PDA

View Full Version : Making Life a Tiny Bit Better.

Gem
26-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Just some small thing.

Mostly it is just looking for better things... like in the city people are bustling stressed and frowning, so start looking for someone who is laughing or smiling.

To be the light in this world is simply smiling as others encounter you, or giving a small compliment will make someone smile. So easy to do.

"If in our daily life we can smile... everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." Thich

http://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/gena/smile1.jpg

3dnow
26-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Just some small thing.

Mostly it is just looking for better things... like in the city people are bustling stressed and frowning, so start looking for someone who is laughing or smiling.

To be the light in this world is simply smiling as others encounter you, or giving a small compliment will make someone smile. So easy to do.

"If in our daily life we can smile... everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work." Thich

http://tx.english-ch.com/teacher/gena/smile1.jpg

:smile::smile::smile:

Nice teeth!

3dnow

Natalia
26-05-2011, 10:23 AM
So true! What a lovely post. Thanks Gem :love2:

Bright Blessings :color:

Orbie
26-05-2011, 11:29 AM
:smile::smile::smile:

Nice teeth!

3dnow

:D Was just thinking the same thing!

AmethystDawn
26-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Smiles cost nothing and it is so heartwarming to see another human beings face light up when they are given an unexpected smile or compliment :D

Deusdrum
26-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Yes. I agree with your OP Gem. Pretty back to basics, the foundational classic, kindness.

like a Mother Theresa quote on a paper scrap which i found as a bookmark in a book i bought at the Salvation army;

"Aspire not to greatness, but to great care in small things."

Or something along those lines. Easy to overlook in our dramatic, busy, hustle bustle lives, but maybe the most important of all things, the (insert finger quotations here) "little things."

I am a walking cliche. Thank you.

But yes. A wholehearted endorsement of these sentiments.

sound
26-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi Gem and all :hug3:

I shared a smile today with an elderly lady. Lately i have had to park my car off the premises as there are more cars than parks due to a high number of clients having their own cars. Anyway i parked, locked up and walked the half kilometer, in between rain showers. I noticed an elderly lady walking towards me and noticed that she noticed me. As we passed we both smiled and said Hello... I asked her how she was and she said i am fine thank you and how are you? By this time we were already past each other so i turned and walked backwards and half shouted 'I am fine too ... cant say the same for the weather' .. she was also turning toward me as she walked away form me and shouted back 'There is a bit of blue sky over there, it might fine up yet' lol ... I looked up as she pointed and I nodded and shouted back 'You never know' lol ... by this time we were struggling to see each other let alone hear each other lol ... it was wonderful and hilarious and heartwarming and i could tell she was laughing and experiencing the same joy as me ... sometimes what seems to be the most insignificant aspects of our day can turn out to be the most profound :hug3:

Silver
26-05-2011, 01:02 PM
{Sound!} Two souls bumping into each other that needed a bit more than just hi, howaya! Cute and sweet, I love that story.

amy green
26-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Just imagine if we ALL, everyday, did a random act of kindness.....!

Time
26-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Man.......

People in my city have a horrible habit of staring, even while driving, theyll stare at you as you walk. ITs a bit disconcerting LOL. Not to mention most of the people here dont even look happy at all.

So i moved outwest, and NO one would do this. They were always smiling, talking, giving advice to me. When I first moved there, i had total strangers ask me " you look new here, do you know your way around?". I even had cops and RCMP officers do the same! When your not used to it its a bit freaky, and you tihnk they are on some kind of happy pills, but after living there for 2 years, I understand thats just how they are.

Even the entire way out west, once you get out of my area, the people change.....

So after moving back, its now a habbit to smile, and or say HI to people on the street. Its more rewarding now, becasue people look at me like im some weirdo on something LOL. But the more i do it, the more im realizing people are doing it too ( I cant say its becasue of me, thats a bit ignorant LOL).

Its nice seeing people brak out a smile, who dont look happy, just for saying "hey" to someone on the street.

BlueSky
26-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I get the sense quite often that the smile we lovingly bring to a strangers face can be monumentive and life changing.

