PDA

View Full Version : A Spiritual Stephen King Story!?

John A. Manley
26-11-2006, 06:43 PM
It's not quite a book... but a short story in a collection of Stephen King. It's called the SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION.

You may have seen the movie.

They're both excellent.

Plots vary signficantly.

Why do this movie is spiritual?

First, it's not a horror. Or at least not like most of King's. It's about a horrible situation.

Innocent man judged guilty of killing his wife and her lover is sentenced to life in a 1940s penitentiary.

He's beaten, raped, forced to do manual labour and to handle illegal bookkeeping for the warden.

The movie gets dark, hopeless and depressing. You think there's no hope.

What you find out is that there hope all along.

And the LIGHT at the end consumes all the darkness at once.

I don't want to say more, without ruining the film/book.

If anyone has seen/read it, maybe we could discuss it in the rest of the thread. And those who haven't seen it can go get a copy and let me know what they think.

John

Enlightener
27-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Sup John!

I have seen the movie, it was great, good storyline.

I want to talk about it but I don't wanna ruin it for anyone who wants to see it...(???)

En;lkighswer

p.s.Just how manley are you? (sorry couldn't help myself)

Lapis
27-11-2006, 11:17 PM
I haven't read the book or short story but I've seen the movie a couple of times because it's so good IMO.

The other Stephen King movie I was very impressed with was The Green Mile. If you haven't seen it you're missing another really great one of his.

Enlightener
29-11-2006, 12:56 AM
Yes, I saw that in the cinemas when it came out, very good movie.

Enlightener

whitedove
01-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah brilliant film...strangely enough i didnt know its was SK...am a big fan of his :)

Lapis
05-12-2006, 01:29 AM
A couple others that I really enjoyed and was also surprised to discover where Steven King's works were, Dolores Claiborne and Hearts In Atlantis.

jojobean
19-01-2007, 05:38 PM
Hearts In Atlantis is one of my very favorite Stephen King stories. I've read it several times. The movie, however, did not translate well.

Another great Stephen King book is Liseys Story, which is his latest. It's sort of a love story mixed in with some heartbreak and horror, as only the master can tell it. If you havent' read it, I totally recommend it