PDA

View Full Version : % of Fundamentalists

ete233
03-06-2011, 05:03 PM
What % of people do you think out of all of Christianity actually believe that existence was made in 6 days, God flooded the world, God in flesh and promises of a coming apocalypse, etc, etc. You've got to be kidding if you believe this stuff. Maybe I'm taking metaphors to seriously.. The bible literally I mean..

And what percent just mindlessly follow the doctrines. Believing but, not showing their Love, or going to Church. Because, I know a lot like this. And I know some fundamentalists that 'found' Christ. How do you find Christ? I'm trying to understand religions and why people have faith in basically objective ideas.

Rivendoah
03-06-2011, 05:32 PM
What % of people do you think out of all of Christianity actually believe that existence was made in 6 days, God flooded the world, God in flesh and promises of a coming apocalypse, etc, etc. You've got to be kidding if you believe this stuff. Maybe I'm taking metaphors to seriously.. The bible literally I mean..

And what percent just mindlessly follow the doctrines. Believing but, not showing their Love, or going to Church. Because, I know a lot like this. And I know some fundamentalists that 'found' Christ. How do you find Christ? I'm trying to understand religions and why people have faith in basically objective ideas.

I grew up catholic... but I soon learned that you have to take religion with a grain of salt... and I include in that all arbitrary laws that man has created that he says come from god... I chose to believe that the bible should be viewed as parable... and that one should take the essence of it's teachings rather the it words as law or history...

I wish the percentage you spoke of above was small... however, i think it's more likely a higher number... prehaps as high as 25% of christians... which saddens me because I think they focus on all the wrong things...

Mind's Eye
03-06-2011, 06:06 PM
I know some fundamentalists that 'found' Christ. How do you find Christ? I'm trying to understand religions and why people have faith in basically objective ideas.

I can't speak for everybody, but I once looked under my bed and found Christ there. I heard he had been lost for a while and his father was looking for him. So I pulled the little guy out from under the bed and sent him home with a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. :angel8:

Inesophet
03-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Days as we (should) all know are in the bible very often a substitute for ages or seperate events.

The creation theory itself is sound if you look at it from a scientific point of view and compare what we know now.

First there was heaven and earth could mean the Laws of physics and of the beyond (afterlife).

Let there be light. Thats pretty obvious the big bang of course.

God saw the light was good and seperate it from the darkness. The "experiment" was a success and dark matter was introduced to shape the early universe (missing gravitation).

And so on. I mean its really simple to fill in the blanks with a simple understanding of science.

We are today intelligent enough to know that we evolved. Quantum theory and other things. The people 6000 years ago knew Jack about that kind of stuff. And if there would ever be a "scientificly accurate" bible we can be sure to NOT understand anything in a 1000 years. People are simply to Dumb. As a whole Yes we can accomplish alot but still the indiviual itself aint very smart and knows only what...well he knows.

The median life expectancy in that time was around 25 years if your lucky. Aint much time to learn. So what can you do then put complicated things into simple terms. That are easily understood and are easily spread.

Still i doubt the origin of the bible. And do not feel it has alot of divinity inside. However, the accuracy of some parts are quite stunning.

As to the question. I believe no one knows the answer for sure. The Radical Christians and [Fill with favorite dogma] is as wrong as the scientific community who just have begun to scratch the surface of a huge mountain of wisdom.

Its easy to deny things. Its easy to deny evolution or creation. Still both do not exclude each other.

That is at least my personal opinion on this topic

Perspective
03-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I can't speak for everybody, but I once looked under my bed and found Christ there. I heard he had been lost for a while and his father was looking for him. So I pulled the little guy out from under the bed and sent him home with a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. :angel8:Did you remember to pack some milk in a thermas? :smile:

At first, when I more fully realized that the bible is not literal (etc.) I wanted to tell everybody.
Now, I'm starting to be more careful, because I realize how painful it can be for old beliefs to die, especially if they're not ready yet, or if something more helpful isn't there to replace them. (Like the parable of the old & new wine bottles) Then again, who is ever ready for pain? Most try to avoid it like the plague!

Despite controversial biblical history & questionable traditional interpretation, I believe they (& many other sources) have pearls of wisdom, not to be tossed aside. It's a question of personally applying them... & since most are parables, it is easy to do with some intellect & intuition.
The most important thing to remember & what Jesus tried to encourage is... to look within ourselves for the kingdom of God, not externally.
"Create some quiet times, for God whispers & the world is loud."
That quite enables us to feel that sweet spiritual love... & that's the best replacement... & to get ready for the "new wine."