For example, we were at a cancer fund raising event and selling candy for it when I noticed a little girl standing in the background with a sad look on her face.
She was somewhat disfigured and what brought my attention to her was the little boys in front quietly snickering.
Anyways as we were packing up, I noticed the little girl leaving and told my wife what happened.
Well she immediately grabbed a load of candy and headed off to cut the little girl off. She non-chalantly walked up to her, after asking her mother if it was OK to give her candy, and offered her a bag filled with candy and a big heart warming smile.
The little girls face lit up and IMO that one act will live with her forever.
James

Gem
26-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Man.......

People in my city have a horrible habit of staring, even while driving, theyll stare at you as you walk.

Probably coz you're so hot!

So i moved outwest, and NO one would do this. They were always smiling, talking, giving advice to me. When I first moved there, i had total strangers ask me " you look new here, do you know your way around?". I even had cops and RCMP officers do the same! When your not used to it its a bit freaky, and you tihnk they are on some kind of happy pills, but after living there for 2 years, I understand thats just how they are.

Even the entire way out west, once you get out of my area, the people change.....

So after moving back, its now a habbit to smile, and or say HI to people on the street. Its more rewarding now, becasue people look at me like im some weirdo on something LOL. But the more i do it, the more im realizing people are doing it too ( I cant say its becasue of me, thats a bit ignorant LOL).

Its nice seeing people brak out a smile, who dont look happy, just for saying "hey" to someone on the street.

Silver
26-05-2011, 02:12 PM
What a beautiful story, James.
Now you did it~

unus supra
26-05-2011, 06:19 PM
haha ya and thats it. when i see a big toothy grin and smiling eyes, i call that "bustin out the big cheese"

cmon...smile for me.....i know you wanna...cmon cmmmon hahahahah

there it is!!

i like looking mean and fierce at a distance to make someone uncomfortable, so when i get up close i bring up the
big cheese just to see that smile hahah. i mean the BIG CHEESE

BlueSky
26-05-2011, 06:25 PM
haha ya and thats it. when i see a big toothy grin and smiling eyes, i call that "bustin out the big cheese"

there it is!!

i like looking mean and fierce at a distance to make someone uncomfortable, so when i get up close i bring up the

Ha!
My wife has an inhome daycare and when I am home and the before school kids are there, I sometimes sit them down and have a contest to see who could look at me and not laugh or smile. Most last about 2 seconds tops and then there are some that just plain scare me.........lol :smile:

Perspective
26-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Gem, I like how you focus on the basics & practical essentials of spirituality.

"Smile - it increases your face value."
My mom said she named me what she did because it reminded her of a smile.
What's ironic is that I was always a deep thinker - often with a serious expression on my face... but when I smile or laugh - I really smile or laugh! :D

It's true - that simple gestures can make a difference & it feels good to know you make a positive difference.
The other day, we were leaving the airport, and stopped to pay for parking.
The lady in the parking booth seemed kindof serious at first, but then we chatted a little & even laughed & we both left smiling.

When I was training for a job, our trainer, told us that for some people we talk to, we will be the only person they talk to that day.
So it's important to be a good experience for those in our sphere of influence.
I think this applies in all of life - to treat whoever crosses our path (including online) with love - no matter who it is.
Sometimes this is easier with strangers than those more familiar.

Kaere
26-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Man.......

People in my city have a horrible habit of staring, even while driving, theyll stare at you as you walk. ITs a bit disconcerting LOL. Not to mention most of the people here dont even look happy at all.

That's cause out west (and it's nice to hear someone else use that phrase lemme tell ya), we're all a bunch of lunatics! The smile lures you in and before you know it, everyone's friends! It's kinda weird.

zipzip
26-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I think it's very important to be a little kinder to one another; either with a simple smile or a small courtesy. Kind of like an inexpensive "pay it forward"

:D to everyone.

(Time-welcome back to the big city lol)

zipzip

TzuJanLi
27-05-2011, 02:09 AM
Greetings..

