PDA

View Full Version : Spirituality 101: Dumping the cup of knowledge

unus supra
17-04-2011, 03:29 AM
Spirituality 101: the art of emptying the cup of knowledge

If you can sit through this, it is useful.

First off, some of you are aware that I can be long winded. My apologies a priori,
This is my passion, im not trying to burden or overshadow. Only trying to do what im meant to. Enjoy.

Spiritual truths are those things that are simplest to observe. They are the things that are so obvious as to be hidden in plain sight. Lose your knowledge, and you will gain wisdom. This sounds cliché but please let me explain.
Can you imagine that God, or the Tao, or the great spiritual truths of our times would be difficult for you to find? How is it that those things that speak of the Eternal, the All powerful and things of that nature could possibly be hidden from us? Would this entity that supposedly loves you so very much hide from you? I say emphatically, absolutely not! This is High Science. Why is it High Science, because it is the only one that will lead to peace within, and only then will we have peace without. It just so happens, as luck would have it, that it is the easiest to see, thus the easiest to learn! They are so simple in fact that intelligence as human being defines it, is not as important as one might think.

Nor are any “blessings”. You need not be smart, blessed or otherwise special in any way. Only willing! Is anyone not willing to be happy? Who cares how it looks. Our level of “spiritual” development is not important. We couldn’t raise ourselves above each other even if we wanted to, so why bother? Would you believe it if I told you, yes YOU, that this whole shindig, every moment, was made just for YOU to find peace and contentment in your heart of hearts that is not dependant on the situation you are in? Yes its yours, because no matter what you may think, you absolutely deserve it!

Whats most important is the genuine desire to do so, because every man women and child on earth is capable. This game is about being real. Im sure many of us have heard the classic story of the old sage telling the young apprentice to empty his cup of knowledge so that it may be filled with truth.

But how do we do that? Accepting it as true on the surface, repeating at a spiritual catchphrase is simple. Im sure weve seen people do it, im sure we have all been guilty of it at one point or another, I know I have, its natural. But there comes a point when faith alone isn’t enough, we must understand why.

Why? Because the mind can only accept as true what it has evidence for. The mind must be convinced that what it beholds is real. But how do we do that?
Have you ever felt doubt? That feeling that something is not right? In order to bring in the new, we must get rid of the old, but its not as simple as taking out the trash. In fact, its simpler! We must convince that mind, through doubt. We must make the mind doubt what it has held as belief or “truth”. If you notice when there is doubt, the mind via its natural function, will search, actively (you can observe your mind “searching”). Its very much akin to the feeling you get when you are asked a question you don’t know or are unsure about. The brow furrows, Perhaps your fist is raised to your chin (and you turn into a statue) hehe etc. etc.

Lets use bare reason together, basic logic, inner honesty and good old fashioned common sense. All loyalties aside just for a moment and lets see what we find out together.

So lets start at the most basic. The human mind. Everything that we know, we know in relation to each other. From the organelles within the cell, to the relationship of the cells to the organ, organ to body. From human being to human being, from culture to culture. Objects in the universe are not suspended in a vacuum, each has a function in relation to the other. Can we see that with our own two eyes in absolutely everything? Good, so, in the same vein you likewise can assume (correctly so) that the human mind works via the same mechanism, it learns through relativity.

As above, so below

For instance, you have what we call, hot and cold. There actually are not two different phenomenon, cold is instead the absence of heat. Likewise, there is no such thing as dark, only the absence of light. Why this is important to know, is that it is a key aspect of how the mind learns and assimilates information. It breaks things down into “digestible” parts so that it may come to a relative understanding. The human mind is incapable of conceptually grasping infinite. Want proof? Try right now, to imagine nothing. Any luck? You can only tell when nothing is there when there is an absence of some “thing”.

You can liken it precisely to a clear crystal. You cant actually see the clarity of the crystal, if not for the object behind it that shows through it. It is only by seeing that object that you know what is not there by seeing what is there. We call it clear. This clarity, or emptiness (lack of some “thing”) is the natural state of the human mind. So we have determined (if we can agree), that the mind uses contrast to understand. Now the next important aspect of the mind.

