PDA

View Full Version : Duckling eaten by a Pike

Greg
09-05-2011, 08:29 PM
A couple of days ago I witnessed a Duckling being taken away by a Pike (A fish), I saw it's mother trying so hard to rescue it and so did I. The Pike kept taking the Duckling underwater though and I'm guessing it must of drowned it before it ate it.
The reason I'm telling you this is because it's had a real effect on me. I was in tears and have had a hard time dealing with it since. It was the look on the Ducklings face, it was so scared and I wanted to save it so much.
As someone who adores nature and claims nature to be my God, it can often appear cruel too. My blessings to the lovely little Duckling.

Squatchit
09-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Hiya Greg

I had a similar experience with a goldfinch, a pane of glass and a domesticated cat.

Nature is neither adorable or bad. It just is.

It's a hard thing for us emotional humans to get used to...but it's there every day in our faces.

Soul Searching
09-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi Greg.

Ditto ...... with a Sparrow Hawk and a Collared Dove on our front lawn last year.

The Hawk "took" the Dove from our back garden, and then proceeded to pull all the feathers from it on the front lawn for about 10 minutes ....... plucked it clean, before flying off to the woods 200 yards away where it was nesting.

Hard to watch ...... yes ...... nature to us emotional beings, does seem very cruel sometimes.

To the Hawk though, it's just what comes naturally, he's feeding his chicks ...... no right or wrong to it ...... as Squatchit says ......... it just is.

Sorry you are feeling so down after witnessing this ...... just wait till tomorrow, nature will have some other marvel somewhere to distract you, and lift your spirits up again.

Soulie. :color:

Triner
09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Greg,

That's the nature of predator/prey. Those things are part of the cycle of life. Nature has to have that balance, as 'unpretty' as it may seem to us.

I see similar things on my bird feeders. I have loads of songbirds and the like feeding at the feeders. I also have at least one (possibly two) Cooper's hawk that hunts the little birds. It's fascinating watching nature unfold. I bless all of the animals.

Speaking of the balance of nature, Nature's become unbalanced in suburbia (where I live). We humans have eliminated the larger predators (wolves, bears) so that the deer are massively overpopulated. The deer are being hit by cars and starving all over.

Silver
09-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Seems most of us have caught a glimpse of this unpleasant reality and it makes me cry, in spite of the fact I think nothing of buying a burger or eating a bowl of chili where someone else has done the dirty work. It's harsh and perplexing.

LadyVirgoxoxo
12-05-2011, 01:17 AM
It's the circle of life. There's not much you can really do. I believe in leaving nature alone and letting it take it's course. That poor little duckling though, I would cry as well. My prayers go to that precious little darling.

Sentientno1
12-05-2011, 05:17 AM
In the realm of nature all things are interdependant. The duckling fed the pike so the pike could lay eggs so the ducklings could feed on the fish's babies, and so life continues...there is a symetry to it all.

iolite
12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
A couple of days ago I witnessed a Duckling being taken away by a Pike (A fish), I saw it's mother trying so hard to rescue it and so did I. The Pike kept taking the Duckling underwater though and I'm guessing it must of drowned it before it ate it.
The reason I'm telling you this is because it's had a real effect on me. I was in tears and have had a hard time dealing with it since. It was the look on the Ducklings face, it was so scared and I wanted to save it so much.
As someone who adores nature and claims nature to be my God, it can often appear cruel too. My blessings to the lovely little Duckling.

Greg...

I too have done my share of rescuing wild creatures. I feel that I was placed there to be of help. I do not agree with wild life naturalists that we shouldn't interfere. While I understand that wild animals live life on the edge and can die from starvation, injury or predator; if I happen to be in a situation where I can rescue an animal so it can live another day, then I will intervene. Sometimes I can help, other times I can just be there and keep it company as it slips away or offer up a prayer if I come along too late.

Scibat
12-05-2011, 03:56 PM
As some say Nature is a mother. I always say nature is a (rhymes with witch).