Lightspirit
03-06-2011, 10:16 PM

And what percent just mindlessly follow the doctrines. Believing but, not showing their Love, or going to Church. Because, I know a lot like this. And I know some fundamentalists that 'found' Christ. How do you find Christ? I'm trying to understand religions and why people have faith in basically objective ideas. I doubt anyone literally believes the world was created in 6 days. Most christians know the verses in Genesis you are talking about are poetic originally they were written more like poetry. They are not an encyclopedia but are to give us the idea of whats going on. Many writings in the bible are amazingly accurate with regard to events that happened and geographical locations. The main wealth in the bible is not the gleaning of the facts but more the wisdom of how to live your life more trouble free.

The bible contains stories of the lives of people wh lived before us. A wise person can read these stories and learn from the decisions good and bad and plan things in your life to avoid trouble. an even wiser man learns this and other writings as well. A not so wise one ridicules it all and decides it has no value.

the book of proberbs

He who finds a wife finds what is good., and receives favour from the Lord. (18:22)

It's better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife. (21:9)

A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day (27:15)

King solomon wrote those he had lots of wives
I suppose these days more politically correct you could replace wife with partner to get the same idea.

colossians

19 Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

20 Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

simple stuff to us but our kids dont know about it yet.

FInding Jesus- Is salvation and receiving the holy spirit into yourself. Its like a cleansing of the soul. Its when you believe jesus is the son of God who died in your place as an atonement for your sins. You accept you are a sinner before God and accepting Jesus into your life redeems you before God, its called grace. You cant live a perfect life without harming others so god Gave us jesus that if we believe and accept him we stand before God as though we are cleaned from all bad deeds God hates past and future that would seperate us from life with God. when you take this step the holy spirit enters you and that is an awesome experience. If you ever see a new christian on a high that is why. Its a sort of a high and is a lot of fun :)

sorry about the long post its a favorite subject lol

ete233
03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Well, I know the Bible is a big part that is responsible for what we are now. 2B+ people are Christians. What could be done at this moment that couldn't otherwise if the Bible never existed.

nightowl
03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Did you remember to pack some milk in a thermas? :smile:

At first, when I more fully realized that the bible is not literal (etc.) I wanted to tell everybody.
Now, I'm starting to be more careful, because I realize how painful it can be for old beliefs to die, especially if they're not ready yet, or if something more helpful isn't there to replace them. (Like the parable of the old & new wine bottles) Then again, who is ever ready for pain? Most try to avoid it like the plague!

Despite controversial biblical history & questionable traditional interpretation, I believe they (& many other sources) have pearls of wisdom, not to be tossed aside. It's a question of personally applying them... & since most are parables, it is easy to do with some intellect & intuition.
The most important thing to remember & what Jesus tried to encourage is... to look within ourselves for the kingdom of God, not externally.
"Create some quiet times, for God whispers & the world is loud."
That quite enables us to feel that sweet spiritual love... & that's the best replacement... & to get ready for the "new wine."

Nicely said Perspective,

There is much wisdom in this post. :smile:

nightowl

Lightspirit
04-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Well, I know the Bible is a big part that is responsible for what we are now. 2B+ people are Christians. What could be done at this moment that couldn't otherwise if the Bible never existed. Yay!!! You know it too :) we owe it much in our lives

Lightspirit
04-06-2011, 12:28 AM
I can't speak for everybody, but I once looked under my bed and found Christ there. I heard he had been lost for a while and his father was looking for him. So I pulled the little guy out from under the bed and sent him home with a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich. :angel8: Yay!!!!! you are Christ like already.. see how quick it works!

Matthew 10
40 “Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. 41 Whoever welcomes a prophet as a prophet will receive a prophet’s reward, and whoever welcomes a righteous person as a righteous person will receive a righteous person’s reward. 42 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”

theophilus
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I doubt anyone literally believes the world was created in 6 days.There are some of us who do. And contrary to what most people believe, scientists haven't proved that this belief is wrong. There are widely accepted scientific theories that contradict the Bible, but the evidence for them isn't as strong as is generally believed. It you are interested in finding out how much scientific evidence there is to support the literal interpretation of the Bible these sites will prove helpful:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.answersingenesis.o rg%2F)

http://scienceagainstevolution.org/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fscienceagainstevolutio n.org%2F)

http://trueorigin.org/ (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Ftrueorigin.org%2F)