PDA

View Full Version : Am I An Old Soul?

A19White
22-04-2011, 05:18 AM
I was wondering what are the signs/symptoms of an old soul? I'm 20 years old and I have the feeling that I'm an old soul. That I've walked this earth many many times, i honestly feel that I've been here since the beginning of human civilization. I am very mature for my age, most of my friends are in their 30's, i have blue eyes (heard that is a sign of an old soul) and i also feel that i am wise. I'm a fairly reserved person and I feel very grounded and in the moment most of the time. Can anyone tell me if I'm an old soul?

ROM
22-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Almost everyone is an old soul. I think it would be more uncommon to find a young soul than an old one, hehe. But who really knows? I'm sure there are mediums or psychics who could tell you otherwise.

A19White
22-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Hmm interesting. And yea i guess i could ask a psychic, im actually interested in seeing one.

Blaze
22-04-2011, 06:10 AM
Wish anybody could exactly know what 'Soul' really is.

A19White
22-04-2011, 06:13 AM
I believe the best way to describe the soul is this: pure awareness, consciousness or stillness. Think of these as pointers, pointing to what the soul is. I say this because i think its impossible to really explain the soul.

ROM
22-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Ahh, well the difference between the Soul and the Spirit is that the Soul is more of the covering/garment/vessel for the Spirit, just as the physical body is a vessel for the Soul. The Spirit is your essence, your true being.

Smiler
22-04-2011, 06:20 AM
Hi A19White

I heard once that yes there are old souls so to speak ..but some may incarnate thousands of times ..repeating lessons over and over.
I have heard there are new souls too ..funny only hear that one when an adult says it to another adult for immaturity.

Does it matter ? I ask that question politely .

Love and blessings
:)

Xan
22-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Soul is what you really are, whereas your body, mind, personality and history are only your surface self... a character you play on the world stage.

Your soul is permanent and everything else you perceive and experience is temporary and changing.

Your soul is your consciousness, which witnesses all that goes on in and around you.

Your soul is silent beingness and pure love.

Better than ideas about Soul you can discover it directly, experientially, through meditation. Here's a hint: Look for the quiet open space within yourself... and go into that.

Xan

TheReason
22-04-2011, 06:24 AM
The amount of times you've been on earth is irrelevant. Someone that has been around many more times than another person could be farther behind on their spiritual path. It's all in the lessons we've learned. Most of all, when we learn compassion, kindness and living without ego is most important. Time is an illusion. Instead of spending time on searching for answers if you are an old soul or not, grow yourself spiritually, and let go of the ego self. The ego self tries to put you above others, and makes you want to be more "spiritual" than others. In truth, it doesn't matter. We are all one, and no one is above anyone else. Use your spirituality and compassion to show others the same, that is our purpose here.

Shabda
22-04-2011, 06:25 AM
how does an entity that exists beyond time,space, matter and energy have an age?

Shabda
22-04-2011, 06:27 AM
what makes you believe that you cannot? you can, plain and simple...

Blaze
22-04-2011, 06:33 AM
what makes you believe that you cannot? you can, plain and simple...
Sucha so called infinite entity cannot be explained 'plain' and 'simple' as far as I'm concerned. And by 'infinite entity' I mean the way some others try to explain the soul. To me if there is such thing as 'soul' and it's such a 'pureness' then only the very very pure individuals can understand it. Covering everything with the mask of 'love' just for the sake of giving it a good willing personality is not the answer.

A19White
22-04-2011, 06:33 AM
how does an entity that exists beyond time,space, matter and energy have an age?

I love this. I wasn't looking at it like this.

