PDA

View Full Version : Spirtually what do you think the northern lights are?

Roselove
03-04-2011, 08:17 PM
i just watched a video, different asortment of colors, it was beautiful but i find things like aliens, supernatural phenomna quite frightening and bizare.

Adrienne
03-04-2011, 08:26 PM
hi Rosewater, I love the beauty of the Northern Lights ! Wonderful beautiful colors, wish I lived in an area where one could enjoy these lights every night.

Just curious, what brings to your mind a connection to aliens and supernatural phenonema to the Northern Lights ? Something you read, something you heard ?

Can something not just be beautiful without having some kind of spiritual connection ?

blessings,
Dream Angel xx

Roselove
03-04-2011, 08:38 PM
i'm not sure, i guess it just reminds me of what else is out there, i agree though they are beautiful

Adrienne
03-04-2011, 08:45 PM
dear Rosewater, sometimes I think you worry too much ! :hug:

Roselove
03-04-2011, 08:52 PM
lol i know

Shim
03-04-2011, 08:54 PM
What causes the northern lights? (http://www.northernlightscentre.ca/northernlights.html)

nightowl
03-04-2011, 09:15 PM
The northern lights are a beautiful light show of creation! I like the idea that when conditions are just right that the unseen becomes visible. Nothing to fear in those lights!

Silver
03-04-2011, 09:55 PM
I've never seen them personally, but wish I had. Maybe someday. It might seem like a weird phenomenon to someone who's never seen them before and well, the next related thing to them in my mind would be lightning, which can be 'shocking' lol. It's just a foreign idea to some I guess, even though I've seen them in photographs and on tv.

Kaere
03-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I've never seen them personally, but wish I had. Maybe someday. It might seem like a weird phenomenon to someone who's never seen them before and well, the next related thing to them in my mind would be lightning, which can be 'shocking' lol. It's just a foreign idea to some I guess, even though I've seen them in photographs and on tv.

They're eeerie. And so beautiful - they change right before your eyes. Some people say you can hear them as well but I never have.

Silver
03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
They're eeerie. And so beautiful - they change right before your eyes. Some people say you can hear them as well but I never have.

That must be wonderful to see. How easy is it to capture them via photographs?

Kaere
03-04-2011, 11:20 PM
You'd need a better camera than a point and click for sure.

Silver
03-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I just thought of this question about them, Kaere. Are they ever close enough to the ground and people to feel like you are or can be standing 'in' them as they're happening?

Kaere
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
I haven't seen them that often - I'm pretty far north but not far enough that it's really common for conditions to be just right. No, they're not close to the ground, they are a reaction in the earth's magnetic field so they're quite high up in the sky. I have a pilot friend who takes pics of them while he's flying (commercial jets) and they're much higher than he is flying. You can see them from space even - wild stuff.

Silver
04-04-2011, 12:05 AM
I had no idea they were that high up. I'd love to see some of his pics (videos to right?)

Kaere
04-04-2011, 12:11 AM
Pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed to share those unfortunately. But you can google northern lights and come up with some pretty good pictures.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0G0UCP72S5FnfnaC663Fl4_7al8vEq DSmLD3TLg_M-Ra-Z_Miig

Silver
04-04-2011, 12:14 AM
That was a great one. A while ago, I ordered a VHS (Yes, quite a while ago, lol) of them, they seemed to be mostly green on this particular tape. I'll check out YouTube.

Adrienne
04-04-2011, 12:24 AM
I have a pilot friend who takes pics of them while he's flying (commercial jets) and they're much higher than he is flying. You can see them from space even - wild stuff.

:icon_eek: and whoooooo is flying the plane ?

Kaere
04-04-2011, 12:27 AM
There are two pilots in a commercial jet and it only takes seconds to take a picture. It is allowed.

Adrienne
04-04-2011, 12:30 AM
I was just kidding, so serious you are ~

Kaere
04-04-2011, 12:34 AM
It's hard to tell with text :) I'm not very serious at all.

Deusdrum
04-04-2011, 06:12 AM
On halloween one year i saw some northern lights that took up half of the sky. One of the most amazing things i have ever seen. There were green, blue or purple and red. I remember 3 colours. I've seen the northern lights a fair amount of times, but never with more than one colour, let alone 3.

As i gazed up at them, i started feeling weird, almost like a high, as if they were drawing me to them somehow. It was a strange feeling. I love how northern lights shift in shafts or columns in the sky.

I'm not sure what they are (other than the technical scientific explanation of reflected light particles in the atmosphere or whatever they say) but there is something to them. My friend told me once that if you yell at them, they change or you can see how they absorb the sound or something. I'm not sure if that is true, i have never tried it myself.

Couple of things from the internet;

http://www.canadaandtheworld.com/northernlights.jpg

A Native shaman might explain the Northern Lights by saying that the dancing waves of colour are powerful guardian spirits; the spirits of ancestors dance across the northern sky, weaving their way through the black of night, moving in harmony with the eternal rhythms of Father Sky and Mother Earth.

