PDA

View Full Version : I keep looking for outside help

Cumbria
20-04-2011, 10:58 PM
I don't know WHY but I always look for outside help in a sense that I'm always expecting other people or some one to "change" me. I'm lazy, overweight, I play far too many computer games and study far too less but I'm always expecting some one else to "fix" me or show me how to "fix" my self. There's a part of me that's crying out for spiritual development but another part that would rather do nothing.

Where can I find this strength and motivation? I notice the irony of this question, this post almost seems insane :P

Silver
20-04-2011, 11:06 PM
I guess it's a matter of tipping the scales from the comfy status quo of videogames and the lazy way to feeling this new way you're reaching for of 'fixing' yourself from being lazy, overweight and getting a stronger sense of your spiritual nature and self. I guess it would be your will to nudge it in that new direction.

GentleStrength
20-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I've been there and know what you are talking about. It is EASY to be lazy and just kind of float along without working on yourself or your spirituality. Overall though it just isn't very fulfilling, or at least wasn't for me. Once I found out that a little bit of effort into self-realization turned into a lot of fun and feelings of fulfillment, it was kind of hard to stop! :D

It isn't something that you HAVE to do, it is a hell of a ride though. If you wait for others to do it for you, be prepared for a long wait! :D

Wishing you the best in whatever you end up doing.

Love and Light

Cumbria
20-04-2011, 11:16 PM
I know only I can help myself but I don't know where all my will power and motivation has gone

Cumbria
20-04-2011, 11:20 PM
Wishing you the best in whatever you end up doing

Thanks :) I hope it's something wild, where I can't get into my cycle, I should sell my computer and use the money to spend a few months doing volunteer work with another culture!

Silvergirl thanks for the posts you've been making on my threads, I apreaciate the help :D

Simon Karlos
20-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't know WHY but I always look for outside help in a sense that I'm always expecting other people or some one to "change" me. I'm lazy, overweight, I play far too many computer games and study far too less but I'm always expecting some one else to "fix" me or show me how to "fix" my self. There's a part of me that's crying out for spiritual development but another part that would rather do nothing.

Where can I find this strength and motivation? I notice the irony of this question, this post almost seems insane :P

You are very honest about your current feelings on this matter, and that is certainly VERY healthy and productive. Your feelings, your thoughts, remember, don't define your Authentic Self, so contemplating this idea alone for a little while would be very helpful. Pleased to meet you here, and I wish you all the best, my friend. You are Beautiful; practice feeling this True Beauty. If you wish, I just finished writing an article for SF that is essentially about this same situation that you mentioned, which I titled "Focusing on Soul-utions, Not 'Problems,'" and I posted it in the General Beliefs forum for anyone who'd be drawn to read it. Blessings! :hug2:

tragblack
20-04-2011, 11:23 PM
I don't know WHY but I always look for outside help in a sense that I'm always expecting other people or some one to "change" me.

The fact that you recognize this in yourself, though, means that you are beginning to take the steps to change! :hug:

Where can I find this strength and motivation?

I used to ask this question of myself all the time. Still do, sometimes. What helped immensely was starting to keep a list of all my goals and desires as soon as I thought of them. Soon, of course, the list got very big, but I am still working on it, and I am much closer to my goals, both spiritual and otherwise. Even tiny steps make a difference in the long run, believe me! I go through the list every day, taking care of different things as I feel like it. I really do get some progress done, and I feel a lot better about my life than I used to!

Silver
20-04-2011, 11:24 PM
Yw Cumbria, I was going to say keep us posted, but if you sell your 'puter you'll have to find another way to do that lol. Maybe just save your money, for a while. Here's hoping you get that a-ha moment soon.

innerlight
20-04-2011, 11:34 PM

Many people are in similar shoes. Hoping that someone will come down and save the day, or be ones savior for them. If you had someone come down and help you, or someone cross your path. There is nothing they can do to make you do anything you don't want to.