BlueSky
12-05-2011, 04:11 PM

I hear ya brother. Personally I'm not convinced nature is all so natural.
A part of me sees, in the bonds I have made with certain wildlife, a reconnecting of sorts.
As if things were not always this way and have evolved to what you see.
But that's me...........I'm probably just too emotional when it comes to such things.

Sarian
12-05-2011, 06:19 PM
I get so upset over things like that too. I know it's the way of life, but it's hard to witness. I'm forever saving animals, reptiles, insects even. Yesterday in the toilet at work was a bee trying desparately to get out. Anyone else would have flushed it, but I got a papertowel and let it get on that and I let it loose outside. TOday a spider in the sink could not get out. I got it on tp and let it climb out.

I have stopped in the roads and shushed snakes off to the side so they don't get run over. I have taken turtles off the road so they don't get hit. I drive my kids nuts because I swerve for frogs and toads. I tried to rescue a toad from a snake once, but could not, and this may sound morbid but when I realized I couldn't, since I love taking pictures, I photographed it. i could not do that all the time. I became fascinated with how the shake was swallowing it. I got in a fight with a man on a main highway when he got to this huge turtle I was trying to save. He got it and proudly told me he was taking it home to make turtle soup. I was so upset.

I had been watching a nest of baby birds getting ready to take their first flight. I was delighted when one finally did and was soaring happily when out of the blue came one of my dogs who quickly leaped into mid-air and swallowed it! :-(

BlueSky
12-05-2011, 06:29 PM
I get so upset over things like that too. I know it's the way of life, but it's hard to witness. I'm forever saving animals, reptiles, insects even. Yesterday in the toilet at work was a bee trying desparately to get out. Anyone else would have flushed it, but I got a papertowel and let it get on that and I let it loose outside. TOday a spider in the sink could not get out. I got it on tp and let it climb out.

I have stopped in the roads and shushed snakes off to the side so they don't get run over. I have taken turtles off the road so they don't get hit. I drive my kids nuts because I swerve for frogs and toads. I tried to rescue a toad from a snake once, but could not, and this may sound morbid but when I realized I couldn't, since I love taking pictures, I photographed it. i could not do that all the time. I became fascinated with how the shake was swallowing it. I got in a fight with a man on a main highway when he got to this huge turtle I was trying to save. He got it and proudly told me he was taking it home to make turtle soup. I was so upset.

I had been watching a nest of baby birds getting ready to take their first flight. I was delighted when one finally did and was soaring happily when out of the blue came one of my dogs who quickly leaped into mid-air and swallowed it! :-(

My sister from another mister!
Wow...I do all those same things and it feels great to do so.
Bless you for all that you do for creatures in the world...........:smile:
James

Sarian
13-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Thank you, James! I'm so glad you are the same way.

I'm feeling blue tonight as one of my dogs is sick. She got sick a couple years ago and I got medicine for her, but the vet said he doubted she'd make it, but I went out there every day with the pills and also shoved ground beef and other meats down her throat and nursed her back. I think she's ailing with the same thing again. If anyone can send Mama dog (madison) some healing vibes and prayers, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

LadyVirgoxoxo
14-05-2011, 02:01 PM
She's in my prayers :hug3:

Chrysaetos
14-05-2011, 03:23 PM
It is sad for the duckling and its mom, but good for the fish. Can't have it both. I don't like the sight of such a thing either, but it's part of the game.
Speaking of the balance of nature, Nature's become unbalanced in suburbia (where I live). We humans have eliminated the larger predators (wolves, bears) so that the deer are massively overpopulated. The deer are being hit by cars and starving all over.One species disappears and another takes the role. There is never a non-balance (or balance from another point of view)..

BlueSky
16-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Thank you, James! I'm so glad you are the same way.

I'm feeling blue tonight as one of my dogs is sick. She got sick a couple years ago and I got medicine for her, but the vet said he doubted she'd make it, but I went out there every day with the pills and also shoved ground beef and other meats down her throat and nursed her back. I think she's ailing with the same thing again. If anyone can send Mama dog (madison) some healing vibes and prayers, it'd be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What did the vet say is wrong with her Sarian?
My thoughts are with her..........
James