PDA

View Full Version : Omnism anyone?

Charmed Fool
02-05-2011, 03:47 PM
I was just curious if there is anyone else here that considers themselves an Omnist beside myself. I know it is not a widely known belief, being that many people can not belief in all religions, but then again, neither do I. I refer more to the acceptance of the legitimacy of all religions. There is a fine line in my mind, but it most certainly is where I found myself to belong after much soul searching.

Animus27
02-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Yes, and no.

I am a self-professed connoisseur of religion :tongue:

But I do not accept the weight of all religious perspective's. Even if I might consider them an expression of a person or group's connection with the sacred, but that doesn't mean I have to believe as they do, and in fact my experiences, knowledge and beliefs may be in direct opposition with theirs. Which usually means I'll say "no thanks, but rock on.".
Although learning about various worldviews and belief systems has greatly helped me in understanding my own, and has sure as Hel made me question mine - which is good.

Because..... "Because without questions, we'd just have answers. And an answer without a question is a statement." - Mayor Adam West.

konrard
03-05-2011, 01:28 AM
it is my understanding that all religions are symbolic, and all symbolic of the same thing

its when you get down into the watered down, literal interpretations that the masses have accepted that you find differences among religions

Charmed Fool
04-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes, and no.

I am a self-professed connoisseur of religion :tongue:

But I do not accept the weight of all religious perspective's. Even if I might consider them an expression of a person or group's connection with the sacred, but that doesn't mean I have to believe as they do, and in fact my experiences, knowledge and beliefs may be in direct opposition with theirs. Which usually means I'll say "no thanks, but rock on.".
Although learning about various worldviews and belief systems has greatly helped me in understanding my own, and has sure as Hel made me question mine - which is good.

Because..... "Because without questions, we'd just have answers. And an answer without a question is a statement." - Mayor Adam West.

Haha, "self-professed connoisseur of religion", beautifully put<3 :D I agree with your statements very much so, I think it is so wonderful to be able to see, experience and learn about other religions other than the one you grew up in or happened to know the most about. I myself do not have one religion, then again, I do not agree with every thing from the rest either (haha, of course not, that I don't believe to be possible!). By exploring religions from around the world and close to home I have found a love for knowledge, just a thirst to keep learning. I absolutely love the beliefs and spiritual feelings people have from all walks of the earth. It is astounding, and one of the most interesting things I have ever studied in my life.

it is my understanding that all religions are symbolic, and all symbolic of the same thing

its when you get down into the watered down, literal interpretations that the masses have accepted that you find differences among religions

True, religions are most certainly symbolic of the same general idea (idea[s] in some cases), yet when read or deciphered literally the differences come about that allow for Buddhism to have a different name than Confucianism. I just have seen so many tid-bits here and there that I full heartedly agree with or at least enjoy the idea of that it is easy for me to say I find a little bit (some more than others naturally) of truth in all religions. Not to say that I have studied every single one (yet again, another preposterous idea, as at least to me, religions A-Z and their content are a life-long study), however, the ones I have I always find myself closing a book or ending a conversation with someone just a little bit more knowledgeable and enlightened to the vastness of spirituality around me.

So, I guess if I put a name to my religion (which of course no one has to do so), it would most certainly be Omnist. But hey, I could just be a spiritual person. Name tags are not big to me in the slightest, I just love the limitless potential of the spiritual and religious mind. :icon_study: :love5: