PDA

View Full Version : How should spiritual people behave?

A peaceful mind.
25-04-2011, 10:41 AM
How should spiritual people behave? Should we be an example on how to be and let people find out for themselves? Should we show people around us the spiritual world by telling them about tomorrow or just let them find out for themselves? There are many ways of helping, do you use time on explaining things to a persons that isn’t ready to believe in anything spiritual or do you try to show them?

I hope to hear other views on this issue

I had a hard time trying to write down my opinion on these issues so I made this :O)

Yours

A Peaceful Mind.

War or Peace

What do you want War or Peace said the master to the student

The student answered: Peace master!

Then the master said: Then you have to find peace within so that you don’t have to go to war.

How? Answered the student

The master answered: Start loving yourself even the worst things about you, learn to transform the negative to positive. When you find anger replace it with peace, when you find hate replace it with love, when you feel jealous, replace it with happy thought fore people.

When there is no more war within, there can only peace. And when you see or hear people in war with others or themselves come with peace and leave with peace. Be an example and let them learn as you have learned from others.

The master turned away from the student and left him standing alone.

The student observed the master leaving him and he felt the anger within.
Whey is he always right why do he always have the right answers!

Watch and learn and practice and be you own master my student the world around you will be you teacher said the master far away.

bbr
25-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Hi Apm. Spiritual people are naturally joyful and conscientious. Likewise we all have our unpleasant days and our personal issues to overcome. Past that, I don't see it as needing to "behave" in any particular way.

Lightspirit
25-04-2011, 11:10 AM
To me I have noticed spiritual people are more inclined to read and understand.
It has been my observation that people who claim to be spiritual generally are able to tap into enegies hidden from others and can sense th

Lightspirit
25-04-2011, 11:11 AM
To me I have noticed spiritual people are more inclined to read and understand.
It has been my observation that people who claim to be spiritual generally are able to tap into enegies hidden from others and can sense things in other people, tis leads to empathy.

If you have intelligence, wisdom and empathy you should have a fairly civil chat.

Seven
25-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Spiritual people should behave anyway they feel urged to in my opinion. I personally feel behavior is born of the concept of civility which is born of a series of limited beliefs held and created within a "society". If your aim as a "spiritual person" is to develop beyond the confinements of limited belief systems then I'd say letting go of concerns with behavior would be healthy.

ROM
25-04-2011, 11:18 AM
I think being an example would be the best way. We can't force other's onto the right path, but we can show them.

The Feather
25-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I only know my path, and can only be true to that path, by living my life accordingly. If others feel they have the same path (or part of the path), I am only happy to have shown the path for them by being me, as I am grateful for the once walked on my path before me.

My path is not the only way, and I will always support others on their chosen path the best that I know how.

jjj
25-04-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm in the helping profession so I spend more time than not coming to understand my role in the lives of others. Let your light shine ~~ :) I do not tell people how to be or how to believe. I do recognize my humanity, my range of emotions, my reactions. I'm not perfect, why should anyone else be? I do let others know what I am not willing to allow (behavior-wise) in my groups, my house, my office, etc. They may behave any way they want except when they enter my space, I have to know where my boundaries are. Not setting boundaries (which has been an issue) did not mean unconditional love. :)

I think that every person is a spiritual person. The one spirit lives in everyone, it doesn't make choices. But if I am consciously nurturing the light within and trusting it, then my behavior will reflect this. To really be able to let the light shine, I have to be transparent. Energy work, emotional/ psychological work, and physical work are necessary to maintain clarity, for me. If we are clear, the universe will support us. I have also come to the understanding that I do not control whether someone is healing or heals. I may be able to help facilitate but ALL of the 'credit' goes to the person who is healing and the light. No clinging to outcomes... I do not control anything. :)

How should spiritual people behave? Should we be an example on how to be and let people find out for themselves? Should we show people around us the spiritual world by telling them about tomorrow or just let them find out for themselves? There are many ways of helping, do you use time on explaining things to a persons that isn’t ready to believe in anything spiritual or do you try to show them?

I hope to hear other views on this issue

I had a hard time trying to write down my opinion on these issues so I made this :O)

Yours

A Peaceful Mind.

War or Peace

What do you want War or Peace said the master to the student

The student answered: Peace master!

Then the master said: Then you have to find peace within so that you don’t have to go to war.

How? Answered the student

The master answered: Start loving yourself even the worst things about you, learn to transform the negative to positive. When you find anger replace it with peace, when you find hate replace it with love, when you feel jealous, replace it with happy thought fore people.

When there is no more war within, there can only peace. And when you see or hear people in war with others or themselves come with peace and leave with peace. Be an example and let them learn as you have learned from others.

