PDA

View Full Version : Question to everyone...?

spirit72
17-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Ok I struggle to except that mediums charge for reading... I dont because I don't feel comfortable, but keep being told to charge, as the money completes the energy exchange...?
I dont feel happy about it, because everyone should be able to have readings... But my family and mentor are getting cross with me because I bleed myself dry for nothing, but I don't see it that way...

What do you think...?

How much would you expect to be charged...?

Spiritlite
17-03-2011, 05:33 PM
Yeah I have that same issue. When I was giving readings I would do it via email probably back and forth 10 emails taking a lot of my time, and I would only charge 10 bucks. I didn't like to take the money but I had to because I felt it helped the person. If they couldn't afford it was free.
I feel it's up to you. I know one pyschic my mom used go to had a jar, and when she was done with the reading (she was very good) she didn't expect payment but if you wanted to pay she would leave the jar for you to put money in. Whethere you did or didn't or whether it was a buck or a hundred she didn't mind.

Venus
17-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Myself, I don't like to give readings but gave one to a member of this forum for free with good results that are accurate.Charity does not hurt but if you put your whole heart in it we all need to feed ourselves.

LightFilledHeart
17-03-2011, 06:03 PM
I see it as a service like any other. Most of us have had years of training in our craft, and in many instances devote our lives and careers to assisting others with our well honed skills. Should we not be compensated for the service we had trained for and provide? Do we not need to live in the material world like everyone else? Pay our rent? Purchase food and clothing? Put gas in our car? [I do not hold with people who goudge, charging enormous fees for as little as a 15 minute reading, such as Sylvia Brown. That's another issue altogether!]

And there is this, too. Although I charge for my services, it is also quite true that I do a substantial amount of pro bono work, giving my time and assistance without remuneration of any kind to anyone whose who has the need for same but does not possess the resources to pay! So if you're asking me what I think, that pretty well encapsulates it. Having said that, I must add that although I do charge for Reiki attunements, I have never felt comfortable charging for Reiki healing sessions. I have always left that open to whatever the person wishes to give in exchange, IF they can! If not, I simply ask them to pray for me :smile:

The bottom line is, if you possess high character, purity of intent, have been well trained in your field and move from your heart, you will always know what is appropriate for you and what is not in terms of whether to charge and if so how much. It may not be what is right for another, of course, for each must determine that for his or herself. We are all individuals and one person's "right" may not be another's :smile:

mac
17-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Charge if you need to - don't if you don't.....

Murciélago
17-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I like the jar idea spiritlite. I don't charge money for any magic services, I ask to sip their energy abit. Payed in full even if they have no money it works. Im waiting to be yelled at...

mac
17-03-2011, 09:15 PM
magic? shaking head in disbelief....

Enya
17-03-2011, 10:27 PM
I never used to charge, until my spirit friends insisted I did. Even then, I resisted but since they'd previously told me not to charge, I kinda had to trust them... :smile: I charge to cover my time, my training (and my donations toward that) and items required for my work. If I didn't, I couldn't afford to do much of anything as my daily wages are stretched thin. Having said that, I've recently dropped the prices because of the recession and I do pro bono work when it feels right to do so. It all balances out.

To find what to charge, you might want to dowse it... that's how I check that I'm not being greedy. :smile:

athribiristan
18-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Ok I struggle to except that mediums charge for reading... I dont because I don't feel comfortable, but keep being told to charge, as the money completes the energy exchange...?
I dont feel happy about it, because everyone should be able to have readings... But my family and mentor are getting cross with me because I bleed myself dry for nothing, but I don't see it that way...

What do you think...?

My solution was to accept donations. People can give or not based on what moves them.

tmf
18-03-2011, 01:06 AM
The people who need readings the most have no money to pay.

blackraven
18-03-2011, 01:42 AM
I agree with LightFilledHeart because I spent 3 years studying graphology and when it came time to charge for my services people were lining up to get free handwriting analysis from me. That took detailed studying of the hand writing on my part and hours of typing up lengthy reports to document my findings. My own mother even offered my skills to her coworkers for free. It got to the point where I just had to turn people down because the work was too time-consuming and I was not being compensated for it. I paid a lot of money to study my trade and spent 3 years studying it. I am a certified graphologist. I take my profession very seriously. If people want my services I don't see any reason why I shouldn't charge a reasonable fee for it. I'm sure the same scenario applies to mediums/clairvoyants as well.

Blackraven

Elfay
18-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Spirit72, I almost started a thread on mediums who charge way too much. I understand how they too need to make a living but how much is too much ? I am not a medium, however, I would probably struggle with the same dilema as you are. Especially if I was as good as you. I find myself disgusted with the likes of Chip Coffey who will never give a free reading and flaunts his wealth showing off pics of his new car he just bought, on his Facebook account.

