PDA

View Full Version : My friend's (kind of mundane, but still cool) story

Adrift
26-03-2011, 09:21 PM
I hung out with a friend of mine a few nights ago who has Tourette's syndrome...his isn't severe, but he has some ticks and some weird, random outbursts. He's kind of a socially awkward kid, but he's *really* funny at the same time, and a very good person, so I like hanging out with him. But I know he is definitely a bit insecure about his Tourette's.

Anyway, I went to the bar with him the other night, and he told me a story about meeting another guy with Tourette's at the bar. A guy whose Tourette's was so bad he couldn't hold down a job, because he had constant, uncontrollable ticks that were clearly a distraction in the workplace...the guy was really down on his luck and more or less living on disability checks.

But after getting a surgery that cost over $300,000 (yay capitalism!), though some of it was covered by the state, the guy is married, expecting a kid and holding down a good job. He also recommended a medication for my friend because his ticks have been keeping him up at night lately. May seem like a boring story, but I just thought it was really cool that my friend ran into this guy at this particular time in his life, and I know that it really meant a lot to my friend to meet somebody who has struggled with the same condition he has, and has essentially beaten it and gone on to be successful.

I told him "Man, that's cool that you ran into the guy right now, kinda like it's fate or something huh?" And he said in his always goofy and funny way, "The stars are aligning, kid!"

You can find inspiration anywhere you look, can't you?

iolite
26-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Really cool example of the "stars aligning".

I read an article a few years back about a brain surgeon who had tourettes. He was able to perform brain surgery without his tourettes causing twitches in his hand. His son would collect words for him so he wasn't stuck with the same words all the time... one of his ticks was repeating a word over and over.

Ivy
26-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Thats a heart warming story...thankyou so much for sharing it...the world needs more of them I reckon x

celery
27-03-2011, 03:54 AM
That's a really nice and heart-warming story... except of the capitalism part, but who cares! :rolleyes:
Isn't it interesting how everything is up to interpretation? Just for a second, I thought it was a signal that starts were telling your friend that he should get (somehow) that surgery, too, but I guess it's just that when going though difficulties, a fellow man's existance is arguably the best support we can get.
I have a non-visually noticeable disease (my personal cross to bear), and from now on I think I'll be more open about it so the day I run into someone, they can feel they're not alone.
Thank you.