The master turned away from the student and left him standing alone.

The student observed the master leaving him and he felt the anger within.
Whey is he always right why do he always have the right answers!

Watch and learn and practice and be you own master my student the world around you will be you teacher said the master far away.

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 11:55 AM
do you use time on explaining things to a persons that isn’t ready to believe in anything spiritual A peaceful Mind

I guess my question is "what would you even tell people?"
My next question is "Why would you tell people unless they asked?"

I see all people and all paths as spiritual so I don't look at people with the mindset of having something to tell them. If they see something in me and ask then I just respond however naturally I respond and usually I am just sharing my experiences. I am no more "spiritual" than anyone else.

James

7luminaries
25-04-2011, 02:38 PM
For me, I would only say find your own truth and share it. Find your own love and share it. Find your own connection to Source and light and share it.

Encourage everyone else to do the same in their own way.

:)
7L

Perspective
25-04-2011, 03:02 PM
We are all spiritual people behaving the best we know how.
During those times when we become more aware of our spiritual natures, we tend to be more genuine - because it's who we really are! We don't pretend we're perfect. We embrace the truth as much as possible, but realize we all cling to illusional crutches. We are lively! We feel richly - get excited, cry, laugh. We are sensitive, appreciative & loving toward the divinity within and all around us. :hug3:

Internal Queries
25-04-2011, 03:10 PM
**shrug** i don't know how "spiritual people" are "suppose" to behave. looking at stories of saints and mystics and such folks they were seldom passive energies and they weren't fluffy cutesy in the delivery of their truths. they were radical energies and their truths often caused social upheavals.

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 03:17 PM
**shrug** i don't know how "spiritual people" are "suppose" to behave. looking at stories of saints and mystics and such folks they were seldom passive energies and they weren't fluffy cutesy in the delivery of their truths. they were radical energies and their truths often caused social upheavals.

Hi IQ,
I guess it depends who you look at but I am curious what you mean or what you are implying when you use this 'fluffy/cutesy' talk.

I've heard it before from you and I was wonderful what exactly is that?

Was Ghandi passive? Was he fluffy? How bout mother Theresa? Was she cutesy? lol

How about talking about love..........is that fluffy/cutesy?

I'm just curious as to where you are coming from.
Thanks, James

clovelly
25-04-2011, 03:25 PM
For me, I would only say find your own truth and share it. Find your own love and share it. Find your own connection to Source and light and share it.

Encourage everyone else to do the same in their own way.

7L

This is beautiful 7luminaies.
Yesterday somebody told me our only real purpose in life is to give light.

Internal Queries
25-04-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi IQ,
I guess it depends who you look at but I am curious what you mean or what you are implying when you use this 'fluffy/cutesy' talk.

I've heard it before from you and I was wonderful what exactly is that?

Was Ghandi passive? Was he fluffy? How bout mother Theresa? Was she cutesy? lol

How about talking about love..........is that fluffy/cutesy?

I'm just curious as to where you are coming from.
Thanks, James

well, no. Ghandi wasn't passive. he was definately a radical and caused a lot of social upheavel by speaking and acting on his truths. Mother Teresa doesn't float my boat as a "spiritual person" since she advocated the concept of suffering being "good for the soul". nothing radical about that in Catholicism. if she had advocated for pain medication for the dying THAT would have been radical for a Catholic nun.

what i'm talking about when i refer to "cutesy fluffy" is the tendency of SOME new agers to avoid conflict at any cost, to wrap up everything in sweet cotton candy and get their knickers in a knot if their spiritual concepts aren't handled with kid gloves. if one doesn't tippy toe on rice paper around them they feel "disrespected".

Love isn't always sweetness and light. sometimes Love is one tough mofo.

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 03:43 PM
well, no. Ghandi wasn't passive. he was definately a radical and caused a lot of social upheavel by speaking and acting on his truths. Mother Teresa doesn't float my boat as a "spiritual person" since she advocated the concept of suffering being "good for the soul". nothing radical about that in Catholicism. if she had advocated for pain medication for the dying THAT would have been radical for a Catholic nun.

what i'm talking about when i refer to "cutesy fluffy" is the tendency of SOME new agers to avoid conflict at any cost, to wrap up everything in sweet cotton candy and get their knickers in a knot if their spiritual concepts aren't handled with kid gloves. if one doesn't tippy toe on rice paper around them they feel "disrespected".

Fair enough.......thanks.

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 04:02 PM

May I inquire further as something just came to mind. What do you think of Yin and Yang?
I ask because I see that life swings from passive to aggressive. From being receptive to being active.
It seems just as natural to me to witness "avoiding" confict in others and in myself as it seems natural to witness "doing" and being active.
I think it all part of life. I'm in a Yin state currently. Totally receptive and passive. This is preceded by many years of being active, searching, doing, reading, etc.
James

Internal Queries
25-04-2011, 04:20 PM
May I inquire further as something just came to mind. What do you think of Yin and Yang?
I ask because I see that life swings from passive to aggressive. From being receptive to being active.
It seems just as natural to me to witness "avoiding" confict in others and in myself as it seems natural to witness "doing" and being active.
I think it all part of life.
James

Yin/Yan denotes polarities and it's not been my life experience that situations are either/or. more like the Yin/Yan is spinning so fast that it turns gray.

and i don't believe that "fluffy cutesy" folks are actually passive since they'll seek to enforce their "fluffy cutesiness" on you during the course of a discussion. if you fail to wrap your observations in cotton candy they'll pull out their "you're being disrespectful" victim card, which seems to me to be controlling passive aggressive behavior.

life isn't a passive state of being. it's dynamic. the action of a sprout breaking out of it's seed casing is violence.

7luminaries
25-04-2011, 04:23 PM
This is beautiful 7luminaies.
Yesterday somebody told me our only real purpose in life is to give light.

Light and love. The light awakens you. If you feel loved then you can be loving from a place of receiving as well as giving. Sometimes I just want to sleep in dark, LOL...and sometimes I just need to lie on the rocks and bask in the light. Sometimes I need to lick my wounds & lie in a pool of healing waters.

But I still agree with you. Giving love and light is our only real purpose. It's the way we acknowledge the divinity on one another, and that is important. We know God, or our God-self, "sees" or knows our divinity. Soi we are called to step outside ourselves and reflect that face of God back to others, to acknowledge the fullness of their humanity.

It reminds me of that basic 2-man game of trust. If you and the other party both trust, you will both put your cards on the table and you both get max rewards. If you trust, everyone gets the max benefit in the end, including you.

If you trust and the other withholds, they take some of your rewards. If they trust and you withhold, you take some of theirs. After a few rounds of mistrust on one side or the other, generally both sides withhold and both sides eventually lose everything. If you withhold, everyone loses in the end, including you.

I think this is where humanity is at. The most important lessons are always the simplest. That's why they are the hardest.

Peace,
7L

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 04:26 PM
Yin/Yan denotes polarities and it's not been my life experience that situations are either/or. more like the Yin/Yan is spinning so fast that it turns gray.

and i don't believe that "fluffy cutesy" folks are actually passive since they'll seek to enforce their "fluffy cutesiness" on you during the course of a discussion. if you fail to wrap your observations in cotton candy they'll pull out their "you're being disrespectful" victim card, which seems to me to be controlling passive aggressive behavior.

life isn't a passive state of being. it's dynamic. the action of a sprout breaking out of it's seed casing is violence.

I don't see or expereince it that way. Life swings from Yin to Yang and to find the balance is a sweet thing.
The sun itself is Yang and the earth herself is Yin. Together the dance they do supports life.
And besides all that I would agree that there is such a thing as being disrespectful....wouldn't you?
James

Internal Queries
25-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I don't see or expereince it that way. Life swings from Yin to Yang and to find the balance is a sweet thing.
The sun itself is Yang and the earth herself is Yin. Together the dance they do supports life.
And besides all that I would agree that there is such a thing as being disrespectful....wouldn't you?
James

well, IMO the Earth isn't the polar opposite of the Sun. a black hole would be though.

sure. there's such a thing as "disrespect" but subjugating ones own expression of truth to avoid bruising the thin skin of a passive aggressive person is disrepecting ones self. if someOne tells me that i'm in for a nasty afterlife if i fail to adhere to to their belief system i'm gonna tell them "male bovine feces!" whether saying such would bruise their spiritual ego or not.

Miss Hepburn
25-04-2011, 04:42 PM
How should spiritual people behave?

Well....like me!

:D :D :hug3:

:wink:

Enya
25-04-2011, 05:08 PM
Spiritual people should behave like people everywhere... with integrity, honesty and compassion. In short, like a proper human being, not a conditioned one.

A peaceful mind.
25-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Seriously :O)

I know that there are many different answerers to this question depending on belief systems and moral and so one. But I was hoping that we all could agree on something.

Being spiritual for me is to be of service for a great good and be an good example for other to follow. But basically can’t we all agree on that?

Ore are there more to it?

I am a spiritual person and I am in serve the great good and help humanity to a higher spiritual level

I am a spiritual person and I try to be a good example to others on how to be

I am a spiritual person and I know my path and try to learn others how the path for them by being me

I am a spiritual person and I am not perfect so therefore I am not able to show anybody anything

I am a spiritual person and I am no more "spiritual" than anyone else so I won’t help anybody that isn’t asking for help

I am a spiritual person and encourage everyone else to do the same in their own way

I am a spiritual person and encourage Spiritual people to behave anyway they feel urged to

I am a spiritual person and my path is not the only way, and I will always support others on their chosen path the best that I know how

If you don’t agree then let me hear why?

Internal Queries
25-04-2011, 05:25 PM
i'm not a "spiritual person" so i'll just be myself.

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, spiritual is word with many meanings and no meaning. I can't make claims to it either.... unless one defines what they mean by spiritual.
James

Enya
25-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Spiritual people should behave like people everywhere... with integrity, honesty and compassion. In short, like a proper human being, not a conditioned one.
I'll repeat my response because, as far as I'm concerned, that involves being of service and being a good example to others.

unus supra
25-04-2011, 06:02 PM
i think its counterproductive to put up even the subtlest rules of conduct on people. i am a firm believer in complete inner and outer freedom of the individual.

having said that, if we are spiritual at all we have touched our own hearts, we know pain and we know suffering, and we know that we share this with every man women and child, having done so, knowing that life is always presenting something new, and we can never anticipate what to expect, then we approach every moment with a fresh outlook and let the harmonious balance of an open and compassionate heart and a reasonable and honest mind guide our actions. The world presents the experience spontaneously, we reply in turn spontaneously.

in this i put full trust.

Does this mean we will always act skillfully? Does it mean our actions will always please those around us? I think on both counts the answer is self evident, of course not. But thats okay!. So long as we inhabit these bodies, so to will we make mistakes. Thus acceptance within ourselves and towards others in this matter of our shared humanness is of paramount importance. We are built to stand, built to fall, and built to take it all in stride with a big cheesy grin.

in the final stanza as far as i am concerned, children need to be told how to conduct themselves, a grown man (and women) does not, for better or worse, do what you will, you are free, no strings attached. Are we up to the task of complete freedom, from outer rule, or inside ideal? Can we handle this vast responsibility?

I think we can, no, i dont think we can, i know we can!

im glad you asked this question, i have never really thought about it.

thanks again

kavon

BlueSky
25-04-2011, 06:19 PM
i think its counterproductive to put up even the subtlest rules of conduct on people. i am a firm believer in inner and outer freedom of the individual.

having said that, if we are spiritual at all we have touched our own hearts, having done so, knowing that life is always presenting something new, and we can never anticipate what to expect, then we approach every moment with a fresh outlook and let the harmonious balance of an open and compassionate heart and a reasonable and honest mind guide our actions. The world presents the experience spontaneously, we reply in turn spontaneously.

in this i put full trust.

Does this mean we will always act skillfully? Does it mean our actions will always please those around us? I think on both counts the answer is self evident, of course not. But thats okay!. So long as we inhabit these bodies, so to will we make mistakes. Thus acceptance within ourselves and towards others in this matter is of paramount importance. We are built to stand, built to fall, and built to take it all in stride with a big cheesy grin.

in the final stanza as far as i am concerned, children need to be told how to conduct themselves, a grown man (and women) do not, for better or worse.

im glad you asked this question, i have never really thought about it.

thanks again

kavon

Ditto.........:smile:

Greenslade
26-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Spiritual people should look like real gone New Age hippies and behave as though they're spaced out all the time. A bit like Lady Gaga with with a nice hat.

If people ask about what you believe don't be scared to tell them, but use a little discernment at the same time. Keep an eye open for the look on their faces that says 'basket case alert. Danger! Danger!' And don't go on a quest to convert them, that's a Path that leads to a good slap :-)

As Spiritual people, maybe we should realise that it's not our job to convert the world and his cat to our cause, that everyone has their own Path and they're doing what they need to do - the same as we are. There will be people who cross our Path, some of them will embrace Spirituality with all their Hearts and others will shun it like it's a weird cult. We can only do what we can only do. We play our part accordingly.