Summerland
18-03-2011, 02:34 AM
If and when I do Reiki treatments or attunements, I have never charged. Once work tried to pay me extra for coming in early to do a reiki treatment (The only one ever ordered on our floor) and I told them to deduct the extra pay and only give me the regular pay for coming in early. What was passed on to me was a gift and I would simply not feel right in charging. For someone who had to pay for the expensive courses and attunements should be reimbursed , if they are doing it as a living. I know that some do readings for a living and do not see anything wrong in being reimbursed. If it is a gift and you don't need the payments, then do what you feel right.

ROM
18-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Everyone has a right to earn a living from whatever path they have chosen. You think that, just because mediums have this inherent psychic ability, there should be no fee? So writers who have a gift for writing shouldn't be paid for their works, and musicians shouldn't be paid for their performances?

Tiss
18-03-2011, 04:36 AM
I think that you should listen your own heart rather than follow other people's advises.

Just take our views as a reference, but your heart will tell you about your true will. I mean, maybe you want to do a reading to someone for free, and then you want to do a charged one, depending on people and circumstances.

You should feel that you are absolutely free to do what your heart tells you.

If you bring the issue here, may be you are thinking that it is unfair with yourself not to charge at all. If it is the case, just do it! Or adopt the free contribution system.

But above all, just only do the readings you want, without any compromise.

You should feel comfortable with any your decisions. You are so good to be struggling with minor issues, rather, you should be relaxed and focused on developing your wonderful skill at the highest level as possible.

With love,

TISS :hug:

dennisoc
18-03-2011, 05:37 AM
I assist disabled people with every possible aspect of their daily living. Now thats a wonderful thing. These people need help. Do I or the nurses feel guilty about being paid? Is there someone out there who could possibly make us feel guilty about buying our kids food?

Charge whatever people are willing to pay. If you are mediocre you will not be able to charge much. If you are fantastic then people will pay big bucks to have your service. Giving those who are poor a way to pay you is a nice way to do business also. Think with your head. Feel with your heart.

den

Moon Willow
18-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Like anything, if you invest in something then its natural to receive a return, as long as you do it with love, honesty and integrity then I think its a great thing.

I think if you're not comfortable giving a price then donations of what people can afford are a good idea.

The other way to look at it too, is you might be helping your sitters/clients to feel better. Alot of people would feel better if they could give something in return, even if its only small (I know I would).

Just my thoughts,
Moon x x x

Smiler
18-03-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Spirit
I give freely as I am called to do :)
Your best answer would come from your own guides. :)

love and light on your journey
:)

Summerland
18-03-2011, 07:40 AM
Everyone has a right to earn a living from whatever path they have chosen. You think that, just because mediums have this inherent psychic ability, there should be no fee? So writers who have a gift for writing shouldn't be paid for their works, and musicians shouldn't be paid for their performances?

I am not saying what is right for me is right for anyone else. I have a job that I love (most of the time) and I expect to be paid for my time. Many people have to pay thousands of dollars to learn Rieki. I did not; it was passed on to me from a student of William Rands.
If a psychic is doing readings as a living or expends time that could be doing something else and if they want to charge, there is no fault in that. If someone is trying to sharpen their skills to become better AND volunteers to do readings, then if they expect to be paid, that should be made clear at the time of offering to do the reading. If I were to set up an appointment with a psychic, I would certainly expect to pay for that service. If a psychic stopped me on the street to tell me that she saw something (whatever it might be) about me, I don't think that I would be expexted to pay for that.
A writer or musician should be paid whatever is agreed upon by those concerned.Regardless if it is a natural talent or not, if that is their profession of course they should be paid. If they pick up a guitar to play while they are at a friends house, they likely would not expect to be paid.

LadyB.
18-03-2011, 12:02 PM
Typically the people I see are those that are unable to move on with their lives through grief. Pure mediumship, not fortune-telling or prediction stuff.

I would not feel right charging. However if someone wants to make a donation or gift that is entirely up to them.

I make enough to make ends meet though my usual day to day work.
My payment spiritually is more than enough for my mediumistic abilities.

LB
X

Internal Queries
18-03-2011, 01:11 PM
when i read tarot i never charged for a reading. somehow it felt ... wrong (for me), like the exchange of money dirtied the vibes somehow. i did accept non-cash gifts if the person i read for needed to give me something. pastries, a scarf, a little piece of jewelry, a book ... stuff like that.

but just because accepting money for readings felt wrong for me doesn't mean i feel it's wrong for other folks to charge for their psychic services.

easy
18-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I like the many responses here... there is nothing wrong in receiving money from another.. the problem lies in which way is the money being exchanged.

The Spirit tends to repay us in so many ways... many more profitable in the long run that 5 bucks now :)

Ravens_Light
19-03-2011, 09:15 PM

What do you think...?

Hello Spirit..

I do understand the idea of exchange of energies and it makes sense..

But you might offer to those who are counseling to charge, that you ARE receiving... You feel good when you provide this service to others! The exchange does not have to involve an exchange of money..

I would say let YOUR feelings be your guide..... It may appear to others that you are being 'bled dry' but if you do not feel that way - it is simply not so...

Other people's opinions and feelings matter in that they have the value of opening you up to new ideas and alternate perspectives of your self and your situation.. They cause you to ask yourself how you feel about your situation (or yourself) but still the most important factor to consider is how you feel about it ultimately..

