PDA

View Full Version : The Benefits of Running

Kureigu
27-03-2011, 10:27 AM
They are truly amazing, In january 2010 i couldnt run a mile, now i can run 9/10 miles without stopping, av done really well for myself, wish there was more and more people running and doing something about there health rather than sitting in pubs allday getiing tipsy.

Edited by SF Staff

CJ82Sky
29-03-2011, 03:53 PM
id love to run but other than on my wii fit balance board on the cushioned apartment, with bad knees it's out of he question :( actually since my knee flared up yet again, it's been almost 3 weeks since i was able to do my wii fit and i miss it!

BlueSky
29-03-2011, 04:04 PM
They are truly amazing, In january 2010 i couldnt run a mile, now i can run 9/10 miles without stopping, av done really well for myself, wish there was more and more people running and doing something about there health rather than sitting in pubs allday getiing tipsy.

What if they run to the pub? lol

Congratulations on your achievement. :smile:

james

NatanEpsilon
29-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Running is great. We develop spiritually but we forget abut our Earthly Vehicle - the Body. In healthy body - healthy spirit.

Laus82
29-03-2011, 08:45 PM
I love running too. Started last year when going through a bad time. Couldn't run far at all but now i can do 10k and more! its addictive and more people should do it!

Kureigu
29-03-2011, 08:55 PM
What if they run to the pub? lol

Congratulations on your achievement. :smile:

james

Thank you brother :hug3:

Kureigu
29-03-2011, 08:56 PM
I love running too. Started last year when going through a bad time. Couldn't run far at all but now i can do 10k and more! its addictive and more people should do it!

It really is! i love it so much

Kureigu
29-03-2011, 08:57 PM
id love to run but other than on my wii fit balance board on the cushioned apartment, with bad knees it's out of he question :( actually since my knee flared up yet again, it's been almost 3 weeks since i was able to do my wii fit and i miss it!

Sorry about your knees, maybe you should try and see a Physio therapist?

Hope they get better! :cool:

Greg
07-04-2011, 06:28 PM
My mum bought me a gym membership for my birthday, which was cool, so I've been going there a bit. Also swimming alot but would like to do more running. I find myself procrastinating on it a lot. I want to lose weight though cos my anti depressants have made me gain quite a bit of weight. PLus I've read all about the endorphine highs that people can get.

Spiritlite
07-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Fristly congrats.......I'm no runner I have a raelly weak ankle where if I mess it up anymore they say I need surgery, plus I don't have the body for a runner, instead I swim. So I can kind of see where you're coming from, I remember first swimming after not doing so for years and building up to a mile (which takes 40 minutes) it's such a great feeling, I admire runners.
Spiritlite.

Cumbria
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
I wish I had the motivation to start exercises and the will power to keep at it

tragblack
07-04-2011, 09:33 PM
It's all about forming the habit. Do it, every day, for forty days, and it will become part of your routine.

Osian
07-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Hiya, i started running when i quit smoking over a year ago, i started out twice a week, sometimes 3x a week, over time my running has become more enjoyable rather than such a depressing chore to be healthy! when i feel well, slim, healthy, fit & look good, in return i feel good!! :color: mental physical & spiritual well being is what we all desire.

Spiritlite
07-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Trag blag yes make it a habit for 40 days....then you will settle in the routine......
Spiritlite

Ciqala
09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Running has great benefits.
For people with bad knees, or weak limbs and joints, it is important to regularly strengthen the area, and build muscle around the injury prone area. For example with those with bad knees, do forward lunges, lift weights on your feet or ankles and do knee strengthening exercises - in most, the knee is the weakest joint, because people don't often remember to strengthen that area, but it is the most important joint to be cared for in running. Injuries of all kinds are easily healed by strengthening up the muscles, it is one main step in physiotherapy.
Keeping the legs strong is a good thing. It is excellent to do calf muscle strengthening as well, like calf lifts, and before running do stretches and loosen up the limbs to combat injuries.
I have really bad knees, due to constant knee injuries in sports in my past, but when i strengthen them and build up muscle tissue around them they are just fine, and the injuries heal itself as long as it is strong and has muscle holding it in place.

For running, if people have joint problems, the proper running shoes are necessary, to provide shock and bounce when your feet hit the ground. Alternatives, like running on grass, soft trails in a forest, a treadmill, or a track which has a soft surface are better than running on hard surfaces like pavement, as concrete is not always beneficial to the body for anyone, the impact can injure joints. It is important to look after the body!