Smiler
22-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Maybe a Soul just .."IS"

Shabda ..wonderful answer :)
Quote:

XOX

Shabda
22-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Sucha so called infinite entity cannot be explained 'plain' and 'simple' as far as I'm concerned. And by 'infinite entity' I mean the way some others try to explain the soul. To me if there is such thing as 'soul' and it's such a 'pureness' then only the very very pure individuals can understand it. Covering everything with the mask of 'love' just for the sake of giving it a good willing personality is not the answer. this is the limitation that you choose to put on it, that has no bearing on my experience, i have viewed life through the eye of my soul, and in doing so have seen every other soul in existence, as soul...i can use any number of terms to attempt to describe what that is like, but words are mental placards, nothing more...soul exists beyond the mind, so words fail to describe the experience of what it is....do not limit yourself, no words will be good enough for you, the only thing that will be is to expand your awareness until you are able to BE soul, and be conscious of it, and when you have accomplished this, you wont be able to explain it with words in a way that truly describes the experience...nor will you speak of soul as a "so called" anything...

Blaze
22-04-2011, 06:50 AM
this is the limitation that you choose to put on it, that has no bearing on my experience, i have viewed life through the eye of my soul, and in doing so have seen every other soul in existence, as soul...i can use any number of terms to attempt to describe what that is like, but words are mental placards, nothing more...soul exists beyond the mind, so words fail to describe the experience of what it is....do not limit yourself, no words will be good enough for you, the only thing that will be is to expand your awareness until you are able to BE soul, and be conscious of it, and when you have accomplished this, you wont be able to explain it with words in a way that truly describes the experience...nor will you speak of soul as a "so called" anything...
Actually what you say is almost all my sentiment as well. I never try to put soul into words. And I'm totally agreed with your first post in this thread as well.

Shabda
22-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Maybe a Soul just .."IS"

Shabda ..wonderful answer :)
Quote:

XOX
yes, it simply is, and i would add that it IS a Divine Spark...

Shabda
22-04-2011, 06:54 AM
Actually what you say is almost all my sentiment as well. I never try to put soul into words. And I'm totally agreed with your first post in this thread as well.
well then, you said it better than i did, and using less words :D

Perspective
22-04-2011, 09:31 AM
The amount of times you've been on earth is irrelevant. Someone that has been around many more times than another person could be farther behind on their spiritual path. It's all in the lessons we've learned. Most of all, when we learn compassion, kindness and living without ego is most important. Time is an illusion. Instead of spending time on searching for answers if you are an old soul or not, grow yourself spiritually, and let go of the ego self. The ego self tries to put you above others, and makes you want to be more "spiritual" than others. In truth, it doesn't matter. We are all one, and no one is above anyone else. Use your spirituality and compassion to show others the same, that is our purpose here.So well put! I really resonated with this. :smile:

Besides, who wants to act "old"?
Youthful is more inspiring!
:hello2:
YOUTHFUL - Energetic, lively, full of hope & excitement!
Acting on one's true nature - loving without judgement. Trying without fear.
Bounces back easily, determined to succeed!
Quick to laugh, to experience, to learn, to say sorry, to love, to grow...
Finds miracles & joy in everything!

ROM
22-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Aye, well put perspective! I see you have some good...PERSPECTIVE...on life! :D

Greenslade
22-04-2011, 01:28 PM
I was wondering what are the signs/symptoms of an old soul? I'm 20 years old and I have the feeling that I'm an old soul. That I've walked this earth many many times, i honestly feel that I've been here since the beginning of human civilization. I am very mature for my age, most of my friends are in their 30's, i have blue eyes (heard that is a sign of an old soul) and i also feel that i am wise. I'm a fairly reserved person and I feel very grounded and in the moment most of the time. Can anyone tell me if I'm an old soul?
Sounds about right :-)

'Old Souls' have been round the block a few times, a better analogy is maturity but even that's not quite right.

