PDA

View Full Version : What happens when spirituality fails you?

earth2bella
02-04-2011, 06:20 AM
I've been at trying to enlightenment my self spiritually for 5 or 6 years now, in some form or another. I had had awakening in my early 20's. Once I realized what was happening, all I ever wanted to do with my time was read my books and post on these forums and practice methods of divination and psychic outlets, crystals and dream techniques and aura reading. I studied it all constantly for these past years and I tried to educate others at any opportunity I got. I was ultimately consumed by it.

But I had a 'falling out' with my spiritual progress and I stopped questioning and seeking completely, I stopped dreaming, and stopped sensing. Even when people who knew me as the go-to person for certain insights I wouldn't want to talk about it or play it off like I didn't know what to tell them.

I've regressed completely since then and it now makes me wonder..

Was this whole spiritual journey ever really meant for me? Was it a phase? Because if it was I would be on track, making progress, or at least not so estranged from it. And despite being told numerous times that this is my path, I very much doubt the validity of this. Sure it's up to me to make it happen, but I can't force it.

Imagine a line, and on the left side of the line was everything indulgent regarding spirituality and all the curiosities of the universe -- rainbow, and on the right was standard society cut-and-dry without any wonderment -- gray.. I used to be on the left side, now I'm on the right. There has never been a balance of the two.

I feel I've wasted time. I could have been pursuing my career sooner if I hadn't spent so much time on this stuff. Or vice versa, what if this is my path and I should be progressing down it. All of the progress I'd made in prior years, *it never got put to good use, I never perfected anything, it all seems lost now, and I don't have a thing to show for it.

Now when I close my eyes I sleep and that is all. I know my guides still listen but they don't respond anymore.*

I'm not mad by all of this even though it probably sounds like I am. I'm happier now and more 'normal' than I was during my spiritually indulgent 'phase'.

But what happens when you feel as though spirituality has failed you, or you have failed it? I can't tell who abandoned who..

psychoslice
02-04-2011, 06:25 AM
This is good, true realization is dropping the lot, every single little thing that you believe in, then and only then will true Awakening happen.

Tiger
02-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Everyone goes through these phases. Its normal. At first its so exciting and new, and you are learning so much about things you had no idea about. After too long (as with anything) you get burned out. Thats OK. Take a break for awhile (I did for nearly 2 years now, and i'm finding my way back). Thats part of the spiritual journey in itself. You cant focus all of your time and energy on this...you need to focus energy on life, family, friends, work/school, etc...Staying balanced in life will help keep your energy balanced.

TheReason
02-04-2011, 06:34 AM
Everyone goes through these phases. Its normal. At first its so exciting and new, and you are learning so much about things you had no idea about. After too long (as with anything) you get burned out. Thats OK. Take a break for awhile (I did for nearly 2 years now, and i'm finding my way back). Thats part of the spiritual journey in itself. You cant focus all of your time and energy on this...you need to focus energy on life, family, friends, work/school, etc...Staying balanced in life will help keep your energy balanced.

Completely agreed. I too went through the same "excitement" phase, then I went through the frustration phase, then took a break for about a year,then got back into it. It's all part of the journey!

earth2bella
02-04-2011, 06:35 AM
Just like there IS such a thing as trying too hard and once you let go is when things begin to happen.

That's incredibly backwards, but I agree with this philosophy, only not here.

Tiger
02-04-2011, 06:42 AM
Just like there IS such a thing as trying too hard and once you let go is when things begin to happen.

Thats exactly right Bella. There are some things you cannot force to happen. The harder you try to make things happen, the less likely they are to happen. A lot of things that occur with spirituality are simply part of nature, and occur naturally. You just have to let the process happen. You have initiated the process in your subconscious...sometimes thats all you need, and you just have to let nature take its course. For instance...You cant FORCE yourself to sleep... the harder you try, the more awake you are. You have to let it happen.