Perspective
13-04-2011, 02:05 PM
What if they run to the pub? lol lol :smile: Thanks for the laugh! :occasion14:

I love to run when I'm mad or stressed! It's the best release! Of course, I can only run full speed for so long...
Then I walk for a bit... which gives me time to emotionally chill out too...
Then I take off like the wind again... until I'm emotionally & physically exhausted!

Ciquala- Yeah, stretching before & after helps a lot!
Thanks for the reminder - I usually just run on pavement or a rocky path, but it would probably be better on my knees to run on a track or something softer.

nephesh
14-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't think I would ever be a runner. I do enjoy speed walking, swimming and rollerblading and have a few pieces of workout equipment.

JM80
15-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I have recently decided that I am going to get fit and lose the last few kilos of baby weight I have left. I have been working up to being able to run for longer and when I do it I find it alot of fun, I hope I have the will power to keep at it and make it a part of my daily routine.

unus supra
23-04-2011, 03:07 AM
CJ

I hope you get this. i actually had a great deal of trouble with my knees as well. In the Marine Corp a great deal of stress was placed on my body, so to a degree it was damaged.

what i found out, is that mechanically as we get older we are inclined to run in a manner that places undue stress on our knees. There is a way to modify our running so as to minimize it.

If you get the opportunity look into chi running and the pose method. the changes they offer may benefit you and allow you to take up running.

it did for me.

hope that helped.

kavon

breath
23-04-2011, 11:12 AM
I love running, but currently I'm only happy doing it on a treadmil. I'm, in the nicest possible term, viking-esque and when I run down the road people run away from me. Maybe a technique to get other people to run? lol chase them!

I do run on treadmills every weekend though, and I love it. But they say a mile on the treadmill is equal to quater of a mile on the road. Ah well. It's nicer for me, because with a treadmill I can close my eyes and listen to the rhythem of movement, and it can put me into quite a trance.

It's such a natural feeling to run, maybe one of the only primitive things we can till do today without too much attention.

lol, maybe I should deliberately dress up like a viking and go for a run, maybe start a trend. 'The Pillage Run!'

mattie
23-04-2011, 12:26 PM
..., wish there was more and more people running and doing something about there health rather than sitting in pubs allday getiing tipsy.

It is productive that you’ve found an interest other than pub sitting all day!

Some studies have found that brisk walking can be as beneficial as running for exercise & not nearly as damaging to the joints. As you’ve taken an interest in health issues, exploring some warm up stretching yoga type exercises might be a very useful complement for your running.

Time
23-04-2011, 12:36 PM
running is one of the best things you can do. Humans are built to run for hours on end, and keep going. ITs from our hunting and gathering past.

I have some knee problems as well, so its hard for me to run, but swimming and biking work really well. Im going to start getting into running again, but I have to build up my knee strength.

This includes full body stretches, especialy the calves, hamstrings and glutes. Stretching stops the mucles from geting tight and helps to eventualy ease some pain. Strengthening it takes a little bit more time. Leg press, biking, swimming, hanstring curls, and any excersise that works out the entire leg is good, becasue all the muscles around the injury are compensating for the damaged area ( which can cause some pain in itself)

A great study that was just done, has shown that running in shoes, even professional running shoes causes more shock and impact to run up your legs into your back. While barefoot running had little no no impact. Shoes force our feet to hit the ground differently then when we are barefoot. This always causes undo impact to your ankles and knees, even if you have perfect form.

LOl breath... im the same way. Im not a small guy, and i tend to walk with purpose, let alone run LOL. That IS a good way to get people to move!

Time
23-04-2011, 12:38 PM
sry... grats dude!!!! I didnt know that it was that big of an improvement dude!

breath
23-04-2011, 02:40 PM
running is one of the best things you can do. Humans are built to run for hours on end, and keep going. ITs from our hunting and gathering past.

I have some knee problems as well, so its hard for me to run, but swimming and biking work really well. Im going to start getting into running again, but I have to build up my knee strength.

This includes full body stretches, especialy the calves, hamstrings and glutes. Stretching stops the mucles from geting tight and helps to eventualy ease some pain. Strengthening it takes a little bit more time. Leg press, biking, swimming, hanstring curls, and any excersise that works out the entire leg is good, becasue all the muscles around the injury are compensating for the damaged area ( which can cause some pain in itself)

A great study that was just done, has shown that running in shoes, even professional running shoes causes more shock and impact to run up your legs into your back. While barefoot running had little no no impact. Shoes force our feet to hit the ground differently then when we are barefoot. This always causes undo impact to your ankles and knees, even if you have perfect form.