It uses symbols.

Now that sounds innocuous on its own but it is very important to understand how this clouds our ability to see reality. You see, the problem that people run into when trying to grasp those things I claim are so obvious, is that the human mind cannot distinguish the difference between symbols and and the objects the symbols represent, because since we were children learning language we were taught that the word IS the object. It has accepted it as true, and because every person accepts language as true, every spoken or written experience reaffirms and conditions the mind to further see this as real. Not on purpose, there was no malicious intent, rather, it is the quickest way for an adult to teach the child the importance of language. Which is an immensely useful tool. So then lets briefly distinguish what a word is in relation to reality. A word is, when written, only and quite literally, a scribble. When it is spoken, it is in complete truth, only a sound produced by air passing through the vocal chords. It is not actually the object it represents. The word or sound actually means nothing. It only has meaning because we have accepted as true, since childhood the association with the sound and the object. It is the belief of the mind that gives language meaning! Obvious right? Clear as day! See im not smart or gifted. You could even say im incredibly simple minded!

So, when an adult looks at a particular object with roots and leaves, and calls it a tree and a child looks at the same object and calls it a blablybloo, they actually are, in terms of value, exactly the same. Both are meaningless in actuality. The only difference is that there is a general consensus amongst English speakers that a tree is the sound that is the object. Don’t get me wrong, we can all agree that there is vast usefulness in language. But it is extremely counterproductive when we mistake what language actually is for something else. What that means is all the words spoken, all the scholarly texts that all of humanity has every comprised.

Actually means nothing. Again, this is not a jab at language, its only meant to afford us the opportunity to divorce our conceptual mind from symbolism so that we may perceive reality clearly. The truth will set you free right?

Now in mathematical terms. If we are to say for instance that God is infinite. Or reality is infinite. Without beginning or end. Well, in English for instance we have the letters A through Z. A total of 26 symbols. Now, in English or in language in general, we arrange these letters to form words and then when needed further arrange the words. Heres the thing, of all the ways we can arrange these symbols, there is only a set number of possible permutations, or combinations.
So, as you know, this may indeed be obvious knowledge, but it is not common knowledge. Our language is treated as if the words are the objects that comprise our reality. But if reality is infinite, and there are only a possible number of symbols we use to describe reality….

What is the quantitative value of two points, or shucks lets be generous and say
Three hundred million points in relation to an infinite line? How do they measure up, because in spiritual terms, size matters a whole lot.

The quantitative value in relation to infinite. Is a resounding (drumroll)

0 (zero)

What that means, if we are to say that our words are our representative for reality, we actually, mathematically know absolutely NOTHING.
So when they say that the wisest sage knows nothing. It is true. Not cliché, but absolutely accurate. We collectively know nothing. We are a bunch of clueless (me to!) beings in this together, and were not getting out of here alive. heheh If that knowledge cant bring us together I don’t know what can.

Now, how this presents a problem. Have you ever heard how once you know the constellations in the sky you always see them and you can never just see the open sky? This is because, as we have accepted since childhood that words ARE the objects in our environment, what we have done essentially is placed a conceptual overlay over the direct sensory perception that we are having at every moment. What I want you to do right now, is look at whatever is in front of you. Briefly note the objects In front of you. Now I want you to imagine what is in front of you has suddenly had a clear sheet of overlay paper placed in front of it. On that overlay sheet, next to every object is a name and a description.

So what happens over time, as we age and we associate more and more with our concepts, we see less and less of what is actually in front of us, and we use instead the concepts associated with the objects, because we were never taught to distinguish them in our day to day experience. That is why as we grow, the wonder of the world is lost, and our experience can become dry and downright depressing. We have left the world provided to us in favor of a conceptual world that falls far short of the splendor, and deep texture of the world around us.

