PDA

View Full Version : Where did Rabbits/eggs come into easter?

Lovely
27-03-2011, 05:05 AM
I put this in Christianity since Easter is a Christian holiday.
If it is in the wrong place sorry.

Anyways......
The association with rabbits/eggs and easter makes no sense.
They have nothing to do with Jesus.

I mean even rabbits and eggs aren't related.
Rabbits are mammals, they don't lay eggs!
So how did all these three unrelated things:A Christian holiday, Rabbits,
and Eggs get put together?

It doesn't make sense.

And how did candy get dragged into this as well?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but it doesn't make sense
and I would like an answer.

Thank you for reading :D
:hug3:

nightowl
27-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Lovely,
As many holidays Easter also has its origins in paganism.
This link explains it well...

http://www.goddessgift.com/Pandora%27s_Box/Easter-history.htm

nightowl

Lovely
27-03-2011, 05:20 AM
Lovely,
As many holidays Easter also has its origins in paganism.
This link explains it well...

http://www.goddessgift.com/Pandora%27s_Box/Easter-history.htm

nightowl

Thanks for that link.
I can't read it now, but I will soon.
Again, thank you :D

nightowl
27-03-2011, 05:40 AM
my pleasure :hug3:

Sangress
27-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Great link.

I'm thinking of becoming pagan, or partly pagan....lol.

Lightspirit
27-03-2011, 07:36 AM
Hers what I know about easter.. I guess.

Pagan origins it has.

In acts in the bible it talks about Herod going to easter to celebrate it not the christians.

I cant vouch for this in its accuracy- You know how it is with the internet!

I asked people once on a Christian forum if this is true and many agreed.
I think a couple of things were picked as questionable but I cant remember which ones.

http://www.lasttrumpetministries.org/tracts/tract1.html

http://www.fellowshipofthemartyrs.com/home/index.php/articles/about-church/533-easter-rabbits-and-colored-eggs-t-miller.html

Easter is kinda funny I thought for ages it was invented only by us Christians.

I have known for years the eat fish on good Friday thing was..fishy, lol coz its not requirement of the bible or written in it.

That article could explain a a lot of your questions.

@ sangress after I read those i thought about your previous post and thought since a few pagan things got into the catholic church Sister Sangress might be suitable option for you...

It ga

theophilus
28-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Lovely,
As many holidays Easter also has its origins in paganism.Easter had its origin in the resurrection of Jesus Christ. After Christianity became the official relgion of the Roman Empire many people professed to be Christians because of the material benefits they could gain and they brought their pagan customs with them.

Mind's Eye
28-03-2011, 05:33 PM
No, no, no.... You guys have it all wrong. The story of Easter goes like this: After Jesus was crucified he was laid in the tomb. It was unknown to any of the Roman soldiers and followers of Christ, that tomb was also the home of a little bunny rabbit.

And when that cosmic force of God filled that dark tomb and raised Jesus from the dead, that mighty power also zapped that little bunny. Jesus was suddenly alive and the rabbit was transformed into this half god, half human rabbit.

So Jesus turned to the Father and said, "now what are we going to do.. we not only have a God man, but a God rabbit? This is really going to confuse people about who to follow."

After much conversation and debate.. it was decided that the two would share the holiday. Jesus gets to be the risen son of God. And the rabbit gets to bring candy and baskets to all those who believe in the son of God. The only problem was that he broke that rule and started leaving goodies for everybody. This confused matters after a while though.

Be rest assured that what I tell you is the truth. Before the church councils got a hold of the Bible and started plucking books from its pages.. There was 1st and 2nd Peter cottentail.. I think those books actually followed 1st and 2nd Peter. Yet some speculate that the books credited to Saint Peter were actually a greatly edited version of the books written by the rabbit.. Which also opens the door to the debate about the first Pope being the Easter Bunny.... But that's an entirely different story. :wink:

iolite
28-03-2011, 06:00 PM
No, no, no.... You guys have it all wrong. The story of Easter goes like this: After Jesus was crucified he was laid in the tomb. It was unknown to any of the Roman soldiers and followers of Christ, that tomb was also the home of a little bunny rabbit.