An example: The first time I ever attempted to astrally project consciouslly, I did. From that point on (for 3-4 months) I could NEVER get close, no matter how hard I tried, and it frustrated the hell out of me. I finally decided to just let go and 'give up'. That was exactly what I needed, because once I quit trying....I could not STOP projecting. I was projecting 3-4 times a week, not on purpose, when I would try to take naps. The seed was planted in my consciousness, and nature took its course.

Good luck!

earth2bella
02-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Tiger,

I understand, but I believe that the longer I let it slip away the further from my consciousness it gets, because I'm showing no signs of going back. I've been 'given up' for almost 2 years. The reason I gave up in the first place was so that I could grow up and get back to my normal self, whom I hadn't been in a very long time. This seeking I've done interrupted part of my development as an adult and I'm making up for it now. Saddens me to know this. But I do understand where you are coming from and thank you for your response.

Tiger
02-04-2011, 07:00 AM
Did you ever think that the reason nothing happened was so that you COULD focus on balancing your life like you are now? I think you may misunderstand the process of it all. You have to have a balance in your life....when you have too much of one side (focus on spirituality) you lack in your personal life....when you focus too much on your personal life, your spirituality lacks. Balance,balance, balance....yin and yang :).

earth2bella
02-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Yes good point. Balance balance balance! Unfortunately it's rather hard for me to achieve. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, which is the problem. I know I'll have to work extra hard at spiritual/personal life balance, that is if the spiritual side ever shows itself again.

themaster
02-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Yes good point. Balance balance balance! Unfortunately it's rather hard for me to achieve. I'm an all or nothing kind of person, which is the problem. I know I'll have to work extra hard at spiritual/personal life balance, that is if the spiritual side ever shows itself again.The angels words suggested to our class are capable, certain, commanding, senior, graciousness, presence and happy!

These are the words to higher consciousness.. (per my understanding) :D :tongue:

You might try playing with these words..

Like capable.. imagine it.. feel it..

can I tie my shoes?

Yes, I'm capable..

Senior is a very good to use with other people.. holding your space.. my teacher says.. it's a "ownership".. so try owning the room.. (not a vibration of I'm better than everyone.. just ownership.. I am senior in my space!)

Many of us have trouble making up our minds.. I wonder why than my teacher asks us to hold the vibration of certain.. if you’re feeling confused and even if not.. feel certainty.. can I do this? Yes, I'm certain..

This is what I felt like telling you.. I have absolutely no idea why I'm sharing it though :D

Orbie
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
The balance between confidence in self, having ownership, standing in your own power. The point at which ego comes in to play with all of this still confuses me.

Bella I can very much relate to what you share. All I can share is from my own experience...hang in there, all you need to do is be true to yourself. Stuff happened, stuff you couldnt explain and were blown away by it. The phone got taken off the hook. It happened. If it comes back it comes back if it doesnt it doesnt. Your spritual life is just part of you, so balance as some have already said comes into play. Be kind and true to yourself.

Good luck x

NightSpirit
02-04-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been at trying to enlightenment my self spiritually for 5 or 6 years now, in some form or another. I had had awakening in my early 20's. Once I realized what was happening, all I ever wanted to do with my time was read my books and post on these forums and practice methods of divination and psychic outlets, crystals and dream techniques and aura reading. I studied it all constantly for these past years and I tried to educate others at any opportunity I got. I was ultimately consumed by it.

But I had a 'falling out' with my spiritual progress and I stopped questioning and seeking completely, I stopped dreaming, and stopped sensing. Even when people who knew me as the go-to person for certain insights I wouldn't want to talk about it or play it off like I didn't know what to tell them.

Was this whole spiritual journey ever really meant for me? Was it a phase? Because if it was I would be on track, making progress, or at least not so estranged from it. And despite being told numerous times that this is my path, I very much doubt the validity of this. Sure it's up to me to make it happen, but I can't force it.