VIKINGS referred to them as reflections from dead maidens.

SCOTS called the Northern Lights "Heavenly Dancers" or "Merry Dancers." "Merry Dancers" were supernatural beings warring in the heavens, and the battle is for the favour of a beautiful woman.

NATIVE AMERICANS perceived the northern lights as gods dancing above the sky. It was also a common belief that the northern lights were a gathering of medicine men and warriors in the land of far North. They held great feasts and prepared their fallen foes in huge cooking pots.

ESKIMOS IN GREENLAND thought it was the realm of the dead, and when the lights changed rapidly, it meant that dead friends were trying to contact their living relatives.
NATIVE AMERICANS believed that they could conjured up ghosts and spirits by whistling to the lights. It was a common belief that the northern lights were the reflections in the sky of huge fires in the distant north, or that the might God Himself lightened up the dark and cold parts of the world.

DENMARK & SWEDEN thought the northern lights were and active volcano in the north, placed there by the Creator to provide light and warmth in those cold, murky regions.
DANISH thought the lights were due to a throng of swans flying so far to the north that they were caught in the ice. Each time they flapped their wings they created reflections which created the northern lights.

ANCIENT TIMES most people were afraid of the lights. Children would be brought inside when the mystifying flames of the auroras spread across the heavens, for the lights could descend and cut their heads off. Thus, in many places northern lights were a threat to people's lives and health. Nordic countries thought the northern lights were a vengeful force which killed those who mocked it. The mythological role of the aurora was important in religion. Many believed it a message from the creator. Flaming auroras reminded people that their creator still cared for them. An old tale from the Nordic countries said that, "God is angry when the aurora flames." It was a common interpretation during medieval times that northern lights were an omen of war, or disasters or plagues.

ROMANS believe "Aurora" was the goddess of the dawn. Many cultural groups thought of them as harbingers of war or famine.

MAORI OF NEW ZEALAND shared a belief with many northern people of Europe and North America that the Southern Lights were reflections from torches or campfires.

MENOMINEE INDIANS OF WISCONSIN believed the lights indicated the location of manabai'wok (giants) who were the spirits of great hunters and fishermen.
INUIT OF ALASKA believed the lights were the spirits of animals they hunted: seals, salmon, deer and beluga whales.

OTHER ABORIGINAL PEOPLE believed that the lights were the spirits of their people.

CHINESE believed that the northern lights were fighting dragons (good/evil).

GentleStrength
04-04-2011, 07:38 AM
When I've seen the lights I feel amazed at the power of the sun and the solar wind it sends throughout the system. Then I am thankful to Mother Earth for the strong magnetic field that shifts it away from the planet and makes beautiful lights from it.

Love and Light

Ciqala
04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Northern lights are stunningly beautiful - I only saw them a few times where I live coming from the north, they are called Aurora Borealis, a natural light display, caused by a collision of charged particles directed by the earth's magnetic field. They only reach the upper atmosphere, about 50 miles up.
My native Cree people, call it the Dance of the Spirits.
It happens from emissions of photons in our upper atmosphere from ionized nitrogen atoms becoming electron, oxygen and nitrogen atoms rising and ascending, they are ionized from solar winds that move along the earths magnetic field lines, this creates the amazing colours.

It is not an alien phenomenon; it is one of the amazing natural earth made creations of our planet. Just like looking into the stars, or gazing at a rainbow, sunset or other natural made miracles, it gives us a feeling of awe and powerlessness, a knowing there is something greater and more powerful than us and we can therefore connect to it.

And then you have man made creations, like the tallest and most amazing architectures in the world, this does the same thing to us, gives us awe, except now we feel powerful, and that we can achieve anything. I'll leave you to decide which one is better. Nature is an amazing phenomenon, our planet has many amazing things. That connection to something more powerful, more beautiful than anything we can make ourselves, connects us to creation, to oneness. Yet sometimes something powerful and beautiful can create a fear of the unknown.
Northern lights are a natural earth made thing, not supernatural or extra terrestrial.

themaster
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
I was noticing the new film of the "northern lights" I knew they would look cool cause of my teacher and his "notice them" and the solar flares..

I was looking at them.. and thinking were seeing energy effecting the living earth recently.. however that's just my educated guess.. :D

The sun is super-charging us and the earth for change.. that's one of the physical/spiritual process's going on.. so my theory is the "northern lights" are kind of a aware/seeing of some of this energy.. :D

nightowl
05-04-2011, 12:05 AM
On halloween one year i saw some northern lights that took up half of the sky. One of the most amazing things i have ever seen. There were green, blue or purple and red. I remember 3 colours. I've seen the northern lights a fair amount of times, but never with more than one colour, let alone 3.

As i gazed up at them, i started feeling weird, almost like a high, as if they were drawing me to them somehow. It was a strange feeling. I love how northern lights shift in shafts or columns in the sky.