You are taking the first step you feel there is something that needs to be changed. That is good. Not many can see that first step. The next step is the hurdle and that is taking the next step in actually making the changes that you need to life a better life. No one can do that for you. If you feel you play too many video games, then none but you can stop it.. If you feel you are over weight then only you can change your diet. Not counting a dietician helping you create a healthy diet. Only you can follow it.

Now don't get this confused with support groups. As they can be a great asset in helping you stay on your path, and stay consistent. Only you, however, can walk the walk.

To really make the changes you have to really want them. Not because someone else wants you to, but because you want to. Don't force the changes. Don't decide to cut off outside contact, or sell off your video games, and what have you. Restricting, and forcing it to happen may result in you failing, and become worse. It's best to work slowly, one step at a time, and do it in moderation. There is nothing wrong with a treat for yourself every now and then. Only when it becomes an addiction is it a concern.

Cumbria
21-04-2011, 12:05 AM
You are very honest about your current feelings on this matter, and that is certainly VERY healthy and productive. Your feelings, your thoughts, remember, don't define your Authentic Self, so contemplating this idea alone for a little while would be very helpful. Pleased to meet you here, and I wish you all the best, my friend. You are Beautiful; practice feeling this True Beauty. If you wish, I just finished writing an article for SF that is essentially about this same situation that you mentioned, which I titled "Focusing on Soul-utions, Not 'Problems,'" and I posted it in the General Beliefs forum for anyone who'd be drawn to read it. Blessings! :hug2:

Thanks, I realise how being honest with myself is important, if I was denying it then where would that lead me later on down the river? Not a beach that's for sure :color:. I'll read your article, thanks :)

but if you sell your 'puter you'll have to find another way to do that lol.

I TAKE IT BACK, not selling :P

Spiritlite
21-04-2011, 03:13 PM
It's hard to break old habits, they say it takes 40 days to break a habit. I write a list the night before the next day "swim, yoga for an hour, clean up this bookshelf, go shopping, meditate etc" maybe you can make a list for your spirituality and make sure you get it done then maybe you won't feel lazy.
Spiritlite.

themaster
21-04-2011, 03:44 PM

Where can I find this strength and motivation? I notice the irony of this question, this post almost seems insaneI've kind of been where you are..

After studying both bashar and abraham in late 2009 I wanted to create my dream.. and I didn't know how.. I asked the universe to show me how..

But nothing exactly was coming forth.. until by weird *coincidence* later my sister angie called me to Minneapolis to buy a house I never wanted.. and I ran into my present teacher through a meetup on meetup.com :D

And I honestly thought I was going to hear about changing "lead to gold" in fact I apologized profusely to my sister cause I dragged her with me.. and she was bored or just yah know not too exactly happy :D

If I were you.. I'd study "new age" on the side.. that's what I did from 2006-2009.. I would recommend listening to teachers abraham or bashar on youtube.. they always lighten my spirit.. lift the load.. it's because they run that kind of vibration :smile:

You’re not the only who plays video games k..?? I play games such as civ4, Call of Duty 6, Kings Bounty, Heroes of Might and Magic (most of e'm)

And I watch whole tv series/movies.. like BattleStar Galatica, Lost, Inception, No Reservations.. and what have you!

Also let me come back to the point.. you said "I don't know WHY but I always look for outside help"

What resonates for me about this statement.. is that's what I needed when I manifested up my teacher in 2009.. when I asked the universe for help you see.. I studied "new age" for 3 years to that point.. but I was ready to take "action" (maybe you’re not) but I didn't want to meditate.. (to me meditation seems stupid.. come to earth so you can spend all your time meditating to get back home? Please.. :rolleyes:)

So when I met my teacher.. and he said imagine this, "close your eyes" I'm going to point you to this energy and this energy.. well let's just say my teacher is a MASTER teacher of guided meditations.. so there is a teacher out there that can FIX you.. (many really!) but you will have to take steps to get there if you want that magic "fix" I can be that teacher if you want..? (don't bother me!) I teach quite a few people from time to time :)

