel that way.

Instead, breathe down in your belly and let yourself accept whatever you are feeling right now... just accepting it all... and letting go with each breath.

By accepting this moment as it is we are more present. This is our real power: Choosing to accept, then gently choosing to love.

Try it, you'll see.

Then we may even slip into the timelessness of peace, of pure being... aware in the Now that is beyond time and mind.

Xan

Gem
06-06-2011, 04:49 AM
I confess, I started to read The Power of Now and really struggled with the writing style... but I read enough to understand a basic concept of what he was trying to get across... that if we experience the now based only on past experience and future worries then we will often find the now is hard to handle. If we can shed those and just be in the now we will find it is actually ok.

But...... at the moment I am exhausted and a little emotionally battered from something that happened yesterday.

Because of memories of the past I know that in time I will get over this. I can look to the future and have hope and faith that I will be fine.

Can someone explain?

Sure you feel the way you do... people will pretend to explain it I guess, but so you feel this and think that... thats fine, I understand, same happens to me... so I hope you feel much better now.

LUVnLIGHT2U
06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I'm quite a fan of Tolle's work. It can be heavy reading but I think that is just his style, but his message is pretty simple really. It is as others have described, about being totally present, as problems cannot exist in this state. If issues arise while in this state, you are no longer present, you'll have moved into past / present thinking and you'll need to refocus yourself, generally by focusing on your breathing, much like you would during meditation. I'm no expert at it and I've found it certainly takes some practice but it is totally worth it. The results are excellent. Good luck.

athribiristan
06-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Hi Starbuck, thank you for answering, it is something to think about...

but...

does being in the now stop me feeling exhausted?

No. If you feel exhausted, rest. If you are hungry, eat. Being in the now means dealing with what you feel RIGHT NOW. Do not think about why you are tired or that you will eventually be not tired. Just be tired and deal with that. Get some sleep, drink some water, maybe meditate a little.

Honestly, I am completely drained. I can sit here, concentrate totally on typing this but I can feel my arms are tired, my head is hurting, my eyes are sore. I feel numb in my spirit. If I take away the connection from the past, I still have the physical sensations that my body is experiencing.

Without the knowledge that it will pass I could believe that every now will be like this. I guess staying in the now would mean I would not care whether this passes or not.... yes? no?

This is different than being in the now. You are talking about acceptance; allowing all to simply be. Very different concept. Living in the now does not necessarily encompass acceptance. One can live in the now and still be obsessed with imposing one's will IN THE NOW.

In short I would say that visiting the past and projecting into the future are not bad things. Both places have much to offer us. Living in the now means that we go there consciously instead of finding ourselves there at random times.

astroboy
06-06-2011, 07:42 PM

Can someone explain?

Let me help you here, Tilia.

What exists is only NOW. Yesterday and tomorrow do not exist in reality. If you have memories of the past, you can only replay your memory 'disk' right NOW. If you're planning about tomorrow, you can only do the planning at the present time, NOW.

Hope this has helped you.

Xan
07-06-2011, 03:25 AM
For those who want more clarity than Tolle's "Power of Now", I recommend two small books from him: ""Practicing the Power of Now" and my personal favorite, "Stillness Speaks".

Xan

LUVnLIGHT2U
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Both excellent books Xan.

Medium_Laura
07-06-2011, 12:58 PM
love "Stillness speaks" !!

seeker2011
09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
PAST AND FUTURE OBVIOUSLY HAVE NO REALITY OF THEIR OWN. ???

I submit that past, future and now are all equally real.
Have you never had a precognition experience? How could you be aware of anything that did not exist?
Sure, nothing ever happened except during it's "now". But if the future is not existing someway at this moment, how could you be aware of an event that hasn't happened yet? Hasn't had it's 'now' yet?

I think what Tolle is trying to tell us about is the mind's preoccupation with anything and everything irrational. The emotions are there also.
What is fear concerning? Something that is not happening now. When that thing happens you might feel anger or pain or happiness, but I submit that no one has ever been afraid of anything happening now.....only what might happen next.
I think he's trying to recommend we spend some time "out of mind" and isn't that a contradiction?

Xan
09-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Past and future exist only in the mind... memory and anticipation.
Psychic predictions are projections of what will probably will result for the momentum going on now.

