PDA

View Full Version : How can being exposed to ppl that belittle me be good for me?

mysterious
28-05-2011, 06:36 PM
I am surrounded by people that often bring my self-esteem down. So with the whole "everything happens for a reason thing" I just wanna know how can this possibly help me or be good for me since I have not gotten any stronger out of this, since it has been going on for many years. In fact its had a negative effect on me - its made me even more sensitive emotionally and wary of the people/world and made me into a hermit.

e.g I helped a sibling out then they started taking down to me like I was stupid. Immediately after I felt blockage in my solar and heart chakra and it felt as if I did something bad and completely made my mood negative and it was hard to dispel that energy.

Silver
28-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I am surrounded by people that often bring my self-esteem down. So with the whole "everything happens for a reason thing" I just wanna know how can this possibly help me or be good for me since I have not gotten any stronger out of this, since it has been going on for many years. In fact its had a negative effect on me - its made me even more sensitive emotionally and wary of the people/world and made me into a hermit.

e.g I helped a sibling out then they started taking down to me like I was stupid. Immediately after I felt blockage in my solar and heart chakra and it felt as if I did something bad and completely made my mood negative and it was hard to dispel that energy.

It would help to know how you helped this sibling, financially or mental/emotionally or both. That is a sad type of thing that seems to happen a lot, imo it's a very psychologically and spiritually based thing...what needs to happen on your side of the equation is self-defense, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. Standing one's ground and stopping and thinking, getting in touch with your gut feelings and instincts about what goes on inside these people who tend to bring you down. Standing back and figuring that out can help a lot in knowing how to respond to them.

The best answer I can give to '...how can this possibly help me...' is that it gives you an opportunity to practice on studying and figuring people and their motivations and what goes on in their minds/hearts and responding safely and appropriately to them, which will surely come in handy for the rest of your life.

mysterious
28-05-2011, 07:06 PM
it gives you an opportunity to practice on studying and figuring people and their motivations and what goes on in their minds/hearts and responding safely and appropriately to them, which will surely come in handy for the rest of your life.

Don't want to sound rude but how will this help me? I have spent so much time caring what others do and being angered by peoples selfishness that its hasn't gotten me anywhere. I haven't focused on my self enough which is what I should be doing.

Kaere
28-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Perhaps that's what it's all teaching you - to be able to care for yourself as well as others. We're just as important as others in our lives, but sometimes we forget it.

It could simply be a matter of learning to keep that balance, how to be able to stand up for yourself, and create a life you enjoy. And also to remember that we can't control other people or fix their lives or problems - we can help of course but sometimes we need to learn to let go and let them mess it all up themselves.

There is nothing selfish about taking care of your own self and your own needs.

Topaz
28-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Mysterious this has been happening all through out my life . However when i do stand up for myself and say something, I am then told I am too over sensitive .

As for people mirroring us sometimes it's uncalled for . I came home Happy and straight away was put down by the people I live with :(

I am still trying to figure it out may be it is to do wit my belief system and my up bringing .
All the best x

I'm now in my pink bubble of light ( Protection ) and taking time out for me x

Silver
28-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Don't want to sound rude but how will this help me? I have spent so much time caring what others do and being angered by peoples selfishness that its hasn't gotten me anywhere. I haven't focused on my self enough which is what I should be doing.

I believe you're kinda missing the point~~~I'm suggesting you study and get more of a feel for what it is that motivates them so you know how to respond the best possible way for what is going on at any given moment / situation. You're so wound up you can't relax, even when you ask for help, you bat it out of the way out of just so much built up frustration without letting the ideas sit with you long enough to maybe get it, idk...I didn't say to 'care' for them, I said use your gut instincts to understand them more, and there's a lot of psychology to this study, kind of a dance. What I'm trying to suggest here is that through understanding and interpreting their behavior and words, you can be a lot more successful at 'negotiations'. I hope that makes sense to somebody. Maybe someone else will come along that has the right solution or words for you. Peace~*

innerlight
28-05-2011, 07:34 PM

There are plenty of lessons to be learned in such situations. For not just yourself but for those that are inflicting your pain and torment that you are feeling.

There are lessons of compassion for those that are harming you. Lessons of letting go. Letting go of what they say and do to you. For no matter what we do we can not change their actions, or words, only they van.

They harder lessons are for those that are doing the act. Lessons for them to learn what is the correct course of action. To continue that path, or to rise above it.

There are lessons in overcoming adversity, and suffering to being free and immersed in the world even though others can hurt you, repeatedly.

Lessons of unconditional love. Sympathy. Freedom.