So if you can't get there.. I recommend baby steps.. do "new age" on the side.. once in a while.. hop on youtube and listen to teachers like abraham-hicks and bashar.. every time you listen.. they will make you feel good! Least that worked for me! :DI guess it's a matter of tipping the scales from the comfy status quo of videogames and the lazy way to feeling this new way you're reaching for of 'fixing' yourself from being lazy, overweight and getting a stronger sense of your spiritual nature and self. I guess it would be your will to nudge it in that new direction.Yah, I would call that in a word balance :)

Silver
21-04-2011, 03:53 PM
:DYah, I would call that in a word balance :)

Well ~ NOT ~ I was thinking in terms of a shift, perhaps a paradigm shift if you will~* It's not about staying the same, which would suggest balance, nudging something to effect something new and helpful is more of a dynamic thingy, lol. The fellow needs change, I believe...
:smile:

themaster
21-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Well ~ NOT ~ I was thinking in terms of a shift, perhaps a paradigm shift if you will~* It's not about staying the same, which would suggest balance, nudging something to effect something new and helpful is more of a dynamic thingy, lol. The fellow needs change, I believe...
:smile:People don't play video games.. cause their borred.. of working spiritual.. they play cause it's the best thing they can think to do in the moment that's fun..

It's not uncommon for people to "let's say" call video games bad.. I can't get anything done cause I keep doing this habit I say "is bad" yet they keep doing it.. yah know.. like smoking? :D

No, I'm not sure I agree with you Silvergirl then..

To come from where you at.. to where you want to go.. you need balance..

And you don't want to go from one state to another.. without validating that what you were doing before was OKAY.. a transition needs to take place.. and a validation needs to take place.. anything else.. and you’re not correcting the so called "problem"..

Basically, let me retranslate..

You can't have EFFECTIVE change.. if you don't validate where you’re at.. I was overweight.. and I want to be this weight.. but you can't get there if you’re in denial if what you’re doing.. the change won't happen.. because the denial (non-acceptance of self) won't let you..

So in essence I said for "Cumbria" to change he must be OKAY with these things that he called lazy and or bad.. if not.. he'll just cycle to call something NEW "lazy or bad" (this is my understanding)

Transition is balance.. and definitely doing what makes you happy :smile:

Silver
21-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Golly I said all that? That's what I get for not being as wordy as others!
I tend to go for shorter answers/responses and hope people go with the spirit of what I'm trying to say. But I'm fairly certain I wasn't trying to say all that much in my brief response, lol. I wasn't for a nanosecond putting down tv, video games, and the like, not at all. I think I was trying to say that the nudge is in his behaviors in general, attitude changes that allow him to be ok with doing things differently, to break out of the box he's finding himself in that he wants to change.

surrendertotheflow
21-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Golly I said all that? That's what I get for not being as wordy as others!
I tend to go for shorter answers/responses and hope people go with the spirit of what I'm trying to say. But I'm fairly certain I wasn't trying to say all that much in my brief response, lol. I wasn't for a nanosecond putting down tv, video games, and the like, not at all. I think I was trying to say that the nudge is in his behaviors in general, attitude changes that allow him to be ok with doing things differently, to break out of the box he's finding himself in that he wants to change.

I agree with both of you. You can't achieve the balance without change, change is always progress (as long as you think of it that way :D )

Change the video game habits so there is more balance between them and the rest of your life that is so worth living!!

I think of all the different aspects of life as different "cups"
grateful dead, ripple "reach out your hand if your cup be empty"

now all of my "cups" need to be balanced, i.e. family time, work/productive time, me time, volunteer time, spiritual time (meditation or reading), etc...

If one of those cups is too full, it usually means the others are too empty. If you keep them all balanced, your life will generally be more positive and fulfilling.

I myself, am guilty of unbalanced cups :confused3:

just take it one day at a time :hug3:

themaster
21-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Yah, I just figured out how to shorten it.. :D

You can't get change.. until you accept responsiblity for where your at!