Imagine a line, and on the left side of the line was everything indulgent regarding spirituality and all the curiosities of the universe -- rainbow, and on the right was standard society cut-and-dry without any wonderment -- gray.. I used to be on the left side, now I'm on the right. There has never been a balance of the two.

I feel I've wasted time. I could have been pursuing my career sooner if I hadn't spent so much time on this stuff. Or vice versa, what if this is my path and I should be progressing down it. All of the progress I'd made in prior years, *it never got put to good use, I never perfected anything, it all seems lost now, and I don't have a thing to show for it.

Now when I close my eyes I sleep and that is all. I know my guides still listen but they don't respond anymore.*

I'm not mad by all of this even though it probably sounds like I am. I'm happier now and more 'normal' than I was during my spiritually indulgent 'phase'.

But what happens when you feel as though spirituality has failed you, or you have failed it? I can't tell who abandoned who..

These are very involved and are the hard questions. I'm really having to rack my brain to go back to where you are now.

It's all about the out-look, the beliefs we adopt, the way we perceive or believe things. Its not about the 'nouns' of a spiritual path. There is no emphasis on any of them.....spiritual, path, journey, tools we use, awakening, phases, guides, etc.
These are all just words to describe a belief we hold of them. An expectation we place upon them. When we do that, we are bound to be disappointed.

You awaken to what you already are. You go through the steps to actualising it all...this is the walk. Now its finalised...no props..walk the walk...
There is never failure...only the expectations fail....are you a stayer?

Cheers

Greenslade
02-04-2011, 10:48 AM

Or is there a failure? If we are Spirit on a human Journey, perhaps the Spirituality lies in being an entirely non-Spiritual human. Gotta Love the irony.

zipzip
02-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi

I totally understand what you are saying and where you are. You have not failed at anything.

A few years ago, I started my journey into spiritual, law of attraction. I got so excited and consumed trying to understand that I ended up with more questions and frustrations than anything else. I even stopped believing in God (which was actually sad for me)

I dropped it for a few years. The only "lesson" I learned through all that spiritual stuff was to trust myself and leave things alone.

Ok, a few months ago, I had a bizarre synchronicity or awakening. God started to really talk with me and I heard Him. I start reading my books and listening to my tapes and inner listening again. And Voila! It started to make sense to me. FINALLY Everything came together and it kept on rolling and rolling and coming together, making sense.......I was very , very connected.

But now that has stopped and it leaves me feeling unsatisfied. I liked feeling really connected! However, I need to break from it a bit. I still read, go onto forums, but I tread lightly and know what works for me. It is spring so I will listen to the birds and take a walk. But I know my path now and that is good. When it is time for God to talk to me again, I will waiting and listening....

zipzip:hug3:

athribiristan
02-04-2011, 03:35 PM

This isn't so uncommon. Many people experience this. Don't be too harsh on yourself.

You haven't wasted your time. You purued something that was important to you and all that you learned, wether you realize it or not, is now a part of you. Stop looking for perfection. I have been on this path since I was a young child and I am not a single step closer to perfecting anything. That can be frustrating but striving for perfection can be even more so.

Your spirituality is not someting separate. You have abandoned yourself, or more accurately you have temporarily stopped your spiritual journey. There is nothing wrong with this, maybe you just need a break. Don't worry about it until you are ready to take it up again, maybe later in this life or maybe in another. There is no hurry, just be true to yourself and let it happen in its time. Most importantly, don't judge yourself for not being 'spiritual enough'. Just accept yourself for who you are and live your life.

The answers will come when you are aready for them.

MYFIGO
02-04-2011, 03:48 PM
I think the answer is indeed "balance".

I came across a nice website that has ebooks you can read online.

http://www.spiritwritings.com/library.html (http://www.spiritualforums.com/vb/redir.php?link=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spiritwritings.com %2Flibrary.html)

I have started reading The Betty Book (1936) which I found there and the first half of it certainly confirms my own experiences. It addresses issues like balance. Some of us end up living our lives either in earthly terms or spiritual terms. In doing so, we lose our ability to experience life in it's fullest essence. Perhaps the goal is to live our earthly lives but with a spiritual point of view.