Tolle is recommending that we stop trying to figure it all out
and learn to simply keep our attention in this moment where Life is happening,
beyond time and mind.

Conscious breathing helps with this Now focus.

Xan

seeker2011
09-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Xan,
I said "precognition experience" not psychic prediction.
I have seen things before they happened, exactly as they did happen,
later.
That is awareness of something that did not happen yet.
That proves the future exists in some way, some how, some where, because you cannot be aware of anything that does not exist.

If past and future only exist in the mind, then so does "now".
Tolle, from what i"ve read of him, is merely reiterating that which was already written hundreds and in some cases thousands of years ago. Which is probably helpful for some people. So good. But he isn't defining truth or reality.

Xan
09-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Yes of course, seeker... Many spiritual teachings have emphasized that to know the truth of ourselves we must keep our attention in this present moment. Nothing new there, but modernized language and popularity help get the message out.

The Now that Tolle is pointing toward, and I am too, is not in sequential time, but in the timelessness of existence beyond time and space. By paying more attention to what's going on within and all around us this moment we may slip into awareness in the eternal Now that is beyond the mind. This silent open space is our true spiritual nature.

Xan

seeker2011
09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I pretty much agree with that, but i'm driven back to the original question of this thread, and also beginning to understand what these people mean by "forgetting time" and being 'now' oriented. I think it merely tries to point us away from judging the present by the yardstick of past experience? Maybe,
Sequential time, as in "clock time", is useful for worldly pursuits, but hardly useful for contemplating the infinite possibilities of consciousness,
eh?
The whole difficulty as I see it, is in trying to use the mind to discern what reality is revealed by expanded consciousness. That is, when we begin to become aware of things higher than Earthly, we naturally use our experience to try to make sense of it. We use past as a ruler to measure now against. Then we get mixed up. We begin to mix worldly with spiritual, because we really cant do anything else. We have developed our consciousness as humans living in matter, the only focal point of consciousness we know how to use is the one we developed as humans. AS we begin to become transcendent humans, we must learn to stretch the focal point of consciousness into the spiritual realm of existence. While we are tethered to matter, I think it's unavoidable to use matter to translate what we are aware of into knowledge. It is rather illogical i guess, but it's like using algebra to try to understand calculus....even if it's the only tool we have, it has to be fraught with mistake after mistake until we finally begin to be able to think in terms of calculus. It's how we learn, and it is very slow.

So, they say "dont get caught up in time references to try to explain the infinite. Time is irrelevant to infinity." Duh. But how?
Well that happens with experience and intention and patience.
"Live now, not past or future", that's just a misdirection ploy to get us to think, and then they say the mind (that thinking thing) is what binds us to time. A whole lot of that is not useful or enlightening....but it gets us trying. Which I guess is what we need to do. Eh?

Xan
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
seeker2011: ... i'm driven back to the original question of this thread, and also beginning to understand what these people mean by "forgetting time" and being 'now' oriented. I think it merely tries to point us away from judging the present by the yardstick of past experience? Maybe,

Yes, that's one benefit. To let the present be as it is, without referencing the past which diminishes our capacity for enjoying and for love.

The whole difficulty as I see it, is in trying to use the mind to discern what reality is revealed by expanded consciousness.... That is, when we begin to become aware of things higher than Earthly, we naturally use our experience to try to make sense of it.

Yes, I agree. We do tend to try to explain what is beyond this world in terms of this world... and limit our experience by doing so.

Then we get mixed up. We begin to mix worldly with spiritual, because we really cant do anything else.

The anything else we really can do is to recognize we don't really know what the spiritual means in worldly terms... and begin to let go into 'the unknown'. We humans have fear of what we don't know or can't define, but we can learn to be comfortable with it. In fact, I enjoy it very much for the freedom it gives me.

So, they say "dont get caught up in time references to try to explain the infinite. Time is irrelevant to infinity." Duh. But how?

How? By coming to the point of realizing we are trapped in our mind's references - time, conditioning, beliefs, self-identity - and learning to let them go.

"Live now, not past or future", that's just a misdirection ploy to get us to think, and then they say the mind (that thinking thing) is what binds us to time. A whole lot of that is not useful or enlightening....but it gets us trying. Which I guess is what we need to do. Eh?

I say the opposite, seeker. The redirection is to get us less involved with the thinking mind and more present in non-conceptual experiencing. It's to get us into giving up trying so we may become aware in the effortlessness of Being.