LOl breath... im the same way. Im not a small guy, and i tend to walk with purpose, let alone run LOL. That IS a good way to get people to move!

:D!

I think you can get these new-age super shoes that are basically socks with a thin layer of rubber across the bottom and a split between the big toe and the rest of the toes. A good excersize for people who need low impact 'running' type excersizes is walking up steep hills. You'd be amazed at how fast your heart rate rises, my pulse raised up to about 201 just doing a massive incline walk on a treadmill.

And what you said about running. Weirdly humans are a bit of a picky hybrid, we've got the legs to run but the spine to crawl on all fours and a rib cage to run with hands and feet not just legs.

The best excersize for a human with little impact is swimming, cycling and climbing. I'd be up for a bit of tree hopping, used to LOVE that as a kid. Can't believe how high I'd climb now I'm an adult... Fearless. Sitting up in the evergreen looking trees, licking the back of the bark, that yellowy stuff that tasted slightly of orange juice with my best mate. Saving his bloody kittens from impending doom...

Those were the days.

:rolleyes:

Time
23-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah... ive seen those. But nohting building some caluses couldnt solve. I used to be able to walk on glass LOL.

Were barley even evolved. We have lots of "growing up to do" i guess. hence they "Weird hybrid" as you put it LOL.

Sundialed
19-06-2011, 03:49 PM
10 km 43 mins beat that craig! haha jk..

i am most spiritually evolving when running is a part of my regime.

Spiritlite
20-06-2011, 04:15 PM
I think that just as beneficial as running is, swimming is JUSt as beneficial....it excercises ALL muscles of the body not just the arms, it's very meditative and it doesn't hurt your joints.
Spiritlite.

Sundialed
20-06-2011, 06:37 PM
10 km 43 mins beat that craig! haha jk..

i am most spiritually evolving when running is a part of my regime.

edit,

i did it in 50 minutes today lol

and yeah swimming is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome! one day i'll swim with ya!

Spiritlite
21-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Symbiotic sure come on down and we'll take a swim.
Spiritlite

Kureigu
21-06-2011, 05:00 PM
l ran 11.5 km , ln 1 hour, am guna run 12.5 km ton1ght

Deusdrum
29-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Running is good for increasing serotonin levels, it is a natural anti-depressant in that sense. Anything that get your heart pumping is i think.

It is also much less impactful on the knees to run on a treadmill as opposed to concrete or pavement. I tried at one point to go jogging, but i found it boring and prefer sports or just a treadmill where i can zone out a bit and not have to worry about how much further until i get home.

I love walking though, strangely enough. Or bike riding. Any sort of regular cardiovascular exercise routine is very beneficial and worthwhile in my opinion. Keep that blood flowing and heart pumping, within moderation of course, unless you enjoy the torture of iron man marathons lol, which i could never do, but i respect those can achieve that level of physical endurance.

Spiritlite
29-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I envy runners but with my ankle if I ran I would tear it up so bad I'd need surgery in a month, I'm not kidding I'm still wearing a brace from a slight twist from 2 months ago....UGH...so swimming for me and yoga...I LOVE IT.
Spiritlite.

Sundialed
29-06-2011, 09:59 PM
ahh my ankle is hurtin from last monday's 10 km run i wish i could run moreeeeee boooo it feels sooo good

Spiritlite
29-06-2011, 10:30 PM
lol Self also I don't have the body of a runner more the body of a swimmer.
Spiritlite.

7luminaries
30-06-2011, 07:51 PM
;) I am very athletic and used to run loads...but I agree with Spiritlite.
Swimming & yoga are just as challenging...and much easier if you are really top-heavy :tongue: walking good too!

That was the only place I didn't lose all the weight after I had my son...6 yrs ago, LOL... :rolleyes:

7L

Spiritlite
30-06-2011, 11:25 PM
7 thankyou so much people don't understand how tough swimming is, people think you just use your arms but you use ALL parts of your body all muscles are involved and it's not easy to swim a mile a day in under 35 minutes using different strokes, and yoga is challenging plus I'm top heavy in terms of I'm very broad shouldered etc so I'm not a runners body.
Spiritlit.e

Sundialed
01-07-2011, 05:10 AM
7 thankyou so much people don't understand how tough swimming is, people think you just use your arms but you use ALL parts of your body all muscles are involved and it's not easy to swim a mile a day in under 35 minutes using different strokes, and yoga is challenging plus I'm top heavy in terms of I'm very broad shouldered etc so I'm not a runners body.
Spiritlit.e

yay for yoga and swimming wooowowowo love em both especially hot yoga

Spiritlite
01-07-2011, 05:43 AM
Symbiotic I've always wanted to try hot yoga but scared I wouldn't last :)
Spiritlite.

