PDA

View Full Version : Hindu Ego and Western Ego are two different things.

Honza
07-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Hindu ego is a totally different thing to what most westerners call ego. Freud and his definition of ego is different to what Hindus call ego.

There are two definitions of ego in the world. Its confusing. The western ego is actually very important for peoples health. If they destroy that, then they are scuppered. The western ego is necessary for daily living.

Because I confused the two different definitions I ended up hurting myself. I tried to get rid of my Freudian ego and nearly destroyed myself.

Freudian ego is basically ones own "I". Ones own "I AM". Which Hindus value as important as well. I'm not quite sure what Hindus call ego. But it is not the "I".

Do you get confused too?

Honza
07-05-2011, 08:43 AM
In other words; ones own "I" is very good for you. You need it. Without a sense of ones own "I" you will be lost.

Hindu ego on the other hand is what? A false sense of ones own "I" perhaps?

E. E. Mitch Ham Ell
07-05-2011, 05:23 PM
In reality, both are the same thing.
Ego, is the result of a Sel-Soul believing in the separation, then, he beggins to believe in the scarcity, and, if all is scarce, he needs to compete to survive, that is the ego, the deluded Self-Soul, that first, think in himself, and only after, in the others. The western and the oriental vision of ego, converge to that, both together, form a almost complete description and explanation about the human ego.
We tend to create more and more separation, including in spirituality, but, in the majority of cases, all are speaking about the same thing, but, seeing diferent facets of it.

Alexandre
Sacred Space Mitch Ham Ell
http://www.mitchhamell.com.br/

Eudaimonist
08-05-2011, 08:51 AM
The western ego is actually very important for peoples health. If they destroy that, then they are scuppered. The western ego is necessary for daily living.

Agreed. A healthy ego is a positive thing.

We need to have a good sense of self-esteem -- of ego esteem -- by which I mean a sense of personal efficacy in life. If you take away that, you'll most likely end up an insecure mess.

The ego is potentially enhanced by eastern views that see past the inborn illusion of selfhood as atomistic and unchanging. This helps us to connect with others and to let go of outdated values. In doing so, we gain a sense of efficacy that is related to our life experiences.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Honza
08-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Not just personal efficacy, but also personal security.

If the ego does not provide a sense of personal security then there is something going wrong.

Internal Queries
08-05-2011, 12:14 PM
my ego offers me little security since i know it isn't real. it's just a ragged fig leaf used to cover my vulnerabilities.