Xan

blackraven
10-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Past and future exist only in the mind... memory and anticipation.
Psychic predictions are projections of what will probably will result for the momentum going on now.

Tolle is recommending that we stop trying to figure it all out
and learn to simply keep our attention in this moment where Life is happening,
beyond time and mind.

Conscious breathing helps with this Now focus.

Xan

Xan - I agree with what Tolle says about the past and future existing only in the mind...memory and anticipation (in theory). However, there is a constant tug-of-war going on inside some of us baby boomers where we try to live in the present (being a grounded spiritual people) and the flip side of the coin whereas the infomercials bombart us with all the reasons we should be planning ahead for our futures, not to mention worrying us half to death about the ailments to come with the aging process. It's a fear-induced society we live in. "The Power of Now" is indeed a good read for all, but can it really be applied in every day life? I try as hard as I can, like tilia, but even the past has greatly impacted my present. I'm all for not worrying about what will happen tomorrow, but I'm not for suffering the consequences of bad management of life. I also have learned from my mistakes and don't want to repeat any of them so I appreciate them being in my conscious awareness at all times no matter how painful they are.

Blackraven

Air Spirit
10-06-2011, 02:21 AM
Another way to define the now is simply the present. I have a very strong connection to the present, and often am unable to enter the future.

Another way to look at is, is indulging the present in mind, body and spirit.

TzuJanLi
10-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Greetings..

Xan,
I said "precognition experience" not psychic prediction.
I have seen things before they happened, exactly as they did happen,
later.
That is awareness of something that did not happen yet.
That proves the future exists in some way, some how, some where, because you cannot be aware of anything that does not exist.

If past and future only exist in the mind, then so does "now".
Tolle, from what i"ve read of him, is merely reiterating that which was already written hundreds and in some cases thousands of years ago. Which is probably helpful for some people. So good. But he isn't defining truth or reality.
There are no irrefutable instances of precognition.. even the relatively short reading of Wikipedia's Precognition entry is sufficient to explain the various way people come to 'believe' in precognition.. I am very interested in the energetic implications of precognition, and the implications related to space/time, but.. i am bound by such simple measures as common-sense, to accept things as they are.. affording wishfull thinking to an unconscious projection of that thought into the future so that i might discover it and claim precognition..

There is a bit more to reality that is pushed aside by wishful thinking, than the believers of precognition would be willing to understand.. by attaching to notions like precognition, the actual processes of physics that could be employed to have such an appearance are pushed further away.. playing word-games with concepts like 'now', as in "now is all there is", is literally true, but.. practically misapplied to create illusions that separate people from reality..

Be well..

Xan
10-06-2011, 04:09 AM
Xan - I agree with what Tolle says about the past and future existing only in the mind...memory and anticipation (in theory). However, there is a constant tug-of-war going on inside some of us baby boomers where we try to live in the present (being a grounded spiritual people) and the flip side of the coin whereas the infomercials bombart us with all the reasons we should be planning ahead for our futures, not to mention worrying us half to death about the ailments to come with the aging process. It's a fear-induced society we live in. "The Power of Now" is indeed a good read for all, but can it really be applied in every day life? I try as hard as I can, like tilia, but even the past has greatly impacted my present. I'm all for not worrying about what will happen tomorrow, but I'm not for suffering the consequences of bad management of life. I also have learned from my mistakes and don't want to repeat any of them so I appreciate them being in my conscious awareness at all times no matter how painful they are.
Yes Blackraven... our past conditioning and society all around us are always pulling us into worry and planning for the future. It's a bad habit humans tend to have and even consider normal. It takes a lot of determination to get detached enough from all that to really be present. But the rewards are great.

It's my own experience that lets me say to you, "Yes being present can be applied in daily life with many practical benefits." The more we are here, now, the more clearly we think, solve problems more easily, change negative patterns more quickly, get into a natural flow with frequent happy 'coincidences'. We're more open in relationships with others, feel more love and act with more kindness, we develop trust in life itself, have more appreciation and enjoyment... and the list goes on.

Being present is actually our natural state, like the rest of nature, and the opportunity is here to be restored. It does take practice... letting go of our mind habits that pull us away from Now into over-involvement with thinking and reactivity. I say... it is so much worth the effort.

Xan