PDA

View Full Version : Reiki & Massage

mava
11-05-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi everyone,
I had a question about reiki. Some places I have researched online offer reiki sessions as well as reiki massage, a combination of reiki healing AND a massage. I was wondering what you thought of this.

I read somewhere that this is considered unethical because for a massage, you're unclothed, and that's not how reiki is traditionally practiced. Is this true?

Also, for those of you that perform reiki healings, how much do you charge? The places I have researched are quite expensive!! I'd just like a comparison, but it seems that generally, it's about $70-80 for an hour session.

Thanks!

AngelBreeze
11-05-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Hi Mava!

I had a question about reiki. Some places I have researched online offer reiki sessions as well as reiki massage, a combination of reiki healing AND a massage. I was wondering what you thought of this.

Reiki is very separate and very different from massage as the two are not one and the same and that must be clearly understood! It is obviously a misnomer to group Reiki with Massage such as to call it "Reiki Massage" as they are two very different and very distinct practices with their own set of rules, principles, disciplines, etc.

I read somewhere that this is considered unethical because for a massage, you're unclothed, and that's not how reiki is traditionally practiced. Is this true?

Yes, it would be unethical to do Reiki while disrobed. Reiki is never done disrobed while massage generally is. Also, with Reiki one does not use any oils or lubricants as with massage and there is no manipulation of skin or tissue but is done with a very light laying-on of hands and can even be done with no touching especially in private body areas.

Also, for those of you that perform reiki healings, how much do you charge? The places I have researched are quite expensive!! I'd just like a comparison, but it seems that generally, it's about $70-80 for an hour session.

Thanks!

Reiki practitioners usually charge for their TIME. This varies from region to region, generally speaking. As with any service, a person cannot fully appreciate what they are receiving unless they pay something for it. Some Reiki practitioners also receive an "energy exchange" which is something given by the recipient in exchange for Reiki services. It can be in a form of a gift, a ticket to a concert, etc., a redeemable card, or anything else. The person who rediscovered Reiki, Dr. Mikao Usui, found that if one did not charge for their time in doing Reiki or did not receive some type of exchange the person receiving Reiki could not fully appreciate it and went on to exemplify that with what he had observed was happening. So, it all depends on the practitioner and of course, there are different off-shoots of Usui Reiki that some practice that may also have their own structured rules about this.

Deus tecum, (\o/) AngelBreeze (\o/)

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an anti-Christ." -- II JOHN 1:7 (KJV)

"Jesus saith unto him, I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me." -- JOHN 14:6 (KJV)

The Feather
11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi mava
I have great appriciation for any kind of healing done by someone who really understanding how energy works.

I personally do not see anything wrong with offering Reiki and massage, as most people know massage is without clothes.

Reiki can however be a very powerful tool and for that reason I don't see why there is a need to combine it with massage. Unless you want to attract people who are more traditional and would normally not come for healing, but would be okay with massage, which is a more accepted way of treatment.

Having said that, if the practioner is a true healing channel it would not be possible to cut of the healing when treating a person, no matter if it is a nurce or a massage theapist etc. anyway.... for that reason I see nothing unetical about offering both Reiki and massage, even though I'm aware of Reiki following strict rules, but personally I strongly believe that any form of energy work should follow the flow and for that reason rules would at times have to be broken.

SeekingTheShift
12-05-2011, 01:54 AM
I understand both sides of this thread.

I have been a part of a weekly Reiki Share group for several years now. At the shares, of course the clothes stay on and typically there is no manipulation of muscle or tissue. There is one exception… the feet. Reiki and wee bit of reflexology… oh yes, bring it on. We do ask newbies if they wish to have a bit of a foot rub.

Also at the shares we typically are hands on unless someone asks that we only hover. I personally love hands on Reiki. Only hovering for the root chakra is allowed and hover only for the ladies heart chakra.

OMG… That reminds me. My cat, Katie, who has since passed, was a reiki ****. Sorry, that was the cleanest word I can think of. Katie was far beyond being a Reiki sponge. She would get on the table with whoever was receiving and lay between their knees. This would go on for the two hour shares. We would all get off and on the table without disturbing her. LOL Umm, she was known the share a bit of energy with one fellow’s root chakra, H, but he was a regular for quite a while and didn’t mind.