Sundialed
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Symbiotic I've always wanted to try hot yoga but scared I wouldn't last :)
Spiritlite.

they always tell you to take it easy and do what you can, it is your class by the way. you should have seen me the first time! i was soooooo sweaty that my mat couldn't keep my feet stabilized the teacher came over and recommended a towel on my mat for next time lol. i almost didn't last the first few but after you get a few in you you love it so much! i was addicted. i'm going today for the first time in a while

Castles
31-08-2011, 09:43 PM
I used to run every day for half an hour after work but I'll be honest I was doing it for vanity rather than health. I wanted to lose some weight but after a couple of months and not really noticing a difference on the scales I lost my drive. I have just recently enrolled in a gym membership and intend to start tomorrow! :)

Silver
31-08-2011, 10:03 PM
Even though it's good to know one's weight from time to time, I say throw away the scales and just do the exercise that you ENJOY! I like walking and yoga, swimming and dancing. I learned free weights and like Tony Little's routines.

Sundialed
01-09-2011, 02:35 AM
Even though it's good to know one's weight from time to time, I say throw away the scales and just do the exercise that you ENJOY! I like walking and yoga, swimming and dancing. I learned free weights and like Tony Little's routines.

exactly that which you enjoy is the aim. but again sometimes what you don't enjoy is what brings you bueno benefits, but i am not here to argue. sometimes i like to skip down the street! backwards forwards sideways all ways. it's fun and a good exercise. why doesn't anybody skip anymore lol.

Miran
28-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Edited by SF Staff

Quite amazing isn't it? I started running a year or two ago, like you I couldnt run a mile. At one point I was running 7 some odd miles.. I never did 9 or 10 mile runs, but I'm fairly confident I could have. I often do 3.5 mile runs during the week with a flat terrain.On the weekends I run 4 miles with a different route that includes a lot of up hill terrain.

Racer X
04-12-2011, 12:13 AM
The Benefits of Running

include but not limited too:
staying out of jail
not getting beat up by bullies......as often
being eaten by lions, tigers and bears........ food runs

psychoslice
04-12-2011, 12:49 AM
I think a brisk walk bets running any day, and there is also less wear and tear on the body in a fast walk.

Arcturus
08-12-2011, 07:26 AM
hill walking preferably for me, if i could. did running for a while, pounding the ankles, all explosive no implosive like tai chi, yoga. i see folk running on roads, listening to the music with that "i'm gonna be fit" look in their eyes, whilst inhaling fumes, looking in pain. you get more from a hill walk, looking at nature, fresh air, peacefull, nice view + exercise. gym, weights, running all send energy away from the centre to the muscles...tai chi, yoga sucks energy in, implodes it to the centre, nourishing organs, bones, tendons and muscles. the universe is predominantly implosive. explosive activity is necessary, but it's always overdone. you should feel better after exercise, not just the endorphin rush but feel energised, not requiring any recovery time.

Freeda65
14-12-2011, 10:26 AM
There are a number of different benefits which an individual can gain from running on a regular basis. There are some runners who run simply for the joy of running but there are others who run because they realize there are a great deal of benefits which can be gained from rigorous exercise such as running. Some of these benefits may include weight loss, improved cardiovascular health, improved bone health, improved mood and better coordination. This article will briefly describe how running can result in each of these benefits.

Those who are looking to lose a few pounds often find running to be one of the most effective forms of exercise for helping them to achieve their ideal body weight. Running is an excellent form of exercise for losing weight because it requires a great deal of energy. This energy requirement means the body burns a large number of calories while running. The number of calories burned while running is typically significantly more than would be burned during less taxing forms of exercise such as walking or doing yoga. The simplest formula for weight loss includes burning off more calories than the individual consumes. When this type of calorie deficit is created, the body begins to shed excess weight in the form of fat. In order to lose one pound of body weight, the body must create a calorie deficit of 3500 calories. This is equal to burning 500 calories per day. Most runners can easily burn off this many calories in less than one hour of exercise. The number of calories burned while running depends on a number of factors including the individual’s weight, the intensity of the workout and the efficiency of the runner. Improved cardiovascular health is another benefit of running. Some of the benefits of running include lowering the blood pressure and helping the arteries to maintain their elasticity. While runner, the arteries expand and contract approximately three times as much as they do when you are sedentary. This means you are not only working out to improve your physical appearance but also the overall function of your body. In doing this the risk of heart attack and stroke becomes diminished.