The amount of times you've been on earth is irrelevant. Someone that has been around many more times than another person could be farther behind on their spiritual path. It's all in the lessons we've learned. Most of all, when we learn compassion, kindness and living without ego is most important. Time is an illusion. Instead of spending time on searching for answers if you are an old soul or not, grow yourself spiritually, and let go of the ego self. The ego self tries to put you above others, and makes you want to be more "spiritual" than others. In truth, it doesn't matter. We are all one, and no one is above anyone else. Use your spirituality and compassion to show others the same, that is our purpose here.
Give that Pathfinder a prize.

yes, it simply is, and i would add that it IS a Divine Spark...
It's your Soul, you work it out.

Shabda
22-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Sounds about right :-)

'Old Souls' have been round the block a few times, a better analogy is maturity but even that's not quite right. yes i know this

Give that Pathfinder a prize.

It's your Soul, you work it out.
i have...:wink:

zipzip
22-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I love this thread.

I understand what you mean about being an old soul. One of my kids is an old soul; an older soul than me. I just feel it.

zipzip

pre-dawn
23-04-2011, 02:05 AM
I was wondering what are the signs/symptoms of an old soul?
Being an old soul, or wanting or needing to be one, is an affliction of a young ego.

A19White
23-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Being an old soul, or wanting or needing to be one, is an affliction of a young ego.

I don't want or need to be an old soul. I just feel that I am one. That's all.

Xan
23-04-2011, 04:01 AM
White... If you feel you are most likely you are. In fact, young souls generally wouldn't ask the question at all.

A sign of an old soul, one who's been around the block more than a few times, is being interested in the "more" beyond ordinary life. Does that fit?

Xan

in progress
23-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Ha! I was just going to say the same thing Xan just said.

I heard someone say recently and I felt it was right on the mark. If you pose the question like you did, "I suspect this is true, do you really think it is?" Most likely it's true and your intuition is correct.

Greenslade
23-04-2011, 02:51 PM
i have...:wink:
Hurrah :-)

I just feel it.
zipzip
Bingo!

For most Old Souls I've met, they've had something nagging inside of them that makes them wonder if they're more than just a bag of water walking around. For most it's not simply curiosity or the hope that there's some more profound reason for Life, the Universe and Everything. It's usually around a deeper connection to their Souls, while some may see their Soul as being something inside of them or whatever view they take, the 'Old Souls' usually - usually - just know. Believing there's a link between body and Soul is one thing, but understanding it is something else entirely. I'm not sure if it's so much as being interested in there being more, Xan, from what I've heard it's about knowing there is.

Miss Hepburn
23-04-2011, 03:55 PM
The amount of times you've been on earth is irrelevant. Someone that has been around many more
times than another person could be farther behind on their spiritual path. It's all in the lessons we've learned. Most of all,
when we learn compassion, kindness and living without ego is most important. Time is an illusion. Instead of spending
time on searching for answers if you are an old soul or not, grow yourself spiritually, and let go of the ego self.
The ego self tries to put you above others, and makes you want to be more "spiritual" than others. In truth,
it doesn't matter. We are all one, and no one is above anyone else. Use your spirituality and compassion to show
others the same, that is our purpose here.I've never read anything by you before this is good stuff.
:hug2:

A19White
23-04-2011, 06:44 PM
White... If you feel you are most likely you are. In fact, young souls generally wouldn't ask the question at all.

A sign of an old soul, one who's been around the block more than a few times, is being interested in the "more" beyond ordinary life. Does that fit?

Xan

"more" beyond ordinary life fits perfectly, thanks for this post.