I highly recommend this book as a great reading experience.

Coming2
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
This post really tugged at my heart and I want to thank you for trusting us enough to share it. Its a really hard place to be, I know cause I am there too. What I can share is this, whatever you decide to do in regards to your spirituality is on you. If you are happier without the pursuit of this knowledge then you are right where you need to be but I wonder, are you really happy?? Somehow I feel it wouldnt matter one way or the other if you really were but you have posted because you feel something is missing in your life. At least that is how I feel. I have spent my entire life on a spiritual journey and today I feel vacant. There is a line between knowing and feeling and I dont feel the Source anymore. When you have devoted so much of your life to spiritual concerns the disconnect can be very tough. It can create depression, irritability, restlessness and feelings of discontent. I wish I knew what to tell you. Today I am trying to practice mindfulness, suit up, show up and just go through the motions hoping that I will have that AHA!! God moment when it all makes sense to me again.

I wish you the best on your journey....you will be in my prayers.

Ciqala
02-04-2011, 06:35 PM
The journey of spiritual growth and enlightenment is a roller coaster of twists, turns, ups, downs of ascending into higher frequencies, dropping into lower frequencies and learning more, or being forced into a break, then up into the ecstatic bliss, then down to work on more, and then breaks in between that are rest periods. Do not beat yourself up when you come to a period of rest, instead use it, relax and enjoy what the universe has in store for you during that time. Just because we feel we lose connection once in awhile does not mean it is all lost, it is all part of the phase of growth and adjusting. Just be well, relax and take whatever comes your way as part of the plan. Have trust, that wherever you are is needed. If you are impatient and want to speed up the process, you can always pray for it, or get a piece of Moldavite to force you into transformation mode and not be ready fully for what comes from that. Or you can be patient and go with the flow and be happy you can rest and relax. You will be called back eventually. Rest periods are important for us.

John32241
02-04-2011, 07:11 PM

In my view, spiritual work is without expectations.

Even my negative experiences that resulted from following spiritual guidance has eventually been recognized as the blessing it was.

Your spiritual Self has far greater wisdom and love for your life that you can ever imagine.

John

innerlight
02-04-2011, 07:16 PM

In my opinion most of this is not Spirituality, but is actually New Age. So it would then be seen that it's not Spirituality that is failing you, but New Age that is failing you.. And if that, or Spirituality fails you, then you move to something that appeals to you. Enlightenment is not a stop, it is a journey of lightening your mind to more knowledge and truth, and freedom.

Emmalevine
02-04-2011, 07:53 PM
I actually went through 'phases' of being preoccupied with spiritual things before it became a consistant part of my life. I went a period of maybe a few weeks where I read spiritual books, meditated on and off and tried to focus on the Now, but then I got fed up and turned my attention to other things. Then maybe a few months or even less down the track my attention would shift to spirituality again. So it went for a few years and eventually my spiritual phases became longer and deeper. I believe it's natural as we learn to integrate aspects of ourselves and our worlds and learn who we are and what we want to be. Try not to concern yourself with it too much. If it feels right for you then do it, if it doesn't then don't! You haven't failed and no one can fail at spirituality - all life is spiritual. You don't have to concern yourself overtly with spiritual things to be a spiritual person. Follow your heart and you'll find the way.

earth2bella
02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Thank you for the abundance of responses, I honestly wasn't expecting so many people to care. I have taken with me something from each of your posts and I know see what I am going through (my 'resting' period) as a good thing, and just as many of you said it is right where I need to be.