The other side of this thread is that I know a number of ladies that are masseuses and who have been attuned to Reiki because they love the energy. For some folks that do massage, the energy was actually turned on via their natural healing touch ability. They just wanted to take the healing touch to a new level. I think it would be lovely for anyone in the healing professions to consider adding Reiki to their work.

Also, here in Florida, the only way you can touch a person and charge for it is to have license, such as for massage therapy. However, you can offer Reiki and accept donations.

I am not such a stickler for the so called Reiki rules. It is up to the individual as to if they wish to receive the energy or not. Yes, I ask first but that is because it is the polite thing to do, not because of a 'rule'. On the other hand, we have sent distance Reiki at the shares without so called permission.

Hugs and blessings all around.

mava
12-05-2011, 04:07 AM
Cool, so there seems to be some different opinions in it.
Thanks for the replies!

Seeking - that's funny about your cat! Haha.

I've been debating about spending some extra money on a reiki session, but am not sure if I should at all, or which one I should choose. The idea of a massage with reiki sounds very nice and relaxing, but just wanted some opinions on the "rules" of reiki, since I'm only just learning about it. Thanks!! :)

SeekingTheShift
12-05-2011, 12:33 PM
Mava,

If you have had a massage but never Reiki, consider Reiki alone. It is wonderful and every bit as relaxing IMO.

Reiki will likely move your energy around, perhaps 'adjust' your energy centers and/or clear out some 'stuck/sluggish' energies. If you can, get a late appointment or one where you do not have to return to work, that would be a nice choice. That way you can enjoy the after glow.

What I have noticed is that 95% of folks are relaxed and have a great night of sleep. 3% have loads of energy and woohoo... clean the world or have exccess energy for a while. There are 2% of folks that may have a physical clearing and feel a bit off after the first Reiki session... such as upset stomack or bowels as they clear. IF it turns out to the last... it typically only happens the first time and is rare.

Please feel free to ask others for their thoughts,

Hugs and blessings.

AngelBreeze
12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Cool, so there seems to be some different opinions in it.
Thanks for the replies!

Seeking - that's funny about your cat! Haha.

I've been debating about spending some extra money on a reiki session, but am not sure if I should at all, or which one I should choose. The idea of a massage with reiki sounds very nice and relaxing, but just wanted some opinions on the "rules" of reiki, since I'm only just learning about it. Thanks!! :)

Greetings Mava!

You will find varied opinions here no doubt. The overriding factor is whether after learning the "rules" in a Reiki class as you are asking about, some practitioners would tend to bend or break them. Watch out for that! It is a Red Flag! If there are those who would do Reiki with the recipient undressed or in any way manipulate any part of the body including the feet, that could land them in pretty hot water and to say the least charges could be brought against them unless they are properly licensed by the state or other governing authorities.

There are Ethical Rules Of Reiki that one must follow as a practitioner. When one would tend to side-step those rules which include honor, dignity, professionalism, observing state, local, and other authority laws, full regard for the recipient, etc. then that practitioner is inviting trouble for themselves. It appears easy to override rules by those who are not thinking straight. That may well come back to revisit them before they know it! You see, all it takes is for someone to go and 'test' the practitioner posing as a client or recipient. They will be observant of what is transpiring and will be making mental notes. They may not tell you anything about it but later you may receive a summons. That has happened before to some because they were careless and thought they could just about write their own ticket and get away with it. They didn't!

A good clue as to the ethics of a practitioner is to read or listen to what they are writing or have to say, as well as ask some of their clients or recipients. If you know what they are saying or doing goes against the Reiki rules or against state law, then you pretty well know where they are coming from and how they would conduct a Reiki session and how it could ultimately affect them as well as you. Fortunately, most Reiki practitioners have much pride in their work and conduct it with full integrity. It is, however, those as in other fields, who would deviate from the honored principles and rules who would give Reiki a black eye. Watch out for them! Always Read what they have to say and then see if what they are espousing would be the ethical thing to do as it concerns Reiki.

"For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an anti-Christ." -- II JOHN 1:7 (KJV)

"Jesus saith unto him, I Am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by Me." -- JOHN 14:6 (KJV)

mava
13-05-2011, 01:49 PM
Great! Such helpful information!!

I've been thinking more about it - yea it definitely makes sense that they charge for their TIME, not for the session itself necessarily.