I make it a point to actually listen to people, to look at them when they're speaking, and listen.. i try to shut my mind off while people speak and let the words and the energy of the words get past my conditioning, into 'who i am'.. i like to pause before responding during a conversation, as i consider what was said and the message it carried.. too often, we watch others begin formulating their responses before we have completely communicated the message, sometimes they interupt because our message is no longer important to them.. it's a simple measure of respect, listen intently even if we disagree..

Be well..

Silver
27-05-2011, 02:11 AM

there it is!!

While i was out and about today, your story crossed my mind and I thought, things like that have happened to me in the past and I always think what's their game, lol! Makes you feel a bit embarrassed, cause you don't know why the big cheesey grin! But you are helpless to do anything but smile~*

Xan
27-05-2011, 03:03 AM

I like this idea, Gem. I call it "small changes that make a big difference".

Xan

Gem
27-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Gem, I like how you focus on the basics & practical essentials of spirituality.

What people do makes all the difference to the world.

'Being' is like to touch the inner peace, and doing is to express it. I know life has frustrations, heartaches and torments and we just see there are ups and downs. We all the same like that so we are able to offer understanding on an intimate level.

Tzu speaks of being attentive, ever so important as it demonstrates concern for the other person, and caring, regardless of agreement and opinion.

To care for another's happiness and well being is kindness, but doing something something to express that is world changing.

"Smile - it increases your face value."
My mom said she named me what she did because it reminded her of a smile.
What's ironic is that I was always a deep thinker - often with a serious expression on my face... but when I smile or laugh - I really smile or laugh! :D

It's true - that simple gestures can make a difference & it feels good to know you make a positive difference.
The other day, we were leaving the airport, and stopped to pay for parking.
The lady in the parking booth seemed kindof serious at first, but then we chatted a little & even laughed & we both left smiling.

When I was training for a job, our trainer, told us that for some people we talk to, we will be the only person they talk to that day.
So it's important to be a good experience for those in our sphere of influence.
I think this applies in all of life - to treat whoever crosses our path (including online) with love - no matter who it is.
Sometimes this is easier with strangers than those more familiar.

Thich has written much about smiling and I love his quote: "your smile, it makes the world more beautiful".

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vHz6QhDHzWs/SmGrE9iPXJI/AAAAAAAAAAw/1Lvkx4V367c/S1600-R/The_Cheshire_Cat_by_chri77.jpg

Muwahahahahahaaaaa

Gem
27-05-2011, 11:14 AM

I like this idea, Gem. I call it "small changes that make a big difference".

Xan

It doesn't matter much if the difference is a big one or a teeny widdew one...

BlueSky
27-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Greetings..

I make it a point to actually listen to people, to look at them when they're speaking, and listen.. i try to shut my mind off while people speak and let the words and the energy of the words get past my conditioning, into 'who i am'.. i like to pause before responding during a conversation, as i consider what was said and the message it carried.. too often, we watch others begin formulating their responses before we have completely communicated the message, sometimes they interupt because our message is no longer important to them.. it's a simple measure of respect, listen intently even if we disagree..

Be well..

Ahh the pause! I am always somewhat envious of those present enough to remember to pause before responding.
Nice post Tzu

Perspective
27-05-2011, 11:27 PM
What people do makes all the difference to the world.

'Being' is like to touch the inner peace, and doing is to express it. I know life has frustrations, heartaches and torments and we just see there are ups and downs. We all the same like that so we are able to offer understanding on an intimate level...

To care for another's happiness and well being is kindness, but doing something something to express that is world changing.