ShamanWoman
02-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Sometimes we spend too much time in the spiritual realm and are in danger of forgetting that we have a job to do on the physical realm. Thus, we are "cut off" from spiritual things for a time until we can create what we need to create in our lives. Then the spiritual creeps back in.

blackraven
02-04-2011, 09:58 PM

That's incredibly backwards, but I agree with this philosophy, only not here.

earth2bella - Right, you can try really hard to become spiritual and the process may beat you over the head, or you can sit back and simply stop trying and the next thing you know you just are (spiritual that is). That's what happened to me. You can spend years putting a lot of effort into studying various religions/philosophies and ways of being more enlightened, etc. and that's not necessarily a bad thing, but you can't forget to just live your life as well. You didn't abandon your spirituality or vice versa; it sounds like you just started to focus more on your life. That's what it's all about! :hug3:

Blackraven

inspirit
02-04-2011, 10:09 PM
You shouldn't make the mistake of forsaking your earthly life for a purely spiritual one because you are still an earth bound being and confined to the physical laws of the universe. This is probably a message that it's time for you to set roots down and start applying your spiritual knowledge to living your life in the real world.

nventr
02-04-2011, 11:57 PM
I don't believe there is a separation of earthly realm and spiritual realm. It is very spiritual to live an open earthly life.

Each moment can be an awakening, if you see the divine in all that is around you.

athribiristan
03-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Tiger,

I understand, but I believe that the longer I let it slip away the further from my consciousness it gets, because I'm showing no signs of going back. I've been 'given up' for almost 2 years. The reason I gave up in the first place was so that I could grow up and get back to my normal self, whom I hadn't been in a very long time. This seeking I've done interrupted part of my development as an adult and I'm making up for it now. Saddens me to know this. But I do understand where you are coming from and thank you for your response.

I don't want to come off the wrong way, so If I'm wrong here just ignore me.

It could be that the seeking you have done in the past was a red herring. Let me explain that a little.

I see this a LOT. Even at psychic fairs I meet readers and mediums who say all the right things and know what you are supposed to act like based on your astrological sign, and know all the healing properties of all the stones and the colors of the chakras and basically talk a great game. I met one medium recently who has no idea who she is. I look at her and just see a giant 'lost' sign. I also have a good friend who is all about being spiritual but has not one clue how to put any of what she knows into practice.

I'm not judging here, I was actually in the same place many years ago. I thought I had it all figured out, only to find that there was a whole other level that I wasn't even aware of.

I mention this mainly because you said you abandoned your path to 'grow up'. In my experience a spiritual journey is all about growth, which is what makes me think you haven't been given all the information. I think you did well to shift focus back to a more 'mundane' lifestyle.

You are obviously still interested in a spiritual path. I would say you have come to a great place to get some reality on that. I have been on a lot of forums and this is easily the best I have found. Hang out, read, post questions, read some more.

Again, if I'm off base I apologize. This is just an observation from many years of interacting with the metaphyical community.

7luminaries
04-04-2011, 02:28 PM
In my view, spiritual work is without expectations.

Even my negative experiences that resulted from following spiritual guidance has eventually been recognized as the blessing it was.

Your spiritual Self has far greater wisdom and love for your life that you can ever imagine.

John

Agreed. You have not wasted your time. It's good to get grounded in your earth element, in your daily life. You can find your path both from the ground up and also from the top down. I think this balanced approach may be the key for many to finding your footing on your own path.

Also agree with MYFIGO on the bit about living an earthly life with a spiritual perspective. They are one and the same. That's why we are told by the buddhists to continue chopping wood and carrying water after enlightenment, just as before enlightenment :smile:
Our consciousness has awakened. That's the only difference. We can now bring that awareness into the daily activities of our lives.

It's when we are able to bring the awareness of the sacred to what we normally term profane or mundane that we realise they were never separated. It was only our perception that made it seem so.

Granted, we all need that time to get away from the mundane and reconnect to our inner selves...but don't forget that your inner self is grounded in a body, which is also a reflection of the divine in its own way but exists in the material world, and so we need to honor both aspects of our existence.

Peace,
7L

earth2bella
04-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Wow you guys are all so right! All of you. Thanks so much for the responses. I would elaborate on this right now except I am at work! More to come. Thanks again!

themaster
04-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I don't want to come off the wrong way, so If I'm wrong here just ignore me.