Running is also beneficial for slowing down the aging process. Those who run regularly are less likely to experience bone and muscle loss as they age at the same pace as those who do not run regularly or at all. The bones grow and become stronger by responding to physical demands. Those who lead a rather sedentary lifestyle do not put this type of demand on their bones and as a result the bones may become weaker. When this happens the individual is more likely to be susceptible to osteoporosis as they age. Conversely, those who run on a regular basis are continually taxing their muscles and their bones so the bones are stimulated to remain stronger and do not as easily weaken with age.

Bhishma
22-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I love to run ;)

Sarian
01-02-2012, 12:22 AM
I love running, but currently I'm only happy doing it on a treadmil. I'm, in the nicest possible term, viking-esque and when I run down the road people run away from me. Maybe a technique to get other people to run? lol chase them!

I do run on treadmills every weekend though, and I love it. But they say a mile on the treadmill is equal to quater of a mile on the road. Ah well. It's nicer for me, because with a treadmill I can close my eyes and listen to the rhythem of movement, and it can put me into quite a trance.

It's such a natural feeling to run, maybe one of the only primitive things we can till do today without too much attention.

lol, maybe I should deliberately dress up like a viking and go for a run, maybe start a trend. 'The Pillage Run!'
LOL, Breath...you should get out there and enjoy anyway. I like to run/jog on trails. I don't like roads, I guess I'm too self-conscious. I don't like traffic passing me. I don't even like to be on trails and passing people. I go early morning or closer to evening. I can deal with one place I go with the people that go there regularly like me to hike and jog.

I have to get out there and jog...i love to run, but when I put some pounds back on just recently, I feel like lard. I hate it. I feel like I have to start all over again. I wish I could run a whole mile without stopping here and there. Maybe it's just in my mind that I have to stop because when I run, I feel awesome, but then at any given time, I'll feel like ****...and have to stop instantly, walk for a bit, then continue on.

I went out yesterday for the first time in a few months and attempted to jog and I felt good briefly, then ugh...p*ssed me off.

Sundialed
02-02-2012, 01:18 AM
Way to revive this bad boy lol.

I just bought some Vomero 6's. Can't wait for the snow to go away and try em out. Don't know if i'll get a gym membership.. prob not.

Dougles
23-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Hi Kureigu,
Thanks for starting running threat and like to add some benefits of running here.
Running reduces the risk the risk of heart attack by half and increase the strength of our heart, lungs and oxygen inhaled results great amount of energy especially to your joints. Running prevent from high blood pressure, depression, stress and anxiety and promotes muscular development.

Godwin
29-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Running is the best exercises because it helps you burn the calories.
Just in 30 minutes a person can easily burn 300 calories.

my_road
29-02-2012, 09:57 PM
i get alot of chubby runners over take me, i keep thinking no way lol im rather slim but these big guys seem to have better endurance and keep going, probaly experience, im only a beginner yet.

my_road
05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
hi what is speed walking lol is this what they do in marathon then start running again then to speed walking, i dout any could run all 26miles unless u like a tough marine guy lol

Natalllie
10-03-2012, 08:01 AM
I run up to 10km a day 5 days a week! its the best feeling and when your done, it also clears your mind for spiritually growth.

I also love listening to music sometimes aswell through my ipod it makes me jog faster the the tunes.

Sarian
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
It makes you feel free. I am off soon as I take my daughter to work, to my favorite place to go and run. I went the other evening during a high windstorm and then rains came. I took off my ipod to simply run with the wind and hear it. I used to always go with no music, but sometimes for rythm I like music to get lost in and run. Like you mentioned Natalilie..some tunes do make you run faster.

I sometimes feel like I'm a deer running through the trails lol

blackraven
12-03-2012, 01:24 AM
It makes you feel free. I am off soon as I take my daughter to work, to my favorite place to go and run. I went the other evening during a high windstorm and then rains came. I took off my ipod to simply run with the wind and hear it. I used to always go with no music, but sometimes for rythm I like music to get lost in and run. Like you mentioned Natalilie..some tunes do make you run faster.