I might make an appointment very soon. Any recommendations - does it affect you to go in the morning, afternoon, or nighttime?

One more question, which might seem silly, but do reiki practitioners expect tips? If I was to go before getting any replies, I think I would give a tip because they might not get 100% of the money that they charge. If the price is $75, possibly a $10 tip?

One last question! I see on their sites, they also offer follow-ups, which I don't think I would do, but are these recommended?

pre-dawn
13-05-2011, 04:17 PM
One more question, which might seem silly, but do reiki practitioners expect tips? If I was to go before getting any replies, I think I would give a tip because they might not get 100% of the money that they charge. If the price is $75, possibly a $10 tip?
Why a tip? If the treatment is free then consider making a donation. If there is a charge then that is what it costs. The practitioner makes the price, you agree, or negotiate around it and when an agreement is reached that's it, that is how much it will cost. End of story.

pre-dawn
13-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Also at the shares we typically are hands on unless someone asks that we only hover. I personally love hands on Reiki. Only hovering for the root chakra is allowed and hover only for the ladies heart chakra.
As a professional I object to this "hover only in certain places". While I respect the wishes of the client I cannot accept the "hover only" as the automatic thing to do.
It is possibly sexist too as the same thing may not be applied equally to male and female.

yinepu
13-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi i was taught by my reiki master to manipulate the feet not in the flow of it but at the end.

Also i charged in australia $50 because this is what was being charged in my area, however i offered free sessions to a child (teen ) kwhos mother was beside herself with her childs insomnia.

I explain to EVERY client where my hands will be placed around the heart and root chakra and ask them if they would feel uncomfortable... most people will say no because its in built in us to go with the flow, however i also let them now at anytime they can change thier mind if they start to feel uncomfortable.

I do not touch the breast nor the genital area, it is a placement i show on my own body to the client prior to them even lying down.

I also advertised discounts available, so if some one could not afford it , i would offer to do it for free, you get a feel for who is honest and who is curious.

mava
13-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Why a tip? If the treatment is free then consider making a donation. If there is a charge then that is what it costs. The practitioner makes the price, you agree, or negotiate around it and when an agreement is reached that's it, that is how much it will cost. End of story.

Well, I brought up the tipping because it's at a business that also does massage, spa treatments, etc., and for example, when I get a hair cut, it's proper to leave a tip or if you get a massage, it's also usually proper to leave a tip. So I figured the same might be true with reiki, but maybe it depends on the situation/place.

AngelBreeze
14-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Great! Such helpful information!!

I've been thinking more about it - yea it definitely makes sense that they charge for their TIME, not for the session itself necessarily.

Greetings to you, Mava!

Yes, Reiki practitioners and masters usually accept something for their Time in conducting Reiki sessions and not for the Reiki itself. It is, in essence, similar to priests in a church or ministers who pass the collection plate and take donations, etc for sustainability. Clergy does not charge for the mass or service they conduct but may charge for their time in conducting weddings, etc. since there are still bills to be paid, salaries, upkeep of the church, insurance, etc. If they did not take donations they would then fold up and the people who depend upon the church for their spiritual needs would be at a loss. The same with Reiki practitioners. If they did not receive some form of compensation for their time they would soon have to go to work elsewhere to get money to pay their bills thus, they would need to cease offering Reiki services as bills would not be able to be paid, etc. and those who requested Reiki would likewise then be at a loss.

I might make an appointment very soon. Any recommendations - does it affect you to go in the morning, afternoon, or nighttime?

Reiki can be done at anytime actually but the daylight hours appear to be the norm for most people.

So, what are you saying here? That if they had a set charge for their time of say $75.00, you might not give them that? And instead only tip them $10.00? I'm trying to understand that. There are many Reiki practitioners who will work with those who are unable to pay higher. Some even offer a "sliding scale" depending on a person's inability to pay the full price as an exchange for Reiki.

One last question! I see on their sites, they also offer follow-ups, which I don't think I would do, but are these recommended?

Follow-ups are done depending on the circumstances. If for example, one goes in for something that may require greater time with Reiki, then a follow-up may be offered or recommended. It is not unusual to return more than once for Reiki in many areas unless it is just for a quick one-time perk-up relaxation that does not require a follow-up.