And when that cosmic force of God filled that dark tomb and raised Jesus from the dead, that mighty power also zapped that little bunny. Jesus was suddenly alive and the rabbit was transformed into this half god, half human rabbit.

So Jesus turned to the Father and said, "now what are we going to do.. we not only have a God man, but a God rabbit? This is really going to confuse people about who to follow."

After much conversation and debate.. it was decided that the two would share the holiday. Jesus gets to be the risen son of God. And the rabbit gets to bring candy and baskets to all those who believe in the son of God. The only problem was that he broke that rule and started leaving goodies for everybody. This confused matters after a while though.

Be rest assured that what I tell you is the truth. Before the church councils got a hold of the Bible and started plucking books from its pages.. There was 1st and 2nd Peter cottentail.. I think those books actually followed 1st and 2nd Peter. Yet some speculate that the books credited to Saint Peter were actually a greatly edited version of the books written by the rabbit.. Which also opens the door to the debate about the first Pope being the Easter Bunny.... But that's an entirely different story. :wink:

:laughing4:

nightowl
28-03-2011, 08:08 PM
heheee...thesphinx :D I heard it was the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the first easter egg was the holy hand granade...geese now I don't know what to believe!!!! :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

Kaere
28-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Could be a good thread - can we keep the disrespect and insults down to a dull roar please everyone?

nightowl
28-03-2011, 08:47 PM
sorry was just playin' didn't mean to offend...:hug:

Mind's Eye
29-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Could be a good thread - can we keep the disrespect and insults down to a dull roar please everyone?

You have to read that story with the old Rankin Bass holiday cartoons in mind. Picture the Fred Astaire puppet narrating the epic happenings as the story unfolds via the other characters.

Rankin Bass used elements of many myths, religions and and even a healthy dose of made up legends in many of their tales.

Lightspirit
29-03-2011, 09:35 AM
sorry was just playin' didn't mean to offend...:hug:
lol you might as well poke fun at it the christians pinched it from the pagans and the store retailers and advertising people pinched it from everyone else. They turned Easter and Christmas into the holy retail season of advertising extravaganza and gulttony & excess.
Then Hollywood redefines its meaning every year.

It breaks my heart every year. We bulldoze forests to make retailers and shareholders richer.

Every year we try to hold onto some of its origins...

Animus27
29-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Eggs and rabbits supposedly come from an Anglo-Saxon goddess testified by the English historian named Bede, named Eostre. Who, according to him, was a very popular goddess of spring-time. Since many Christian holidays absorbed pagan ones, it's not a stretch to see how Christianity adopted Germanic customs to make the conversion process more easier for the people.

iolite
29-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Any holiday that I get chocolate out of is OK with me!!

Fire7
01-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I have wondered the same

Shim
04-04-2011, 03:25 AM
lol you might as well poke fun at it the christians pinched it from the pagans and the store retailers and advertising people pinched it from everyone else. They turned Easter and Christmas into the holy retail season of advertising extravaganza and gulttony & excess.
Then Hollywood redefines its meaning every year.

It breaks my heart every year. We bulldoze forests to make retailers and shareholders richer.

Every year we try to hold onto some of its origins...

What interests me more is the Friday before. We celebrate this day to be when Jesus was laid in the tomb to rest. However if we take the scripture below from Friday to Sunday that puts Jesus in the belly of the earth for only two nights and three days, if we include a partial day to be concluded as one day. But we can't work around this being only two nights on these celebrated days.

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

nightowl
04-04-2011, 03:37 AM
What interests me more is the Friday before. We celebrate this day to be when Jesus was laid in the tomb to rest. However if we take the scripture below from Friday to Sunday that puts Jesus in the belly of the earth for only two nights and three days, if we include a partial day to be concluded as one day. But we can't work around this being only two nights on these celebrated days.

Matthew 12:40

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth

Shim,
I have read a good explanation of this from the view point of Judaism, if you are so inclined you might want to look it up. I can't remember the exact site but if you search the crucifixion from the Jewish perspective you might come across it. :color: