PDA

View Full Version : The King's Speech

Deusdrum
23-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I'm not one to jump on all the Oscar hype necessarily, but to me the relationship between Colin Firth and his speech therapist was absolutely beautiful. That was what made the movie to me. I think Colin Firth is a genius of an actor, and Geoffory Rush was up to the task. The interaction between these two was everything imo. Beautifully done.

Squatchit
23-04-2011, 02:58 PM
Hiya Big D

I saw it at the cinema a couple of months ago. Thought it was wonderful. I love that the film focused on the relationship of the King and his therapist. And yes, Colin Firth played the role superbly.

There are some very funny bits too.

10 out of 10 for me. :smile:

Squatch

Deusdrum
24-04-2011, 02:18 AM
That part Squatch where Rush is sitting on that wooden throne and Firth is just incensed, and Rush was all, "why, why should l listen to you?" and Firth was like, "because i have a VOICE!"

ooooooohhh chills. My goodness, that was one of the best delivered lines, single words even (voice) i have ever witnessed in a movie. Wow. Love Colin Firth, that duo worked so well together. Alot of the rest was extraneous to me in a way, but sufficient.

Even the background of a king giving a speech, yes, important in its way, but i'm not sure in the context of all that was going on at that time, how important it was, (though it may have been, i could be underestimating the importance of speeches in that time period) but to me the inner struggle and triumph of Firth with Rush was everything, though i suppose it cannot be divided from the role he provided for his country at the time either.

Actually, i take part of that back, in the beginning it is heart breaking watching him try to give that first speech, so it all worked together very well now that i consider it. Still, the heart of it was that main relationship. Obviously it was meant to be when they wrote it, but yeah. Success.

Squatchit
09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
I was out food shopping today and spotted it on DVD at a fairly reasonable price. On impulse I bought it for my parents. I think they'll love it.

As a surprise I stopped by their place on my way home to drop it off.

They were apathetic about the whole thing. Especially my Mum (haven't we seen it already Dad?).

I may as well have walked in with a tin of magnolia paint. :rolleyes:

Parents.

Spiritlite
12-05-2011, 01:29 AM
Yes we bought it on DVD the day it came out and we LOVED it, the relationship between everyone was beautiful, the acting lovely, the way you feel such empathy for the king and his stutter and how it really really harmed him but mostly the relationship with the king and the 'speech therapist' just really was beautiful, highly recommend you guys watch it.
Spiritlite.