See I converted the statements into fewer words! :DGolly I said all that?Kinda.. :tongue: I wasn't for a nanosecond putting down tv, video games, and the like, not at all.I didn't say that you did! :D

Silver
21-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Yah, I just figured out how to shorten it.. :D

You can't get change.. until you accept responsiblity for where your at!

See I converted the statements into fewer words! :D

I agree about accepting where one is at in order to change...

Gee, I am forever in your debt!
:wink: :tongue:

themaster
21-04-2011, 05:19 PM
I agree about accepting where one is at in order to change...

Gee, I am forever in your debt!
:wink: :tongue:lol :D (Ineedme10charachterstopost :tongue: )

surrendertotheflow
21-04-2011, 05:20 PM
“I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”

Silvergirl, love your new quote dear!!! :hug:

Cumbria
21-04-2011, 11:07 PM
It's been nice to read all the comments going backwards and forward.

The thing is I feel almost imprisoned by my current situation in life so I tend to bury my self in my games because of this, I always have when things aren't good. But because things aren't good I tend to not want to explore my spirituality. Maybe if I practise some meditating EVEN when I feel down each day and really stick to it then things will improve and like you all have said things will start to balance out and the cycle will begin to break. It's going to take a huge amount of will power but I kinda see it as an investment :P

themaster
22-04-2011, 12:05 AM
"meditating" works.. I might also recommend spiritual tools for walking around consciously..

You are the creator of your reality.. the spiritual path is video games.. it's lack if you want it to be.. I would not classify spiritual as just working on yourself.. (not a bad thing to do :tongue: )

But just saying.. really find ways to look for light, happiness, joy in your life.. if your dreading meditation.. I wouldn't bother.. though maybe you can get there.. (I don't meditate but I'm weirdly happy all the times.. what's that about? :rolleyes: :D )

(I do, do guided meditations so there’s a difference :smile: )

The best investment you can ever make is in yourself.. and it pays huge dividends! :D

NightSpirit
22-04-2011, 12:19 AM
It's been nice to read all the comments going backwards and forward.

The thing is I feel almost imprisoned by my current situation in life so I tend to bury my self in my games because of this, I always have when things aren't good. But because things aren't good I tend to not want to explore my spirituality. Maybe if I practise some meditating EVEN when I feel down each day and really stick to it then things will improve and like you all have said things will start to balance out and the cycle will begin to break. It's going to take a huge amount of will power but I kinda see it as an investment :P

Only you have the key to unlocking and escaping your prison. :smile:

surrendertotheflow
22-04-2011, 01:06 AM
"meditating" works.. I might also recommend spiritual tools for walking around consciously..

You are the creator of your reality.. the spiritual path is video games.. it's lack if you want it to be.. I would not classify spiritual as just working on yourself.. (not a bad thing to do

But just saying.. really find ways to look for light, happiness, joy in your life.. if your dreading meditation.. I wouldn't bother.. though maybe you can get there.. (I don't meditate but I'm weirdly happy all the times.. what's that about? :rolleyes: :D )

(I do, do guided meditations so there’s a difference :smile: )

The best investment you can ever make is in yourself.. and it pays huge dividends! :D

How does guided meditation work? I think I would be a lot better at it on my own if I started out with someone to "guide" me. But what exactly does that entail? Just someone talking to you telling you to breath in and out or imagine pretty scenes?? :cool:

surrendertotheflow
22-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Only you have the key to unlocking and escaping your prison. :smile:

You know, I say those kinds of things to my boyfriend, who is in a similar funk as the original thread poster, and he gets all frustrated, like he already knew that it is up to him, but he's still just so lost as to how to convince himself that he still feels hopeless. In turn, this makes me feel hopeless for him and I forget to reassure him. I never know what to say to someone who deliberately feels negative and bad about their life (not saying that's the case here, I'm speaking about my personal life) I know it's not his fault, and blaming never helps anyway, but it gets very frustrating when you are trying so hard to practice spiritually when he's negative to the spirit.

