PDA

View Full Version : dead inside

twinkle
07-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Hey all,
I have never worked a job I liked. The other day I watched an Oprah special, which she explained how she would experience a slow death if she did not follow the path she was meant to follow- talk show host. Is that what is happening to me? It is hard enough to find a job, even harder to find a job that you actually like. I wish I knew what I was meant to do in life. Then I could focus my energy on it and make it happen. But I do not know what career I want. Therefore, I keep focusing my energy on constantly finding another job once I find another dead-end job. I forgot to mention that I never had a good paying job either. I have always been struggling to get by so not much chance to enjoy life. How do I find out what I was meant to do? My intuition must be blocked because I have been confused for a long time over this.

Silver
07-04-2011, 04:01 AM
Our name is legion, twinkle. So so many people in the exact same spot as you. I find the answer such as it is, to be work on maintaining all your relationships with family/friends, that will keep life interesting and try to develop good hobbies and habits, and in the process of doing that maybe find some online quizzes about where your talents lie and there are good books and sites that can help you figure out where your strengths are and what you really like to do. Check out YouTube for stuff like that, too. Do you want to go to vocational school or anything like that? Start doing a little research for yourself. Informally ask your family and friends what they think you'd be good at, what they picture you doing for a career maybe.

windwhistle
07-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes, I agree with Silvergirl. There are lots of free career personality tests online the kiersey test or simple minds or the big 5are all sites that offer many tests mimicking the myers Briggs test. It has taken me years to find a job I like and I explored many different ones-40 in fact!

What color is your aura by pamala oslie is a another great personality book complete with lists of careers assigned to each career type. Just google pamala oslie aura and go to her site and take the test. You must buy the book too see the career lists though. As far as personality typing her test is the most accurate portrayal of the various groups of people. I don't agree that her aura correllations are correct but it's an awesome personality book.

The job I have now doe snot make much money but I find that it helps me to stay busy, have a lot of varying tasks, be and work with others, work in a safe neighborhood, have some creativity, challenges and not do the same thing all the time. I don't make a lot but I like it. Sometime you just have to try out a bunch of different ones. Also go into places and feel the energy, check out the worker's attitudes...would you like to be there for a whole day?

What are your likes and dislikes? I like art so I work in an art store/custom framing store. Do you like pets, plants, babies, computers, architecture, cooking, real estate, crafts, boats or cars...when are you happiest? It's been a total challenge for me and i just happened to fall into a job that I called the lady about once a week for 5weeks to check and see if any position opened up. I was persistent and it paid off.

Good luck and don't worry. It's just a job. It's not who you are.

themaster
07-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Ever consider a career of just being you..?

Let me give you a little *hint* my understanding is that one day soon.. probably 20-40 years.. careers will be over..

So I would just do what you enjoy.. if you believe you’re a capable manifester in your life.. hand your "career" over to the universe.. let them manifest something exciting and well-paying and joyful.. you don't need to do anything.. but clear your mind/ego/doubts about yourself out of your way.. so you can get there!

Ivy
07-04-2011, 07:37 AM
I used to work around the country...moving from job to job and from area to area. Everytime I started getting bored, I'd look to move elsewhere. Im glad I did it, it taught me alot about life and different people. But when I started looking deeper again...going through my psychological pathways...at that time my mundane job was a welcome break, it was shallow and light and allowed the deep meditations to flow throughout the day as the work didn't require me to think about it. I still moved on from those jobs....but it was kind of to find a challenge that matched the challenges I'd faced onm that inner journey - I went to university. I still don't know what I'm going to do as a job...I dont have carreer ambition, and its maybe just not the major concern to my life. But all of life, including the I do is an experience that I feel spiritually.

Sorry for waffling on about me....but Im not able to tell you why you feel dead....but you might look if any of my journey reflects yours.

Lightspirit
07-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Our name is legion, twinkle. So so many people in the exact same spot as you. I find the answer such as it is, to be work on maintaining all your relationships with family/friends, that will keep life interesting and try to develop good hobbies and habits, and in the process of doing that maybe find some online quizzes about where your talents lie and there are good books and sites that can help you figure out where your strengths are and what you really like to do. Check out YouTube for stuff like that, too. Do you want to go to vocational school or anything like that? Start doing a little research for yourself. Informally ask your family and friends what they think you'd be good at, what they picture you doing for a career maybe. what do you mean by legion silvergirl i have only heard reference to that once.