I sometimes feel like I'm a deer running through the trails lol

Sarian - I envy you because I use to be a runner. There was nothing like putting on my headphones and running shoes and taking my mind to a place that coincided with my physical exhilaration. But a few years back I broke my ankle and had a metal plate screwed in. I've tried to take to my running shoes since breaking my ankle, but it's too painful so I have to just either walk or stairmaster. I have some medals and plaques from foot races I won prior to my accident that I keep tucked away in a box for rainy day contemplation of a time that was magical. So run on girlfriend!

Blackraven

Sarian
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Oh, Blackraven, that's so sad. I'm so sorry. I'll run with you in mind today. I feel like I'm going through a transformation right now and it's pretty cool. I was so down, and now I'm really and truly looking forward to life, the spring. Like this is finally going to be the spring of my life. :-)

can you walk trails, or does your ankle hurt after a period of time. If you can walk, go to a park, I go to the trails that are more secluded, and when I go to Taughannock to run, I make sure to go at times when the upper trails have very few hikers. (Early morning and evenings)...in the summer, tourists can take over in the afternoons. I like my solitude...but if you can do that, maybe you can get some great enjoyment from that too? That's how I started out lol...I couldn't run to save myself at first, I was so out of shape. As a teen I ran all the time. No one could catch up with me...even into my 20s...but then family life set in and pffffffffft. Plus I quit smoking many years back when I decided to take it up again (running)...omg! I thought I'd cough up a lung LOL!

Can you brisk walk? That's a good feeling too with the ipod on.

Anyway, I'm so sorry about your ankle. I've twisted and sprained mine in the past pretty bad and that was no fun... pulled tendons..eek..but I can't imagine breaking bones and as badly as you did ((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

blackraven
12-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Sarian - That's so remarkable that you gave up smoking. That's so good for you. Thanks for the ((((HUGS))) I was enjoying a solitude winter brisk walk through a wooded park with my dog a few years back when I broke my ankle while slipping on ice. I had to crawl out of the park and knock on a woman's door for help. It was a severe break. It didn't break horizontally across the bone, but twisted up vertically through it. That's why they had to screw a plate into the side of my ankle, to reinforce it. I have to be careful not to roll or twist my ankle at all or it puts pressure on the plate and ouch!!! Running puts too much jolting on it, but I can brisk walk. I do enjoy nature walks whenever possible. Hope you do have a great spring. I got out yesterday in the warm temperatures and transplanted 3 boxwoods. Yoohoo!

Blackraven

Sarian
13-03-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi Blackraven! Yeah, I did it cold turkey too. It was hard for the first 4 months and then poof...one day I realized I didn't feel the urge or have the cravings..mostly it seemed to had become a habitual thing (like a smoke and coffee in the a.m...after food, with a drink, on the computer, in the car lol) I used smoking like a crutch for so many years.

Wow, that's horrible what you endured!! And having to crawl for help. I'm so sorry that happened to you. I can't imagine. I've slipped on ice plenty of times, but you must have done a dandy job. there is a tree where I go and today I saw that it was twisted and broken severely by winds...I am imaging your ankle doing that!! omgosh!

I'm so glad you can brisk walk still, that's good. Good for you planting boxwoods!

It was a lovely day today... I took my daughter out and about, and then we both went to TF and walked/jogged. I left her in the dust...I teased her as she's 22 and skinny, and she couldn't keep up lol. When I got home, I started cleaning up areas on the yard. Lots of pulling out old weeds and clearing areas, and hauling them over to the burn pile, then I went to this one area (my ex has a huge pile of junk that got taken over with weeds. I'll be SO glad to reclaim that area and clean it out!!) anyway, I started ripping up tarps he had on the ground and throwing old wood in there and burning that and old weed stalks like goldenrod... had a nice fire going. Plus ants got into one of my apple trees so badly that a huge half of the tree broke off. Some still grew, but the other half died, and I was breaking off limbs and burning those. I got quite the work out today.

Enjoy your spring, blackraven!

Crooks
15-03-2012, 11:19 AM
It do not break the stamina.Running makes the circulation of blood in circulation with full volume and makes the heart beat normal in beating.

Fergal
04-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Courtney
17-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Agreed! I get out and jog whenever I can! When the weather is nicer in the spring, summer, and early fall, I run every single day. It's truly fulfilling.

Sonia84
19-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Daily running Prevent muscle and bone loss.

Kenneath
18-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi Kureigu,
Great threat on running benefits and like to add running makes heart and lungs strong and reduce the risk of heart attack by half. Oxygen inhaled during running results great amount of energy especially to your joints and promotes muscular development and improves blood circulation system. Running reduce the cholesterol level, stabilize blood pressure and prevent from depression, stress and anxiety.