A man I cant remember who exactly, said to see the Kingdom of heaven we must first be reborn as a child. This is exactly what he was talking about. We must first know the difference, and then recondition our mind to see reality as it is. Only then can the “kingdom which is all around us” be seen. For instance, say im approaching a tree line, as I glance up, in the first moment I see the objects, in the very next moment I reflect that object in my mind and draw out my concept of it and perceive the object. Now instead of seeing the unique characteristics of each tree, the subtle nuances and shadows and aliveness of each one, I have instead, glanced up, seen a concept and looked away. The world is very much alive, always moving and always new, no moment is exactly the same as the last, it is fresh and new each time. Movement is life, concepts on the other hand are points in space, a place where we have frozen our ideas. Once they are accepted and believed, they are very much dead. We need not change the world, rather we need to take off the shades so we can see the light that’s always been there. That “living God” is all around us. Where is God, no, the question rather is where is God not? Good luck with that one champ.

Human beings are receivers. We take in food, we excrete it, we drink, we urinate, we breath in, we breath out, if someone speaks to us, we answer.
This is how we are designed. Thus the key to spiritual growth, like a strong house, is a solid foundation. The strongest foundation is one of empty willingness to learn. But not out of faith, but rather out of the direct understanding of how clueless we really are. When we develop the mind in accordance with the natural law of giving and receiving, we then mimic it with our mind. We learn something new, based on basic understanding, that is a step on the ladder, we discard it and take another step. Always discarding, and always learning, and holding onto nothing because WE KNOW we know nothing. And we KNOW that these symbols, these concepts, the valuable tools are just that

Tools and tools alone, meant for the sole purpose of teaching us, so we may climb that ladder to that highest place of perfect peace. That is our inheritance, let nothing, much less a figment of the imagination, stand in the way of receiving what is rightfully yours.

Love peace and chicken grease.

Your neighborhood looney,

kavon

Simon Karlos
17-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Thanks Kavon, I read and deeply enjoyed your brilliant post! There is, however, "something"--one certain thing--that all of creation knows, without exception; it is the feeling-sense, "I AM." "I exist." One may not know "who" he is, or "what" he is, but every man, woman, child and thing KNOWS it exists. Anyone who would argue against this would actually be proving it as true, because it takes someone to "exist"--and who inherently knows that they exist--to even say, "I don't exist," or "I know absolutely nothing."

To say "I know absolutely nothing" is actually an assertion that you know SOMETHING, which is that you exist, which enables you to even think the thought in the first place! This is what is most obvious in one's experience, in all experience. The naked sense, I AM, without attaching labels and concepts to it, is true intuitive knowing, which cannot really be denied by anyone, as hard as one may try. A FELT SENSE of existing, of I AM-ness, is truly universal. THIS we all KNOW, and whether it is fully accepted or not by the spiritual seeker is irrelevant, for as far as the illusion of linear time/reincarnation is concerned, each human must realize this I AM-ness, not conceptually, but Wholistically. (The "Kingdom within" that Jesus and others spoke of, in which to "enter" it, one must be "reborn," become like a little child... This is the naked state of I AM, Pure Existence. When the "I AM" is seen through, free of all concepts, labels and descriptions of "what" I AM... This is the revelation of the True Infinite, the Absolute.)

Dumping the cup of knowledge is to "dump" all labels and concepts through seeing "through" them or "behind" them, which allows the intuitive knowing that "I AM" to be experienced purely, as Zero, the Infinite/Eternal, beyond all time/space, labels and concepts--and even beyond "I AM." I feel that your awesome post actually points to the very same Reality that I sometimes refer to as the "Absolute," which is Itself free of all concepts. :color:

Blessings
Kar

Ciqala
17-04-2011, 06:31 AM
Kavon - this is beautiful, with exceptional terminology to describe the concept of interchangeable interlacing of divinity, this whole write up was stunning, and amazingly worded and knowledgable, i am glad you decided to share this, very unique explanations! :)
Emptying, freeing the essence to take in truths of all. Many forgo into traps of these accumulated "beliefs" over even short time periods, which limits ones vision of inability to see through such illusion and grasp onto truth, bliss and oneness, it is very humbling and connecting, knowing that we know nothing, starting anew with a blank canvas, and this knowledge and pure state of knowing nothing connects us to divine knowledge and truths.
Doing this on a regular basis is very helpful, as even the smallest of assumptions of knowing compliments our ego. I look forward ;) to reading more of your writings and teachings now.