Enya
23-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Instead of thinking 'old' soul, why not think 'experienced' soul? :smile:

zipzip
24-04-2011, 01:22 AM
[For most Old Souls I've met, they've had something nagging inside of them that makes them wonder if they're more than just a bag of water walking around. For most it's not simply curiosity or the hope that there's some more profound reason for Life, the Universe and Everything. It's usually around a deeper connection to their Souls, while some may see their Soul as being something inside of them or whatever view they take, the 'Old Souls' usually - usually - just know. Believing there's a link between body and Soul is one thing, but understanding it is something else entirely. I'm not sure if it's so much as being interested in there being more, Xan, from what I've heard it's about knowing there is.[/QUOTE]

Greenslade, I love it!!!! zipzip

zipzip
24-04-2011, 01:24 AM
[For most Old Souls I've met, they've had something nagging inside of them that makes them wonder if they're more than just a bag of water walking around. For most it's not simply curiosity or the hope that there's some more profound reason for Life, the Universe and Everything. It's usually around a deeper connection to their Souls, while some may see their Soul as being something inside of them or whatever view they take, the 'Old Souls' usually - usually - just know. Believing there's a link between body and Soul is one thing, but understanding it is something else entirely. I'm not sure if it's so much as being interested in there being more, Xan, from what I've heard it's about knowing there is.[/QUOTE]

Greenslade, I love it!!!! I think you just know. You don't need to question it. My daughter is the old soul. She would never question it.

I apologize for the double post.
zipzip

Sangress
24-04-2011, 01:32 AM
I think from an average perspective, any soul whose lived a life here more than twice would be considered old...since it would have far outlived a single human life.

To me an old soul is simply someone who understands where they have been, who has experienced at least one of their pervious lives and learned and gained knowledge from it.

Age means nothing, experience means everything.

Rah nam
24-04-2011, 02:05 AM
The concept of young and old souls most likely comes from the Michael teachings. It might be still available on the net somewhere.
I know it is pigeonholing the development of a soul, and a soul does develop, when we look at the point of becoming and individual soul at the entry of 3D as the starting point of a souls development and the exit point of 4D as the end of the development. (at least for the individual soul)
Those I understand as young souls are in their middle phase of their development. Most politicians I would see as young, where I would see most artists as more mature in their development.
This concept has helped me to understand why certain people do what they do, and act the way they act. And it would be quite pointless to try to convince them otherwise. They will not understand.
And we all have been there and done it, if in fact we are past their point of development.

Rah nam

Xan
24-04-2011, 04:24 AM
Believing there's a link between body and Soul is one thing, but understanding it is something else entirely. I'm not sure if it's so much as being interested in there being more, Xan, from what I've heard it's about knowing there is.

Well, my friend, being interested comes before discovering and knowing, does it not? :smile:

Xan

MoonDancer
24-04-2011, 05:40 AM
I feel old, I always have. I feel like that I have been through so much more than I remember.
As for the who is old and young soul? Wow who knows? Maybe its like a video game? Some of us leveled up when we died but some are still stuck on level one.

pre-dawn
24-04-2011, 06:56 AM
No matter how it is said, noting Enya's suggestion, any claim to being different is an ego thing.

A19White
24-04-2011, 07:01 AM
I feel old, I always have. I feel like that I have been through so much more than I remember.
As for the who is old and young soul? Wow who knows? Maybe its like a video game? Some of us leveled up when we died but some are still stuck on level one.

this is an interesting way of looking at it. I've heard it said that some people repeat lives learning the same lessons over and over. While others experience new lessons and have very different experiences.

I believe it is possible that before we're born we choose which life we want to live and who we want to live it with. I am convinced (have an inner knowing) that my girlfriend and i have chosen this life together before we came to it. I also have an inner knowing that we have spent previous lifes together in the past. we have been together since we were 13 and i am now 20 and she will be 20 soon as well. we have an unbreakable love which we both agree feels ancient. we love each other unconditionally and have been through what would have drove most people apart forever. Im truely blessed to have her in my life, i know it was no accident or by luck.

MoonDancer
24-04-2011, 07:05 AM
No matter how it is said, noting Enya's suggestion, any claim to being different is an ego thing.
That's way too broad a generalization
We are all different.
But yes, some have this "I am different and more special than anyone else, like a rare flower" type of attitude about it.