Be yourself, there's none better. Keep your values and beliefs and keep on doing whatever it is you're doing. If it's wonderful to you, then why try and change that? It won't feel quite so wonderful when someone throws it all back in your face, but then you learn to deal with that. What you are is a candle in the darkness, and if enough burn brightly together that's a lot of Light.

blackfellawhitefella
26-04-2011, 07:27 AM

how you are (naturally) built to behave

arive nan
26-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Spiritual people should be held to, and hold themselves to the same general standards as everyone. Most of us are not going to be perfect according to society's ideas of perfection, whatever perfect might be. Holding us to a much higher and unrealistic standard leads to conflicts. Some opponents of spirituality point to every little imperfection they perceive as evidence that we are lying when we describe ourselves as spiritual. I'd like it if the world at large were more aware that we are simply people who are interested in trying to follow a spiritual path, and we do not need to be perfect according to their definition of that, whatever that is, to qualify.

It is also a problem when people regard themselves or others as above the general guidelines of acceptable behaviour, or decide that those guidelines don't apply to someone because they are so spiritual. I see this happen on here occasionally. People make elaborate nondual sounding excuses for judging, insulting, etc and at the same time accuse others of judging and insulting. But their judging and insulting is okay because they are so enlightened and all that it's not actually a bad thing when they do it. It's only judging and insulting when the other not-enlightened-enough people do the same thing :sad7:. Which really just means that they are claiming that status to avoid being held accountable for their actions. So it's another way that creating a different set of standards for a group of people causes conflict.

BlueSky
26-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Spiritual people should look like real gone New Age hippies and behave as though they're spaced out all the time. A bit like Lady Gaga with with a nice hat.

If people ask about what you believe don't be scared to tell them, but use a little discernment at the same time. Keep an eye open for the look on their faces that says 'basket case alert. Danger! Danger!' And don't go on a quest to convert them, that's a Path that leads to a good slap :-)

As Spiritual people, maybe we should realise that it's not our job to convert the world and his cat to our cause, that everyone has their own Path and they're doing what they need to do - the same as we are. There will be people who cross our Path, some of them will embrace Spirituality with all their Hearts and others will shun it like it's a weird cult. We can only do what we can only do. We play our part accordingly.

Be yourself, there's none better. Keep your values and beliefs and keep on doing whatever it is you're doing. If it's wonderful to you, then why try and change that? It won't feel quite so wonderful when someone throws it all back in your face, but then you learn to deal with that. What you are is a candle in the darkness, and if enough burn brightly together that's a lot of Light.

Funny AND wise! Nice post IMO! :smile:

unus supra
26-04-2011, 05:15 PM
well said Greenslade.

i still dont know how to do quotes on this thing.

Miss Hepburn
26-04-2011, 05:53 PM
unus,
Try this - click onto "quote" - on the bottom right ----then, say, you just want to quote a sentence of theirs --- delete all around that sentence.
Good luck.
:smile:
PS I was feeling a little sassy yesterday - sometimes I get that way.

blackfellawhitefella
27-04-2011, 02:42 AM
... opponents of spirituality point to every little imperfection they perceive as evidence that we are lying when we describe ourselves as spiritual.

funny aye .

i give em .... we're just ordinary people doing ordinary things , ordinarily well

.... or change ordinarily for extraordinarily ... if the moment receives it

Shabda
27-04-2011, 02:54 AM
i dont know, but as soon as i become a "spiritual person" perhaps i will have an opinion about this...and if so, i would be glad to share it

Uma
27-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Ok my 2cents... I have a lot more patience with people who act badly out of ignorance (Father forgive them they know not what they do) than I do for so-called "spiritual" people who know better but are nasty anyway. We are all equals in the light, but knowing one is light gives power and when that person abuses that power it does a lot more damage than for the ordinary sleepwalking person ( think Darth Vadar)

athribiristan
27-04-2011, 05:00 AM
I rarely behave....:D

Simon Karlos
27-04-2011, 05:03 AM
:tongue: DON'T behave like that lunatic "Simon Karlos," that's for sure!

Sundialed
27-04-2011, 05:19 AM
listen to the love coming from your heart, ask again, ask again, listen, listen, act

Greenslade
27-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Thanks, Shaman and Unus. A touch of a smile doesn't do any harm in places. :-)

With you on that one, Arive. You're always going to get some abrasiveness when you mix beliefs - it happens sometimes on here as well. Which does surprise me I must admit. Spiritual people would be the last to be abrasive, one would have thought. Sometimes people who see themselves as Spiritual might well also perceive they have to act/think/set themselves apart for some strange reason. I believe we're all Spiritual - aren't we Spirit on a human Journey after all?

By the way Unus, when you do your quotes leave the stuff in the [] brackets intact both beginning and end, but as Miss says you can take out whatever else in between rather than have the whole complete message. And seeing as how you didn't know how to quote, do you know what to do with a kettle? Two sugars and milk thanks :-)

Why should Spiritual people act any different to other people? Do they see themselves as different or do they want to set themselves apart? Sounds like Separation to me.