I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg of things that can be learned in these shoes.

Internal Queries
28-05-2011, 07:39 PM
well, is there some reason you're forced to stay in their immediate company?

astroboy
28-05-2011, 07:40 PM
A little story may help us understand the deadly nature of slandering. Kabeer Sahib had a jealous neighbor, whose only pastime was to slander (Nindaa) Kabeer. One day the foolish slanderer died. People thought the news of the slanderer’s death must make Kabeer very happy. To the contrary, upon hearing the news, Kabeer Sahib became very sad. His devotees naturally inquired as to why he was sad instead of being happy now that his ardent slanderer is dead. Kabeer said “the reason I feel sad, now as my slanderer is gone, who will wash my sins off and take upon himself?”. According to the Gurbani (Sri Guru Granth Sahib, SGGS), there are countless such slanderers (Nindak) struggling in Maya (Mayaic consciousness).

Further reading: http://www.gurbani.org/gurblog/2009/12/25/kabeer-sahib-and-his-sladerer/

arive nan
28-05-2011, 07:43 PM
It isn't good for you. But if you aren't able to get away from the situation, you can find ways to cope with it so that it won't affect you as much. Learning those coping methods can be useful for the rest of your life, but it is the coping methods that are good for you, not the ill treatment. What you do to learn to cope is what you do to help yourself. That's you being helpful to yourself. Those who help you learn ways to cope by giving you useful ideas might help you. But talking down to people does not help them. Hurtful actions are hurtful and unhelpful.

I make this distinction because I have come across people who try to use the excuse that they are helping others by mistreating them. I don't know if you know people who try to do this, but I think it's worth mentioning because they can really be troublesome. Some find it comforting to believe that difficult situations are an opportunity for growth, and in that sense good for you. It can be helpful to see things that way for some people. But it doesn't work for everyone, and it is something that some hurtful people try to use to try to excuse their actions by turning it around and saying they are helping - when they're really just trying to hurt others without being aware that they are simply being hurtful. It is one of the down sides of the belief/philosophy.

If it helps you to believe that there is some higher purpose or reason for all this, that it is a learning opportunity, or something like that, then that can help you. But for some that belief doesn't help. It's not necessarily because there actually is some higher purpose you haven't figured out yet. It is a matter of belief and faith. There might not really be any higher purpose for all we can really know for fact. So if trying to believe in that just doesn't help, or it just doesn't help you at this point, it could be more beneficial to find a different belief or a way to cope that works better for you right now.

yes
28-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Something worthwhile requires effort. Rise to the challenge. You can be surrounded by people who attack you and come out of it stronger - you just haven't quite got there, yet. You don't need anyone else's approval: your self-esteem is intact. The bad behaviour of others, like those you are describing, lessens if you simultaneously ignore all negative comments whilst quietly try to work out their reasons for their chosen action. I think then you might find yourself feeling the greatest of compassion for them.

WonderLight
28-05-2011, 08:03 PM
It is probable that, as a child, you were hurt emotionally and this formed a trapped pattern of victimhood in you -- that is to say, subconsciously, you may believe yourself to be and expect to be victimized. The predator nature in others is drawn out by this magnetic pull of energy. My suggestion is to find someone who does energy work around releasing internally trapped life patterns. Once you no longer believe/expect yourself to be hurt, you will be able to maintain your personal integrity.
We all have people and circumstances that push our buttons. When we discover what these are, we then can engage in the process of disabling them. Not all things are "spiritual"; many are psychologically/emotionally programmed.

blessings of light to you

WonderLight

Trieah
28-05-2011, 08:05 PM
Well, I can most definitely understand what you've been going through. It's been that way for me, nearly all my life. And while I can't tell you what to do or how to deal with it, I can at least give you some examples as to how I deal with it. From there, you're free to figure out what works best for you.

One of the things I do, is look at the other person, and ask myself. Is that's the kind of person I want to be like? Do I want to display that same seemingly discourtesy to others? Are there any times when I actually have been that discourteous to others? If so, what was going on through my mind at the time? Was I too stressed over other things, and not realizing that my actions were causing the same kinds of situations to others, that I don't like happening to me? Where there underlying reasons why I purposely acted in that same manner? Was I judging someone too harshly without knowing the full details? Or was I pretty close to being right on the money, from my perception of a problem, and the person actually needed to experience that outburst, as some sort of wake up call for themselves?

And perhaps the more important questions, are the ones which I have to ask myself, if I truly did deserve to be treated that way.