It sounds like you are firm in how good you feel about what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Now just because that is the case now doesn't mean that you won't find yourself feeling differently later and that's ok!

Periodic re-evaluation of your beliefs and ways of operating is healthy.

At the same time, considering alternatives doesn't mean you have to change anything either...:smile:

Go with your feelings... They are you best guidance!

Blessings to you!

Cam/EarthMamma

Ciqala
20-03-2011, 06:56 AM
i don't believe that spirit asks for money. it is unacceptable to charge for any spiritual practice or healing or growth. furthermore, there's this guy who holds those groups for "introductory to shamanism" (how on earth do you hold an introductory class to shamanism in an hour) or "how to meet your spirit guides" basic tiny things for 500 dollars an hour, i just know that everyones spirit guides are going to be in that room, and if those people manage to communicate to their guides, the spirit guides will be like "what the? Who does this guy think he is? We never asked for money!" and they'll probably throw invisible tomatoes or spit balls at him.

I mean, i used to help hold ceremonies, and it was the same thing. People would bring extravagant jewellery or money for me and my mentor, and we'd just look at each other, and say, "okay, well did you bring an offering to spirit?" And the spirits would be not amused!
I'm just so against charging money for these things, because if your trying to help someone, do it out of love, not your pocket book ego. I've gone to so many groups, where some hippy chick does a few yoga postures and labels it meditation, and asks for 12 dollars from each person, for absolutely nothing. Or spiritual groups where they give you a tea bag, and a little discussion, but it all costs 100 bucks.
And i would never trust any medium or psychic who asks for money.
I mean come on, i live under 300 dollars a month, and i can still get by helping people for free. spirituality shouldn't be a business. this is probably the only thing in the world that can get me worked up. All apologies
(done my rant)

Serenity Bear
20-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I wondered when this time old arguement would rear its head.

In the mediumship circles there are two trains of thoughts, those that wont charge (its a gift) and those who do charge (its an energy transaction) and oh its Spirit lead I can't charge etc etc etc.

Lets put it this way and Spirit agree whole heartedly:

If you can do readings and live without charging then do so HOWEVER if you will starve, loose your house, become in debt because you need the money then CHARGE.

This has nothing whats so ever to do with Spirit, they would never expect you to live below a decent income level and get into debt by not charging. It has everything to do with the mentality of those who believe mediumship is a devine gift.

If someone was a great pianist, artists, patchworker, dog behaviourist etc etc you wouldnt expect them to do things for free every time, so why expect mediumship to be the same. By the way a gift doesnt need a lot of hard work and training to do it properly and anyone who is a decent medium has had many years in development circles, and Spirit.

Everyone has different financial needs and it really gets my goat that some put on their hats to put down other mediums because they need to charge to be able to eat.

Iv never charged because I have never financially had to, but believe me if its the difference between a roof over my head and food in the cupboard I will.

PS: I am talking of charging the average amount (about £20-35), and not like some American Mediums Iv heard of who charge $3000 per session.

Emmalevine
20-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I can't see the issue. Mediums have to buy their bread and butter like everyone else. If they are fortunate enough to be in a positive to help many people they will be giving up their time and hence will need money to make ends meet. If they are lucky to not need extra money and can offer services for free then fine, but I suspect most are not in that position. Therapists/counsellors and other helping professionals also charge but it doesn't mean their services aren't genuine or that they don't care, or even that they shouldn't charge. 99.9% of the time they are offering their services because they DO care, but caring sadly doesn't make them immune to needing food and a roof over their heads.

earthprowler
20-03-2011, 11:52 AM
i don't get to give readings as much as i would like to and i've never charged, even given two hour readings as long as spirit stays with me. but the best payment i have ever received was when I "saw" grandma bringing the new baby who lives across the street from me. he's 4 now and cute as a button. that was worth every penny.

cluckt
20-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Im not a medium, but i know your very good at what you do, and for the service you provide i would usually expect to pay something. It takes alot of your time and you should be compensated in some way for that. xxx

eyesee
20-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I too have had times when I felt that I should not charge for services that are of a spiritual nature...and so I did not charge.

I have always lived a very modest and oft times impoverished life as an adult, but I do NOT believe that this is because I must. I also do not feel that charging for a service is "bad".

I found that asking for a donation; meaning, whatever someone felt was appropriate and also IF they felt I was helpful to them to begin with, worked well for me.

However, I agree with others here who have said that we are not expected to starve and martyr ourselves to be of service with our psychic gifts. ALL of our gifts are given by spirit, whether it be the gift of song, molecular biologist, mechanic, hairdresser or poet...we give of ourselves and share our strengths in order to be a part of this life. Money is just ONE form of energy exchange and nothing to get so hung up on. It is not evil, it is just one way to show that we value a service...that's all.

OK...so, I guess that's it from my corner...(stepping quietly of the soapbox now...:tongue: )

Blessings all,
eyesee

tragblack
20-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Before I pay for anything, I see if I can do it myself.