MarkHerry
29-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Running is a wonderful exercise and it has so many health benefits. Running increases strength and helps us in fat burning. Anyway its a nice thread and all posts are wonderful.

sweetair
02-01-2014, 07:00 AM
if my joints hurt and i cant run i do squats to strenghten the muscles instead i alternate squats and rest it feels like a cardio workout

AdAstra
07-01-2014, 11:32 PM
I have to say running helps me tremendously with my depression. Ive only recently learned how much it does due to not being able to run until another few months. Since I stopped running in June last year I had worse depression lack of focus and just not feeling that great. But when I do run, everything is ok :) I love to run, I recommend it for anyone but especially people who might have depression or lack of focus.

pdizzle45
14-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Out of the many different benefits one can get from running, i find a sense of well being and inner calmness my favorite

Belle
26-01-2014, 08:01 PM
I was in the gym today and I was inspired to run. In fact I've been thinking of running for a while. I managed 1 minute. It felt good, but I did struggle I have to say.

I'm slightly wary about running prefering a fast walk as there is less problems on the joints - i have wonky feet and unevenness which creates a yuck - but running evenly and smoothly is fine. Too many runners do themself a mischief with their running.

AdAstra
27-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Yeah I worry about how my joints will be in the future because of running...but it just feels too good to not do it. Maybe there are certain ways to run to prevent injuries, or invest in some vibram toe shoes? :P

AdAstra
27-01-2014, 09:15 PM
I hear they're better for your balance and joints since it's like running barefoot almost

Belle
27-01-2014, 09:24 PM
I love those toe shoes

Running in a relaxed, athletic, even way is ok - if you are not overweight - I would say - but if you are overweight, then perhaps fast-walking is better? I used to fast-walk with my trainer when I had one and oh boy you could really work up a sweat and a heart beat by serious fast walking. And all that without the banging on the joints.

vitalspark
27-01-2014, 09:49 PM
I just started jogging about three weeks ago. I already noticed a difference and have dropped a few pounds. Mostly, I like it because I don't have to make a big effort to drive to the gym, pay, change, etc. I used to swim regularly but I work nights now and the swim schedule just doesn't work with my work schedule. So running has been the best choice since I can run before I go to work.

I feel great but I still can't run very far at all. I usually jog for a short while and then speed walk and then run, repeat. I have noticed a difference in how long I can go though. I think it will be a slow progression for me. I'm so out of shape and overweight - but I'm not really doing it to lose weight. I'm doing it so that I can keep my body moving. Plus I think it's an excellent form of meditation!

Glad I got into it... I'm not doing it every day but rather 3-4 times a week. Hopefully in a few months I can come back and say that I can run for much longer!

Belle
27-01-2014, 10:02 PM
Rest is very very important in a workout schedule. Be sure to build rest days into a schedule as it is by resting that muscles actually strengthen.

And rest after a workout - not a 24/7 rest!

Landon
29-03-2014, 07:39 AM
It's good for the health and fitness.

sealily
09-04-2014, 07:02 PM
I just started running about 2 or so weeks ago, and I'm hoping to stick with it for good this time. I still cannot run very far without getting tired and needing to slow down for a bit, but I have already noticed a difference in how far I can run compared to when I first started! I'm very happy with my improvement so far, even if it is only a little. :)

pdizzle45
11-04-2014, 01:07 AM
I just started running about 2 or so weeks ago, and I'm hoping to stick with it for good this time. I still cannot run very far without getting tired and needing to slow down for a bit, but I have already noticed a difference in how far I can run compared to when I first started! I'm very happy with my improvement so far, even if it is only a little. :)

you and i both. i've been running for about 2 weeks now, and my physical fitness levels are turrible. however, each time i run i gain a little more stamina and speed. plus i focus on how great i feel when i've finished running!

sweetair
17-04-2014, 09:02 AM
wow now i dont feel paint at my joints after a month of trying to jog i can now jog for 4 hours you can also do it but dont force urself

JellyBean
02-10-2014, 04:01 PM
I have more energy and my legs look good :)

Ilush
30-12-2014, 05:25 PM
running increases determination and willpower.

goodlife
15-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Totally agree. I started doing some exercise after a long time and my life changed already a lot. Our bodies need exercise. I started slowly as I had issues with my heart. I walked around for a few weeks at a slow pace, but now I am running in the gym over 3km and do some weight lifting. Exercise can truly change your life!

joehall
05-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Running is an excellent full body exercise which can benefit your cardiovascular system and improved brain and eye health if done properly with good form. It can also help you lose weight and improve body composition. Running can improve bone density making your bones stronger as you age.