NightSpirit
22-04-2011, 01:22 AM
You know, I say those kinds of things to my boyfriend, who is in a similar funk as the original thread poster, and he gets all frustrated, like he already knew that it is up to him, but he's still just so lost as to how to convince himself that he still feels hopeless. In turn, this makes me feel hopeless for him and I forget to reassure him. I never know what to say to someone who deliberately feels negative and bad about their life (not saying that's the case here, I'm speaking about my personal life) I know it's not his fault, and blaming never helps anyway, but it gets very frustrating when you are trying so hard to practice spiritually when he's negative to the spirit.

Yes it can get frustrating, but you can't help someone else, only yourself.

There is all manner of 'resistance' we can throw down before us....or just throw up our hands and give in because that's way easier. The path of least resistance. lol ....but in the end it only serves to spiral one down even further into the pit and that makes it harder to climb out. We can't base our lives on what our partners feel or want, we can only meet half-way and take care of ourselves. It's not your job to enable him, even though you feel obliged to. You have enough to look after yourself. What you choose in life is what is projected outward to others and how you see yourself internally. If others find it difficult to connect to your own positive energy, then they will either change their own outlook or move on away.

Take care of you. Cheers

surrendertotheflow
22-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Yes it can get frustrating, but you can't help someone else, only yourself.

There is all manner of 'resistance' we can throw down before us....or just throw up our hands and give in because that's way easier. The path of least resistance. lol ....but in the end it only serves to spiral one down even further into the pit and that makes it harder to climb out. We can't base our lives on what our partners feel or want, we can only meet half-way and take care of ourselves. It's not your job to enable him, even though you feel obliged to. You have enough to look after yourself. What you choose in life is what is projected outward to others and how you see yourself internally. If others find it difficult to connect to your own positive energy, then they will either change their own outlook or move on away.

Take care of you. Cheers

Thanks. That seems to be the collective answer around here today :hug3:

Blaze
22-04-2011, 05:21 AM

Are you punishing yourself for some reasons? Have you been unhappy with yourself that led you to where you are now? Or are you in a belief that the world owe you something?

Xan
22-04-2011, 06:31 AM
There's a part of me that's crying out for spiritual development but another part that would rather do nothing.

Where can I find this strength and motivation?
Cumbria... You find it by getting more in touch with what you really want. "Spiritual development" is too broad a goal, so look into what you want to Experience... freedom, pure love, openness, or whatever would feel Real and fulfilling to you.

Oddly enough, doing nothing can be a good thing because discovering your true nature is not a 'doing' but just learning how to pay attention in a different way... within yourself.

Here's a lazy meditation practice that could help you find out what you really want, and go other steps too. Three Steps into your true nature - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3680 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3680)

Xan

themaster
22-04-2011, 06:50 AM
[You know, I say those kinds of things to my boyfriend, who is in a similar funk as the original thread poster, and he gets all frustrated, like he already knew that it is up to him, but he's still just so lost as to how to convince himself that he still feels hopeless. In turn, this makes me feel hopeless for him and I forget to reassure him. I never know what to say to someone who deliberately feels negative and bad about their life (not saying that's the case here, I'm speaking about my personal life) I know it's not his fault, and blaming never helps anyway, but it gets very frustrating when you are trying so hard to practice spiritually when he's negative to the spirit.Let me offer a different answer.. comes from abraham/bashar..

The only way you can help others.. is by the power of your vibration..

You have to demonstrate to them what your capable of holding your energy as high as you can.. when you do that.. you give them a opportunity.. to raise their vibration to match you..

There is a dynamic where many of us HOLD our vibration.. to stay compatible with others.. where we don't let it go WILD and as high as it can go.. because that energy.. make those people feel BAD.. because they want to meet you but don't know how/can't..