There are actually a ton of things you could learn from those kinds of situations, instead of taking them so personal that it gets to the point to where they are so damaging. It gives you the opportunity to get to know yourself on a much deeper level. And by knowing yourself, and what you've felt, or were going through when you've done the same kinds of things to others, it's an extremely helpful tool, in gaging the character of others. Such as: was this person just having a bad day, like how I sometimes have a bad day? Or is this person just completely clueless as to the amount of negativity they spread?

The possibilities of what can actually be learned, are endless. And, it also helps to be able to release some of that pent up negative emotions that we carry around all the time, once we can finally realize just how similar or dissimilar we all really are.

I truly hope this has helped somewhat, in your effort to understand, and realize your own true self esteem :smile:

Oh, and if I may, I'd like to end with a quote that I've always found helpful, when I find myself too overwhelmed with self defeating, negative thoughts (mine and the ones being thrown at me).

"Change your attitude about the problem, and your perception of it will surly change as well."

Silver
28-05-2011, 08:23 PM
It is probable that, as a child, you were hurt emotionally and this formed a trapped pattern of victimhood in you -- that is to say, subconsciously, you may believe yourself to be and expect to be victimized.

Boy, howdy on that wonderlight, happens to so many people.

WonderLight
28-05-2011, 09:05 PM
yeah, common to almost all of us

arive nan
28-05-2011, 09:18 PM
I see people here implying to the OP that the behavior of the people who are mistreating her is something she's drawing out of them. I have met people who try to belittle everyone they interact with. No matter what kind of a person they are, or what they have done or said, or what their attitudes and beliefs are... they only try to belittle and disrespect all of them. What people do and say can only change the ways that they try to do this. My point is, nobody elicits this behavior from them and nothing they do can stop them from behaving this way. It is the way they are to everyone, regardless of anything they do or what they are like or what their attitudes are.

These kind of people serve as an example that the way people treat others is their choice. And that choice can have nothing at all to do with the people they are mistreating. It is possible that if mysterious learns to be immune to the way they treat her so that she no longer feels bothered or feels like a victim, they will still behave the same way towards her. I hope they won't, but they might. What they do and the way they treat people is their choice. They are responsible for choosing that.

They could choose to be kind instead. People can choose to be kind to anyone no matter what they believe or what attitude they have. They have the ability to choose that. If they choose to belittle people instead, they are responsible for making that choice and responsible for the things they do. I hope that they will learn to behave in a kinder manner, but there is no guarantee that they will even if mysterious learns how to be immune to their behavior and no longer feels hurt by it and even if the way she sees herself has no hint of "victim" in it. Their behavior might not change even if she does all those things because they have to choose to change their behavior. Other people can try to teach them, but they have to make the choice to try to learn that and change their behavior. Other people do not have control over that.

Trieah
28-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Yes, sadly enough, there are always going to be those kinds of people who just enjoy making others feel like ****. They're called bullies. And just because we learn how to deal with the situation, doesn't mean it will always make the bullies go away.

But, if one learns how to deal with this sort of thing in a more positive way, it can be used as a self empowerment tool. If a person can get to the point, to where they finally realize they don't deserve to be treated that way, and learns how to stand up and defend themselves, whether it be verbally or physically, it actually can make some of these bullies go away. Of course, that sounds much easier then it is to actually do, and it takes a lot of guts. But seeking out a more positive result, out of a negative situation, is still the turning point to getting over the mountain of being mistreated.

NightSpirit
29-05-2011, 12:08 AM
Since you've asked.....
I see a lot of great suggestions here and mine is very much the same as the others.

Its not that I'm unsympathetic towards how your feeling. Its difficult to climb back out of the depths once we've retreated away from our own rights. Somehow you've got to find a way to take the steps. It'll be hard at first and you're whole being will grate against it, but it has to be done to begin assisting yourself back into your own power.

Next time this happens, take the opportunity, muster your inner power and speak out from authority....I will not be spoken to that way. You do not have my permission to be rude. You will respect your elders. Until you can respect my rules of politeness, don't interact with me. This is my final word.....(an example only>>you can use your own words). But make sure your spoken word holds power and authority.

Sure they will arc up! You can expect that. They will try everything to regain their power over you back. Don't fall into the trap my dear. Hold your stance and no matter how you feel, keep at it. AFter a few times, it will become easier and easier for you and your voice and aura will grow stronger. You'll begin to project that power and trust me, they will feel the force of it and back off.

Once you've felt this, you won't go back to the victim space you once were in. You will carry that aura because you will now have control of it and walk with your head up and with confidence.

Do it girl! Just take the first step, no matter how hard it is. I did and my world totally flip-flopped for me. I'm no longer that victimised door-mat punching bag for others. Haven't been for a very long time. I found that power and now I demand respect.