Kar - lovely worded truths, written perfectly and right on the dot, amazing post :)

Orbie
17-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Thank you for this post, it speaks to me for a variety of reasons, the nicest one is that it has helped me help someone else, thank you x

andrew g
17-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Some cool insights there, and nicely expressed. In my opinion we can even go beyond the knowing that I know nothing. Kind of a....'I know nothing, and I dont even know that!' At which point it becomes a possibility again that we DO actually know something, we just dont know if we know something or not! This may sound like a state of confusion and doubt but actually I would say its a state of openness and possibility.....Maybe I know something, maybe I dont. Maybe I exist, maybe I dont. We are open to all possibilities equally and with this openness comes a being fully present in the Now.

By the way, I would say Im speculating here somewhat....it doesnt quite resonate with me that I am at the point Im describing myself. But Im not actually sure hehe. I think what Im describing is a shift to a New Earth because I dont think we can function on this earth with all its current rational thought based systems without some slight degree of accumulated knowledge, even if its recalling how to use an oven, or drive a car or remember a pin number.

unus supra
17-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Simon Carlos- it definitely speaks of the Absolute, i am quite fond of that term myself. In regards to the I AM, i tend to see it somewhat differently, but this is not important. Its obvious that what you say is a result of solid reasoning. Actually the more i read over it, the more i can get what your saying and i believe we are pointing to the very same thing, a state of being? perhaps i am wrong.

Ciqala- Thank you so much for the compliments. Build it and they will come, im glad that you did. I couldnt agree more about what you said in relation to even having a slight assumption of knowing compliments our ego.
very insightful. This is truly a game in which those subtleties come to the forefront.

Orbie- im glad it helped. i mean that, thats why i put it up, so that it would be useful. And in hearing your replies im afforded the opportunity to learn more.

Andrew G- Thanks buddy. I concur with your opinion that the lack of knowing goes to an absolute point. I think personally that complete uncertainty and absolute certainty are the same thing. If the rule is we dont know, then thats the one thing we know for sure hahah. I admire the honesty you show in speaking about where you are personally. Thats not easy to do to oneself, let alone to share. But its self honesty, thats the quickest way to grow.

Thanks to all. hope your day goes well

kavon

Perspective
19-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Spirituality 101: the art of emptying the cup of knowledge

...As above so below

...What is the quantitative value of two points, or shucks lets be generous and say
Three hundred million points in relation to an infinite line? How do they measure up, because in spiritual terms, size matters a whole lot.

The quantitative value in relation to infinite. Is a resounding (drumroll)

0 (zero)

What that means, if we are to say that our words are our representative for reality, we actually, mathematically know absolutely NOTHING.
So when they say that the wisest sage knows nothing. It is true. Not cliché, but absolutely accurate. We collectively know nothing. We are a bunch of clueless (me to!) beings in this together, and were not getting out of here alive. heheh If that knowledge cant bring us together I don’t know what can.

...Always discarding, and always learning, and holding onto nothing because WE KNOW we know nothing. And we KNOW that these symbols, these concepts, the valuable tools are just that

Tools and tools alone, meant for the sole purpose of teaching us, so we may climb that ladder to that highest place of perfect peace. That is our inheritance, let nothing, much less a figment of the imagination, stand in the way of receiving what is rightfully yours.

Love peace and chicken grease.

Your neighborhood looney,

kavonKavon,
Thanks for sharing this! It's so timely & needed personally! :hug3:
Reading this, I laughed, but also had some aha moments & inspiration to just ENJOY!