I'm one of those that I'm aware.. that I consciously push the limits of how high I can go.. so I can get to my holodeck :D

But the best thing you can do for another you.. is hold yourself in a state of loving yourself.. in a state of empowerment.. in a vibration of "uplifting" "empowering"

Words don't have to be the conduit to raise someone’s consciousness.. vibration or state of being.. can do just that! :smile:

themaster
22-04-2011, 06:53 AM
How does guided meditation work? I think I would be a lot better at it on my own if I started out with someone to "guide" me. But what exactly does that entail? Just someone talking to you telling you to breath in and out or imagine pretty scenes?? :cool:Guided meditation.. that I have found is the most effective meditation there is.. now I have not.. let's say.. spent years meditating under a tree to figure that out.. :D

What I have found in guided meditations with my teacher.. is he points you to "energy" and "awareness's" that raise your vibratory level significantly..

I'm really only aware of guided meditation with my teacher and with Jody.. one of his students..

I would honestly say my teachers goal.. is to create the meditation state.. as a walking around state.. as a conscious daily state.. not something you have to do a bunch of deep breathes to get to and only maintain for 20 minutes.. (though I'm sure those that meditate.. maintain it longer :D)

To say it another way.. I have 3 teachers in the past/present.. one was abraham.. one was bashar.. and one was Jim Self.. abraham has lots of good information.. and okay methods for manifesting.. bashar has great EGO information and again okay methods for manifesting.. but Jim Self is a tool teacher.. a do'er.. he teaches you how to do things.. so if you want to work.. and not just hear things that feel good and of course are true.. he's your man :D

If you would like to play at some tools or maybe some guided meditations.. my teacher offers a bunch of free tools/audios/lectures on his website.. and my fellow student Jody.. does a teaching of her own every monday at 9 p.m. eastern.. a free phone call.. where we as a group (I'm usually there) raise the vibration..

This is how my teacher teaches most of his students.. by conference call.. we are usually all in different parts of the country or world.. however.. we will come together for 11-11-11 (or some of us will :tongue: )

Cumbria
22-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Cumbria... You find it by getting more in touch with what you really want. "Spiritual development" is too broad a goal, so look into what you want to Experience... freedom, pure love, openness, or whatever would feel Real and fulfilling to you.

Oddly enough, doing nothing can be a good thing because discovering your true nature is not a 'doing' but just learning how to pay attention in a different way... within yourself.

Here's a lazy meditation practice that could help you find out what you really want, and go other steps too. Three Steps into your true nature - http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=3680 (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritualforums.co m%2Fvb%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D3680)

Xan

I'll make that technique my first stepping stone :)

I do realise I have the key to my own prison but at the this current point in time I'm working 4 days a week and at college 3, I told my girlfriend I'd come with her to Florida for her 21st birthday next year to all the Disney parks... it's going to cost me thousands of pounds, I need at least a hundred a week to reach this goal but it's gunna kill me. I don't want to disappoint her as it's her passion

HBuck72
22-04-2011, 01:43 PM
As others have mentioned, you have taken the first step by admitting that you 1) want to change 2) you have things standing in your way. Now the key is to change the "want" into action, and to tople the things standing in your way.

If you want to develop yourself physcially, well work in some exercise time. In the same vein if you want to develop yourself spiritual, work in some spiritual time.

We are each creatures of God, and as such we each are spiritual beings. Reach inside yourself to discover and devlop your true-self :smile:

Xan
23-04-2011, 04:09 AM
I told my girlfriend I'd come with her to Florida for her 21st birthday next year to all the Disney parks... it's going to cost me thousands of pounds, I need at least a hundred a week to reach this goal but it's gunna kill me. I don't want to disappoint her as it's her passion

This sounds like a call for more honest communication, Cumbria. It'll be good for you, her and your relationship.

Xan

clamothe
02-05-2011, 06:29 PM
Motivation, I think, is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome in spirituality, especially since it seems like SO MUCH WORK. Meditation, excersize, healthy eating etc, it all becomes overwhelming. When I first began, I had serious motivation problems, but there were a few things that helped me, and perhaps can help you.