Good luck

Silver
29-05-2011, 12:12 AM
First and foremost is your safety. Confrontation sounds nice, but that's why I suggested that you weigh and measure these people who are putting you down and making you feel awful. It can be a tricky spot to be in and wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. Perhaps the best thing is to find a way out, to live independently if at all possible, best solution, imho.

NightSpirit
29-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Just an added note here mysterious. I am currently working in aged care. You can imagine with the elderly...they are set in their ways and some are just old biddies who snap authority. I cant afford to allow them to take the upper hand and I have to draw upon my power to let them know it is not acceptable behaviour and we wont be spoken to that way. They pull their heads in soon enough when met with the same resistance. So it does work.

Cheers

NightSpirit
29-05-2011, 12:26 AM
First and foremost is your safety. Confrontation sounds nice, but that's why I suggested that you weigh and measure these people who are putting you down and making you feel awful. It can be a tricky spot to be in and wouldn't want anyone to get hurt. Perhaps the best thing is to find a way out, to live independently if at all possible, best solution, imho.

Of course Silvergirl. I didn't mention this because i assumed mysterious would take that into consideration, knowing her own details around this situation. It goes without saying, that if there's possible physical danger, then a different approach is needed. And if there is a danger there, then she needs to contact the authorities that help in these situations. I'm sure she would know what type of people she's dealing with and how far she can push it.

zipzip
29-05-2011, 12:34 AM
I find a lot of people in general are very rude and sarcastic. I come across them all the time. I have chosen to not let them get to me and so far, I am on the right path.

Your situation is more personal and it's probably because the other person feels they can get away with it (as you are nice and probably not saying anything) and it empowers them

So what can you do to take that empowerment off of them and back onto you? Well, either ignore them and not let it get to you, or stand up for yourself (without getting too confrontational) and /or try and avoid being around them as much.

Think about what all of the posters have written and feel it out. Whatever vibes with you is the right answer for you.

Good luck,

I know it's not easy ......

zipzip

Perspective
29-05-2011, 03:10 AM
Mysterious (I like your name! :smile:),
Sometimes we need to get away from people who bring us down, even if it's just a temporary break, to get refreshed & gain a new perspective.

Consider if you are somehow attracting disrespect by not respecting yourself. Start exploring your thoughts - get to know why you think the way you do.
Question "distorted thinking." I listed types of distorted thinking here...
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9422 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.spiritualforums.com %2525252Fvb%2525252Fshowthread.php%2525253Ft%25252 53D9422)

Remember your successes - keep an "Achievements Journal" - of big & little achievements... and also write about your goals.
Little by little, you will realize how to think better (maybe with your own personal affirmations)... & you'll learn to trust your thoughts & self-image over what others seem to tell you or how they treat you. Still consider others' perspectives, but get your SELF-esteem from yourSELF, not from others.

Trieah
29-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Question "distorted thinking." I listed types of distorted thinking here...
http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9422 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fredir.php%3Flink%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww .spiritualforums.com%252Fvb%252Fredir.php%253Flink %253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.spiritualforums. com%25252Fvb%25252Fredir.php%25253Flink%25253Dhttp %2525253A%2525252F%2525252Fwww.spiritualforums.com %2525252Fvb%2525252Fshowthread.php%2525253Ft%25252 53D9422)

I found that quite interesting. Thanks for posting the link to it Perspective. I might never have found that thread otherwise.:smile:

3dnow
29-05-2011, 01:59 PM

It is good for you because you came to the conclusion that you cannot continue like that and came to the forum.

People are like that, we should accept. We have to become stronger there is no other way. We are alone and independent in this life.

Then we discover true love. (our own love)

3dnow

Perspective
29-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I found that quite interesting. Thanks for posting the link to it Perspective. I might never have found that thread otherwise.:smile:I appreciate you mentioning it... & am glad you found it of interest. :smile:

mysterious
29-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the info - everybody

mysterious
29-05-2011, 04:52 PM
through understanding and interpreting their behavior and words, you can be a lot more successful at 'negotiations'. I hope that makes sense to somebody. Maybe someone else will come along that has the right solution or words for you. Peace~*

Ta - I get what you mean now:cool:

mysterious
29-05-2011, 05:18 PM
It is possible that if mysterious learns to be immune to the way they treat her so that she no longer feels bothered or feels like a victim...