Silver
07-04-2011, 06:35 PM
what do you mean by legion silvergirl i have only heard reference to that once.

It simply means there are oodles and oodles of people out there feeling they're inthe same predicament or unhappy or bewildered by what to do with themselves/who they are in life. What I said was a bit redundant but just trying to emphasize...lol.

Internal Queries
07-04-2011, 07:01 PM
hey twinkle? do you like to travel? have a vehicle? like dress up in fun costumes? enjoy the company of creative people? are you okay with camping? any good at retail sales? have any crafting skills or willing to learn some?

if you answer "yes" to these question may i suggest you jump onto the Renaisance Faire circuit. you won't make a lot money but it's a blast and you can doodle around the country while you figure out what you might want to do for a "real" career. google the wheres and whens of the Ren Fests and show up a week or 2 before the fair opens and go around from booth to booth asking for a job. be gregarious. being gamer can be fun too. avoid working in the food booths. food booth jobs are messy, hectic and hot. i worked the Ren Fests for 7 years. i had a lot of fun and i earned enough $ for a down payment on my land by weaving hammock chairs.

just a thought.

spirit72
07-04-2011, 07:02 PM
I always work with temping agencies, so I could move at will, and not get ground down and board, I loved it... Then when I had to stop work, I got to know myself, and tried all different crafts, and charity work, until I found what I was happy doing, you guessed it I still flit from one thing to another, but thats were the spice is well for me anyway...:wink:

Lightspirit
07-04-2011, 11:44 PM
It simply means there are oodles and oodles of people out there feeling they're inthe same predicament or unhappy or bewildered by what to do with themselves/who they are in life. What I said was a bit redundant but just trying to emphasize...lol. ok sure thats good.

tragblack
07-04-2011, 11:50 PM
Hey all,
I have never worked a job I liked.

Me neither, but then, work is work. I have worked jobs that I didn't mind so much... does that count?

Is there anyone out there who really, really enjoys their nine-to-five, every day, even if it is their dream job? I have been having this issue with how long and often people are expected to work to be able to survive, and honestly, it depresses me.

It is hard enough to find a job, even harder to find a job that you actually like.

I am having this trouble, too, though I am playing around with the law of attraction to try and change this.

Maybe a lot of us don't have a "job that we're meant to do." Maybe a lot of us are meant to go through a bunch of jobs. We all have purpose in life, but I'm sure that for all of us, our purpose isn't our career! Your purpose might be in having your family or in some of your hobbies and interests.

tragblack
07-04-2011, 11:53 PM
...do what you enjoy.. if you believe you’re a capable manifester in your life.. hand your "career" over to the universe.. let them manifest something exciting and well-paying and joyful.. you don't need to do anything.. but clear your mind/ego/doubts about yourself out of your way.. so you can get there!

I like this advice the best!

tragblack
07-04-2011, 11:54 PM
All day I have been asking myself, "What is the best thing for me to do right now? How can I know what's best for me in any given moment?" And these questions are really stressing me out because I can never seem to find anything that drives me!

tragblack
07-04-2011, 11:56 PM
if you answer "yes" to these question may i suggest you jump onto the Renaisance Faire circuit.

My mom used to sew costumes for these! It is usually a temporary job, but I was so jealous!

Silver
08-04-2011, 12:06 AM
My mom used to sew costumes for these! It is usually a temporary job, but I was so jealous!

I can see that jealousy, my grandmother could've done that sort of thing and those who sew are geniuses. I was lucky to make a thing or two, but the stitching crafts like embroidery also crocheting and knitting I was better at than sewing clothes.

I'd love to work the ren fairs myself.

Gerryh
08-04-2011, 06:13 AM
Dear Twinkle!
What are your passions in life?What gifts were you born with?Forget about the money and find out by experimenting in diferent fields. Find out who you are.Then once you have done so reinvent yourself into what you would like to be.In this day and age one can become anything.Start by writing down a list of what things you like to do and see if there is a path you can follow from that.
Best wishes and have a great weekend
Gerry

ROM
08-04-2011, 06:57 AM
It's okay, there's plenty of people in the exact same position as you. Many people go their whole lives working a job they don't like. There's nothing wrong with that, imo. Work, even if you don't enjoy it, is better than idleness. There could also be a reason/purpose you haven't yet found your calling. Perhaps these 'dead-end' jobs you keep finding yourself in are a pre-requisite for what you will do later in life. Just keep at it, don't let it get you down.