PDA

View Full Version : A Spirituality of Transfiguration

nightowl
15-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I wanted to share this hoping it would speak to your spirit as it did to mine. :hug3:

What are your views of these excerpts?

Please feel free to share your thoughts on what you read here.

A Spirituality of Transfiguration
Excerpt from Anam Cara by John O’Donohue

Spirituality is the art of transfiguration. We should not force ourselves to change by hammering our lives into any predetermined shape. We do not need to operate according to the idea of a predetermined program or plan for our lives. Rather, we need to practice a new art of attention to inner rhythm of our days and lives. This attention brings a new awareness of our own human and divine presence…

…It is far more creative to work with the idea of mindfulness rather than with the idea of will. Too often people try to change their lives by using the will as a kind of hammer to beat their life into proper shape. The intellect identifies the goal of the program, and the will accordingly forces the life into that shape. This way of approaching the sacredness of one’s own presence is externalist and violent. It brings you falsely outside yourself, and you can spend years lost in the wilderness of your own mechanical, spiritual programs. You can perish in a famine of your own making.

If you work with a different rhythm, you will come easily and naturally home to yourself. Your soul knows the geography of your destiny. Your soul alone has the map of your future; therefore you can trust this, indirect, oblique side of yourself. If you do, it will take you where you need to go, but more important it will teach you a kindness of rhythm in your journey…

…By being attuned to the wisdom of your senses, you will never become an exile in your own life, an outsider lost in an external spiritual place that your will and intellect have constructed.

nightowl

themaster
15-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I wanted to share this hoping it would speak to your spirit as it did to mine. :hug3:

What are your views of these excerpts?Sounds good..

It might be simpler to say.. "balance is the key"

In work with my teacher I have learned new appreciation for vibrations like "balance" and "ease" they feel very nice.. I also work with vibrations of "allowing" and "permission" a lot too..

nightowl
15-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Sounds good..

In work with my teacher I have learned new appreciation for vibrations like "balance" and "ease" they feel very nice.. I also work with vibrations of "allowing" and "permission" a lot too..

Thanks themaster for your response. Yes, balance is very important and it is a wonderful step to learn on our journey. :smile:

spirit72
15-03-2011, 11:22 PM
I agree in full, I maybe unable to work through illness, but my life has been enriched in just the way this article speaks of, and although don't like being ill, I love what it has brought me in other ways, great article thank you:color:

nightowl
15-03-2011, 11:28 PM
I agree in full, I maybe unable to work through illness, but my life has been enriched in just the way this article speaks of, and although don't like being ill, I love what it has brought me in other ways, great article thank you:color:

I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it spoke to your situation. I sure hope you feel better soon :hug: .

tragblack
15-03-2011, 11:32 PM
We should not force ourselves to change by hammering our lives into any predetermined shape. We do not need to operate according to the idea of a predetermined program or plan for our lives. Rather, we need to practice a new art of attention to inner rhythm of our days and lives. This attention brings a new awareness of our own human and divine presence…

Sounds like Alan Watts. Or perhaps I have been listening to him too much.

Balance and mindfulness aren't necessarily the same.

nightowl
15-03-2011, 11:44 PM
Balance and mindfulness aren't necessarily the same.

I have to agree I would tend to think that balance is developed after mindfulness is established. They are both aspects of an awakening spirit freed from the borders of standard religious thought though, don't you think? :smile:

tragblack
15-03-2011, 11:53 PM
I have to agree I would tend to think that balance is developed after mindfulness is established. They are both aspects of an awakening spirit freed from the borders of standard religious thought though, don't you think? :smile:

Both are advents of spiritual thought, however:

Balance is a forceful (though not the violent kind) structuring of life (not choosing some things over others and vice-versa-- middle path stuff),

while mindfulness is just an attention to what is.

blackraven
16-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I like this, nightowl. It resonates with me because it seems that many years ago I spent a lot of time trying to be spiritual. Eventually I gave up the struggle and when I stopped trying I just was. It's true that one must live in the moment and not "force ourselves to change by hammering our lives into any predetermined shape" as said in your post. Good stuff. :)

Blackraven

nightowl
16-03-2011, 12:14 AM
I like this, nightowl. It resonates with me because it seems that many years ago I spent a lot of time trying to be spiritual. Eventually I gave up the struggle and when I stopped trying I just was. It's true that one must live in the moment and not "force ourselves to change by hammering our lives into any predetermined shape" as said in your post. Good stuff. :)

Blackraven

Hey glad it resonated with you. Yeah, I too have quite a few hammer marks from my own efforts in the past as well. It feels soooo good to just be! :smile:
To flow with the rhythm...

William Schuck
17-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Your mind is on a make believe journey, your soul is not. Your spirit is not having a philosophical conversation with itself, only your mind is. You are not lost or confused, only your mind is.