Thich has written much about smiling and I love his quote: "your smile, it makes the world more beautiful". Hi Gem,
Cute picture of the cat from Alice in Wonderland. That movie actually has a lot of interesting symbolism - especially the "Unbirthday Party" - it reminds me of religious herd thinking insanity. "We're all mad here!" lol

Hey, Gem, what you wrote went straight to my heart... & reminded me of a painful situation I've experienced recently.
I am very empathetic - probably too much sometimes. I also openly share from my heart too easily sometimes. When somebody shares something, I think of how I can relate, & empathize & validate their feelings. I've been told I'd be a good therapist, but I wouldn't want that job. lol I'd rather just be a good friend. :smile: Tzu speaks of being attentive, ever so important as it demonstrates concern for the other person, and caring, regardless of agreement and opinion.It's great to be open to new perspectives & to do so, I am usually very attentive, & try to find common ground, whether agreeing or disagreeing with someone. I also appreciate it when others show similar respect. However, when they don't, then I limit the energy I extend them, for my own well-being. Maybe someday, I'll be as advanced as Tzu seems - & be immune to disrespect... but I'm not there yet. However, I'm learning when to "chill out" instead of try in vain to be attentive & caring, only to have it shot down.

When I'm in a discussion in which several are attacking me &/or my opinion, I, like most, may close up my heart, to protect myself. If, there was some meeting "half way" - then I'd be glad to meet the other half way. If not, my primary responsibility is for myself. If I don't take care of myself (including emotionally & socially) - who will? People have told & done some cruel things to me, when their ego perceived threat & their ego went unchecked.

Gem
28-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi Gem,
Cute picture of the cat from Alice in Wonderland. That movie actually has a lot of interesting symbolism - especially the "Unbirthday Party" - it reminds me of religious herd thinking insanity. "We're all mad here!" lol

Hey, Gem, what you wrote went straight to my heart... & reminded me of a painful situation I've experienced recently.
I am very empathetic - probably too much sometimes. I also openly share from my heart too easily sometimes. When somebody shares something, I think of how I can relate, & empathize & validate their feelings. I've been told I'd be a good therapist, but I wouldn't want that job. lol I'd rather just be a good friend. :smile: It's great to be open to new perspectives & to do so, I am usually very attentive, & try to find common ground, whether agreeing or disagreeing with someone. I also appreciate it when others show similar respect. However, when they don't, then I limit the energy I extend them, for my own well-being. Maybe someday, I'll be as advanced as Tzu seems - & be immune to disrespect... but I'm not there yet. However, I'm learning when to "chill out" instead of try in vain to be attentive & caring, only to have it s
When I'm in a disn in which several are attacking me &/or my opinion, I, like most, may close up my heart, to protect myself. If, there was some meeting "half way" - then I'd be glad to meet the other half way. If not, my primary responsibility is for myself. If I don't take care of myself (including emotionally & socially) - who will? People have told & done some cruel things to me, when their ego perceived threat & their ego went unchecked.

I seen cruelty in this world to such extremes that the blood on my hands is there, for if you are in the rain you will get wet. The things I know are never something one gets immune to, and we don't have the nature of immunity, we are vunerable... everything has an effect... otherwize no one could be effected by your smile, and by that same token we are all effected by cruelty.

When you speak I just think of how cruel I have been... like when people talk about their nasty boyfriend/husbands I immediately relate to them (the boyfriends).

At the moment I don't have much opportunity to express kindness... I'm mostly at the receiving end currently.

sound
28-05-2011, 02:19 PM
At the moment I don't have much opportunity to express kindness... I'm mostly at the receiving end currently.

When is the time right to express or not express kindness? I am certainly not immune from being unkind but this statement of yours jumped out Gem ... isn't there always opportunity to be kind to oneself?

Perspective
28-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I seen cruelty in this world to such extremes that the blood on my hands is there, for if you are in the rain you will get wet. The things I know are never something one gets immune to, and we don't have the nature of immunity, we are vunerable... everything has an effect... otherwize no one could be effected by your smile, and by that same token we are all effected by cruelty.

When you speak I just think of how cruel I have been... like when people talk about their nasty boyfriend/husbands I immediately relate to them (the boyfriends).

At the moment I don't have much opportunity to express kindness... I'm mostly at the receiving end currently.Gem,
You are most definitely on the giving end of kindness too. I've felt it in this post you just wrote. Thanks! :smile: :hug3:

That's true - that everything has an effect - which can be good or bad. I'm sorry that you had to witness such cruelty. It really breaks my heart to see & know of suffering, & especially that of children, or others being bullied. I've stood up for them without realizing how in doing so, I'd also be hurt.