I started running to improve my bone strength, and then I steadily improved and now I just finished my second marathon. Besides all of the health benefits, once you become a runner it gives you something to hold on to. I can lose everything, but I will still have this one beautiful thing. (Unless I lose my legs or something)

Sarian
12-04-2016, 11:08 PM
I absolutely love trail running. I prefer to go in the mornings. I prefer more solitude places to run and if I go to any of the nearby parks, I go early in the morning to avoid people, but I have a great place hardly anyone goes to or nature lovers. Not only for the exercise itself but it's so rejuvenating to be out on the trails surrounded by trees, meadows, birds, ducks, geese, deer, fox, frogs...etc...

Somnia
13-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Currently I've been running on my elliptical using enough resistance to feel the burn...I haven't progressed to running on earthly terrain, but I've noticed I have a lot more stamina when walking outside and I don't get winded when walking up hills anymore...Naturally, I've lost quite a bit of weight (25 lbs since last November and I'm still going...) and due to the weight loss I've noticed an improvement in my knees...My knees don't ache nearly as much as they use too and I don't have any more problems when I'm bending at the knees...I'm guessing it was due to the extra weight I've been slogging around, Haha! ;P

So yeah, if a person is able to run, it is a really great full bodied workout to get into...

Diana W
19-05-2016, 03:54 AM
I'd actually just posted this on my Your Space page and decided to copy and paste it here rather than typing it out here.

In December 2014 my A1C was 7.2 and the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication to treat my diabetes. I'd already been on Metformin since August 2008. This second medication has been strongly linked with causing liver problems, even failure.

Something in me snapped. I'd had enough. That winter was brutally cold and it seemed to snow every week so I got plenty of cardio. But as March rolled around the temperature finally rose to 40 and I went out every day, walking. I walked two miles, then three. Walking led to running. I ran my first mile. I ran two miles, three, four. My weight started falling off. I lost 35 lbs last year. My fasting sugar dropped from averaging 120 down to averaging in the 70's and 80's. April 22nd, the day after my birthday, I stopped taking Metformin all together. I monitored my fasting sugar daily. I still do. In June my A1C was 5.8, which is considered normal. In October it was 5.5. To this day I'm off all medication and my fasting sugar is still good. I seem to have slacked off a bit in my running. I need to get back to it. But my diabetes is still under control so I'm happy. I just wanted to share that.

So I can testify that running can work wonders for your health. Taking up running was one of the smartest things I ever did.

Somnia
19-05-2016, 04:51 AM
NYBrit - That's awesome! I know of several people who were able to transition off their medications by implementing healthier lifestyle choices where now they are completely medication free...

masterdojo
15-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Edited by SF Staff

Yea running is great. Cleans out your body and your circulation, gets all the bad out of your body. Makes you feel great and gives you a nice endorphine rush afterwards

Alice_1
05-10-2016, 07:31 PM
I like running and do it in the morning. It really helps to wake up.

RedEmbers
29-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Does anyone here struggle with reay tight calf muscles and shin splints?

It doesn't seem to matter how much or little I run every I have a constant issue with it.

I walk most days a week and streatch and massage my calves after walking which does help but there is still an issue.

I enjoy running and am fit enough now where brisk walking can sometimes get a little boring... I want to be able to run too 😠

Patrycia-Rose
26-12-2016, 11:52 AM
I've been running on a treadmill for about ten years. I don't feel right if I don't run two to three times per week. I just love the endorphin high I get from a run. I can often start thinking I don't feel in the mood, or I don't quite have enough energy - but I do it anyway, cos I just know that I'll feel a million dollars after. I also find the endorphin high last several hours.

Brucely
29-12-2016, 08:19 AM
The only thing id like to add is to STOP RUNNING ON MAIN ROADS. Deeply inhaling exhaust cant be doing good

Sarian
29-12-2016, 08:41 PM
I hate running on main roads. I get no peace or satisfaction from it. It will feel like a chore. I go to my trails as I have probably already mentioned a dozen times. I never thought about the exhaust... but running on roads for me feels no different that running on a treadmill in a gym. I like solitude when I go and nature around me. LOTS OF TREES. Then I get the needed activity of running and it's invigorating and I can get into a meditative state or a contemplative state...and I love it when the runner's high kicks in and I go for longer. :-)

I've been cooped up in this office all day and would love to get out and run now. I don't care what the weather is either or how cold/hot...snow, rain, storms...don't matter...out running it's all good.