If I understand you... what we consider knowledge is really illusion.
"As above so below" - I've been reading this a lot lately... inspires more search for illusional knowledge. :smile:

Isn't life, especially spirituality, full of ironies!
We are so full of it! ha ha We are so full of illusions - yet these illusions are what help us resonate spiritually.

unus supra
19-04-2011, 06:31 PM
im glad, that is exactly what i was going 4.

yah 1 big paradox full of infinite little ones hehe

absolutely, the mind constantly searches until it "knows". so it pours through more and more
until it reaches a place, a point, of complete, absolute certainty. it is the final....

realization. you still learn ofcourse, but that learning is seen in its context, in accordance with what it is. relative
knowledge.

this is the first (and when perfected) the last step. empty. no one can fool God, except God,
so our minds are akin to this Absolute, enfolding upon itself, to the point that it tricks itself
into forgetting. so its akin to a process of recollection more than anything else, but this
absolutely must be understood experientially. otherwise its unreal, and this game is about being
as real as you can be right? first real with yourself so you can be real with everyone else, no pretense
nada. you hear people say that they are God, well in a sense this is true, the thing is, the one speaking
encompasses the entirety that the individual knows to be him or her. So, what point are we speaking
from? the truth is your name, the one given by your mom and dad are qualitatively just as good.
Is it true? Again, spirituality is simple, our minds needlessly complicate things. If God, or Tao,
or the Absolute is a. 1 and b. comprises absolutely everything, then you could not exist.
but you do. Thus we can do this math right? It is that simple.

If this thing is all powerful. Throw your pen in the air, and revel at an act of Gods will haha.

yes, they are illusory, like steps on a ladder to the summit, at which point u kick the ladder down.
skillful means you could call them.

ya i like that phrase, skillful means....it makes me feel...

skillful hahaha.

Perspective
23-04-2011, 01:50 PM
realization. you still learn ofcourse, but that learning is seen in its context, in accordance with what it is. relative
knowledge. Hi Unus Supra,
You've mentioned a lot in here & reading it over again, I realize how profound it is! And I like your humor!

Knowledge is relative... depends on point of view & the funny thing is that there is truth in all perspectives. Depending on how you define truth - if it's "universally applicable to all" - then of course, no. But, defining truth by having a real influence, than yeah. this is the first (and when perfected) the last step. empty. no one can fool God, except God,
so our minds are akin to this Absolute, enfolding upon itself, to the point that it tricks itself
into forgetting. so its akin to a process of recollection more than anything else, but this
absolutely must be understood experientially. otherwise its unreal, and this game is about being
as real as you can be right? first real with yourself so you can be real with everyone else, no pretense
nada. Yeah, real understanding is acquired through experience! Our imaginations are actively creating experiences (both productive & counterproductive) which we react to. Also, I think spirituality & faith are known by one's actions! Actions speak louder than words... but not as often! :smile:
"No pretense nada" - I love it! :hug3:
Yeah, only by being honest & real with ourselves can we enjoy, progress... & relate honestly with others. you hear people say that they are God, well in a sense this is true, the thing is, the one speaking
encompasses the entirety that the individual knows to be him or her. So, what point are we speaking
from? Excellent question! One to ask ourselves regularly! Is it true?
Again, spirituality is simple, our minds needlessly complicate things. If God, or Tao,
or the Absolute is a. 1 and b. comprises absolutely everything, then you could not exist.
but you do. Thus we can do this math right? It is that simple. Maybe my math is off, but would you explain this more? Do you mean that God cannot be both contained & uncontained? yes, they are illusory, like steps on a ladder to the summit, at which point u kick the ladder down.
skillful means you could call them. ha ha I could just imagine someone laying down a ladder up a mountain to walk up it, then to lay it down again to walk up it...
Like those cartoons, where the character's in the air, but trying to keep something under his feet, to keep himself from falling down. :smile:

unus supra
23-04-2011, 07:28 PM
im SO glad you found it interesting.

okay, that is a bit confusing hrmm..... It means it is both.
another great paradox. Contained within itself, which is the only thing
that could contain it, because thats the only thing there is. And since its contained within itself and it is all there is, then it is actually not contained at all. I like the word enfoldment. for some reason that word has always sat right with me. Its enfolded within itself like an onion, in which case each layer progressively obscures the observer from what is its own wholeness.

you know whats really funny, i spit math around on here like its my job, and i got a 12 percent for Algebra 2 my second shot at tenth grade. i bombed in school.

how bad is that?

oh hey, the next one i write is going to build off of this one. i had the inspiration last night in the middle of my run, about halfway home and i couldnt do anything about it, by the time i got home i had lost it.

hey take care!