What makes me angry is that often "bullies" - seem to win because they have more power. I was really feeling down about this. Then, I watched this movie, "Lessons in Dying" - about an African-American young man during the 1920's... He's wrongfully convicted of murder & sentenced to die. During the court trial, even his attorney called him a hog, saying a hog is not worth wasting energy of the electric chair. He was treated & behaved like an animal... until his grandma insisted an African American teacher visit him in jail & help him gain his dignity & help him die like a man.

I thought, about victory. Superficial, temporary victory is when others seem to gain the upper hand by throwing their power around, carelessly hurting people.
Yet, REAL victory is claiming our dignity, integrity & divinity within, that nobody can take away!

Gem
28-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Gem,
You are most definitely on the giving end of kindness too. I've felt it in this post you just wrote. :smile: :hug3:

You are right - that everything has an effect - which can be good or bad. It really breaks my heart to see & know of suffering, & especially that of children, or others being bullied. I've stood up for them without realizing how in doing so, I'd also be hurt.

What makes me angry is that often "bullies" - seem to win because they have more power. I was really feeling down about this. But the other day, I watched this movie, "Lessons in dying." It's about an African-American young man during the 1920's... He's wrongfully convicted of murder. Even in the court trial, his attorney called him a hog, saying a hog is not worth wasting energy of the electric chair. He was treated & behaved like an animal... until his grandma insisted an African American teacher help him gain his dignity & help him die like a man.

I thought, about victory. Superficial, temporary victory is when others seem to gain the upper hand by throwing their power around, carelessly hurting people. But REAL victory is claiming that divinity, integrity & dignity within, that nobody can take away!

That so reminds me of Valerie's Letter from the film V for Vendetta.

Injustices hurt.

The pain inside us is felt like a brick in the wall, and retaining integrity is difficult, but just like Valerie said "I shall die here, Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch but one. An inch, it is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."

Perspective
28-05-2011, 03:55 PM
That so reminds me of Valerie's Letter from the film V for Vendetta.

Injustices hurt.

The pain inside us is felt like a brick in the wall, and retaining integrity is difficult, but just like Valerie said "I shall die here, Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch but one. An inch, it is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us."I haven't seen that movie, but just checked out the trailer... looks intense!
This stood out to me:
V: "What was done to me was monstrous."
Valerie: "Then they created a monster."

What you mentioned about every inch but one... that priceless inch!
That inch within us.... and also the small but still real difference it can make in social change.

Gem
28-05-2011, 03:58 PM
I haven't seen that movie, but just checked out the trailer... looks intense!
This stood out to me:
V: "What was done to me was monstrous."
Valerie: "Then they created a monster."

What you mentioned about every inch but one... that priceless inch!
That inch within us.... and also the small but still real difference it can make in social change.

That's why this thread is about '...a tiny bit...'

Xan
28-05-2011, 04:06 PM
As I see it, the biggest change in giving just a little more may be less in its effect on others than on the one who makes that choice. It changes one's experience of reality.

Xan

Gem
05-06-2011, 04:42 AM
The biggest change.

Maybe something stupendous!

These things are what people think is important perhaps, but not me. I do not care if something is big or small.

A friend told me about the cicadas... 17 years in the ground just to crawl into the sun for a few days of singing and a bit of nookie, then death.

One cicada of difference, one small song. Such a tiny tiny thing in this whole universe.

Porcelain
05-06-2011, 10:46 AM
It's so true. If everyone just did one small positive thing a day, whether it be a word, a gesture... imagine what our life would be like? I often feel so small and helpless, but I know that I have to keep going, inspiring others to be kind, and compassionate in order to change the world.

Gem
06-06-2011, 12:51 PM
It's so true. If everyone just did one small positive thing a day, whether it be a word, a gesture... imagine what our life would be like? I often feel so small and helpless, but I know that I have to keep going, inspiring others to be kind, and compassionate in order to change the world.

Each little cicada is just climbs out of the Earth and sings, it's just a natural thing for them.