A19White
24-04-2011, 07:09 AM
That's way too broad a generalization
We are all different.
But yes, some have this "I am different and more special than anyone else, like a rare flower" type of attitude about it.

i just want to be clear that this isn't how i feel at all. i am no better or worse than anyone else.

MoonDancer
24-04-2011, 07:21 AM
i just want to be clear that this isn't how i feel at all. i am no better or worse than anyone else.
I didn't mean to insinuate that about you. I totally understand if you feel different. Some people just do. I was just saying that just because some people feel more different than others it doesn't automatically mean they think they better than anyone else. I think when people feel different they are just recognizing everyone's differences easier.

Seven
24-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Old soul is under the pretense that time is "real". It's generally believed that there is only "now" a single moment in which everything is happening, that motion is in a way somewhat of an illusion. What we assume to be the past is just our memories which are simply a collection of imaginations serving as recordings of the "past" which is really within the moment.

So there are no old souls but an infinite number of new souls, and to use the term "old soul" is also under the pretense that there is a hierarchy of wisdom/knowledge, a higher/lower position in which your soul stands, if there was a hierarchy it would be on an infinite scale. Wondering if you are an old soul is a way of asking "am I as wise and powerful as I'd hope to be?" Although it's just my opinion I'd say its better to let go of such titles and ideas of "being unique"...such as this "indigo children" mess. I see countless people profoundly more interested in being a star child, an angel/demon incarnate, an old soul, having a "twin flame", and having an all powerful and ancient spirit guide named "Asatrothos the mighty" than being interested in learning to experience a greater love for themselves as they are in any given way (which is not "better" but a much more practical way of experiencing the emotional and egoistic satisfaction we desire). Although there is nothing wrong with this and it's entertaining and a capably interesting way to play with our emotions, it's rooted in a series of limited beliefs that make us assume we can be "better" and that being and having anything less than this or that is insufficient and less worth loving, the more attraction and concern you show to being these supernatural things the more you are neglecting yourself in the here and now and staving off the coming to acknowledgement that you are already omnipotent (on second thought learning the hard way [experiential way] is the best, if not the only way, so nevermind me and seek your curiosity :)

Westleigh
24-04-2011, 10:23 PM
Seven, your post made me laugh... thank you. :smile:

While the point about time being an illusion is a good one, it is also an illusion we choose to experience because through it we can understand our own growth and spiritual progression, and I think it's a normal part of the process of spiritual awakening to try to figure out where we're at and where we've come from. So is curiosity about who and where we have been before. It's not necessarily about the ego (though as this kind of curiosity tends to arrive at the beginning of the spiritual journey, it would be normal for that to be involved a little).

A19, there is only one person in this forum who can give you answers about your spirit self and how experienced it is, and that's you! It's true that your intuition on the matter is probably correct. And while others can suggest techniques you can use to help you on your way, understanding things like this is all about your own relationship with spirit; you have a fascinating journey of discovery ahead of you and you should enjoy every moment. :smile:

Seven
25-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Haha thanks, making people laugh is one of my favorite hobbies :)

I AM
25-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Soul is not old or young its a concept. If you want to experience what you are stop thinking about it. You are all that is and that is not expressable. Thinking is and languaging are wonderful activities and I have found this thread to be inspiring but you are not somthing, you simply are all that you are.

Startingagain84
25-04-2011, 04:01 PM
When they say 'old soul'...could they possibly be meaning a soul that has evolved, or developed to a great extent? That their life lessons have been learnt and the souls development has progressed well? Are they meaning a wise soul? 'An old soul' as some have taken it to mean in respect of length of time, and how many i carnations the soul has experienced, might be wrong, as I have read that 'time' is a very solid, human experience. The spirit world, which functions on a higher vibration, has no sence of time.

I sound quite unintelligent...but I am tired! lol, sorry. x

Greenslade
25-04-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, my friend, being interested comes before discovering and knowing, does it not? :smile:

Xan
Oh yes, indeedy. Being interested is like packing your suitcase.