It could be that the seeking you have done in the past was a red herring. Let me explain that a little.

I see this a LOT. Even at psychic fairs I meet readers and mediums who say all the right things and know what you are supposed to act like based on your astrological sign, and know all the healing properties of all the stones and the colors of the chakras and basically talk a great game. I met one medium recently who has no idea who she is. I look at her and just see a giant 'lost' sign. I also have a good friend who is all about being spiritual but has not one clue how to put any of what she knows into practice.

I'm not judging here, I was actually in the same place many years ago. I thought I had it all figured out, only to find that there was a whole other level that I wasn't even aware of.Nice :smile:

These are the people my teacher was talking about when he offered a channeled statistic.. that "40% of all lightworkers won't make the shift" (which is no longer accurate :D :tongue: )

Jyotir
05-04-2011, 04:27 AM
Hi earth2bella,

To be sure...it is never spirituality that fails us, but rather our assumptions, expectations, and impatience.

Assumptions and definitions about what spirituality is and is not.
Expectations concerning how we will progress, what kind of experiences we 'should' have according to those assumptions.
Impatience regarding when assumed and expected experiences or results should take place.

In the 'regular world', achievement is accomplished by adherence to some fixed program or premise, personal willfulness, assertion, insistence, conniving, etc. based on material desire and possession; pursuit of status, comfort, etc. - applied to externally defined deadlines and definitions of success and failure. From a spiritual pov, these are artificial and intrinsically 'failed' impositions.

In the spiritual life there is a different orientation and a concurrent necessity to accept larger and more encompassing criteria while having to work in and through the material world, but not for it. This usually means more patience, oneness, acceptance, surrender - and the relinquishing of intellectual and 'lower' emotional definitions and expectations, ie, identification with the untransformed impermanent aspects of being that lead to various temporal/material entrapments.

A "falling out" could be the dissatisfaction and rebellion of 'ego', which when previous long-held beliefs, well established modes of behavior and orientation are challenged as soul awakening occurs, does not want to transform and demands status-quo - - or refuses participation. Iow's, "falling out" may be a temporary identification with the ego's refusal to participate on its own terms, and this may lead to periods of 'regression', which is not the failure of spirituality, but rather the intermittent success or persistence of the 'ego' ('lower nature') in its untransformed state. Even so, these periods may still be quite necessary to experience, observe and accept, as part of a broader more general process towards eventual transformation - if anything because they are just part of the landscape we have to navigate through. So in some sense, these experiences are not the failure of spirituality but for seekers likely the result of it.

In Yoga (any deliberate practice leading towards union with God), all experiences embody potential for transformation - every moment is an opportunity - and there is nothing wasted or insignificant, including any apparent quiescence (as distinct from complacency) - which may actually indicate a period of preparation, evaluation, assimilation or practical integration that goes unnoticed except perhaps in retrospect. These may be important periods of 'emptying out', simplification and renunciation in light of new necessity to evolve and replace any obsolete expedients as needs change - pauses of reflection and evaluation - not dead or unproductive. But perhaps we may be unaware of them in this context for the moment.

It has to be like that because if we knew ahead of time and had assimilated the previous experience - what would be the point of life? Each person has their own unique song and rhythm of self-discovery, which is nothing other than God-discovery in and through the individual life, and it is all supported by God's unconditional Compassion. So why fret?

Spiritual seeking does seem to require a cheerful, open, flexible and patient willingness and endurance while invoking and integrating any divinizing experience or quality like purity, light, simplicity, love, devotion, discrimination, humility, sincerity - along with a constantly vigilant self-examination.

Releasing the old habit of focusing on and perceiving static 'results' and establishing a new orientation - a spiritualizing consciousness as a pervasive attitude towards progress as a means in itself, is an ongoing process always in development and why some teachings emphasize that 'life is a journey' - including when intermittently checking the GPS, making pit stops and staring out the window. There is always something happening.

~ J