Thats great. I understand what you are saying.
I guess thats what I am trying to learn - how can I become immune to this behaviour; I haven't figured it out yet.

mysterious
29-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Just an added note here mysterious. I am currently working in aged care. You can imagine with the elderly...they are set in their ways and some are just old biddies who snap authority. I cant afford to allow them to take the upper hand and I have to draw upon my power to let them know it is not acceptable behaviour and we wont be spoken to that way. They pull their heads in soon enough when met with the same resistance. So it does work.

Cheers

Cool - so mirroring ppls behaviour back to them

mysterious
29-05-2011, 05:36 PM
either ignore them and not let it get to you, or stand up for yourself (without getting too confrontational) and /or try and avoid being around them as much.

Think about what all of the posters have written and feel it out. Whatever vibes with you is the right answer for you.

Thanks - sure is helpful :thumbsup:

I have heard you can also send their negative energy back to them and off you - like being responsible with the energy because they caused it and so should have it back. Do you think this is right in spiritual terms cause I don't want to do this if it'll only cause more karma for me.

Topaz
29-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Have you tried protecting / shielding yourself everyday ? That might help too x

http://www.williambloom.com/books-cds/psychic-protection.php This book is amazing x

mysterious
29-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Have you tried protecting / shielding yourself everyday ? That might help too x

I have - don't think it works for me. Also I have heard that you shouldn't always sheild your energy since you could be shielding the good vibes too.

Out of much experience I have found that if my centre is strong that I will be better to cope with these situations.

All the best

Topaz
29-05-2011, 05:47 PM
I always ask that negativity is kept out and good vibes can come and go as they wish .

It's when I forget to protect and make my aura stronger that these occurrences happen .

All the best x

NightSpirit
30-05-2011, 06:52 AM
Cool - so mirroring ppls behaviour back to them

Kinda...but a different approach. Its more authoritive but respectful, if you know what I mean. You don't want to come down to their level and do the same thing, because that's only creating the same disrespect as them and not shining the light to show them that there's another more loving way.

For example in my work, if someone spoke nasty to me and threw orders around, I would use an approach like "Excuse me, I wish not to be spoken to that way. It's nicer to ask me politely instead. If there's a problem with that, then please phone the office about it." So I'm not falling into the same trap and stooping to their level. :smile:

zipzip
31-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Thanks - sure is helpful :thumbsup:

I have heard you can also send their negative energy back to them and off you - like being responsible with the energy because they caused it and so should have it back. Do you think this is right in spiritual terms cause I don't want to do this if it'll only cause more karma for me.

I send people "love and light" and then let it go.

I wish you luck

Never, let negative people take your positive energy. I know it's easy for me to say, but I deal with it to. Some days I really don' t feel like sending people "love and light" :icon_eek: (lol) but I try and take a moment and do it because once I do , it usually lessens my tension or negativity.

Good luck

zipzip

Medium_Laura
31-05-2011, 01:55 PM
I have - don't think it works for me. Also I have heard that you shouldn't always sheild your energy since you could be shielding the good vibes too.

Out of much experience I have found that if my centre is strong that I will be better to cope with these situations.

All the best

That's not true. You put up a bubble and you say "Only good comes to me, only good comes from me" It isn't a force field, you allow whatever you want into it. It's YOUR choice :)

By the way, we are drawn to people that are unlike us for a reason. First, it teaches us how we DON'T want to be. It helps us to learn "tolerance" and "compassion" for those who have such a hard time being positive. While it's annoying and angering, it can help us to keep in perspective that being positive matters :) We can help others change by just how we present ourselves :)

NightSpirit
31-05-2011, 02:42 PM
QUOTE]Laura]That's not true. You put up a bubble and you say "Only good comes to me, only good comes from me" It isn't a force field, you allow whatever you want into it. It's YOUR choice :)[/QUOTE]

Agree...:smile:

yinepu
31-05-2011, 03:24 PM

Hey mysterious, coming from a family background that was not fantastic, just remember this, behind every cloud is a silver lining, you just cant see it at the moment. My personal experience .... i was told by a psychic i have always been a warior in previous lifetimes, so perhaps the family your with now are people whom youve harmed in a preivious lifetime... look at it as a healing karma, healing for them and your soul. maybe not you as a human , i know it freakin sux a big one when it happens esp over years.

Look at them with compassion, as a third person, that they are trying to heal thier energy. look i know it could sound like **** esp when your hurting soooo bad, but taking myself personally out of the situation always helped me.

Also it taught me to be very compassionate, understanding and a person whom people turn to when they are in emotional turmoil. I didnt know it all those years ago, but as i tried to analyse the negativity that was around me , i was also learning human behaviour and am very intuitive to people and thier inner hurts .... this is a blessing for you