I'm not sure what they are (other than the technical scientific explanation of reflected light particles in the atmosphere or whatever they say) but there is something to them. My friend told me once that if you yell at them, they change or you can see how they absorb the sound or something. I'm not sure if that is true, i have never tried it myself.

Couple of things from the internet;

http://www.canadaandtheworld.com/northernlights.jpg

A Native shaman might explain the Northern Lights by saying that the dancing waves of colour are powerful guardian spirits; the spirits of ancestors dance across the northern sky, weaving their way through the black of night, moving in harmony with the eternal rhythms of Father Sky and Mother Earth.

VIKINGS referred to them as reflections from dead maidens.

SCOTS called the Northern Lights "Heavenly Dancers" or "Merry Dancers." "Merry Dancers" were supernatural beings warring in the heavens, and the battle is for the favour of a beautiful woman.

NATIVE AMERICANS perceived the northern lights as gods dancing above the sky. It was also a common belief that the northern lights were a gathering of medicine men and warriors in the land of far North. They held great feasts and prepared their fallen foes in huge cooking pots.

ESKIMOS IN GREENLAND thought it was the realm of the dead, and when the lights changed rapidly, it meant that dead friends were trying to contact their living relatives.
NATIVE AMERICANS believed that they could conjured up ghosts and spirits by whistling to the lights. It was a common belief that the northern lights were the reflections in the sky of huge fires in the distant north, or that the might God Himself lightened up the dark and cold parts of the world.

DENMARK & SWEDEN thought the northern lights were and active volcano in the north, placed there by the Creator to provide light and warmth in those cold, murky regions.
DANISH thought the lights were due to a throng of swans flying so far to the north that they were caught in the ice. Each time they flapped their wings they created reflections which created the northern lights.

ANCIENT TIMES most people were afraid of the lights. Children would be brought inside when the mystifying flames of the auroras spread across the heavens, for the lights could descend and cut their heads off. Thus, in many places northern lights were a threat to people's lives and health. Nordic countries thought the northern lights were a vengeful force which killed those who mocked it. The mythological role of the aurora was important in religion. Many believed it a message from the creator. Flaming auroras reminded people that their creator still cared for them. An old tale from the Nordic countries said that, "God is angry when the aurora flames." It was a common interpretation during medieval times that northern lights were an omen of war, or disasters or plagues.

ROMANS believe "Aurora" was the goddess of the dawn. Many cultural groups thought of them as harbingers of war or famine.

MAORI OF NEW ZEALAND shared a belief with many northern people of Europe and North America that the Southern Lights were reflections from torches or campfires.

MENOMINEE INDIANS OF WISCONSIN believed the lights indicated the location of manabai'wok (giants) who were the spirits of great hunters and fishermen.
INUIT OF ALASKA believed the lights were the spirits of animals they hunted: seals, salmon, deer and beluga whales.

OTHER ABORIGINAL PEOPLE believed that the lights were the spirits of their people.

CHINESE believed that the northern lights were fighting dragons (good/evil).

Nice post Deusdrum, great info...:hug3: Thanks!

Nemetami
05-04-2011, 11:17 AM
I don't think there is anything "spiritual" about them, they are made from the atmosphere, magnetic field and all that (too early for me to find the terms XD) and like a previous poster said, a BEAUTIFUL show from Earth to us, and in a way, since it has to do with our magnetic field, a sign of security that our earth is still protected. :)

Time
05-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Ive seen them quite a few times in my life. The colours are amazing, and you can hear them, its a sort of static quiet lightning sound almost, very hard to describe.

We now know that there isnt really anything "spiritual" about them, but if you think about it, all it is is solar radiation interacting with the earths magnetic feilds. All life has its own magnetic feild, so one way to look at it is the sun interacting with the organsim earth. Most of the ancients understood this, but really didnt have anyexplination as to why, so they said it was spirits.....

That isnt TOO far off, as i jsut said life has its own magnetic feild, so.... It depends on how you want to see it

Deusdrum
05-04-2011, 09:06 PM
Nice post Deusdrum, great info...:hug3: Thanks!
You're very welcome nightowl. :smile:

I feel there is some Spiritual significance to them. To me, because we can explain them in scientific terms does not negate the spiritual reality. Natural and spiritual are not mutually exclusive imo, but intricately interconnected.

The most intense display i have ever witnessed of them was on halloween, supposedly when the veil between the worlds is thinnest. I realize this is purely circumstantial evidence, but anyways i don't differentiate much between physical/spiritual. To me a piece of toast is spiritual. The basis of physical reality is Spiritual. A block of wood from the quantum physics perspective also, is energy, as is all physical matter.

I don't care to argue the point much though, i can accept and respect the fact that some might see it otherwise.

themaster
05-04-2011, 09:17 PM
I don't think there is anything "spiritual" about themIt's very spiritual if you recognize the earth is a living being..

Has magnetics in its body, just like we do! has fluids in its body.. just like we do! Has auric fields... just like we do! Has.. ____ think you get the point! :D