First, don't look for "enlightenment" or some sort of higher realization. For now, it is simply enough to ask questions. This is a highly underrated aspect of spirituality, but curiosity is a large motivation, and is far likelier to keep you motivated to the end than some distant half formed goal. What do YOU want out of your spirituality, what answers do you hope to find in it? This, I think, is the simplest way to get started.

The thing that truly started my journey is being fed up. I was tired of being over weight, not having a real purpose and basically just existing instead of living. I was done with it all. I focused all of my discontent into motivation to make it better. I came to the conclusion that happiness was not going to find me on the couch.

Don't get caught up in details. Every person alive has a different definition of spirituality and what it contains. It's important to look into many different ways to see what is right for you. Don't feel that just because you agree with parts of a message that you need to accept ALL of it. Think of your spirituality as a buffet, take only what works for you.

Take baby steps. Don't get overwhelmed by all these percieved changes you need to make in your life, start with yourself, and all else will follow. You won't feel motivated to exercise until you have energy, you won't have energy until you eat right, and you won't eat right until you're mentally ready to. Food is usually a buffer, especially in north america, and we use food to stupify our emotions. Until you are ready to fully FEEL you will have a very hard time sticking with any lifestyle changes.

As anyone can tell you, it's a long road and it may be a very long time before your life OUTWARDLY improves from your spiritual progress. It needs to be understood that this TIME is also a part of spiritual growth, it's not solely about your destination or goal.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I hope it's at least something to ponder :)

Much happiness in your journey, and keep in mind that spirituality is not a fickle friend. You can leave her and return whenever you like and never be reproached for your absence.

Namaste

Cumbria
04-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Motivation, I think, is one of the hardest obstacles to overcome in spirituality, especially since it seems like SO MUCH WORK. Meditation, excersize, healthy eating etc, it all becomes overwhelming. When I first began, I had serious motivation problems, but there were a few things that helped me, and perhaps can help you.

First, don't look for "enlightenment" or some sort of higher realization. For now, it is simply enough to ask questions. This is a highly underrated aspect of spirituality, but curiosity is a large motivation, and is far likelier to keep you motivated to the end than some distant half formed goal. What do YOU want out of your spirituality, what answers do you hope to find in it? This, I think, is the simplest way to get started.

The thing that truly started my journey is being fed up. I was tired of being over weight, not having a real purpose and basically just existing instead of living. I was done with it all. I focused all of my discontent into motivation to make it better. I came to the conclusion that happiness was not going to find me on the couch.

Don't get caught up in details. Every person alive has a different definition of spirituality and what it contains. It's important to look into many different ways to see what is right for you. Don't feel that just because you agree with parts of a message that you need to accept ALL of it. Think of your spirituality as a buffet, take only what works for you.

Take baby steps. Don't get overwhelmed by all these percieved changes you need to make in your life, start with yourself, and all else will follow. You won't feel motivated to exercise until you have energy, you won't have energy until you eat right, and you won't eat right until you're mentally ready to. Food is usually a buffer, especially in north america, and we use food to stupify our emotions. Until you are ready to fully FEEL you will have a very hard time sticking with any lifestyle changes.

As anyone can tell you, it's a long road and it may be a very long time before your life OUTWARDLY improves from your spiritual progress. It needs to be understood that this TIME is also a part of spiritual growth, it's not solely about your destination or goal.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but I hope it's at least something to ponder :)

Much happiness in your journey, and keep in mind that spirituality is not a fickle friend. You can leave her and return whenever you like and never be reproached for your absence.

Namaste

Thanks for your reply. I have ample amounts of curiosity so that's a good start! I'd be asking more but I keep my curiosity on a lead for the sake of the forum :P

Your post has helped a lot, I've applied some changes to my life and things are better... it's all coming together slowly :) thanks all for the advice I'll be keeping it in mind in the future